one

Upside Right
 
 
"Today's the big day," Yixing announces as he twirls around headquarters. "Jongin will be placed in EXO, he will be with his best
friends, they'll be perfect, and everything will be wonderful."
 
"You don't know that," Minseok says. He's been pacing across the marble floor all day, chewing his fingernails to their beds. "What if he makes it and Sehun doesn't? OH MY GOD, WHAT IF SEHUN MAKES IT AND HE DOESN'T?"
 
"Turmoil," is all Wufan has to add. He's curled up in his sad blue chair, watching the scene playing out in front of Jongin's eyes with a deep frown on his face. 
 
"He ing deserves this spot. I swear to god, if he doesn't get in..." Jongdae cracks his knuckles and neck as he watches Jongin's gaze intently, as though fully ready to fight someone. 
 
"Sh, guys it's happening!" Yixing says happily, bouncing to the control panel and leaning over it. He swats Minseok's prodding hands away. "What are you doing?"
 
"This is so scary," Minseok whines. 
 
"Okay, you're right," Yixing agrees. He steps aside, letting Minseok nervously tamper with the buttons. 
 
"Great, now he's sweating," Zitao says with an eye roll. "Because that's totally cute."
 
"Shut up, listen!" Jongdae growls. He storms over to the controls and turns up the volume of sound Jongin is hearing. A man's voice booms through headquarters, loud and monotone. 
 
"And for the unit to debut in four months time will be..." The man pauses and the emotions brace themselves. "Kim Joonmyun, Park Chanyeol, Byun Baekhyun, Do Kyungsoo, Kim Jongin, and Oh Sehun. I'd like you all to see me for scheduled, individual meeting times with me. Everyone take the night off. You'll need the rest, because starting tomorrow, you'll prepare for debut."
 
"HE DID IT," Yixing shrieks, shoving all levers forward. Jongin covers his mouth and smiles and laughs and hugs Sehun as a result of Yixing smashing his trigger happy hands over the control panel with anything but control. "HE MADE IT. OUR JONGIN IS GOING TO BE A STAR AND LIVE OUT HIS DREAMS AND HAVE MILLIONS OF FANS."
 
Minseok lays face down on the floor. "Debut is only four months away."
 
"From the looks of this group, he's definitely the main dancer. And visual," Zitao says, filing a nail.  
 
"What if he's not?" Wufan mopes, sinking further into his seat. 
 
Jongdae's ears go red. "Don't ing say like that, Wufan."
 
Silently Wufan stands up. He drags himself to the control panel and takes Yixing's hand, pressing it to a button with a teardrop on it. At once, Jongin bursts into happy tears, making all of the other emotions groan. 
 
"Pathetic," Zitao hisses, storming away from the View. "I can't watch this travesty."
 
**
 
Jongin anxiously places his hand on the practice room door. Today is the first practice with just the six of them as a group. His nerves are running high due to the fact they will be learning the first bit of their debut song today. No dancing, just a whole day dedicated to vocalization. Jongin is near pissing himself because, where most of the trainees have the vocal talent and struggle with dance, he is the exact opposite. 
 
He can hear voices inside and while he doesn't want to hold up practice, he also doesn't want to face the potential awkwardness of being forced together with a group of men he basically has no choice but to like. 
 
"Aren't you going in?" Comes vaguely familiar voice from next to Jongin. It spikes his fear, making him yelp and jump to the side. He relaxes when he notices that this person is Joonmyun, who he knows is the shoe in leader of the group. Joonmyun is nice. He helped Jongin with bars a few months ago and in general is a pleasant person to be around. 
 
Jongin scratches his hand awkwardly. "I'm just-"
 
"It's okay to be nervous." Joonmyun smiles warmly and puts a hand on Jongin's shoulder. "You're here for a reason, Jongin. You're incredibly talented."
 
Corny, Jongin's mind screams. He doesn't say it, because he really does need the comfort. Instead Jongin nods and lets Joonmyun lead him into the practice room. 
 
And almost directly into another person. 
 
", I'm so sorry," Jongin says, looking down at the boy and his spilt music sheets in absolute horror. He bends down to help him, gathering them all in an order that is probably incorrect. This is in no way a good start. 
 
"It's okay, it's just paper," the boy says calmly. His black hair is over his eyes as he arranges sheets. When he does look up, it's to smile at Jongin reassuringly. 
 
Jongin short circuits. The boy has a beautiful smile, his full lips quirking up lopsidedly. They're heart shaped, Jongin notices, which is the very moment he stops breathing and correctly processing information. Thick lashes cast shadows down adorably chubby cheeks. He looks tiny in his baggy white t-shirt and black jeans. He hums as he gathers paper. His fingers are warm when they brush Jongin's. When they stand, the boy is significantly shorter than Jongin. He's holding out his hand. Jongin should probably do something. 
 
"I'm Kyungsoo," the boy says, shaking Jongin's hand. 
 
"Jongin," he says, sounding robot-like and less than intelligent. "I'm have to Sehun find."
 
Kyungsoo laughs deeply, which makes Jongin kind of want to explode. "Sehun just left to show the new guy around. Are you okay?"
 
"I'm just tired," Jongin lies. 
 
"Come sit, then," Kyungsoo says, giving Jongin another beautiful smile and playful nudge. "You're late." 
 
**
 
"What. Was. That," Zitao spits, falling onto a green beanbag chair and burying his face in his hands. "That was so ing embarrassing. What the ? What the flying ?"
 
"Well, now one out of five members hates him," Wufan sighs. "He should go cry in the washroom. I think he needs to cry."
 
"No," Yixing halts, sitting Wufan back down in his gloomy corner. "We need to figure out what just happened."
 
