Please Stay

Against The Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Woohyun had lived with a strange ability. 


He could see an invisible tattoo that was much like a barcode with some numbers on it. He didn't understand at first, he was only 10 when the sudden sight came. Woohyun was in his neighborhood's playground and Jonghyun was bullying him, kicking him on the stomach because he lost something that was Jonghyun's - and it was only a small, cheap ball. Even so, Woohyun knew that boy had never liked him and he would be furious when he found out, so Woohyun had pretty much prepared for the outcome. It was more than he expected though, because Jonghyun beated him up with his so-called friends who didn't like Woohyun very much, either. The barcode was there on Jonghyun's neck. Woohyun caught the numbers and it was written 21072002. Being the dumb kid he was, he didn't really care and only asked himself why did jonghyun get a strange tattoo? 


A week after the incident, Jonghyun died in a car crash. And it was July 21st, 2002.

 

 


The first time he realized, he didn't want to believe it. He kept pushing the reality away to the back of his mind. It terrified him. Everytime he saw a strange thing on people's body part, he tried to look away so he wouldn't catch the sight of the numbers written on it. Sometimes though, the barcode was on their face; cheek, forehead, chin. Like the one his neighbor had. 


Woohyun lived next to the family where the father was a sailor; Oh family. He came every once or twice a year, and that day, he came home. He visited Woohyun's house - which only contained of three people; Woohyun, his uncle and his aunt. Woohyun's parents passed away long time ago. Mr. Oh gave Woohyun a box of traditional foods from Hawaii. It was there. The barcode was there, on his forehead and Woohyun didn't want to see it, but he did. The date was set two months after the visit. 


Later that day, Woohyun hung out with Mr. Oh's son, Oh Sehun. He knew Sehun was the last child in the family and he had a bad term with his father. Whenever his father came home, he usually locked himself in his room, only going out if he was told to eat together. Mr. Oh didn't hate Sehun though, he kept trying every year to give Sehun what he wanted but Sehun kept ignoring him. Knowing that his father was going to die soon, Woohyun decided to say, "Sehun-ah," he called. "Don't you think you should try to spend time with your father?" Woohyun carefully suggested.


Hearing that, Sehun surprisingly sighed. He looked to the distance while they both kept cycling the pedals of their bicycle. "He doesn't love me," Woohyun frowned hearing that. "I really want him to get a normal job. He only came hame once or twice a year. I couldn't see him as a father. Especially when he'd been doing that since I was born," Sehun said. "Chanyeol hyung has a memory of spending time with him when he was little. While I don't." 


Woohyun chuckled lightly listening to his friend. "You're still lucky, you know?" He started. "Both of my parents passed away when I was only two years old. Sure, I have a kind aunt and uncle, but it feels different. Whenever you fill that form on school, you just have to skip the parents' identity field. I barely even use the word umma and appa." Sehun stayed silence for a while, before Woohyun continued. "Have you changed your mind about your father now? Actually, I think he's an amazing man. Sailing to Hawaii.. I would do that if I could." Woohyun said with a sheepish grin which Sehun only responsed with a chuckle, hitting his bestfriend playfully.


When they both arrived home, Woohyun could see from the window of his house that Sehun decided to do what he told him to because he hugged his father once he came home. Woohyun also thought that maybe, this ability wasn't that bad.

 

 

 

Well.. wasn't that bad until the year 2012.

 

2012 -- Where Woohyun already turned 22 and he took a study on Acting major. Being an actor is something he always dreamed of, and he was pursuing it. His ability kept being hidden and only for him to know. He had seen a lot and he somehow got used to it. He just wanted to enjoy his life now, not caring about what he could actually discover. 


That day, he was bringing a stack of papers to Mrs. Lee's room, which was placed on the other side of the college. Luckily, he succeed on his mission and Mrs. Lee told him to stay outside for awhile because she wanted to give him something as a reward, which Woohyun gladly did with a wide smile. 
He was leaning on the wall when someone tapped his shoulder lightly. As he turned around, he saw a nervous giant hamster with brunette hair which looked soft. Also the hamster was wrapped in a pale skin that-


"Uh.. Hello?" he, the hamster, asked in confusion and Woohyun blinked with a lot more confusion than the latter had. "I was asking if this was Mrs. Lee's room.." he said again, chuckling. Woohyun immediately blushed and scratched his nape which wasn't itchy at all. 


"Y-yeah, it is." Woohyun formed a nervous grin. "I'm Woohyun, by the way. I have never seen you around.." the other one smiled widely and nodded - which was really cute and addicting, Woohyun thought. 


"I'm a new student here! I came from Gwangju. I'm Sunggyu, Kim Sunggyu." 

 

 

From the day Sunggyu introduced himself, Woohyun had decided that he really had to get his attention. That hamster needed a cage and Woohyun willingly volunteered himself as his new cage. After going to Mrs. Lee's room, Woohyun offered Sunggyu a tour around the college since he was new, and Sunggyu accepted it without hesitant. Woohyun found out that Sunggyu was actually two years older than him and he got into the Singing major. He loved singing since he was young and he really wanted to be a singer. A rocker, preferably. It took them hours to finish the little tour but Woohyun didn't mind, because being with Sunggyu felt like he was being with someone who he had known for years. Sunggyu could join the conversation well and kept it going either. They told each other about themselves and got close immediately.


The next day, Woohyun took Sunggyu to the best coffee shop in town and Sunggyu was more than happy to join him. This time, Woohyun introduced him to his friends, which only contained of five people; Sungyeol, Myungsoo, Hoya, Dongwoo and Sungjong. Sungyeol and Myungsoo went into the Acting major just like Woohyun. Hoya and Dongwoo to the dancing one and Sungjong was studying in Art major. He was the youngest yet the smartest among them. Sunggyu sticked with Woohyun at first, but eventually got into the warmth of the others' conversation. They kept asking about how Gwangju looked like and why did he come here and stuffs. Sunggyu answered them all happily and Woohyun couldn't help but to feel happy either seeing the older's smile.


He thought to himself, that making Sunggyu happy was going to be one of his main goals in life.

 

 


The two of them kept hanging out together. Sunggyu liked to ask Woohyun to accompany him buying something that he needed, or just simply watched movies on the weekend. Woohyun felt himself had won the heart of the hamster because Sunggyu kept clinging at him. No matter how close Sunggyu with the others, Woohyun was still the one he called late at night just because he was stressed. Their apartment wasn't that far and they usually met up on the playground near their apartment and they would talk about things, until they felt better.

The first time they kissed was three months after they knew each other. They were in the library - cheesy, I know. Woohyun didn't know what came into him but he just leaned in after Sunggyu laughed beautifully (in Woohyun's opinion.) They were on the very back of the room where the Korean History books were stored and luckily, no one was there. Sunggyu leaned back to the shelf as Woohyun leaned closer to his face, and their lips were connected. In a soft touch and swift move, the way they both liked. 


Of course, after that Woohyun asked Sunggyu out and the older whispered an agreement in such a cute, shy voice.

 

 

Woohyun kept thinking about Sunggyu's tattoo though. The thing was, Woohyun had never seen it. He checked on his nape, arm, foot, shoulders, back, even chest and stomach, yet he had failed to find it. Woohyun really didn't want to know when Sunggyu was going to die, but it was really weird if Sunggyu didn't have any barcode on him. He still saw them in other people but not Sunggyu.

Ev

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter