Part 3

Ancestry

For this part, Jongdae birthday just passed so he's now 17. If you don't remember who's older/younger, go back to my author's note for part 2.

Happy birthday to ChenChen! Today has been Xingdae/ChenLay day for so many fans so this is dedicated to their first official selca

 

 

Jongdae stares cautiously at the hut in front of him. He understands why Minseok separated him from his brother, but the idea is still perplexing for him so the internal conflict doesn’t dissipate. He reaches out to open the flap, but instead, is surprised when an arm reaches out from inside the tent. His eyes widen, and he freezes as he’s unsure about if he should greet the figure or wait for him to come out. A wide-eyed teenager stands before him, his mouth also open in surprise.

“Hi?” Jongdae chuckles nervously. “I’m Jongdae. Minseok told me we’re roommates?” His voice wavers at the end of the sentence, unsure if he should state it as a fact or keep it as a question in case the latter dislikes him.

“Oh - hi. I’m Kyungsoo.” The teenager holds out his hand, a normal gesture when meeting someone new, but Jongdae looks at it with caution. Kyungsoo frowns at the lack of response and places his hand back to his side, not voicing his displeasure.

“Okay, so I have my stuff on the left, and you can put yours on the right. I won’t touch your stuff so don’t touch mine. And it would be beneficial if you could keep your side clean - or tidy, at least,” Kyungsoo explains, as if the concept of sharing a hut is more like a business deal.

Jongdae replies with an “okay,” but he’s already disliking the fact that he has to be clean in his own hut.

“Well, I have practice with Ryeowook now, bye.” Kyungsoo barely gives him a wave, and Jongdae already misses his brother’s warmth.

 

The memory seems so clear as he thinks about it, even though it happened a few months ago. As he stares at Kyungsoo’s stern face, he figures it must be the serious look that the younger often wears. That must be the reason why Jongdae always feels so cautious around him. Luckily, none of that really matters, after seeing how they got closer over the months.

He walks closer to Kyungsoo with a smile as he offers his hand to the younger so he can pick himself off the ground. Kyungsoo accepts it with gratitude, and they walk side by side as they head back to the camp.

“You’re in a good mood,” Kyungsoo states, as if Jongdae's mood is rarely happy these days.

“I am. Heechul says I’m ready for my beta test,” Jongdae tells him, his smile starting to look more crazed.

“Really? Isn’t the test supposed to be when you’re eighteen?”

“Technically, you can take the test whenever you have mastered the trait. But you’re supposed to complete both the omega and beta tests by the time you’re eighteen.”

“Oh, sounds complicated.” Kyungsoo wrinkles his nose, and Jongdae laughs as he grabs the younger’s hand.

“Will you cheer for me?” Jongdae pouts a little as he stares into Kyungsoo’s wide, innocent eyes. He knows the younger will comply easily after a few pouts.

“Of course. Who else will hold your hand when you fail?”

Kyungsoo laughs at the sorrow on Jongdae’s face. He knows how to easily rile up the elder.

“At least you’ll be there, unlike a certain traitor.” Jongdae huffs at the recent changes in his life, especially Baekhyun’s lack of presence.

“You know, you’ll never master that omega trait if you can’t control your mood,” Kyungsoo teases.

“It’s hard! How do they expect you not to whine when you’re a teenager?” Jongdae grumbles as he leans closer to Kyungsoo’s side and drapes himself onto him like a small pup around its mother.

Kyungsoo merely laughs as they arrive at their camp, and a few other wolves are already there to prepare dinner.

 

***

 

Rare days of no tasks scare Minseok sometimes. He is always wondering if he’s forgetting something or someone important. However, he likes this, the cooling sensation from the water that massages his aching legs. He loves it far more than he should, considering that there are many happy moments in his life. Nevertheless, this moment will rank high, along with his increasing affection towards Baekhyun.

He smiles at the younger, who seems to be enjoying it as much as he is. It’s only been two weeks since they first kissed, and there are still words, questions, and hesitation from both sides. As much as he wants to bond with him emotionally and physically, he knows everything takes time.

He realized from the first moment they met that they must follow the proper steps according to Unik traditions. The process started with a long period of love and hate, where Baekhyun naturally despised him, and Minseok could only pine privately. Nevertheless, he tried to seduce the younger, though failing horribly. He never realized that by stopping his advances that the younger started to care for him. He still can’t shake the memory of their first kiss from his mind. It’s not as romantic as all the scenarios he imagined, but it still warms his heart.

The next step is where they are now. The slow, but sweet, process as they start to understand each other’s personality and the possibility of having a future together permanently. It’s scary in a good way, if he has to admit his feelings.

They’ve been telling each other their flaws and dislikes for the past hour. There’s a nagging feeling in Minseok’s mind, that he should come clean about who he is. He thinks it’s better to say it now, especially since he wants Baekhyun to accept him as he is.

“So, while everyone knew that you’re a Unik, you decided to hide it from me,” Baekhyun accuses, fixing him with a hard glare.

“It’s not like I wanted to hide things from you.” Minseok looks down at the water, splashing it gently as he avoids looking into the younger’s eyes.

“It seems like you did, since you’re telling me eight months after we met,” Baekhyun scoffs.

“Baekhyun - “ Minseok looks up, guilt crawling across every inch of his skin. He notices the whites of Baekhyun’s eyes turning red from anger.

“I don’t want a reason or justification. I want to be more than 'anyone' to you.”

“You are.”

Baekhyun sighs loudly before he steps closer towards Minseok with a guarded expression. He reaches out and grabs his hand, softly caressing it.

“Let me in, okay? Let me know everything, even fifty years from now.”

“I will.”

 

It’s been two months since their first kiss, and he still wants his mate to see how much he’s trying. He searches for him; the longing increases every time they’re apart. He finally sees him and shyly gazes through his eyelashes. He smiles softly at him before looking away, making sure the other wolves are oblivious to it. It’s been a secret for now, and it’s a hard one to keep for both of them.

