Prolouge

Ghost Hunters 1.0

Professor Eugene Kim's secret lecture on ghost hunting in Korea, May 10th, 2015, Stanford University

"Most of the countries of the world has established a ghost hunting society. In America, it is the farmers of America who are their ghost hunters. In Japan, the mangakas are the ones who hunt down ghosts in between drawing their mangas. In Canada, their government officials are the ones directly responsible for this job. In Russia the police, who are most directly involved with the ghosts' deaths, carry tthe weapon to rid of them. In Britian, it is the doctors. And in Korea...where I am from, it is the idols and actors who are competing to be the best at this duty. 

"It is best to say that the only way to safely go about hunting ghost is with a partner or a trustworthy group of companions. In Korea, everything is a competition. Between entertainment companies, they are rivals with a burning passion to be better than the other. Within entertainment companies, the groups are competing to be next one to make a comeback. In each group their work as a ghost hunter will determine their role within their group.

"Actors are more established ghost hunters of the higher society. They tend to work solo. I must say that it is their level of acting skills that determines how well they do on the field. 

"The only method to kill an already dead ghost is not to stab the ghost in the heart, but right between the eyes, with a special dagger. The dagger is made with hardened mica. It is said that to stab a ghost between the eyes is to blind them from the horrors of this world in which they witnessed and let them move on. Most ghosts that linger have unfinished business. 

"We will first review some famous people of Korea's ghost hunting society and entertainment world. Starting with Won Bin. He is a very popular actor and has been a solo hunter ever since he began acting. He's a legend for anyone in the ghost hunting society. He's already had 47 confirmed kills since the beginning of this year. He's addicted to this job. Next is Ji Sung, and his wife Lee Bo Young. Very cute and popular couple who has decided to settle down. Rumor has it that she is pregnant. Both are skilled ghost hunters who have decided to retire. It is a shame, but ghost hunting is also something that runs in the blood. Already, the parents are expecting their child to become the next great actor and ghost hunter of their family. 

"As for idols, the big three companies YG, SM, JYP. As reflected in their company activities, the same could be said about their kill count. YG is laid back about things. He of course had to work very hard to get where he is now. Although, his companies idols comebacks and debuts do not directly vary with their kill count, the idols work the hardest to hunt as many ghosts for their pay. SM entertainment is all in for the money. Their kill count in fact effects how much revenue they make. They establish many tours, and their idols get involved in many other things besides just performing on stage. Even when it means ghost hunting outside of their established territory. JYP, on the other hand, has no systematic way of running his company. But he chooses employees passionate about their kill count. And as you can see, he is very successful. 

"But the specific group from a smaller company, Woollim, has caught the attention of the ghost hunting world. Within their company, the idols work as partners. Ah, but Infinite has 7 members, an odd number. So which one of them doesn't have a partner? Jang Dongwoo was in a group of three with Hoya and Myungsoo, but since the fall of 2013, Dongwoo has had no activity on the field. That's because he was, quote, "terrorized by a ghost." Now, ghosts can't physically harm people. Dongwoo claimed that this ghost had actually grabbed his leg and pulled him off his bed while he was sleeping and tried to strangle him. And he's not the only to have claimed that. But it is always the same ghost that physically terrorizes these ghost hunters, specifically in Korea. The ghost hunters of Korea are now filled with bloodlust to catch him."