Part 4 (B)

Ancestry

Thank you for all of the supports/comments/criticisms along the way. 

 

They have been traveling for a few hours in the afternoon. Jongin has been restless during the whole search, unable to stay still when they are given time to rest. It's a relief for Baekhyun when he sees a familiar figure appearing before them. It’s a teleporter from another search team-- it should mean good news.

"A team found them," is the only thing the person says before Jongin disappears without warning.

"Great. He left us," Baekhyun mutters.

The other teleporter chuckles before he gestures Baekhyun and Suho to stand next to him so they can teleport.

It's messy in the camp. Wolves are running around as they prepare to get ready for the rescue mission. Baekhyun can only stand on the side as everyone gets to their places. He's distracted until he hears a loud howl-- the camp recognizes its leader calling.

It signals them to run towards the designated meeting place, the large tent they would use for eating.

"Everyone, settle down!" Eunhyuk commands, and most of the wolves stop moving in their place.

"We all know what happens to prisoners for the first 24 hours. We don't have time to wait so we're leaving in a few minutes. If you're not ready, stay in the camp. Eunhyuk will lead this fight. Report to him for your tasks," Minseok declares before walking away from them. Warriors immediately crowd Eunhyuk, and Minseok immediately walks towards his mate, smiling as he reaches Baekhyun's side.

"Hi," he says softly before burying his face into his mate's neck. His arms instinctively wrap around his waist.

"What's wrong?"

Minseok smiles against his neck, relieved that Baekhyun can read him so well.

"What makes you think that something is wrong?" the elder teases.

"We're in the middle of preparing for war, and you're cuddling against me. Usually, you're too busy to even greet me."

"Sorry," the elder mumbles against his neck, guilt overwhelming him.

"I don't mind. I never do." He holds the elder closer into his embrace.

The area is becoming quieter, and Minseok knows that his wolves will depart soon. So he reluctantly lets go of Baekhyun, takes his hand, and guides him into their hut. He can smell the confusion emitting from Baekhyun, but he needs to break this news privately.

"Love?" Baekhyun asks when they enter their hut.

It's larger than most huts, but it's good enough for them. Baekhyun loves how much it reminds him of his childhood home.

"Come here," Minseok whispers and grabs the younger's hand. He pulls it closer while slowly rising his shirt. He nervously his lips before letting the warm palm presses against the small bump.

Baekhyun simply rubs his stomach before meeting his mate's eyes in amusement.

"Yes, even the little flab of your stomach is cute,” he teases.

Minseok blushes quickly and makes an indignant noise before he is able form coherent thoughts. He swats his mate’s hand away and pushes him from his personal space. He huffs, turns around, and is too embarrassed to look back. He hates the fact that he can’t even reveal good news without messing up.

“I’m kidding,” Baekhyun says softly and tries to grab Minseok’s elbow, coaxing the elder to return to his embrace. Minseok is unrelenting as he pulls his arm away and ignores his mate’s words. He walks towards their bed and pretends it needs to be fixed, despite the fact it hasn’t been touched for a few days. It’s his obsessive disorder with tidiness that keeps their tent clean, and surprisingly, Baekhyun never complains.

“I’m sorry. Please look at me.” Baekhyun’s tone change, immediately worried that he has upset his mate. Minseok remains quiet though, unwilling to voice his concerns. He’s worried that Baekhyun will not like this news, especially since the younger doesn’t seem to understand the meaning of his gestures. Maybe it’s too early for us, maybe I should just keep quiet and not tell him yet…

“Minseok?” Baekhyun tries again and steps closer towards his mate. He resists the urge to wrap his arms around him or to touch him, but it’s hard. They’ve always been touchy towards each other.

The elder is still unresponsive, merely his lips, and drowning in his thoughts. What if he hates my decision for keeping him? What will I do if he doesn’t want us anymore? Can I raise him alone and lead fifty wolves?

Baekhyun is shocked when he smells fear emitting from Minseok, a rare scent. He’s suddenly anxious and forgoes his decision on keeping some space between them. He doesn’t think twice when he envelops his arms around the elder and nuzzles his nose towards his scent gland. He emits a calming scent to surround their hut, hoping his mate will relax.

“It’s okay. I’m not going anywhere.”

Minseok doesn’t hear it. He’s still panicking internally and the emotions are clouding his logic. He can only hear He’s going to leave you. He’ll never love that pup. What were you thinking? What will you become when you’re mateless with a pup?! He doesn’t notice his hand disappearing inside his shirt, unconsciously rubbing against the bump. He’s slowly falling into self loathing, and he allows the depressing thoughts to fill his mind. He’s ready to give up and just --

Oh...this is...nice.

The gentle rubbing from Baekhyun’s hand on his stomach stops any more negative thoughts from appearing. He’s steadily brought back into reality, and Baekhyun is whispering softly into his ear.

“Come back to me. I love you.”

His heart swells, and his stomach flutters excitedly. It feels like the first time when they confessed their feelings to each other. Courage rushes back into his veins, and he’s turning around to face his mate.

“Hi,” Baekhyun greets him with a small smile, refusing to let his mate go from his arms.

Minseok simply takes Baekhyun’s hand from his back and places it again on his stomach. He stares back into his mate’s eyes, determined to follow through with this.

“I really want you to meet him.”

A raised eyebrow followed by realization is Baekhyun’s reaction. He smiles even wider before pressing his lips against Minseok’s. Baekhyun’s hand never leaves his stomach, and he can feel the warmth of light trying to burst through his skin-- Baekhyun wants to meet their pup so badly.

“I really want to meet him, too.”

***

Teleporters can only teleport a certain number of wolves at one time, so they had to plan accordingly. Each one can teleport four to five wolves, depending on their degree. Luckily, the pack has four available teleporters and that covers three quarters of warriors that will join the fight. The other ten wolves will arrive with flighters.

Everyone arrives within a few minutes. Eunhyuk gestures to everyone to remain quiet. It’s a slow attack as they send teleporters and mind wolves first to distract the guards. Then, the warriors charge at the east and west sides, boxing in any escapes before they meet in front of the cave. It doesn’t take long for them to disable all twenty guards, and soon, they’re waiting for further instructions from Eunhyuk at the front of the entrance.

“We’ve got a problem,” Heechul rasps out as two other wolves follow him. Eunhyuk nods for the elder to continue.

“What?! What is it?!” Jongin immediately interrupts and pushes Eunhyuk out of the way.