It’s rare for him to ask for permission or even to make a decision with someone's help. He’s been the pack’s leader for the last five years, and decision making has always been easy. But now everything changes as he realizes how much he craves for his mate’s consent in everything. This should scare him or even make him cautious of the pack's future, but it doesn’t. Instead, he embraces the idea of needing someone, and he's looking forward to relying on his mate, as much as the other will rely on him.

It’s nearing the end of dinner when Minseok seeks him out. He waits by the secluded trees, nodding at every wolf that recognizes him. It's not long before he sees his mate with Jongin.

“I can’t believe it. One more month and he’s finally mine.” Jongin has been extremely cheerful since realizing Chanyeol’s birthday is approaching. The day indicates they can finally become mates, and their patience will finally pay off.

“I know. I’m so happy for you,” Baekhyun tells him sincerely as he squeezes the older’s shoulder.

“You'll meet your mate soon. I’m sure of it.” Jongin grins at him, and Baekhyun laughs in that bright tone that always make Minseok’s heart clench in happiness.

“Thanks.”

They soon part ways as Jongin searches for Chanyeol, and Baekhyun sticks around the area, wondering where Minseok is hiding this time. His search doesn’t last long as he feels an extra weight on his back when Minseok decides to tackle him with a back hug.

“I miss you,” Minseok croaks out as his throat suddenly feels clogged by the sudden emotion, and his eyes glaze with sadness.

“Hi,” Baekhyun whispers before turning around and wrapping his arms tightly around the elder. They bask in each other’s scent as Minseok grips his shirt tightly, hating the fact they'll have to part soon for bedtime.

"I talked to Jongdae," Baekhyun whispers as he rubs Minseok's lower back. "I have something for you."

"Yeah?" Minseok looks up into Baekhyun's green eyes, searching for clues about this unexpected gift.

Baekhyun reaches into his pocket and clenches his fingers around an arrow-shaped stone. He his lips nervously and flickers his gaze away from Minseok's curious eyes. However, Minseok can tell when he's nervous, and he looks at the younger's hand that's hidden in his pocket. He waits patiently for Baekhyun to make his decision.

Baekhyun looks up after gathering his courage and holds Minseok's gaze as he reaches for Minseok's right hand. He slowly opens Minseok's palm and places the necklace with the arrow-shaped stone. There's a small lightning symbol scratched into the stone.

"We've had it since childhood, and it's the only thing we kept when we left home." Baekhyun closes Minseok's palm and gently caresses his knuckles. He avoids looking into Minseok's eyes as he recounts his childhood. "Mom found it, and it meant so much to him. The arrow signifies how I'm his guide when our father died. And the lightning bolt, well, Jongdae never got to meet our father, but he made my mom so happy because they look alike. I want you to have it." Baekhyun looks back up at him with emotions in his eyes.

"Baekhyun, it doesn't have to be this stone." Minseok frowns at the idea of his mate giving up something as precious as his childhood belonging. They have talked about the necklace that Unik wear around their neck. It doesn't have to be a stone hanging from the clasp or even a significant belonging. It's only a placeholder of their mate's scent.

Baekhyun takes his hand as a sign of understanding.

"I've never needed a guide. I am everyone's guide." He laughs nervously. "But I realize how I suddenly needed an arrow, and this burden of guiding someone is something I can now share with you.” He rubs his hand before continuing.

“I want you to hold on to my memories." He gestures towards the stone. "So I'll only have to hold on to you. Will you let me?"

Minseok smiles shyly as he nods, and he lets Baekhyun slip the necklace over his head. He pulls him closer as their lips graze momentarily before Baekhyun pulls back to cup his cheek. He caresses it gently as they hold each other's gazes, and everything they feel is silently communicated.

"I'm passing the Alpha position over to Jongin next week. And Heechul will be his advisor," Minseok explains. "And it'll be just us next week, away from distractions." He smirks at the implications of his words.

Baekhyun brings him closer and wraps his arms around his waist. They rest their heads against each other as Baekhyun gives him a silly smile. The warmth of Baekhyun's hands on his back isn't enough to satisfy his longing, but he'll wait patiently until next week.

 

***

 

It’s a Friday afternoon when Minseok gathers all of his advisors and trusted warriors. It’s a ‘need to know’ meeting so only ten wolves gather inside Minseok’s spacious hut.

“I see Heechul’s hiding from his mate,” Jongin teases as he sees the older wolf.

“You’re just lucky your mate isn’t a Unik. You’ll never know the suffering and pain I went through the past three months,” Heechul openly whines at anyone who will listen.

“Minseok will - if he ever finds a mate,” Donghae comments, and Luhan guffaws beside him. Yixing simply rolls his eyes at the lack of maturity of some wolves.

Minseok laughs nervously as he gestures for them to sit down.

“Alright, you bunch of puppies. The meeting has started. Shut the up!” Eunhyuk bellows at them when he sits down. It does the trick as everyone stays quiet and still in their spots.

“Thanks, Eunhyuk,” Minseok nods his head at the older before he continues.

“So the first thing I need to discuss is leader replacement,“ he starts to say but is already interrupted after a moment.

“You’re stepping down?” Jongin gapes his mouth unattractively.

“Please don’t choose Heechul” is Eunhyuk’s only comment.

“I bet it’s all Donghae’s fault.” Luhan tsks at the elder, who immediately complains at the unfair accusation.

“Next time, we should get Baekhyun to lead,” Jongin agrees, and Donghae glares at him.

“I hope you know that my loyalty doesn’t extend to those three.” Heechul points to Luhan, Donghae, and Ryeowook.

Ryeowook simply scoffs at Heechul, Luhan winks at him, and Donghae looks too offended at the comment.

Minseok simply sighs and shakes his head before he slowly freezes the ground, and the wolves can feel the immediate change in temperature. A collective Sorry is heard throughout the hut.

“As I was saying, we all know what happened to our last trip to Sauron. I won against Changmin’s alpha warrior, but I was weak in the end. I would have died if it wasn’t for Yixing and Baekhyun. So, we need to set a ranking of who’ll take over when I’m unable to lead.”

