04. some kind of undercover popularity [vol.1]

A Dream With A Twist

Ahra watches Sihoo’s figure become smaller and smaller as the car drives away from the town.  Why didn’t he drink my blood? Why is my heart beating so fast? Why didn’t I know he was a vampire? Thoughts fill her head with no mercy, and she can’t wait until she returns home to her piano to well, release stress. This is too much to handle.

 

Later, in her room, as she listens to Zedd’s Spectrum and tries the chords out on the piano, Ahra thinks about how she should have figured out Sihoo was a vampire much earlier.

He goes out in the sun so much, he always gets first place for anything track and field related, yet his skin is white. Like, glowing white. Unless he’s using some extraordinary brand of sunscreen that I haven’t heard of, it’s impossible to maintain such good skin.

Ahra tries to concentrate on her task to play the popular EDM song on the piano as per requested from her fan following on Youtube. She’s been uploading covers every Friday for three months or so, and her videos get at least 100,000 hits every time. You could call it her secret past time of sorts, since she’s never actually shown her face on the camera. Still her encounter with Han Sihoo does a remarkable job at distracting her, and it’s remarkable because Jo Ahra is usually a very disciplined person.

I mean, I should have caught on sooner right? He never eats with people, and he never accepts chocolate from the girls who present him with fan-gifts. He’s always either on the rooftop, in the band room, or with Baek Mari. Oh yeah, Mari. Isn’t it because they’re both vampires that they always stick together? And he found her on the very first day… took her to the nurse… ran with her… huh, why do I even care?

Wait, why did she even faint? Was it because- oh. I changed her lock password. Oh. Well that… Okay, it’s my fault. But two guys helping her? Almost kissing Jaemin’s neck and pushing him away? And then Han Sihoo carries her like it’s second nature? Didn’t I give her a blessing in disguise?

She looks down at her fingers and her conscience tugs at her heart. Fine, I’m still in the wrong.

The past few days have felt like a losing battle. It’s pretty much obvious that with amnesia or not, Jung Jaemin is bound to be smitten with Baek Mari. Strangely, Ahra can’t find it in herself to hate her anymore, but it does kind of hurt. A bit. A lot. She’s been trying to grapple with and ignore the fact that Jaemin and Mari are the fluffiest Vamp-Human duo on campus, but with this morning’s absence of them both(along with well, Sihoo), the realisation had hit her right in the gut.

She’s also wallowing in mortification not only from her very badly done imitation of his “aing” biting thing, but from the fact that Han Sihoo saw her on the street, miserable and close to tears. It’s not my fault that I cried, ugh, he did sing very well… it’s like listening to some saeguk ost, how could you not cry? It’s like relating to a heart-wrenching Jason Mraz song on the street… what am I even saying…

Her fingers catch the rhythm of the song and translate electrical riffs from EDM soundboards onto the seasoned keys of a baby grand piano. Ahra smiles to herself when the strung-together melody turns out pretty well when compared to the original soundtrack. But before she sets up the camera to film from the right side of the keys, she stops herself. There’s a certain melody that’s been haunting her ever since she had returned home, and although she had tried to put her Youtube fan requests of an artistic cover for Spectrum first, the itch to play the tune is something she can’t ignore.

Her hands flit over the keys as the memory of Sihoo’s singing and the chords of his acoustic guitar start to paint an auditory image in her mind. But when she reaches the bridge, the memory becomes slightly blurred. Ahra realises that it was around then that she started to feel pretty emotional while hearing Sihoo perform on the street; and her cheeks turn crimson in embarrassment. Gosh, I think I cried. E m b a r r a s s i n g .

Recalling the whole song may be hard, but the emotions, the sense of relatability and the faint embers of fading pain in his voice and his playing still remain crystal clear. It kind of makes her wonder what was it that gave him so much angsty inspiration, but Ahra figures that she has an idea of what it could have been. Still, the unrelenting melody eats at her, and she hates when she gets like this.

Ahra has always been the “curiosity kills the cat” kind of person. Or uh, cat. If she hears a song that has her ears bewitched, she’d spend hours just to find the tune again and play it. Be it prowling for it on the internet, or backtracking to the same café in which she’d first heard the song, Ahra would do anything.  It’s an unhealthy obsession. And it frustrates her to the core that she doesn’t remember the rest of the song he played. In a last ditch attempt to find it, she types keywords into Naver and hopes for it to surface.

Nothing relevant comes up.

Groaning, Ahra closes the page and returns to fix the camera’s position to film her playing from the side. She plugs her earphones in and listens to Spectrum for the last time, before putting it away and switching on the camera’s record button.

Fingers fly on black and white as the camera rolls, and the melody actually sounds good. Looks like I might be able to do this in one take.

Just after she ends the song, her phone dings with a kaktalk notification. Hurriedly, Ahra switches off the camera. I’ll have to edit that out later.

 


 

After dinner, Ahra’s back at her computer, editing the video and adding captions like “Tell me your requests for my next artistic piano interpretation video in the comment section below!”. When she’s done, she logs into her account.

“Likera” appears on the screen, and she cringes. It’s what she had named her youtube account way back, and it’s a stupid name. It was supposed to be representing the “jo-ah” part of her name as “like” because that’s what it translates to in Korean, and “ra” was just uh, the remaining part of her name. She made it when she was 13 anyway, she was lame back then.

The top right of her screen floods with Google notifications when she clicks on the little bell button, but they’re mostly English comments. Some of which are simple enough to read, some that aren’t, and some that reads, “Are you Asian? Only Asian people can play like that.” Ahra imagines that if she shows her face, there’ll probably be more racial-stereotyping stuff in the comments.

But she’s pretty. She knows. There will be a time when she shows her face, but eh, not now. It’s nice to know that people subscribe and watch purely for her music.

">http://

Ahra uploads the finished video and waits for the views to stream in as she returns to her homework with hardly any energy left. But when she plugs out her earphones and looks at the first chemistry homework question about ethyl methylphenylglycidate, the room is silent. And Sihoo’s guitar melody comes to haunt her again.

She’s itching to text him about it, but Han Sihoo’s that kind of guy who reads the message in a minute but never ever replies. And it’s not like she can just mention it; things are awkward now, ever since he’s told her about the vampire stuff.

But it’s not that she’s scared about it, she guesses. Should I be scared of him now? I’ve never been scared of Baek Mari. Well uh, maybe when I witnessed her on the brink of eating the bejesus out of Jaemin’s injured body after he fell from the crane, but other than that, she’s hardly intimidating. They just have weird eating habits. And are uh, good-looking.

Why should I be afraid? 

 

a/n: hey guys! so i realise there's hardly any interaction between yall and me sighs and our little fandom! this show isn't appreciated enough, and although it had low ratings the last 3 eps did a good job of justifying the show! please tell me how you've found the chapter so far - it's the first one that's deviated off the plot. comment please; i need feedback HAHA.