“Brat, calm down.” Heechul rolls his eyes while huffing in response. Eunhyuk places a hand gently on Jongin’s shoulder, signaling him not to respond to Heechul’s comment.

“Enough. Get on with it.”

“A guard mentioned that some prisoners escaped, which explains why the area isn’t as heavily guarded as we thought.”

“I see.”

“What does that mean?” Jongin asks with frustration.

“Jongdae and Chanyeol may be around the area but not inside the cave.” Heechul resists the urge to roll his eyes again.

“Alright, then-- ”

Eunhyuk’s sentence is cut off when they hear rushed footsteps. Kris is in their sight, and he’s out of breath, possibly with news. The flight wolf is supposed to stay in camp with Minseok, as second in command.

“Changmin’s warrior came to the camp. Minseok says it’s urgent.”

Jongin realizes that returning to camp will take priority over rescuing his mate, but he’s still against this decision.

“Relax! Heechul will go with you and help you rescue them. If my hunch is right, the rebels are regrouping, and only a few will try to recapture the prisoners. They haven’t had them long enough so they don’t need to worry about loose ends.”

Jongin remains quiet but is still internally conflicted over this decision. He wants more wolves helping him. Yixing is the one who voices Jongin's displeasure, and he pulls Eunhyuk to the side to argue.

“Hey.” Baekhyun places his hand on Jongin’s shoulder. “You’ll find him, and he’ll be fine.”

Jongin nods as he feels a small squeeze on his shoulder.

"Why are you not worried? Only two wolves will search for them now."

"Because I won't always be there for Jongdae, and someone is there to take my place." Baekhyun gestures towards Yixing. "Jongdae was never weak in my eyes. I know he'll be fine."

"Do you think he's the best choice for him?" Jongin turns the topic to Jongdae’s potential mate. It's no secret that Yixing's actions towards Jongdae have caused some misery to the younger.

"Honestly, yes."

Despite Yixing's insistence that two wolves aren't enough and that they should also send another wolf, as in him, he lost the argument. So the healer wolf pulls Jongin away from the group and makes sure the teleporter knows what he should do for any type of injuries.

"So remember, don't give the red vial unless they're losing blood. And this vial is only for when they get infected wounds-- "

"I get it. I'm good," Jongin stresses.

"Okay, and.." Yixing hesitates before he pulls out something from his pocket. Jongin merely raises an eyebrow before letting the younger continues.

"It's for Jongdae. Please?" he pleads, and Jongin nods, understanding Yixing's intent.

***

The black haired man walks closer and closer as Jongdae runs away from him. He feels suffocated by how narrow this path is, and his anxiety grows when he hits a dead end. He looks at the offensive wall, anger traveling through his veins, but it does nothing to make the wall disappear.

He turns around, thinking he can escape before the man catches him. But it's too late. The man smirks as he takes a few more steps, but Jongdae is ready to attack back.

The first tug catches his attention, his wrist being knotted by a flying rope. He struggles to get it off, even trying to burn it with lightning, but it doesn't work. Then. he feels his second wrist being restricted in the same way.

He screams, kicks and cries as he sees the man approaching even closer. His heart pounds heavily, and he holds back the urge to vomit when he feels a slimy hand caressing his face.

He hates the natural reactions his body gives when the man touches him in the right places, sensitive areas that only his mate should know. He doesn't want this man’s dirty hand on him, and he doesn't want anyone else making him feel good. He wants Yixing--

He gasps, air rushing in too fast, and he's horrified. His tears are starting to build up, and he's  high strung by the recent memories of his dreams. He shudders and wishes Heechul taught him how to block out horrible memories, but for now, he'll have to concentrate on reality.

The cold is beginning to numb his fingers. He realizes that he needs to recharge his energy, but there is no thunderstorm to help him. He needs food, shelter and water, but his main concern is Chanyeol. When he feels the elder's skin, it's too hot to the touch, and he's worried that the elder might get pneumonia, or worse, lose the pups.

He stands up slowly, assessing his surrounding. It’s dark. The trees are now starting to look like creepy shadows, and Jongdae is unsure of his first move.

He decides to go with instinct-- they need food and water. He goes near the river, collecting water into a wide leaf that was fashioned into a bowl. Once it is full, he slowly walks to Chanyeol’s side and sits beside him. He’s glad that the elder has shifted to human form so he only has to lift the elder’s head into his lap before parting his lips. He tries to slowly feed him water, but it fails horribly as Chanyeol starts to splutter. The bowl falls as a result.  He’s irritated that he has to collect more water, but at least Chanyeol is awake despite the fever.

“Sorry. Let me help you up.” Jongdae scoops the elder’s underarms and lifts his a little higher so only Chanyeol’s heels drag across the ground. He places him against a tree, allowing the elder to sit up. “I’m going to look for food, okay? Try to stay awake for me.”

There was no reply, just a few blinks as Chanyeol blankly stares ahead. Jongdae drags a rather large branch beside the elder and bends the elder's arm so that the left hand remains hanging in the air. He needs to make sure that the blood flow is restricted for that arm.

He figures the easiest food he can get is rabbits since it’s too cold to swim in the river for fish. So he treks carefully and silently as he sniffs the air, until he finally sees a brown rabbit hiding inside the hole of a tree.

It’s heartwrenching for him. He has never taken pleasure in killing for food, unlike some alphas. So he catches it and snaps its neck, quickly and painlessly. He swings the dead rabbit over his shoulder and starts collecting branches to make fire.

When he returns, Chanyeol is asleep, which worries Jongdae. He doesn’t know how much blood the elder has lost, and they don’t have any medicine. So he’s fastening his pace as he arranges the branches before emitting lightning of the lowest voltage. He needs to make sure he’s not destroying the branches, since it’s very easy for him to emit so much energy.

He sighs in relief when fire starts to crackle. He then runs to Chanyeol, knowing the elder needs this warmth before anything else. He drags his friend’s body closer to the fire and lays him gently into the ground. He smiles when he sees the fire waver towards Chanyeol, as if the elder is absorbing it into his body. Fire wolves tend to absorb any fire just like how Jongdae would absorb lightning’s energy.

While he watches over the changes in Chanyeol’s skin color, Jongdae starts to prepare a thick branch that he will use to spit the rabbit. The branch has small thorns sticking out, and he’ll use them to keep the rabbit stuck to the stick. By the time he finishes, he's too hungry, his patience is wearing thin, but he keeps the frustration inside.

He sits beside Chanyeol and starts cooking the rabbit . The few crickets and occasional howls from their surroundings keep Jongdae company. It feels long in his mind, staring at the fire while waiting for the rabbit to cook, but once it’s done, he’s just so happy that they can eat something.