The wolves remain silent as they let their leader continue.

“Jongin will take over the warriors group since he’s already doing it. Heechul and Eunhyuk will cover recruitment, including for Unik. Ryeowook will handle planting and farming,“ Minseok continues, and he sees Luhan subtly pointing at himself. The elder knows Luhan just wants to be responsible over something.

“Great, we’ll be eating potatoes for the rest of our lives,” Heechul mutters, and Ryeowook gives him the finger.

“Yixing - “

Not mediator,” Yixing immediately tells him, and the others laugh because they know how the healer wolf is already responsible for handling disputes.

“Aw, come on, champ,” Heechul tries to persuade him, and Yixing simply snarls at him.

“Well, he’ll be the main healer either way. And Kris will be the mediator.” Minseok smiles at the younger, who looks surprised at being given a task.

“Um, what?” says Jongin, voicing out everyone else’s reaction.

“He’s going to be good at it. Trust me,” Minseok tells them, and they immediately relax because Minseok is rarely wrong with his gut feeling.

“If there’s a disagreement in the final decision, Luhan will handle it.” The others laugh in response, but Minseok’s face remains serious.

“You’re serious?” Yixing asks him, and he’s already unimpressed with this decision.

“Yes.”

Luhan stands up and celebrates his new position, while the others groan at the idea of him being in charge.

“It doesn’t mean you get to boss them. They have to ask for your opinion. Otherwise, you don’t get one,” Minseok reminds him, and Luhan immediately pouts at the implications. He loudly boos Minseok until Yixing smacks his head to shut up.

“Finally, the last thing I need to say,” Minseok says nervously, and almost everyone can see the sudden change in his posture and tone of voice.

Minseok slowly takes his necklace out, and some of them gape at the implication, except the slow-minded ones.

“I don’t get it,” Donghae whispers loudly, and Eunhyuk resists the temptation to smack his mate in front of everyone. The smacking will happen when they’re alone.

"He found his mate, idiot," Eunhyuk mutters to him in annoyance.

“Finally!” Heechul is the first to stand and reaches out to hug Minseok, who simply laughs at the sudden affection.

“Just tell me when, and I‘ll beat his for hurting you,” Eunhyuk tells him, and Minseok nods his head in understanding.

“So this is why you’ve been distracted lately,” Jongin teases as he grabs him for a hug after Heechul releases him.

“Like you’re not always groping Chanyeol during council meetings,” Heechul states as he rolls his eyes.

“Please, we all caught your hand down Hangeng’s pants the other day,” Luhan reminds him, and he wrinkles his nose in disgust. Heechul simply smirks at the younger.

Minseok smiles at the positive reaction, but he can’t help but notice Yixing’s sullen look. He never thought this news would upset the younger, but Yixing has always been more reserved in his emotions. So he’s prepared for the worst when Yixing walks up to him with a distant look in his eyes.

“You’ve already mated with him despite the fact he’s not of age,” Yixing accuses him in a low voice, but the wolves around them hear it.

“Wait, you know who it is?” Jongin stares in shock.

“Don’t say things like that without proof,” Heechul growls, as they all know that these kinds of accusations are severe.

“Of course I know. I’ve seen them together.” Yixing flares his nose and is already in his defensive position.

Minseok simply gapes at him, unsure of how Yixing can notice when they’ve been so careful on where to meet.

“So, who is it?” Luhan interrupts their intense gazes as he really wants to know.

Eunhyuk stops Yixing from commenting as they allow Minseok to announce his news properly.

“It’s Baekhyun,” Minseok says softly, and a few stare in shock.

“Didn’t he hate you?” Donghae asks, remembering the amount of rants Baekhyun would spit out regarding Minseok.

Jongin simply laughs as everything suddenly clicks together while Luhan makes a face at the name, expecting someone better.

“It’s normal for a wolf to hate their Unik mate in the beginning. Luckily that didn’t last long for Minseok,” Heechul reminds them, and Donghae coos at Minseok’s brevity.

“But doesn’t that mean it’s okay for them to mate? So Yixing was wrong?” Luhan informs them with a small fake gasp in the end of his question.

Yixing remains frozen in his spot, as if every fact is throwing him off. Luckily, Minseok understands who the younger thought of so he doesn’t hold a grudge over the false accusation.

“That’s right. He should apologize.” Heechul glares at Yixing with an annoyed expression.

“It’s fine. Let it go. It’s simply a misunderstanding,” Minseok warns Heechul as he gives Yixing a smile. Yixing nods in gratitude, and they immediately change the topic.

“Now it’s just Jongdae left under my wing.” Heechul pretends to wipe a tear off his eye as a few of them roll their eyes at the elder’s dramatics.

“He already found his mate though. Now we’re just waiting for either of them to make it work,” Luhan offhandedly comments.

“Why wouldn’t it work? Aren’t they mates either way?” Donghae asks in confusion.

“Unik can change mates,” Eunhyuk reminds him as he smacks Donghae. The younger sniffs at the amount of abuse he keeps getting.

“Whoa, seriously?” Jongin imagines the prospect of Chanyeol choosing someone else.

“Yep. It’s why they’re never really extinct. If their true mate never warms up to them, they can always find someone else,” Luhan tells them.

Unlike the others, Minseok can see the darkened expression on Yixing’s face, and he worries over Jongdae’s future if this conversation keeps going.

“It’s a good thing you never told Jongdae of that option,” Jongin tells Heechul, who nods at his words.

“More like it’s a good thing Minseok never gave up,” Donghae laughs as he awkwardly smacks Minseok’s back.

“Did you ever want to?” They look at him for a response.

“Of course not. Even if I can mate with someone else, I’m never letting him go,” Minseok says in a matter of fact tone. They immediately notice Minseok’s possessive scent hovering over them.

“Anyway, next week will be my mating week.” He has to wait for the wolves to stop cheering or making lewd gestures for a few minutes before continuing. “Jongin will take over, and Heechul will advise.”

