What We Came to Be

What We Came to Be

I stared at the pile of legal contracts I had to go through, stressed and tired I stood up to go and grab a cup of coffee. I took a look at the clock before I walked out of my office, it read 08:01pm and my welcoming part would be at 09:00pm, I exhaled and closed my eyes, 'I can do this'. 

"Would you like a cup of coffee, Jin?" I asked as I walked to my secretary's desk. 

"I already had two cups in the past two hours." Jin leaned back on her chair and ran her hand through her hair sighing loudly, "They really love to play the newbie, you just started and you already have to go through almost a month's worth of legal files."

I stared apologetically, "You can go home, I'll take care of the rest. Don't worry about it." 

She raised her eyebrows and chuckled, "You? All alone? You have at least ten more contracts to look through and at least twenty to scan and send to the boss. I'm not going to let you do it all alone, I'm on your team. We do this together." 

I smiled at her, "I wish I could give you a raise."

Jin smiled, "My yearly review is coming up soon, put in some good words would you?"

I chuckled, "Alright." I nodded to her and walked towards the employee kitchen. "Okay, how do I work this machine?" I whispered as I stared at the espresso machine, Jaejoong used to always make my coffee and now that I had to make one by myself I had no idea how. I stood there for five minutes looking at the machine when I heard something, no, someone behind me. I turned around to see a tall man with jet black hair, he was leaning against the door with an empty mug in his hand.

"Do you need help?" he asked as he casually walked towards the machine, turning it on and refilling his cup.

"Please," I walked up beside him handing him my mug, he quietly filled my cup and handed it back to me. I turned towards the fridge to grab the milk, "Would you like any?" 

"I take mine black." I turned around to thank him, and when I did he was right in front of me. Surprised, I took a step back, staring up at him I gave him a small smile, "Thank you." He didn't reply and walked away. 

.

"Cheers!" the boss yelled as he raised his glass and drowned his drink, everyone watched as he wiped his lips and began eating. I slowly sipped my drink as everyone happily chattered about their summer vacations and what they were going to do for the lunar new year. 

"Jihyo, are you going to go home for the lunar new year?" Jin asked as she sat down beside me passing me a new glass of cold beer.

"No, not this year, my mom is overseas visiting her friend in France."

"That's so nice, what about your dad won't he be home alone?"

"My dad left us when I was younger," I said casually, "It's just me and mom."

Jin looked surprised and sipped her drink, "I'm sorry."

I smiled and shook my head, "I'm over it, its been soo long that I don't even remember his face." After some awkward silence Jin turned around and began to talk to handsome lawyer that worked next door. Then all of a sudden the girls began to whisper furiously I looked up from my phone to see the marketing team walk into the resaturant. 

"I forgot to tell you, I invited the marketing team to join us! Since they are on the same floor and have a new employee working for them, I thought we should be friendly and have a nice joint welcoming party," Mr. Lee smiled and began to talk to the head of the marketing team. 

"Holy cow, he's so good looking," I heard one of the girls whisper as the new employee walked in. I didn't get a good look at his face as he was busy taking his shoes off, but once he stood up straight to face the tables I instantly recognized him. He didn't smile as he made his way to the group, there were no seats empty beside mine and I shifted uncomfortablely, hoping that someone would pull a chair beside them and make him sit. He stared at the table and everyone and nodded his head, once he spotted the empty seat he moved towards it.  I shifted slightly over to Jin who was blushing furiously, "You're so lucky to be sitting beside him" she whispered in my ear. 'No I'm not' I thought as he sat down beside me. I could feel his stare bore through my head, I willed myself not to look back at him but something made me turn. 

.

"How was the party?" Jisoo asked as I dropped onto my bed. 

"Weird."

"Weird?" Yoonji asked as she threw me a waterbottle, "Drink before you get a hangover, you're a lightweight." 

"You know that guy, that second son, the heir?"

"Lee Soohyuk?" 

"Yeah, him."

"What about him?"

"He came to the welcoming party too, apparently, marketing team and legal team had a joint welcome party for the both of us. We sat beside each other..."

"How's that weird? Jisoo asked as flopped into my bad, "You sat beside him...so?" 

"Well, he asked me out."

Yoonji and Jisoo's eyes buldged, "WHAT?" they both yelled.

"Of course I declined, I mean it was only the second time I met him and the first time he didn't even tell me his name."

"Why didn't you say yes," Yoonji questioned, "He's like one of the hottest bachelor in Korea!" 

"You know her she doesn't go out with guys for wealth or fame, she only goes out with them if she 'connects' with them." 

I rolled my eyes and swatted at her, "Shut it." She giggled and popped a chip in . I yawned and got up, "I have to get to the office early tomorrow, I'm going to shower and then to bed." 

"B-but we need to talk about this Soohyuk dude, he seems so weird," Jisoo protested. 

"Tomorrow." I waved my hands and went to get ready for bed.