The good thing about being a thunderwolf is that his skin can withhold high temperatures. So he doesn’t need the cooked meat to cool down as he hurriedly tears pieces apart, biting into it without a second thought. He feeds himself first because he knows the elder will be dependent on him.

By the time he finishes half, he coaxes the elder to open his mouth and feeds strips of meat. He knows the fire wolf will not have much of an appetite, so he forces more pieces into him, at least half the rabbit’s chest.

Chanyeol seems to be in and out of consciousness, sometimes weakly smiling at Jongdae’s efforts. The younger only wants him to regain some strength, but for now, they should rest. He lays close to Chanyeol but far enough to not be touching. Jongdae doesn't think he can handle any form of skinship at the moment so he hopes the elder will understand.

***

It’s the drizzle of water and the smell of wet grass that wakes him up. Jongdae lifts his head up and looks around. The fire is gone, and Chanyeol somehow managed to cuddle next to him. He panics, still restless from the recent nightmare and assault, so he pushes the elder away quickly. He feels guilty when the elder grumbles in pain, but he can't stand the feeling of someone’s skin touching his.

Then he hears it -- thunder booming across the forest -- and he grins, excitement rushing through his veins. He needs to get into an open field and attract lightning so he can reenergize.

An idea strikes him at the last minute, and he’s determined to do it. Heechul may kill him if he ever finds out he did this, and Baekhyun may beat his for being a suicidal wolf.. but it’s for his and Chanyeol’s sake. He has to try this.

He drags Chanyeol to the river’s side and positions him to sit a little. He knows that the best position would be wrapping his arms around the elder, but he doesn't think he can stomach the feeling of someone else against his chest. So he figures his back touching Chanyeol’s will be less worse.

He ignores the queasy feeling in his stomach as he leans against Chanyeol's back, arms hooking around Chanyeol’s arms. Then he concentrates, remembering the steps to attract lightning.

It strikes him with enough force to cause whiplash, but Jongdae regains his balance before Chanyeol’s weight flattens him. He lets the lightning seep into his veins, cells and organs for only a few seconds before passing it to Chanyeol and the rest to the water. Chanyeol gasps at the sensation, his eyes wide open and mouth gaping. Jongdae knows the elder’s body isn’t made to withstand so much energy so he’s quick to take it back and aims it again to the water. It’s physically and mentally exhausting to be the absorber, but his body feels relaxed at the end.

“What the was that?” Chanyeol gasps out, completely awake.

“Lightning,” the younger smiles and keeps the elder upright. He finally realizes how much he missed that deep voice.

Chanyeol merely groans when he tries to untangle his sore arms from Jongdae’s. His eyes shift towards the bloody hand, and he stands in shock when he remembers that he no longer has ten fingers. Jongdae doesn’t notice his dilemma; he’s distracted by the loud pop in front of him, signaling someone’s presence.

***

“, I don’t know anymore. I don’t know where they are,” Jongin shouts, and he’s beyond frustrated. He only wants to see his mate again and get his head back into reality so he can be useful to the pack instead of being constantly angry.

“You need to relax. You’re not the only one who has lost their scents. It’s like they were standing near the river and then decided--” Heechul explains calmly but suddenly stops. “--oh.”

“What? What do you mean Oh?” Jongin grabs his shoulders and shakes him.

“They must have jumped into the water. No wonder we can’t smell them anymore.”

“Why would they jump? It’s ing cold, and there’s a freaking waterfall a few feet away.”

“Yeah, it’s not like jumping into the water will save them from the enemies,” Heechul replies sarcastically, and Jongin glares at him.

Then they see it, a random lightning strike a few feet away.

“It’s Jongdae,” Heechul says.

“What? That could be anyone.”

“You’re right. I’ll go check it out, and you should stay here, just in case they didn’t jump into the water.” Heechul smirks at him, and Jongin growls in retaliation before grabbing his arm harshly.

“I hope you ing die in this war.”

“Likewise.”

They teleport by approximating where the lightning struck from so they end up high up in a tree. A second passes before Jongin teleports them again. He had caught Chanyeol’s scent, and he’s furious. He can smell the fear, and blood, from his mate, and it makes his chest twist up in knots.

***

Jongdae smiles in relief as he recognizes the two figures in front of him. He doesn’t get a chance to react when Jongin pushes him to the side, falling to the ground as a result. The teleporter wolf immediately pulls Chanyeol into his arms, his tears falling into his mate’s shoulder.

Heechul offers his hand to help Jongdae up, and the younger gladly takes it. He’s surprised when the elder pulls him into a hug, and Jongdae immediately pushes him away. His arms are raised in a defensive position, and his body leans away from Heechul’s. The elder is shocked and speechless by these actions.

“What’s wrong?” Heechul asks carefully.

Jongdae really wants to tell him. His trainer has always understood him, and he has never kept a secret from the elder, until now. The words won’t come out. He’s afraid of everyone’s judgement, and he doesn’t want anyone to look at him with pity. It’s hard enough to be respected when he’s not of age, and it’ll be harder to regain that respect when they realize how weak he is.

So he shakes his head and crosses his arms, forcing himself to act normal and push down his insecurities. Heechul doesn’t ask further and simply nods while keeping their distance apart.

He finally notices Chanyeol and Jongin’s conversation, and he smiles at their affections towards each other. The fire wolf is still accepting the loss of his fingers, but Jongin is whispering encouragements into his ear. The elder the open wounds of Chanyeol’s fingers to close them and wipes his mate’s tears.

“I’m not your pretty mate anymore..” Chanyeol sniffles and rubs his eyes while Jongin denies every negative word. Despite the new emotions they both feel, the separation pain is finally gone, and Jongin doesn’t think he will ever let go of Chanyeol ever again.

Jongdae feels relieved that they’re finally rescued and that Chanyeol looks so happy to be in Jongin’s arms. He wonder if he’ll ever feel the happiness of being with his mate, and his thoughts return to Yixing.

How would Yixing react if he knew the truth? Will our friendship be ruined again? What if he thinks I’m unworthy? I wouldn’t blame him.. he’s too good for me --

Jongdae’s thoughts are interrupted as Heechul calls him out, and the younger notices the worry in the elder’s face. He knows his trainer is restraining himself from asking questions, but it won’t last long. Soon, everyone will pressure him to answer, and he’s going to hate it.

“Are you okay?”

Jongdae nods, and he ignores the fact that his trainer doesn’t seem to believe him..