“I’m offended at the fact that I’m always the advisor but never the leader,” Heechul tells him as he crosses his arms.

“Oh so you do want Hangeng to kill you, I see,” Minseok teases as they know how much Hangeng would kill the elder if he’s never around during the pregnancy. Heechul simply scoffs but can’t argue since baby planning takes most of his time.

“Wait, doesn’t mating week mean making puppies week?” Jongin smirks as the topic changes towards this direction. Minseok can simply laugh at their enthusiasm.

Their happiness over the news doesn’t end until they decide to find Baekhyun and throw him into the cold river, a common tradition for happy new mates.

 

***

 

Jongdae sits cross legged on the stone, surrounded by the vastness of water. It’s been their practice arena for three weeks when Heechul told him that Hangeng prefers swimming in the water than staying in the hut. He likes to watch Hangeng’s authority over Heechul, especially when the latter messes up a simple instruction. He would laugh silently, and sometimes Heechul won’t catch the gesture, otherwise he’s spending more time doing push ups by the trees.

Today is a little different since Heechul can’t join him, but he tells the younger to keep preparing for his beta test. So he’s been meditating for the past few minutes before Kyungsoo returns with more questions. He doesn’t notice the splash of water until he smells a particular scent, one that he had memorized ever since their first meeting.

He opens his eyes and freezes when he sees Yixing a few feet from him, washing his hair slowly. The droplets of water distracts him, especially the ones that seem to disappear below his navel. Luckily, the elder’s eyes are closed, otherwise he’ll be much more embarrassed when he’s caught. He his lips in habit and bites his lips, wondering if he can somehow modify their strained friendship. Before he can put any plan in effect, he freezes when he hears Yixing’s name being called by an unfamiliar stranger.

“Yixing!” The elder opens his eyes, briefly glancing at Jongdae before looking up at the stranger. The smile that appears in Yixing’s lips breaks his spirit a little more, and he suddenly feels his chest filling with sorrow.

“Taekwoon, you made it.”

“You make it sound like I’d miss this.” The new wolf rolls his eyes before stripping his clothes off. Suddenly the competition feels much more intense as Jongdae rakes his eyes over Taekwoon’s abs and defined arm muscles. He can’t even compete fairly as he sees Taekwoon’s impressive height compared to his measly height.

The sadness doesn’t let go of him as he drags himself across the water and finally to the shore. He barely looks back as he walks away from them, wet clothes clinging to his body. Unluckily for him, he doesn’t hear Yixing’s next comment.

“I didn’t think your mate would let you.”

Jongdae wipes his tears as he tries not to let his self worth crumble so easily, but it’s hard for him, pining for someone who will never smile as wide as that for him or even laugh with him.

He doesn’t notice Kyungsoo’s attempts at keeping him in place or Heechul’s words of concerns. He only notices Minseok and his brother sitting in a secluded area behind a few trees. They're in their own little world, and it reminds him of how he used to picture himself with his mate: the happy smiles, the constant touches, and the loving gazes that are meant only for him. Now, he can only see his brother and his mate replacing him and his future mate in this fantasy.

“Jongdae.” Minseok’s voice calls him out of his trance, and the worry in the elder’s face makes Jongdae feel ashamed for being a crybaby.

“What’s wrong?” Baekhyun immediately walks up to him and pulls him into a hug.

“Nothing.” Jongdae refuses to showcase any more of his weaknesses.

“Baekhyun, will you get us food?” Minseok subtly hints his mate, and Baekhyun reluctantly lets go. He knows Minseok will understand Jongdae’s struggles more than he will. He parts with a small wave before letting them talk it out.

“It’s Yixing, isn’t it?” Minseok whispers to him as Jongdae lets the elder hold him.

“Is it wrong to let go when I haven’t really tried?” Jongdae asks him, afraid that the answer will be another scolding.

“No, it’s okay to let go.”

Jongdae sighs in relief for the first time, and Minseok grips the younger’s hips as they pull away.

“Your beta test is soon, isn’t it?” Jongdae nods in reply.

“You should concentrate on it. He’ll always be around when you’re done. You don’t need to keep hurting yourself, Jongdae,” Minseok tells him.

“How did you manage this with Baekhyun? You were always so happy around him.”

“Because I’ve mastered my emotions. Most Unik don’t meet their mates until they are of age. You’re one of the lucky ones, or unlucky ones, if you think so. It’ll be harder for you because you can’t detach yourself whenever Yixing doesn’t show the affection that you want.”

“Then what do I do?”

“Nothing. Happiness shouldn't be determined by only one person but by everything that revolves around you. Baekhyun isn't my only source of happiness, just the final piece. When you understand this, you'll be able to appreciate your mate. You'll be okay without Yixing." Minseok squeezes his shoulders in comfort even though Jongdae nods grimly. The younger can’t personally agree with him yet, but he’s sure he’ll understand it one day.

"Can I sleep with you tonight?" Jongdae asks in a small voice.

"Only for tonight," the elder relents as they head back towards the camp.

 

***

 

The week passes by quickly, and Baekhyun struggles with the idea of leaving his vulnerable brother to his emotions. However he knows that this mating week is important to him and his mate, and this won’t be the last time he will choose his mate over his brother. He can only hope Jongdae will understand and that Yixing will soon develop feelings so he won’t have feel the guilt of abandoning him.

It’s a clear night when he can see the crescent moon highlighting the dark forest. Minseok stands before him, porcelain skin outlined by the moonlight. Baekhyun nervously his lips before approaching him, a gentle hand caressing the elder's cheek.

"Are you nervous?" Minseok asks, and his voice cracks a little. Baekhyun is too happy to hear it. He likes that Minseok is never secretive with him. They've always shown each other their insecurities, evaporating the collected façade they'd display in front of other wolves.

"Not for the reasons you're thinking of," Baekhyun replies.

"Let’s not rush this," Minseok whispers back, his hand grabbing hold onto his mate's.