"It's that little 's fault. Kyungsoo," Jongdae scoffs. 
 
"He scares me," Minseok says softly. "He made Jongin's heart pound. Jongin felt fear that I didn't create. That's terrifying."
 
"Only you can create fear," Yixing reasons, his chin. "It's got to be something else." 
 
"It was me," comes a soft voice through headquarters. The emotions all turn to look at the being that entered. He's as sweet looking as his voice would imply, dressed all in loose fitting pink and white cotton. His hair is blonde and fluffy, face both young and mature at once. He smiles radiantly. "I'm Luhan."
 
"Who let you up here?" Zitao asks bitterly, giving the newcomer a once over. 
 
"The train of thought picked me up," Luhan explains gently. "They said I was needed. I'm Love."
 
"Love isn't a central emotion," Jongdae spits. 
 
"It will be for Jongin, apparently," Yixing says, stepping between Jongdae and the new emotion protectively. "Welcome aboard."
 
Luhan takes Yixing's hand and bows to kiss it, watching Yixing with flirty eyes. "Please to be here."
 
"Oh my," Yixing breathes, colouring a bright pink. He turns back to Jongin's gaze, coughing and returning to business. "Well, Luhan, hopefully you can give us some insight as to what has been going on."
 
"I know exactly what is going on," Luhan says as he strolls up to the control panel. The gaze shows the practice room and five men sitting in a circle with an older looking man pacing around the circle. Oddly, everything is a blur around a central
tunnel of vision that leads to the small vocalist that has not said much since practice began. Luhan points to the image of him. "Jongin has experienced love at first sight. It's rare, but so is love being a central emotion. That's why I'm here."
 
"That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. He doesn't even know the kid," Jongdae says. 
 
"Oh, but he wants to," Luhan says. He rubs his hands together and turns to face the emotions. "And with everyone's help, he will."
 
"HE'S DOING IT. HE'S MALFUNCTIONING AGAIN!"
Minseok panics, smashing his hands over the control's. Jongin starts blinking rapidly. Zitao groans when he starts sweating. 
 
"Relax," Luhan says, gently guiding Minseok off of the controls. He taps on some keys and Jongin's breathing begins to regulate. The emotions watch curiously as Luhan allows Jongin's heart to pound intensely. Usually this is a sign of fear, and the emotions would go to work trying to sooth Minseok out of a fit. But Luhan seems totally comfortable with it and how it makes Jongin blush. His gaze returns to Kyungsoo, who is apparently singing. 
 
"He sounds lovely," Yixing gapes, hand over his chest. 
 
"He's alright," Jongdae says nonchalantly. 
 
Zitao opens his mouth, then closes it. Wufan starts crying. 
 
"This is the worst thing that has ever happened to him ever," Minseok decides. His fingers are shaking and he's barely holding himself up, using the panel for support. 
 
"They say that love soothes fear." Luhan winks at Minseok. "We'll have to see about that, won't we cutie?"
 
Minseok falls over and Zitao and Jongdae proceed to howl at him until Yixing helps him up. 
 
**
 
"You have to talk to him," Sehun whispers. He's sitting with Jongin against the practice room mirror. They've been told to take five, which is much needed considering they've been going over the same four bars for an hour. Kyungsoo is killing them all. Baekhyun and Joonmyun are not too far behind him. Chanyeol is comfortable in his rapping position. Jongin can't peel his eyes off of Kyungsoo, which Sehun finds rather annoying. "Like, actually talk to him. With real words, Jongin."
 
"I can't," Jongin whines, letting his head flop down on Sehun's shoulder in defeat. "He's so cute. And talented. I have to quit the group. I can't do this."
 
"God, you're such a baby." Sehun shoves at his friend. He jerks his chin over to the music system, where Chanyeol is leaning over Baekhyun's back, practically draped over him. They're laughing about something on the laptop. "See? They can flirt, and Chanyeol acts like a seven year old. Just talk to him about practice or something."
 
Jongin straightens up and nods, hyping himself up. "You're right. He's
just a boy. And I'm hot, right? Don't answer that."
 
"You're actually hopeless," Sehun sighs, shaking his head at his best friend. 
 
Sehun puts his headphones back on and Jongin takes that as a push to go talk to Kyungsoo. He stands and swallows thickly before pushing his shoulders back and attempting to look casual as he strolls over to where Kyungsoo is scribbling notes onto sheet music. He taps the older's shoulder. 
 
Kyungsoo looks up, wide eyes making him look permanently curious. He smiles. "Hey, Jongin. What's up?"
 
"Just came to see what you were doing," Jongin says. He takes a seat next to Kyungsoo. This is fine. This is easy. He can do this. "You have an amazing voice, by the way."
 
"Wow, thanks," Kyungsoo says. The flattery makes him shy, and he looks back down to his paper. "I've seen you dance. Not to sound creepy, but I've been among the female trainees that watch you once or twice. You're unbelievable. I could never move like that."
 
"That's not creepy," Jongin assures quickly. He's heard praise about his dancing so many times that he has become numb to it, used to brushing it off politely. Coming from Kyungsoo, it might as well have been the first praise he's ever received. "That actually gives me an idea."
 
"Yeah?" Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow at the younger. Jongin's heart rate picks up again. 
 
"Yeah," Jongin says. He looks Kyungsoo in the eye, despite how it's making his fingers shake. "I could help you with dance and you can help me with singing. It's a win-win."
 
"Plus it'll count as the bonding that we've been encouraged to do," Kyungsoo says, mocking the squeaky voice of the woman who had spoken to them for half an hour about team bonding and supporting one another and putting up with everyone's flaws and all of that cliche garbage. Kyungsoo nods. "Alright. Let's do it."