“Okay. Well, we can’t leave now,” Heechul says. “It’s too late in the night. So we should find some food and shelter instead.”

“Jongdae made fire yesterday, and he found a shelter that was secluded. He was pretty amazing. I’d have probably died by cold and hunger if I didn’t have him with me,” Chanyeol explains, and Heechul looks impressed by the story.

Jongin helps his mate stands up, keeping his right arm wrapped around Chanyeol’s waist.

“Thank you. I know you were suffering too, and I’m grateful that you were still able to help him,” Jongin says to Jongdae, while extending his hand. Jongdae hesitates before accepting it quickly, dropping the hand after a few seconds.

“It’s fine. He would have done the same thing for me.”

“Which reminds me, ” Jongin continues as he searches for something in his pocket. “Someone left you a gift.”

“Baekhyun?” Jongdae asks in confusion, and Jongin scoffs at the answer.

“He cares about you, but not that much,” the elder reminds him before handing him a small homemade Thylacine doll. It’s created by an alloy that is also a conductor for lightning. The alloy will prevent the doll from breaking into millions of pieces.

Most wolves won’t know what Thylacine is due to the fact that it’s already extinct, but Jongdae does. He’s been enamoured with this creature ever since his mother told him stories about it. It’s a Tasmanian tiger wolf that has been around for decades until it recently went extinct.

“Aw, that is so cute,” Chanyeol comments, and Heechul smiles at the gift.

Jongdae stares at it in surprise as he takes the doll from Jongin. It’s pretty in its simplicity, and the intricate details makes him love it even more. The color is merely brown, but the indentations of the stripes are accurate.  He can’t believe Yixing had the time to create this by hand. He can feel his heart racing a little faster as he thinks about the significance of this gift, and he allows himself to hope that Yixing is starting to feel something for him.

***

Eunhyuk and the rest of the warriors return by dinner time. He immediately goes to the council tent along with Donghae, Baekhyun, Yixing, and Kris. It’s been nerve wrecking for him ever since Minseok has announced that he will not lead this fight due to his pregnancy. He knows it’s common for pregnant leaders to step down immediately due to imbalance of emotions, but he hates leading by himself. He feels inexperienced, and he knows every decision will impact the whole pack.

The insecurities grow when he’s inside the tent, and Minseok is scowling at Changmin’s warrior. If Minseok is already annoyed at the warrior, he doesn’t know how he’ll remain calm during negotiations. He sometimes wonder how Minseok led the pack so well without feeling overwhelmed.

He notices that the other advisors are already in this tent, and it’s tense, with the wolves looking like they are holding back their opinions. He sees Baekhyun rushing to Minseok’s side and whispering something into his ear before they both walk away. Minseok nods to Eunhyuk in acknowledgement before he leaves, and Eunhyuk braces himself as he walks towards the warrior.

“I’m Eunhyuk, the leader.”

“Oh, so not Minseok?”

“He’s indisposed for a few months.”

The warrior raises his eyebrow before giving him a questioning look.

“And what makes you think Changmin will agree to this? He allowed your pack to ally with us because of Minseok, and his skills-- the type of skills that only Unik have.”

“Tough luck. He’s carrying, and he’ll not be joining us just because your leader needs him. His personal agenda is not our problem,” Eunhyuk sneers at him, and the warrior scoffs.

“Only a beta would think we’re giving you a choice. I’m not here to tell you that this war is optional. This war will impact everyone. Didn’t you feel the rebel’s strength when they attacked your pack? Remind Minseok that his pack should be ready in a month and that we expect him to join us.” The warrior teleports away as soon as the words are out of his mouth.

Eunhyuk runs out in frustration and heads towards Minseok and Baekhyun’s tent. He waits for permission before he enters.

“I don’t know what I’m doing,” he immediately states as he enters. Minseok merely looks up with his eyes without moving his body. The ice wolf has been cuddling with his mate for the past few minutes, and he’s loving the affection.

“What did he say?”

“He insists that you join and that it’s not an option for you to back out just because you’re pregnant.”

Baekhyun scowls at these words, wrapping his arms tighter around his mate’s abdomen. He doesn’t want to imagine losing both his mate and pup in the war. He knows his mate’s first instinct is to fight and lead their members, but they agreed: this time, their pup is their priority.

“I figured he would. It’ll be okay; I’ll get Hangeng to replace me.”

“But Tae--”

“We don’t have a choice.” Minseok sighs before he tries to sit up, pushing Baekhyun’s insistent arms away. “He’s also an ice wolf, and he’s more than capable to replace me.”

“Are you sure he’ll be able to leave Tae?”

Although a month is enough time for a Unik pup to accept other's’ scents, their birth parent might feel reluctant to leave them so early.

“His fear will be the same as mine. We’ll both say goodbye to the person we want to be near,” Minseok explains. “I’m sure I’ll be able to convince him.”

Minseok knows how hard it will be to say goodbye to Baekhyun because his body will crave his mate the most during his pregnancy. The feeling will be the same as saying goodbye to a pup. It’s excruciatingly painful for their heart, but they’ll learn to cope with the pain as days goes by.

The ice wolf gestures for Baekhyun to take his hand as they decide to talk to Hangeng together. This will be the perfect time for Baekhyun to see what a Unik pup is like.

***

Heechul is the first to wake up when the sun rises, and he goes out to find food while the others rest. By the time he drags a small deer to their shelter, Jongin is helping Chanyeol sit up, and Jongdae has a fire ready.

Teleporters don’t need much guidance as they only need to imagine the area they want to teleport to or they focus on a coordinate if it’s on a map. Luckily, Jongin has memorized the camp’s layout after a week, and it’s in his nature to always teleport to home, the hut he shares with Chanyeol. So when they finally leave, Jongin ends up teleporting them into his home and the space isn’t big enough for four wolves. Their reactions are curse words and painful groans as some falls onto the hard ground.

“Crap, I’m sorry. I forgot,” Jongin apologizes sheepishly and only Chanyeol is happy with this circumstances as he immediately goes for the soft bed. Jongin helps his mate settle down as he fusses over him to take off his dirty clothes.

“I’ll get Yixing, or maybe Jongdae should?” Heechul teases, and Jongdae glares in retaliation before leaving the tent in a huff.

Jongdae might call it coincidence, but Heechul likes to call it fate when they see the healer wolf a few feet away. The lightning wolf seems to be rooted to the ground when Yixing’s eyes widen, and the healer wolf rushes towards them. He thinks the elder might say hi or hug him, but he’s disappointed when he watches the healer wolf goes straight for Jongin and Chanyeol’s hut without a word.