The younger smiles shyly before pulling him close. Their lips brush before slowly pressing against each other. Baekhyun leads them away from the entrance of the cave, purposely sought out just for their mating. He manages to bring them near the makeshift bed.

Minseok never wanted dominance when it came to mating, but he knows that, as alphas, they need to dominate each other so the mating is official. So he lets Baekhyun dominate him first, not minding when the younger roughly pushes him against the cave's wall.

Minseok groans at the new sensation of Baekhyun's knee slowly grinding against his .

"Well, you're certainly big," Baekhyun teases when they pull apart from their heated kiss.

"I'll be gentle," Minseok promises before grabbing onto Baekhyun's shirt, pulling him in for another one.

"I want mine rough," Baekhyun mutters against Minseok's lips. "Punish me for making you wait."

Minseok laughs even though he should have known that Baekhyun is a closet masochist. After all, the younger does get hurt way too often for a light wolf.

Baekhyun grins at him before trailing soft kisses to his neck, approaching the scent gland. It's a sensitive membrane located close to the jaw. It would expel a distinct scent, usually to help mates understand when there is fear or sadness. Most wolves bite onto or near it because the membrane will expel a pungent scent if any wolf tries to mate with a mated wolf. Baekhyun needs Minseok's permission though, a bite to the gland means no more hesitations for their future.

Minseok whimpers when Baekhyun starts to nibble into the gland, every area he can see. The smell is intoxicatingly sweet for Baekhyun's nose, and he's so glad that they're away from curious ears and sharp noses. He doesn't want anyone else to enjoy their mating experience.

Minseok claws Baekhyun's arms as he squirms under the younger. The sensitivity is too much for him, and he knows that it'll only get more sensitive during their mating. He can't help but love every moment of this. Years of patience and fake smiles at happy couples will finally end; he'll finally know how it feels to be one of them.

"I need your words," Baekhyun whispers as he grazes his teeth across the gland again. The temptation to just bite into it is strong, and his inner wolf is screaming at him for not clawing his mate with marks.

"Yes, mark me," Minseok manages to say before his lucidity is gone from the immense desires.

Baekhyun doesn't hesitate with the bite, perfectly on top of the gland and deep enough to make Minseok scream. The elder claws at Baekhyun's shoulders, and a momentary flash of white light blinds him before he feels heat crawling across his skin, the first telltale that he will be in a rut.

Baekhyun the mark carefully, making sure it's starting to heal and that the blood doesn't gush out. Minseok whimpers at the sensation and pants against Baekhyun's ear.

"You have to do mine also," Baekhyun reminds him as he shifts Minseok in his arms. He needs to make sure Minseok bites him before the elder feels overwhelmed by his rut. Moreover, it's better if they're both in a rut together, so they're both equally motivated instead of one being obligated to please their mate.

Minseok feels hazy, and his head is almost clouded by thoughts of satisfying his desires. However, he can hear Baekhyun clearly so he goes straight to it, the gland excessively. He doesn't give a warning when he bites, as he holds Baekhyun steady in his hands.

Baekhyun grips his hips and whimpers against Minseok as the elder the wound closed in the same way.

 

***

 

The days are passing by slowly, in Jongdae’s opinion. He doesn’t expect to feel the struggles of studying, but they’re sticking to him right now, like sap on a tree. He hates this process, forcing himself to know every little fact of some irrelevant plant, but he has to because he doesn’t know how the test will be. Nevertheless, he looks forward to the future, where the pressure decreases, and he can be proud of himself.

Minseok is right, as always, about Yixing this time. Everything does feel better when he focuses on his test rather than his feelings. The determination of reaching his goals strengthen, and he knows he owes the elder a lot of gratitude for helping him clear his mind. He decides to seclude himself even more by finding an abandoned cave, forcing himself to have physical contact with only a few wolves. He finds it by the third day of searching and makes a nest out of it. He keeps necessary things in there, like clothes, a blanket, and his brother’s torn shirt for comfort but leaves behind everything else.

In the daytime, he would roam almost out of the territory’s lines, stopping at a different herb or plant to review its functions. As nighttime approaches, he hunts for his own food because he thinks it’s better for him to not get distracted by the comfort of home. Kyungsoo would check on him every few days, while Heechul would come over to make sure his studying is paying off. He sometimes misses them when the night gets really cold, and he hopes his brother is doing well during mating week.

By the third week, his hair is getting longer, and his face is becoming a little rugged. He hears different versions of Heechul’s All grown up comment, along with Kyungsoo’s You look uglier than before as the days pass by. He doesn’t take notice of the other wolves’ stares as he treks around or even Yixing’s scent whenever the younger accidentally sees him.

When the fifth week comes, he finds out his test will take place on Wednesday, when most wolves are too busy to spare time to watch him. It’s on purpose, according to newly mated Minseok. They want a minimal audience, so Minseok doesn’t announce it to anyone else.

It’s Minseok that informs him of the rules and the protocols that Jongdae must follow. He's surprised to see him, but it’s understandable since Hangeng recently gave birth to a pup. Nevertheless, he can't help but feel saddened that his trainer will miss his test, despite the fact that he was starting to develop a love-hate relationship with the latter.

“The test is more about seeing your ability. It’s not about passing or failing, but it’s how you solve the problem. So don’t worry about the time or if you’re doing it right. We just want to see how good you are.” Jongdae gapes at him in disbelief.

“Then what’s the point of doing this test?”

"To rank you amongst our pack. Even though we have the ability to be in all three classes, we might be better at one than the other. When I started taking my tests, I didn't think I'd end up as an alpha, but the tests proved I'd be more capable as alpha than the other two. Of course, you may choose a different path if you prefer to be what you desire."

"How does the test prove it if you are not measuring any results?"

"These tests have been given to hundreds of Unik, and we analyze the most common approach that a Unik would use to solve it. There are always a few handful Unik that solve it differently, uniquely. The alpha leader and his advisors will decide if the unique approach means the right rank for the Unik."

