Recruitment

Seoul Survivors

Jungkook was petrified, frozen in place like a sculpture made of ice as he looked at the maliciously threatening group of people that all had their eyes trained on him as if he were a fly and had been caught in the spider's web. He didn't know what to do except kick himself for not realising that the only warehouse in Hongdae big enough to house this number of delinquents belonged to the Hongdae War Hounds.

The only thing Jungkook could think of was trying to talk his way out of this perplexing predicament that he got himself into although that may not do him much good considering he's terrible with words in situations in which he's under pressure. In this case, he was under a load of pressure.

"Hi, uhm...I just wanted to apologise for breaking in and stuff. It's just I, uhh...you know..." Tripping and stuttering over his only way out, he thought he was gone for sure.

Wiping the sweat off his brow with his sleeve he observed a few features of the room. He saw two guys, the delivery men from before standing near a door that seemed to open out to a side room over by the far wall. It has the names "Chen" and "Lay" halfheartedly spray painted over it in silver. The tall blonde one held a sub machine gun in his right hand and what looked like a lit blunt in the other. The smaller dark haired one was loading a shotgun as if he was getting ready to go into battle, he napped the barrel shut and pumped it. Jungkook fixated on the empty shell as it fell to the ground, imagining that that could be him in a few short minutes. His heart was pounding like a nail and battered on his rib cage like a wild animal trying to flee from danger.

Jungkook heard a familiar deep laugh that could only belong to V. He looked up and saw him make his way to the spiral staircase as he ran his hands through his soft black hair. He was wearing a crisp white button up shirt with two of the buttons left open, his black high tops caught Jungkook's eyes as he descended the steel stairs all while slipping on a dark leather baseball cap on back to front, he drew closer to the theif. To Jungkook, he looked so professional but so laid back at the same time; something Jungkook thought no one could pull off.

"Okay, guys. Cut the act. I think he's learned his lesson." V said in a raised but calm voice so that it echoed through the entire warehouse. He detected a hint of smugness in his tone, as if he'd known Jungkook would end up here right on schedule.

"What? What act are you talking about?" Jungkook demanded looking to V confused and shielding his face from the shining lights that were still blinding him. He watched a small nimble figure running past V and soon heard a switch flick and the large lights died out. Jungkook was able to see V properly now, he was meters away from him.

"The act that I got them to put on to make you realise the biggest mistake you've made tonight." V said matter of factly moving close enough to Jungkook so he was able to stretch out his arm and offer it to the boy.

Jungkook hesitated at first, puzzled at the gesture before grabbing V's arm like a rope and pulling himself up onto his feet.

"What's this mistake I've made then?" Questioned Jungkook looking around at how everybody else had obediently lowered their weapons which had given the devious crowd a softer demure.

"Well, Jungkook," V said as he lazily slung an arm around the boy's shoulder. "that's what I want you to figure out yourself." He continued as he guided Jungkook further into the bowels of the warehouse.

He took him to a table surrounded on all sides by a mix match of chairs. One patchwork, one steel, another was just a stool. V seated himself at the very top of the table into a gilded chair and gestured for the thief to sit down in another. Jungkook sat without argument into a wooden chair adorned with scratch marks and mysterious red stains.

"So, can you guess the big mistake you made?" V questioned, resting his clasped hands on the table in front of him. The boy caught sight of three rings that decorated his fingers: one rather large one on his right thumb, another on his right index finger, and one more on his left pinky. All were rather worn and tarnished as if he'd never taken them off.

A boy that about ages V wearing a full on suit and hair slightly lighter than V's comes rolling through carrying stacks of paper and said in a sing-song voice "Oh! I know!"

"Yes, Jimin, but I wasn't asking you," V interjected, throwing a side eye at the secretary looking guy known as Jimin, he turned back towards the pick pocket "Now really, think, what could it have been?"

Jungkook racked his brain for answers. He couldn't find anything, his mind went blank. Maybe it was the shock or just because Jungkook had never been that good t brain teasers.

"I got in through the window?" was all he could think of. However he didn't think that that would be a mistake seeing as no one saw him.

"You got in through the window of who's building?" questioned again, staring at Jungkook with a more intense look now.

"Yours." Jungkook replied, hoping he was right.

"No, at the time you were breaking in. Who's building did you think it was?"

"I...I don't know" Jungkook confessed

V smiled widely, leaning back and resting one elbow on the backrest of his ornate chair. "Exactly," He said pointing a finger at Jungkook then quickly dropping it back in his lap.