The feeling of being ignored is painful, but he’s able to keep it down when he sees other wolves running to him in relief. He smiles at the familiar faces, but he’s still unable to withstand any affection so he steps away whenever someone tries to hug him. Eventually he panics when they crowd him, the lack of personal space bothering him more than it should. He pushes everyone away and walks in the opposite direction, ignoring the shouts of his name. He doesn’t notice Heechul telling the others to give him some space or the fact that Baekhyun is following him.

“Jongdae!” his brother calls out, but Jongdae keeps walking until he sees his comfort place.

It was supposed to be a temporary hideout when he was studying for his beta test, but now it’s a safe haven for when he wants to be alone.

“Just leave me alone,” he mutters as he wraps his arms around his legs when he finally sits down. His back is leaning against the cool wall.

“What happened? Did they touch--” Baekhyun tries again.

“Shut up! Nothing happened,” he growls and looks away from his brother.

“Okay. I’m sorry.” The elder takes a few steps back. Silence stretches between them, and Baekhyun sighs heavily.

“I feel like I’m never there when you need me, and when I try, I mess up.”

“Stop that. I’m just tired, and I didn’t mean to take it out on you.”

“I know, but it doesn’t justify that I forgot about you.”

Jongdae scoffs before rolling his eyes.

“You didn’t forget me. You couldn’t if you wanted to. I’m always with you.. Mom always said that.” Jongdae smiles a little at him before looking at the ground again.

Baekhyun smiles as he remembers the days when their mother used to say how bonds between brothers are unbreakable. It seems like it was yesterday when they both left their childhood home.

***

Jongdae had been leaning against the cave’s wall for quite a while before he notices a figure approaching. He squints and realizes it’s Yixing approaching him. The elder looks tired, but his heart races when the elder finally stands a few feet in front of him.

“Hi.”

“Hi.”

The awkward silence doesn’t bother Jongdae as much as it used to. Instead, he’s more worried about if someone asked Yixing to find him so the elder can treat his wounds. So he refuses to look into the elder’s eyes in case the elder begins to notice his distant behaviour.

He doesn’t notice Yixing’s movement until he sees the elder’s feet in his vision, and suddenly Yixing is only a foot away. He feels a calloused hand on his forehead, causing the number of butterflies to increase in his stomach when Yixing brushes his hair back, gently scratching against his scalp. He’s confused as to why it feels so gentle and soothing like a comforting hug when he scratched his knee as a pup.

“I’m glad you’re okay. I was worried,” Yixing whispers to him as his fingers grazes across his scalp once more before leaving his hand on the younger’s nape. Jongdae simply blushes as he can’t form a coherent sentence at the moment.

“I heard you were amazing. Sometimes I can’t believe you’re not of age yet,” he teases lightly, and Jongdae shakes his head a little too fast.

“I just pay attention really well. Plus, I had a good teacher.” Jongdae allows himself to smile a little, but his cheeks still burn from blushing too much. He’s shocked to see the elder smiling back at him. It seems like such a rare moment that he can easily count them in one hand. The moment doesn’t last long when Yixing pulls his hand away, and Jongdae misses the warmth already.

Yixing decides to sit beside him, their sides gently touching each other.

“Don’t doubt yourself. I don’t get impressed easily - Luhan can vouch for that.” The younger chuckles at that and grins in return.

“I can tell, but thank you.”

Jongdae looks away, still anxious from Yixing’s intense gazes. He thinks Yixing is just waiting for him to say more, possibly about his adventure or why he’s hiding in a secluded cave, but the elder just stare. So he fiddles with his thumbs, with the end of his shirt and sometimes the loose string in his pants. He’s preoccupied when Yixing decides to place a hand on top of his, the fingers lace easily between his. The puzzles fit together and his wolf is too damn happy.

“Jongdae--”

The younger looks at him expectantly from under his eyelashes, and Yixing looks distracted for a moment. Yixing is still deciding between the many questions in his head, ranging from Did anyone hurt you? to Did you know that I’m hopelessly yours?

“Did Jongin give you anything?” the elder asks instead.

“Oh, yeah. Thank you.” The younger smiles sweetly before his lips and drawing his gaze to the ground again.

“It’s yours, for as long as you want it.”

Jongdae turns his head abruptly to look at the elder. He understands the weight of the words. Though normal wolves give gifts as part of courting, their gifts are usually perishable. This doll may last for a lifetime, and it may as well symbolize the necklace that mates give to Unik.

Is he serious? Wow, this is just--

Jongdae pauses in his thoughts as he recalls recent events, and he’s anxious at the thought of keeping the truth from him. How would Yixing react if he knew how impure his body is?

He doesn’t deserve the humiliation. He should be with someone that won’t ruin his reputation.

The younger knows how much alphas value their status, and an alpha healer wolf would definitely feel he’s above the others. Even though Yixing is more humble than most, the hierarchy is still there for a reason. So Jongdae tries to formulate the words from the back of his mind and hopes the elder will understand one day. Except nothing comes out.

“I know I’m not Minseok or Chanyeol. We may never have Unik pups, and I’m too indifferent for your taste.” The elder decides to break the silence instead.

“I don’t want pups.. at least not for a while,” the younger interrupts, and Yixing is momentarily shocked by his words. The elder knows his intentions haven’t changed-- having pups was always something extra, not necessary.

“And I like you. I mean, you’ve always been different, but I prefer you than a false personality.” Jongdae continues, and his cheeks remain warm during his confession. Yixing laughs like the younger’s words are unbelievably cute, and the elder continues his own confession.

“You’re so...different. You’re young and a quick learner. Your empathy towards any wolf amazes me, and you lead with your heart. Despite all this, my wolf asks for you. I never realized falling would hurt as much as it pleases me.” He takes a deep breath before continuing.

“We will never be alike. While destruction is yours, and restoration is mine, I’ll gladly take life if it’ll save you. Jongdae--” he breathes out, and he can’t seem to find the courage to finish what he wants to say.

Jongdae understands this fact. They’re truly opposites of each other, in power and in personality. It doesn’t matter though, especially when his heart knows he can’t let go of the elder. He wants to, he needs to say ‘Yes, but  ‘mind is preventing him. The turmoil of emotions is scaring him; he doesn’t want Yixing to regret his decision one day and start to despise him.