"Will you tell me how you solved your alpha test?" he asks cheekily.

"Of course, after you take yours," Minseok chuckles as he replies.

 

***

 

The test goes relatively fast as Minseok and his advisors watch him go through the three challenges. The first round is a test on his medical ability through his knowledge of plantations. He must be able to recognize the telltale signs of common infections and diseases, and ground the right herbs that will heal it. The second round deals with his knowledge of past wars, and being able to advise the warriors when they need strategies. The last round tests his ability to distribute foods, clothes and necessities for a month. It would have been easy if he didn’t have to deal with Luhan’s pranks and the occasional complaints from random wolves. He barely notices the freshly bite mark on Chanyeol’s neck until the elder took his shirt off. The guilt of missing important moments weighs heavy on his mind, and he swears to himself that he’ll try to be a better friend in the future.

By the time Jongdae finishes his test, he’s beyond tired, and his shirt is stuck to his back. He groans inwardly as he flops onto the cool grass, and he welcomes the cooling sensation from it. He doesn’t realize that a few wolves have surrounded him until he hears someone clearing his throat.

“He looks like a puppy, doesn’t he?” Jongin teases.

“Be nice,” Chanyeol scolds him as he bends down and holds the younger in his arms. He lets Jongdae’s back melt into his chest, and he combs the stray hair away from his face. He leans his chin forward onto Jongdae’s shoulder.

“You did amazing. Ignore these idiots.” Baekhyun appears at Chanyeol’s side, grabbing Jongdae’s hand and caressing it. Chanyeol huffs at the insult and is prepared to retort, but Minseok gestures towards Baekhyun and Jongin for them to come with him.

“Just the two of us now,” Chanyeol whispers to Jongdae while the younger falls deeper into sleep.

 

***

 

The weather has been unbearably cold since it is approaching the middle of December. The pack is keeping the perishable foods in a closed tent, which were frozen to the right temperature to last longer. The task is given to a third degree ice wolf, with Hangeng monitoring any changes. It has been a few weeks since the elder gave birth, and recently, he’s been training himself back to a healthy figure. Though Heechul never really cared about the perfect toned body, they both know that it’s essential for Unik to keep their mind and body in shape.

It has been two weeks since Jongdae has seen his trainer, and he wonders if his training is over. He is relieved when Heechul approaches him on a Monday morning, and he is carrying a bundle of blankets, possibly holding his and Hangeng’s new pup.

“Look, Tae. Your uncle Jongdae is becoming so handsome,” the elder coos at his son while smirking at the younger. Jongdae softly laughs before he reaches out to pull the irritating blanket away from the pup’s face. He stares at the freshness of soft fur, and the curiosity in those blue eyes. The pup is barely a month old, so he won’t be able to transform into human until he’s almost one year old.

“He’s so cute, so precious..” Jongdae caresses the soft fur of the pup, and he coos when he immediately leans against his touches.

“He’s perfect. I can’t believe he’s ours,” Heechul remarks as the younger sees tears at the corners of the elder’s eyes. Jongdae sympathetically smiles as he knows the struggles that Heechul faced in the past. He still can’t believe Heechul’s ability to breed was cruelly taken advantage of, the consequence of a painful experiment from Heechul’s previous pack. He’s just glad the elder can finally achieve some peace and happiness.

“You’re going to be so spoilt by all of us,” Jongdae says to Tae.

“Of course! But now, we must continue with reality.” Heechul gestures at the for the younger to sit and Jongdae groans, knowing he’s in for a long lecture.

“I didn’t even get a congratulations from you. I want my prize.”

“That’s true-- be sure to ask Yixing when you guys finally decide to mate,” he teases ,and Jongdae immediately scowls. Heechul takes pleasure on seeing the younger’s facial expression  and laughs.

“That’s not funny.”

“It’s a little funny for the rest of us, but let’s not dwell on your inability to recognize a joke. We’re going to retrace our lessons to the beginning of Unik.”

“You already mentioned on how they receive their omega trait first, then their beta trait at ten years old.” He rolls his eyes as he recites this line once again.

“But we haven’t discussed how to determine if a wolf is Unik, so we’ll use my precious Tae as our test subject.”

“Hangeng knows that you’re doing this, right? I do not need him to be angry at me.”

“Of course he does,” he reassures him, but Jongdae has a feeling that the elder is lying.

“So what do we need?”

“First, hold Tae for a minute.” He scoots closer to the younger, and Jongdae slowly takes the pup away from Heechul arms. The younger stares in shock when he sees Heechul standing abruptly and walking away from them.

“Um, Heechul?!” Jongdae calls out, but the elder ignores him.

He feels Tae squirming in his arms, and he’s momentarily glad that pups aren’t able to wail like humans. However, he did forget that they can howl loudly and whimper nonstop.

“It’s okay Tae. Your dad is coming back. I’m sure he has a perfectly good explanation for leaving you,” Jongdae tries to convince him, but he can feel the anxiety crawling in his skin. He was never that good with pups, let alone a newborn pup. He’s just glad Tae isn’t in his biting phase yet.

Jongdae doesn’t see the signs until it’s too late. At one point, he’s holding a squirming, howling pup in his arms, then he hears nothing. He looks down to see if the pup is alright, and he freezes when he sees the glowing red surrounding the blue irises of Tae’s eyes. There was no warning when he feels his body forcefully being thrown across the field, but the pup is safe on the ground, at the same place where Jongdae stood just a moment ago.

“Such a good boy,” Heechul coos as he picks up his son from the ground and cradles him close to his chest. The pup leans closer to his father’s warmth and closes his eyes.

“That’s not funny,” Jongdae groans.

“How else were you going to learn if there’s no pain?” Heechul calmly states as he rocks the pup in his arms.

“So what? Unik pups are able to miraculously throw wolves across a field?”

“It’s not magic; it’s a defense mechanism that every Unik possesses. Remember when you fought Suho and you threw him across the field when you suddenly remembered your mother’s death? This defense mechanism is embedded in us. Think of it as a last resort when you’re absolutely vulnerable, and you need to get away from your enemies.”