"You had no idea who's domain you were going into. No idea what or who could have been in the building. For all you know this could have been a major drug factory where no one would show you mercy had they seen you" V said rather sternly before walking towards the middle of the room and beckoning for Jungkook to follow him.

Jungkook stood up with a dry throat and swallowed what he felt like was a large pill at the shock of finding out that he made a fatal error that could've gotten himself killed.

"So, what do you think?" V asked as he gestured to the rest of the warehouse.

Jungkook actually had to have a look around to answer his question truthfully because all the commotion that went on distracted him from taking in his surroundings.

He looked over to his right and saw that there was another balcony about a floor lower than the one V was positioned on earlier. However,it stretched out further and instead of having railings it had plexi glass covering the front. There were a few tables with what looked like chemistry sets sat on top of them which had a couple people working away on them. Jungkook knew it wasn't drugs they were making, the smell would be stronger.

Next was the tech station that was located right under the lab on the ground floor. Large computer towers were situated around a series of monitors that were being operated by a rather pretty woman behind them. She had light brown hair that ombred into blond and had beautiful skin that was of a darker complexion, a luscious caramel colour that added to her beauty.

Then to the right of that was a gym area. It held weights, a few mats and worn out punching bags dangling from the ceiling. Jungkook assumed they were for close combat practice. That's where he saw the blue haired girl again, but this time she was accompanied by two other guys. They stood at around the same height, one with dark hair and the other with red. She threw punches at both of them and shouted at them to go faster.

Jungkook then spun around to see the rest of their set up and saw a large table that held a map of the city with various areas highlighted red and green. The two stoners from before were huddled around it with a guy that seemed a few years older than V. They sat around the table in deep conversation marking places on the map.

"It's a nice set up," Jungkook began as he faced V again "it could use some throw pillows."

************

After the initial shock and awe that overpowered Jungkook's senses he eventually came back down to reality. He was following V into the lab area unsure of what he could and couldn't touch. V turned to Jungkook and passed him a brand new phone.

"From the delivery you tried to steal," he explained as he slipped the sleek technology into Jungkook's hand "I say you've more than deserved it with the night you've had, it'll also allow me to keep in contact. That is, of course, if you're joining our little motley crew."

Jungkook was taken aback, join the War Hounds? There was so much of this to take in and so little time to do so.

"Why me?" Jungkook mused, he still hadn't been told why they didn't just throw him out onto the streets for breaking into their head quarters.

"I'm gonna be honest with you, Jungkook. All of us here are highly skilled in things like sharpshooting, close quarters combat, and even negotiations. But we've nevr had one person who was able to steal and pickpocket without getting caught," V walked over to a set of vials on one of the lab tables and started to inspect them "You've proven to us that you have the determination and the initiative you need to be one of us. So by all means, you qualify and that's why we want you."

Jungkook wasn't sure if he should feel like he was being complimented or treated as a commodity, something V wanted for the sake of wanting him.

"And what happens if I don't want to join?" Jungkook inquired carefully

"Well I guess you could just go back to living with your alcoholic father and steal CDs all day if it suits you."

Jungkook's eyes widened "Wait how do you--"

"I have eyes and ears all over Hongdae, who I've had monitoring you for months now, just to see what your actually capable of and if your War Hounds worthy. And that you are my friend." V interrupted as he began twirling one of the crystal blue vials in between his slender fingers."Think about it Jungkook. I mean really think about it. Look around at the people here. The way they interact with each other, the way they talk. They treat each other like brothers and sisters, we'd take a bullet for one another. What I'm trying to say is, if you join me and my band of merry men, we can give you something you've always wanted. A family."

Jungkook seriously considered this, he'd never had anyone care for him since his mother died eight years ago. His father had turned to alcohol to numb the pain but it had only made things worse. Honestly he had nothing to lose if he joined this band of misfits.

He hesitated a moment before making a life changing desicion "Alright...Alright, I'll join."

"Excellent! Now take this," V enthusiastically handed him the vial he was holding.

"What is it?"

"Oh, it's nothing to worry about' it's a tonic, it calms the nerves. No negative side effects"

Jungkook thought, why not? He needed something to soothe his worries and so chugged away until there was nothing left. He handed the empty vial back to V and began to feel light headed.

"What the--" He lost his footing and nearly slipped to the floor if V didn't catch him in time. He lay him slowly on the floor as Jungkook's eyes fluttered and he drifted into a deep sleep.