He must have been thinking too long because Yixing squeezes his fingers, and Jongdae looks up to his worried gaze. The elder notices it, the panic look mixed with anxiety in Jongdae’s face. Yixing’s heart aches, and the pain throbs harder than the time he held a dying friend. He hates the fact that he’s causing misery to the younger.

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have pushed you,” the elder states before letting go of Jongdae’s hand and making a move to stand up. Jongdae grabs his arm in confusion, unsure of what just happened.

“I shouldn’t have said anything today. I’m sorry,” the elder apologizes. “You need time to process everything that happened with the abduction.”

Despite his own reluctance and excuses, Jongdae is sure about one thing: the elder can calm him. He doesn’t want to lose the one thing that makes him feel better. It may be illogical, but he should have known-- only his mate can make him feel safe. He hates the idea of going through these emotions alone.

“Don’t leave,” Jongdae whisper. “Stay.”

Jongdae takes the doll from his pocket innocently and lifts it up to Yixing’s line of sight. The younger’s eyes are wide with uncertainty, but his heart is not unsure of this decision. Anyone else would think he’s giving back the doll as a form of rejection, but he’s actually asking for permission. Yixing needs to mark his scent into the doll, and they both know the scent will only stay if both agree. There are many ways to mark his scent, but Yixing chooses the method that seems more personal.

Jongdae stares as Yixing slowly lifts the doll high enough to reach his lips. The brush of the elder’s lips against the doll mesmerizes him, and he thinks about the time they almost kissed. He yearns for their first kiss. Maybe one day, he hopes.

***

Perhaps Jongdae should have been worried, but he isn’t. He feels like he’s on a cloud, realizing how Heechul was right about having a mate. The electricity in his skin is euphoric as he catches Yixing’s eyes or when their skin touch briefly. It’s a little weird how much time he spends with the elder these days. He even notices the little things like how the healer wolf hangs around his training ground.

Despite Yixing’s lack of affection in public, the elder always manages to have some kind of skin contact with him daily. It’s usually brief, like a minute or two, but his wolf loves it and so does Yixing’s wolf.

His insecurities are not gone though. Every time they’re together, Jongdae wonders about the consequences when Yixing finds out about his impurity. He keeps imagining different scenarios from the elder shouting at him in anger to physically harming him. The violent thoughts seem so farfetched, but he figures Yixing must be one of those wolves who lashes out privately. So he’s just waiting for the moment when the guilt is too much, and he cracks under pressure.

He thinks he doesn’t have to wait long though. There’s an unofficial countdown for the day that they will depart for the war. He thinks he should tell Yixing before the elder leaves so they will be able to move on easier, but he realizes everything is pointless if Yixing dies in the war. He can’t decide what’s worse, his dead mate or his broken heart. He doesn’t even realize how he unconsciously labels the elder as his mate already.

It’s only two weeks later when Yixing asks him to come to the river. Jongdae doesn’t know what to expect, but he likes the idea of meeting the elder in private. They’re sitting side by side, fingers intertwined, and Jongdae resists the urge to place his head on Yixing’s comfortable-looking shoulder.

“Favorite food?” Yixing asks as his first question when they decide to find out more about each other.

“Seriously? You’re so bad at this.” Jongdae laughs at the elder’s awkwardness. Yixing scowls before making a move to leave.

“No, wait. I’m kidding,” the younger pout but smiles when Yixing sits back down. “It’s deer-- don’t tell Luhan.”

The elder simply chuckles before gesturing Jongdae to continue the game.

“Have you ever been angry? So angry that you were violent?” the younger tries to ask nonchalantly.

Yixing is shocked though, but he doesn’t question Jongdae’s motive. He gladly responds with the truth, No.

”Would you wait for me? Even if it means months?” Yixing asks. This time Jongdae is shocked by the question.

The war may last for a few days, but recovery may take months. He’s unsure about Yixing’s motives since they both started courting, and he doesn’t want Yixing to pick him.

“You shouldn’t wait for me,” Jongdae decides to say, but Yixing ignores his words.

“I know it’s selfish to ask you this. I usually think of others before myself. But let me be selfish if it means I don’t lose you. Don’t give up on us,” Yixing whispers.

The guilt is slowly returning, and Jongdae is close to blurting out the truth, that he’s not worthy of Yixing’s affections. He hates the multiple tugs on his heart, one that tells him to be honest and another that tells him to not let Yixing go. He’s too tired to keep doing this, especially since he’s already physically tired from daily training.

Yixing seems to notice the tired look on Jongdae’s  face so he grabs the younger’s hand and caresses the knuckles on them.

“I’m not good enough for you,” the younger admits.

“I know.”

Jongdae stops himself before he could utter the next argument. Yixing’s words should have made him angry and confused with the urge to take his hand away in disgust. Except, he feels nothing but warmth. He doesn’t get it.

“I was six when I met Luhan, and he didn’t become my brother until we were eight. A bunch of us were playing hide and seek in the forest when the rebels came to kidnap me. They wanted pliable minds, but most of all, healers. Luhan didn’t even like me then, but he saved me. We were about to get away until the man attacked back. That was the first time I healed a dying boy, and a year later, I held a dead wolf.” Yixing starts to recounts his childhood.

“The first death still haunts me, and it pressured me to be the best. But then I realized I’ll never be as good as my expectations and one day I’ll disappoint you. I’m not good for you either. Every day I think about the bad possibilities, but I also think I deserve at least one of your smiles.”

Jongdae remains silent for a moment before he decides on a reply.

“Would you regret me if you knew every one of my flaws?”

“Would you hate me if you knew exactly what my hands are capable of?”

The silence is thick and unnerving as Jongdae thinks of the answer to Yixing’s question.

Well, it’s the same as knowing his flaws, right? But what if it means knowing the amount of deaths or violence that Yixing has done? Will I still want him?

“Should I leave you?” Yixing decides to break the silence.

“No.”

It’s the first time Jongdae reaches out to him for affection. One would think Jongdae is the one giving affection, but he hasn’t since the assault. It’s a simple gesture when he lets go of Yixing’s hand and places the elder’s arm across his shoulders. Jongdae needs the warmth, and he likes the fact everything feels so comforting with the elder.

***

The month passes by quickly, and Changmin arrives with twenty warriors. Minseok is sure half of them are transporters, ready to teleport him out of danger if any rebels decide to ambush the camp.

“So the rumors are true,” Changmin states as both leaders greet each other in the open area. “Congratulations.”

Normal wolf pregnancies run eight months, but Unik pregnancies run in half the time. So Minseok’s abdomen is already protruding a little, and Baekhyun is beside him, ready to defend his mate.

