The Horse

Library Laughter

The smell of stale paper in the library was nearly overpowering. As he walked through the towering aisles, Mingyu diligently looked for a book to use as a reference for his class report. In his Ecosystems class, each student was provided an animal species to research. Because of his absence on the day animals were chosen, Mingyu was stuck with the horse. 
'What fun were horses? Such incredibly boring, simple creatures. This report would be the most uninteresting experience of his high school career.' He thought, dread weighing his steps as he walked.
'Could they make it any harder to find library books?' 
Finally, on a shelf close to the floor, he spotted the small section on horses. By small, he found a measly three books thinner than his pinky finger. He gathered all three of the pathetically small books and moved to a work table to start his research. The first book he pulled off the stack to start was cleverly titled, "The Horse". With his notebook paper and pencil ready, he  turned to the first page. On the very inside cover, next to the title page, a green sticky note was hanging. The green paper had a short written message on it.
'"The Horse" how creative, I'm already soooo excited.' 
The utter sarcasm that the message housed made Mingyu chuckle at the desk. Soon after, a student from a nearby desk, turned around and shot him a dirty look. He quietly looked down and flipped to the next page. He skimmed each page trying to take in as much information as he could and wrote on his paper what he thought was important. 
One painful page down, seventeen pages to go.
The next page held another sticky note. The section where it was located talked about the parts and body of a horse. The sticky note read:
'Is it just me, or is this all very common sense?'
On the adjacent page, another note was left.

'The only reason I'm reading this book is for a project, who on earth would read this for fun?'

While he read over the sticky notes left on various pages, Mingyu couldn't control his laughter. Every single thing he read was way too relatable. 
"Excuse me sir, if you can't be quiet, you need to find another place to work." The bone - chilling voice of the librarian came from behind him.
"Oh! Sorry.. sorry." Mingyu apologized to the nearly ancient looking man. He continued on in his reading, struggling to be as quiet as possible. He came across many more sticky notes in the book with various comments such as:
'Wow. Amazing.'
'Horses: such simple creatures that reading a book about them is practically useless' 
'I had no idea horses ate throught their mouths.'
'What am I doing with my life?'
And many, many more. 
Mingyu was practically reduced to tears from trying to contain his laughter, he couldn't hold it in any longer. He let out the most ridiculous snort followed by boisterous chuckling. Angry whispers reminded him that he was in a library. Yet again he could hear the furious footsteps of the wretched, old librarian who was making his way over to him. Quickly he shut the book. 
"Young man, what could be so funny that you NEED to make a commotion in the library. The other students cannot study in peace. I'm going to have to ask you to leave." The old man said to him in a harsh whisper. 
"Sorry sir, I'll leave." 
Mingyu quickly checked the book out and headed to the cafeteria. 
He sat at the nearest table, eager to read the last two pages and whatever green notes he would find there. The last note in the book read:
'Hey, I hope you enjoyed my snarky little comments. Anything to make this stupid book a little more enjoyable, right? -Wonwoo" 
Mingyu nearly gasped. There was a kid in his Advanced Chemistry class named Wonwoo. Could it possibly be him? He was in the year above him in school and awfully quiet. He'd be surprised if it was him, but he didn't know of any other Wonwoo's in the school. There's no better way to find out.

The next day, Mingyu walked into his morning Advanced Chemistry class and sat by the quiet, yet dare he say, handsome senior. He set the book on the desk, very visible to the older boy. Wonwoo looked up from his dazed state to the desk. Alas he spotted the infamous horse book. His whole body stiffened as he looked up at the tall junior boy. Mingyu held a cocky, know-it-all grin on his face and confidently said to the other boy, 
"I heard you really like horses, Wonwoo." 
Wonwoo rubbed the back of his neck and nervously bit his lip. 
"Well... reports can get pretty boring and so I made it a bit more interesting." He tried explaining. 
Mingyu laughed, making Wonwoo smile. 
"Mind if I sit here? You owe me for getting me kicked out of the library." Mingyu teased the senior.
"Yeah sure, take a seat." Wonwoo replied pulling his bag out from the chair beside him. "And... if you need any help on that horse report, give me a call." He added with a bright smile. Wonwoo slipped a folded green sticky note across the desk. This time with his number on it. Maybe, Mingyu would be getting to know Wonwoo more after all.