Jongdae stares at him, unsure if he actually understand this mechanism.

“For Tae, he only recognizes my and Hangeng’s scents. He will automatically think everyone else is his enemies. So his defense mechanism is automatically triggered since he can’t consciously recognize danger yet.”

“That seems so simple. Then that means everyone can easily detect Unik.”

“Which is why we always hide our pups from curious eyes. As Unik get older, our defense mechanism will only be triggered during rare events.” Jongdae nods at his words, and he suddenly remembers the question he’s been waiting to ask ever since he found out Hangeng was pregnant.

“And why do we only conceive one? Why not a litter?”

“Even though we have the ability to breed, we’re not omegas. We don’t have the physical ability to carry more than one pup. However, there are rare cases when Unik have given birth to two or even three pups. It really depends on if your body can handle it. Who knows? You may be one of them.” The elder smirks at him, and Jongdae rolls his eyes.

“You dream too much, old wolf.”

 

***

 

Jongdae returns to his shifts in the Intensive Care hut two weeks after his beta test. He doesn’t mind the familiar tasks and expectations as he helps the sick wolves. There is a sudden increase of wolves showing up with symptoms similar to a cold, so Jongdae has been making the same cold remedy for the past few days. However, when he thinks everyone is healthy, he finds himself surrounded by more sick wolves. This time, it’s a mix between the flu and a cold. He resists the temptation to vent his frustrations, but each day seems to test his patience.

He doesn’t see Yixing these days, though some days it’s merely a brief glimpse as the elder checks on a patient. He has no time to socialize when he’s helping so many wolves, and he likes that he can focus on his tasks rather than dwelling on Is Yixing looking at me?

It’s nearing the end of December when Jongdae realizes this will be the first night he’s stuck alone with Yixing. The elder needs to watch a gravely ill wolf that seems to showcase signs of early pneumonia. Jongdae feels a weird sensation in his chest when he realizes the anxiety of being alone with him is not there. He only feels calm, and he wonders if this is the ongoing effect of Minseok’s advice, in which he’s focusing on life instead of Yixing’s affections.

The night passes by relatively the same as any other night, but tonight is a bit different. Jongdae doesn’t notice Yixing’s presence behind him when he places his palm on a wolf’s forehead to check his temperature.

“Is it gone?” the elder whispers, and Jongdae almost jumps up in surprise.

“Oh, yes,” he replies as he takes his palm off the sick wolf and stares curiously at the elder.

“Good.”

They stare at each other awkwardly before Jongdae makes a motion to pass by around the elder. He avoids looking into Yixing’s eyes, knowing he’ll just feel that euphoric electrical feelings in his his veins again.

“Wait.” Yixing grabs his arm, and Jongdae wills himself to not faint or blush under the elder’s attention. “I forgot to tell you, even though it’s been weeks, but congratulations.”

Jongdae freezes for a moment, unsure of the context until he realizes that it’s about the completion of his beta test.

“Oh, thank you,” he replies softly, and a smile slowly forms on his lips, even though he still refuses to stare into the elder’s eyes.

“You did amazing. I mean, that’s what Luhan claimed, but I’m sure he wasn’t exaggerating.”

“I don’t really feel that way.” Jongdae lightly blushes and looks at the ground.

“Because you think you can achieve better?”

“No. Because there are so many ways to achieve the same result, but you always want the simplest process. I’m not there yet, and that’s where I want to be.”

“I think you may be as ambitious as Minseok. Perfection is something he always wanted to achieve as well.”

“Did he achieve it?”

“Yes, but he stopped.” Yixing stops to chuckle at his thoughts before continuing. “Baekhyun showed him a better path. Your brother is really good to him, and I’m honestly surprised. They’re both stubborn alphas.” Jongdae laughs at his words.

“I think it’s true when they say your mate is the missing piece to your puzzle.”

“Yeah? And who’s completing your soul?” Yixing’s tone changes, and Jongdae wonders if this topic has gone too deep. He doesn’t know where his courage comes from, but he hears himself say the next few words as he finally lifts his head up.

“I don’t know yet, but I hope he’ll love me the same way,” he softly tells him as their eyes meet, and the electricity in his veins return. It’s a slow buildup of feelings, and he wonders if the intensity will ever reach the maximum because it doesn’t seem like it will end anytime soon.

 

***

 

Jongdae thinks their friendship has gotten better as he finds himself greeting Yixing more often than in the past. It starts off slow with the occasional Hello, and sometimes it’ll be a short conversation about their day. He starts to notice that none of their conversations are as personal as their first one, but maybe it’s a good thing. He thinks this is a good start, and he’ll be able to learn Yixing’s personality slowly.

It’s a rainy night when Heechul walks him to a thunder session even though the elder will not be participating due to parenting duties. They head out immediately after dinner, and Jongdae parts ways with his trainer when he sees the eccentric twins. He waves at them and notices a third person besides Taemin.

“Hey!” Jonghyun shouts from about twenty feet away.

“Hey,” Jongdae greets back with a smile as he approaches them.

“Jongdae, meet my y mate, Minho,” Taemin informs him, and Jongdae notices his arm hanging loose over Minho’s shoulders. He’s a bit taken back when he sees Minho glaring at him intensely. He doesn’t move a muscle when Minho decides to walk up to him and circles around him.

“Don’t worry. He does this analyzing thing with every unmated wolf that Taemin meets,” Jonghyun explains, although he sounds slightly irritated.

“Why don’t you have a mate?” Minho immediately asks.

“I’m not of age.” Minho scoffs at his response.

“Doesn’t matter. You should already know who it is, and you should be smelling like him.” Minho accuses him for lacking the ability to secure his mate. Jongdae knows that he should not admit that he’s a Unik or the fact that Unik have a hard time making their mates fall in love with them.

“I just don’t want to rush it. I’ll approach my possible mate when I’m ready for the commitment.” Jongdae tries to shrug it off.