“Thank you.” The ice wolf unconsciously rubs his bump before gesturing Jongin to take over.

It was decided that Jongin is better at controlling blood craved alphas and betas. Plus the elder has been itching to get some revenge on behalf of his mate. It’s bittersweet though, for Chanyeol, knowing Jongin may miss the birth of their pups.

“It doesn’t mean you’re allowed to neglect your responsibilities,” Changmin continues.

“I realize that, but I’m offering you my replacement.” Minseok gestures to Hangeng a few feet away.

Changmin takes a quick look at Hangeng before scoffing loudly and rolling his eyes.

“I didn’t pick you because of your power or Unik status. You’re a pureblood, and you have better capabilities than he’ll have.”

They knew what Changmin meant. Minseok’s parents were both Unik, and a pup born from two Unik is a pureblood. The ice wolf always knew he was a little different than most Unik, being stronger and more dominant.

Heechul would have gone after Changmin for insulting his mate, but Hangeng keeps him rooted to his spot. Their minds go back to Tae, completely innocent but a big target for packs like Changmin’s.

“There’s no one else, and you if you think I’d risk my pup’s safety,” the elder growls threateningly, and surprisingly, Changmin’s warriors stood their grounds instead of growling back.

“The pup that escaped.. where is he?” Changmin asks instead.

Baekhyun eyes widen before he shouts No! and Minseok grips his arm to stop him from challenging Changmin.

“He’s not a choice,” Yixing calls out and walks calmly towards Changmin. Both stare at each other before Changmin smirks at him.

“Really? Have you decided to join my pack?”

It’s blackmail, and Yixing knows it. Changmin has been wanting him for a while. Hell, every pack wants him since Yixing isn’t afraid of showing off his skills. He doesn’t like those packs built upon domination and control, but this is Jongdae they’re talking about. The young thunderwolf is too young to experience the pain and cruelty of the world. So yes, he’s willing to suffer if it means the younger will be safe.

It’s not him who makes the decisions though, and Yixing really wants to the smack the younger for not listening to their words: Stay inside the tent!.

“I’ll come.” Jongdae decides for them, and his word outweighs everyone else’s, despite his age.

Most of all, Yixing hates how Jongdae’s touch on his arm calms him, but the affection goes unnoticed by everyone near them.

***

After tearful goodbyes from reluctant pregnant mates and crying pups, Changmin’s warriors helped teleport them to the designated location. It’s a secluded area, covered by wild bushes and tall trees. Near it is a cave, large enough to hold hundreds of wolves. The location is just south from Saron, and close to Dunn, the area the rebels were questioning about.

Jongin and Eunhyuk follow Changmin as they head towards the group of pack leaders crowding next to the entrance of the cave. They have one week before they attack the rebels, and they need to decide on the best way to do that.

Jongdae feels guilty as he watches Yixing’s stiff body from afar. The elder nods in  acknowledgement as he passes by wolves who recognize him, but Jongdae can tell how pissed off he is. It’s scary that he knows Yixing this well, but it’s also comforting because there are no secrets between them.

“He hates me again,” the younger whines to Luhan, his newest best friend because the elder is the only one who could understand Yixing’s emotions.

“Doubt it. But you know what you could do?”

Jongdae looks at Luhan in anticipation.

“You should flirt with that wolf that’s been eyeing you since you’ve arrived. That’ll get Yixing to talk to you again.” Luhan subtly points to a wolf behind Jongdae.

The younger gapes before turning around and notices a wolf that looks away. He blushes a little before stuttering some excuse. Kyungsoo comes in time to smack Luhan on the head.

“Idiot, don’t listen to his advice.”

“Yeah, you should instead glare threateningly at Yixing,” Luhan states mockingly.

“Just corner him, like how he cornered you two days ago.” Kyungsoo tells him, instead of retorting to the elder’s comment.

Jongdae remembers that day clearly. It was the day Yixing almost kissed him. It would have happened if the other pack members didn’t interrupt their moment. He’s still upset that their first kiss hasn’t happened yet.

So the younger decides to put forth this plan after dinner time. It’s easy since Yixing always eats with Luhan and getting Luhan to be co-conspirator is easy since the elder likes to piss off people for fun.

“So I’m thinking that beta, with the nice plump ,” Luhan comments as they eat a piece of rabbit meat.

“Seriously? We’re going to fight in six days, and you want to stick your up someone’s .” Yixing glares at him in disgust, but he really shouldn’t be surprised. Luhan was always .

“Look, we may be dead in a week, and I for one would like to have some happiness. Unlike you, I don’t run away from skin contact.”

Yixing could hate Luhan, but the elder has a point. He doesn’t even know why he’s mad at Jongdae besides the obvious You could die! argument. He understood why the younger did it, but it doesn’t mean he has to like it.

So he doesn’t run away when Jongdae decides to corner him after dinner. He leads them to an area far enough from hearing range, but within running distance to the hideout in case rebels decide to show .

Jongdae decides to break the silence despite the fact they’re still walking to their destination.

“Don’t be mad, okay? I know you wanted me to stay.”

“I’m not mad. I’m just...frustrated.”

Jongdae remains silent until they finally stop near a large elm oak tree. Yixing takes his hand and takes him closer until they’re in front of each other. Neither are looking at each the, but the comfort is there.

“I miss talking to you,” Jongdae states softly.

The elder hums in agreement as he raises his other hand to Jongdae’s cheek, caressing it before combing his hair back. His finger grazes across the scalp, loving the way it feels on his fingertips. Most of all, he loves seeing Jongdae’s smile, knowing he’s the one causing it.

He doesn’t notice the subtle movements of Jongdae’s body moving closer until he feels his warm breath fanning his cheek. The warmth of the younger body’s pressing against his and the small hands on his back soothes him. But it’s the feeling of Jongdae’s face buried in the crook of his neck that makes him scared, happy, and nervous.

It’s their first hug, and he didn’t think it would cause so much turmoil in his heart.

“Don’t let go,” the younger mutters into his neck and the gentle brush of Yixing’s nose into his scent gland satisfies him.

***

Yixing hates these other wolves, most of all the one called Jongkook. He can’t control his emotions when he keeps watching the latter flirt with his mate. It’s unethical to seduce another wolf that is courting another, but Jongkook doesn’t seem to care. Yixing would assert his dominance if it wasn’t the fact they’d go to war in a few days, and he’d rather be on good terms with Jongdae.

