Prologue

Olympus
I have often found bright colors to be aggravating to my eyes. When I am painting, I find myself replacing lemon yellow with a golden ocher, brilliant red with its muted crimson partner. I’ve always preferred a duller reality. In a way, my twin brother’s the same, although he prefers his colors in the opposite, lighter (or should I say lightest?) part of the spectrum.
 
Recently, though, we’ve both been craving for a twist in this monotonous norm.
 
Growing up, we knew we were different from our family. As small children, it was the simplest things we noticed, like how we have an unusual eye color and an extremely pale complexion—none of those our parents have. As we learned and developed, we became aware of more significant anomalies in our health, comportment and behavior.
 
Physically, we’ve always been on the slender side with delicate hands and feet. But while other children had changing features as they grow up, a certain development in them to make their faces and bodies show age, we were horrifyingly flawless, too unchanging. Even in pictures of our childhood, you could see that our features remained the same, simply growing larger.
 
What had also been with the both of us as we wandered through the years was a faint emptiness—a hollow portion in our chests, a void left unfilled. It was as if the components that made our persons were missing a gear, a bolt.
 
That was until we started to discover our terrifying “abilities” and rather strange things happened. There were times when my hands felt ice cold, frozen from bones to skin, to be warmed only by withered plants. Times when I stared in horror at the faint silvery glow of my nails as a wilted and blackened flower lay in my numb hands. Times when my twin would get an identical glow as he touched the very same flower and it would come back to life. It was then that we knew without a shadow of doubt that we are very, very different from the people around us.
 
That twist in the monotone, the filler of the void, was mind-blowing—something we’d never have suspected or imagined.
It was the gift of Zeus that changed us eternally.
 
 


 

A/N: Hiiii. So...was it intriguing enough? ^^

I'll be posting a new chapter as often as I can, but for now the best I can do is probably once or twice a week. Also, I want to know your thoughts so please don't hesitate to comment. Don't worry, I take to constructive criticism rather well and I believe your suggestions would immensely help in building this story.
 
, S.