“Come on, love. He’s harmless. The thunders are starting soon, and you should rest,” Taemin interrupts while rubbing his mate’s back. It takes a few hushed whispers before Minho kisses him goodbye but not before sending Jongdae one last glare.

Luckily, the thunders arrive in about a minute ,and Minho is forced to run to safety. The trio manages to find the first lightning bolt and scrambles into formation. Jonghyun will be the first to absorb it before he passes it to Taemin, then to Jongdae.

It’s another short session due to Taemin’s hyped ual energy, and Minho is already nearby to take him back to their hut. Jonghyun decides to walk Jongdae home for the sake of safety since Heechul isn’t there to accompany him.

“It’s exhilarating, isn’t it?” Jonghyun smiles at him.

“Yeah. I’m still not used to it. Did you ever get used to that breathless phase?”

“Nah. I mean the sensation is not new, but the intensity is still amazing.”

They remain silent for a moment despite Jonghyun’s playfulness of nudging Jongdae’s side and Jongdae trying to get his revenge. The younger doesn’t notice the approaching figure until he hears someone his name.

“Jongdae!” He turns his head to the side and sees Yixing approaching him quickly.

“Yixing,” he mumbles the name, surprised to see the elder on this side of the forest.

“I need your help, and it’ll drain my energy. I don’t want to interrupt Baekhyun or Donghae from their sleep,” the elder explains, and Jongdae nods in understanding. It’s common for Yixing to ask betas to help him treat patients manually so Yixing can reserve his powers for desperate times.

“Well then, see you.” Jonghyun waves at him as he smiles, and Jongdae returns the gesture. He watches Jonghyun’s figure disappear before he feels a tug on his arm.

“Come on,” Yixing tells him impatiently, and Jongdae follows him through the forest.

It’s a silent walk as they head back to the camp, and Jongdae is unsure if the elder is this quiet or if he messed up their friendship again. He’s so overwhelmed by his thoughts that he doesn’t notice that Yixing has managed to back him up against a large tree. The rough surface is cool against his back, but the warmth on his front is too close.

Their eyes meet, and Jongdae refuses to drop their eye contact despite the burning intensity crawling inside of him.

“Yixing?”

“Who is he to you?”

“No one.”

“Really? Yet your body is showcasing a different reaction.” Yixing gestures with his eyes, tone laced with jealousy. Jongdae doesn’t get it, until he realizes that his remains hard. It’s not his fault-- it was the thunders.

“It was a thunders session.”

Yixing analyzes his response as he stares deeply into Jongdae’s eyes. He finally breaks their eye contact when he takes a step forward, practically crowding Jongdae’s personal space. His eyes drop down to Jongdae’s lips. Jongdae wonders briefly if it’s soft as he always wondered.

Their noses brush momentarily, and Jongdae closes his eyes in response to this sensation. He has always dreamt about this, and if this is their first kiss, he does not want his eyes to be open.

He’s disappointed, though, when Yixing pulls back. He wants to throw a tantrum. That is, until Yixing grabs his hand, and all he can hear is the loud beating of his heart. He thinks this is alright for now, and maybe he’ll get that kiss one day.

 

***

 

It’s a relaxing day for Jongdae as he joins Chanyeol on the grass. They’ve finished dinner and Jongdae is feeling a little cold so he cuddles next to the elder. The sensation drowns him in tranquility, and he’s at the edge of falling into dreamland. It would have worked if his nose didn’t pick up a weird scent. He slowly turns his head to look at Chanyeol’s face as a question forms in his mind, but it disappears as soon as he hears a piercing scream from the other direction. They both suddenly sit up, aware of every horrible possibility that could be occurring at the moment. Their instinct to fight doesn’t surface until Minseok howls out a warning, and every sense awakens inside them. Chanyeol is soon on his feet and rushing towards the defense line with Jongdae right behind him.

Jongdae stares in horror at the familiar scene, the disarrayed powers flying through the sky and wolves fighting for their pack’s survival. His feet stay rooted to the ground, and fear slowly rises within him. He doesn’t notice anyone shouting his name until he sees Heechul in front of him.

“Jongdae, snap out of it!” the older yells at him before he throws a thunderbolt into an enemy’s chest.

He feels the small tinkering sensation in his chest that tells him to stay rooted and to stay out of sight. However, he hears the familiar howl of his brother, and his feet move towards that direction. He doesn’t notice how many wolves he shot down, just the brief sound of them falling down to the ground as he passes by. Then he finds who he’s looking for, blood seeping into the ground, and Yixing is fighting off a nearby enemy. Every sense awakens as an invisible force tugs him to Baekhyun’s side.

He doesn’t think of the consequence of running without assessing the danger as he barely misses the incoming fireball that an enemy has thrown. Luckily, Suho was there to extinguish it immediately, and Hangeng quickly goes after the fire wolf.

“Baekhyun,” Jongdae gasps out as he hold his brother’s hand. His brother weakly smiles as he covers the bloody gashes on his abdomen. Jongdae doesn’t feel tears forming in his eyes, just the same blinding rage he felt when his mother died. He snarls inwardly and tries not to let the anger show on his face, but Baekhyun knows him too well. Even then, Baekhyun can’t stop him when Jongdae decides to run after incoming enemies. His arm hangs weakly in the air as he tries to summon light orbs so Jongdae isn’t running through the darkness without guidance. However, he is too weak, and his chest throbs in pain even more.

He doesn’t notice Minseok approaching him until he feels the elder pick him up slowly from the ground. Baekhyun stops him before the elder can fully lift him up.

“Get Jongdae,” Baekhyun tells him, and Minseok immediately understands him. The elder shifts into his wolf form and follows the tracks Jongdae left behind.

 

A/N: I noticed that some of you got confused about Hangeng. He's a Unik, and Heechul & Hangeng are a Unik couple. Even though Heechul can also breed (it doesn't matter if the Unik is more of an alpha or beta, they can still breed), he's emotionally scarred from the idea so Hangeng is willing to start a family for them.