However, the younger can sense it from the elder, the murderous glare and the stiff muscles. Jongdae remains quiet, knowing it’s an alpha thing to fight over a possible mate. It doesn’t mean he will like it. So every time he and Yixing gets away for the night, he allows the elder to lash out his frustrations to the trees and flinches when the violence gets rough. In the end, they hug, and Yixing would softly touch his hair, his sensitive skin, anything that elicits a soft sigh. It doesn’t matter what Jongkook tries, they already have each other’s wolf.

It’s painful on the last night. Yixing doesn’t want to let go of the younger yet, fearing it may be the last time. It’s a silent agreement when they decide to sleep next to each other, even if they’re under the watchful gazes of Baekhyun and Heechul. It doesn’t stop Yixing from touching him softly or Jongdae from rubbing his face into Yixing’s neck. Usually the elder would be too shy to be affectionate in public, but he needs to have Jongdae’s skin against his.

The younger doesn’t expect him to kiss him tonight though. Probably because both were too distracted to remember that it hasn’t happened yet. So he’s a little shock when Yixing presses one to his forehead, making the younger want a bit more. Jongdae scrambles to gain some advantage when he tilts the elder’s face downwards so their noses briefly touch.

The elder is the one that leans in first, and their lips brush for a mere second, causing a familiar lightning bolt to rush everywhere in the younger’s skin. Then it’s ,a longer press followed by tongue flickering for entrance. Jongdae can’t remember what happened after due to the haziness. He doesn’t mind though, loving the way Yixing pecks softly at his lips several times before they pull apart. They’re happy, blissful and sleepy, and neither want to leave this moment.

***

The wolves are up preparing at the break of dawn, so Yixing is too busy to notice Jongdae’s anxious form on the other side of the field. The younger thinks he’ll be okay though since Changmin decided to assign him to aerial attacks from the mountains rather than first line offense like many of the warriors. It’s Yixing that the younger worries about, knowing healers are always on the move, never shielded by anything. So he keeps staring at his mate, memorizing every inch of his face and body. Their last kiss was bittersweet ,and he hates it. He wants a future with Yixing, not more uncertainty.

“Jongdae” Baekhyun manages to catch up to him.

“Hey.” The younger isn’t really paying attention except to Yixing’s scowling face. So Baekhyun is forced to grab his jaw and make him look his way.

“I know you’re worried about Yixing, but the last time he got heavily injured? He was eighteen and was running away to join Minseok’s pack. We’re more worried about you.”

“Me?” Jongdae scoffs and glares at his brother accusingly.

“Don’t be a hero. Don’t act impulsively. It’s not just me saying this.” Baekhyun moves his eyes to Yixing’s direction, and Jongdae manages to get eye contact with the healer for a brief second before the elder moves elsewhere.

“He’s that worried?”

“Okay?” Baekhyun asks for confirmation. Jongdae nods, but the elder refuses to let go without verbal confirmation.

“I’ll stay where I’m placed.”

***

Somehow the rebels were expecting them, and chaos soon consumes the area. It’s brutal and bloody as wolves fight for dominance, and Jongdae is just glad he’s not in the front line. He doesn’t know what is going on though, since all he does is shoot lightning towards the enemy’s area. A few enemy teleporters would pop into the mountains and hunt down thunderwolves, but there are a few warriors from Changmin’s side that help protect them. So far, everyone is relatively okay besides minor cuts.

It’s not an easy task, sending lightnings to an area where your friends may be fighting too. Sometimes he swears he can hear a familiar howl from afar right after he sends a blast. So he’s anxious, but mostly he’s concerned that the thunderwolves beside him don’t seem to have the same turmoil. They just keep blasting as if it’s fun playing with death.

When the sun sets, a lightning storm begins to rumble towards them, and everyone is using the storm to their advantages. It’s one thing to use lightning as energy, but these wolves are using rain, lightning, and wind as weapons. It’s horrifying. The rate of wolves being knocked down is increasing exponentially, and Jongdae can see one enemy racing to the mountain.

He thinks it’s reflex and the instinct to protect that made him shoot a lightning bolt to the enemy. The latter falls rather quickly, and Jongdae sighs in relief, though he notices ten more heading towards them. He howls a warning, and he barely looks back at his team as he charges at the enemies. Despite killing them rather quickly with everyone’s help, Jongdae continues running down the mountain when he recognizes a familiar wolf, Heechul.

It’s the painful howl of Heechul being thrown across the ground that makes Jongdae lose his rationality. It made Jongdae rush towards the enemies without a single thought. He tackles the enemy to the ground, ignoring his surroundings as he slashes his throat with sharp claws. There are no regrets in his heart this time, and he goes after the next enemy that tries to take him down. He doesn’t notice Yixing healing Heechul or the fact that Jongin is trying to catch his attention.

He’s too angry at how cruel this world is and how every single enemy could easily kill his friends. It feeds his motivation, and he’s no longer cares about watching his back. He doesn’t know that Jongin is right behind him or the fact Heechul is already shooting down enemies that go near him. He just cares about causing anyone pain so they would suffer as he did, as Chanyeol did.

It’s pointless to prevent future injuries as Yixing would tell Luhan. and the former would always stick to this rule whenever he’s healing in the field. But it never made him feel better by following that motto, especially when he sees Jongdae being thrown to a tree, and there’s blood everywhere.

His anguished howl is heard by the wolves beside him, and Luhan is the first to run after the culprit. Yixing doesn’t feel anything but numbness in his chest when he runs to the younger, cradling him in his arms. He’s trying so hard to heal the younger. He knows he has to take that branch out of Jongdae’s leg so the wound will close, but he doesn’t know how much blood will come out.

The grass wilts around him, and the elder doesn’t realize he’s suffocating wolves around him. It’s a cruel skill, to be able to take lifeforms easily when his emotions are not under control. The whimpering and whining of wolves are just background sound, and the warnings from Heechul are ignored. It’s Luhan that’s able to get a message through to him. The levitating branches in his vision that spell Stop.

He’s too exhausted, he needs to re-energize, no, he needs to heal his mate. He can’t think, the pain in his heart is too much and he can’t concentrate on his surroundings. He’s trembling in guilt and anxiety, knowing he can’t do much for the younger until he recharges. So he stops exerting his power, and he can hear wolves regaining their energy. But he can only see Jongdae’s blood seeping into the ground.

You can’t die in my arms.

 

---

 

n/a: 

That will be all for the war since the story should be focusing on jd and learning his abilities. Plus I'm horrible with writing fight scenes.

The next part will focus on the aftermath of war and everyone's future.