What We Came to Be

What We Came to Be

Jisoo ran into the kitchen with her hair in disarray and her pants half on, "Why didn't you wake me up? It's almost half pass seven, I thought I told you to wake me up at 6:30!"

"It's actually only 6:23, I forwarded your alarm clock by an hour and a half, I know that you wouldn't wake up if I called on you. You wake up and stare at your clock and always give yourself at least thirty 'five more minutes' before you get up, might as well scare you awake by making you think you were late."

Jisoo pouted as she slowly buttoned her pants and walked towards the kitchen table, grabbing a piece of toast she took a large bite, "Are you going to the interview that Yoonji set up for you at her company? It'll be great for you to leave your job at Jaejoong's law firm, I mean you broke up with him over a month ago yet you see him everyday. It's time to move on to another company."

It was true, I saw Jaejoong everyday. But we don't talk. I try to avoid him as much as possible. "Yeah I guess I should... I already put in my two weeks notice last week." The two weeks notice wasn't actually handed in by me, Yoonji did it without me knowing. She had bugged me to do it and when I didn't, she wrote one herself, took my seal, signed my name and handed it to my boss. At first I was ticked off that she did it since I wasn't ready to leave his side (even though I've been avoiding him) but at the same time I was thankful because I knew I didn't have the guts to leave him.

"Well, if you want to you can go through my closet and pick out an outfit. As you already know Yoonji works in a very established and renown company. You need to look stylish and sharp."

I nodded, "Thanks, I'll ransack it."

She laughed. Finishing her toast she got up and headed back into her room. I took a sip of my coffee and stared out the kitchen window, the flowers withering in the garden. The weather was getting chilly and winter would soon arrive... This winter would be different... I remember I wouldn't be going to the skiing resort with Jaejoong and enjoying the hot chocolate by the fire in our little rented cabin this year. I sighed, drank the last bit of my coffee and placed the mug into the sink. I went into my room and glanced at our picture before I grabbed my robe and towel for a nice hot shower.

"Okay so today is going to be a little hectic in the office. The boss has decided to come and visit. I can't go with you to the interview so I'm just going to say it now," Yoonji stopped in her tracks in the middle of the entrance of the company, she turned to me and smiled, "Sweetie good luck, I know that they will love you. Just be yourself and show off your y brain. Your expertise in corporate law is what they're looking for.. so flex that lovely brain, okay?"

I laughed, "Okay, I will. Thank you."

"No problem, anything for my best friend."

"Now go. Look at the time."

She stared at her wrist watch, "OH . Okay. I'm going to go. Good luck!" 

I watched as she sped walk- more like ran towards the gate, swiped her card and enter the elevator. I exhaled a deep breath and looked around the first floor of the company building. Everything was modern and high tech, it was amazing how they could make such a space so luxurious. I walked towards the reception desk and was greeted by a beautiful girl, "Hi, I'm here for an interview with Mr. Lee from the Law department. My name is Jihyo Seong." 

"Oh, okay." She handed me a pen to sign in and fished out a visitor card from her desk, "His office is on the 17th floor. He's not in yet so you might have to wait but I'll let his secretary know."

"Thank you."

.

The interview was unusual, Mr. Lee was unusal. He had arrived to his office an hour late, without a word he motioned me to follow him into his office. After asking two questions about my experience, he hired me. Apparently he didn't care what experience I had in coporate law, all he cared about was that he and I got along. As long as I wasn't some stuck up serious prude without a sense of humor he was okay with hiring me. He had a jolly laugh and he always seemed to be smiling even though he was talking serious business. I liked him. He made me feel comfortable. I was to start next week when my office was ready. I shook his hand and left with his number and an offer to go to my own welcoming party with the other lawyers and employees of the department. I was starting new and it was amazing how easy it was.

.

 Yoonji waited for me as exited the building, "How was it? Did you get it?"

I smiled widely and nodded, "Yes, I did! He even told me that there is going to be a welcome party for me! Isn't that exciting? How was the boss' visit?"

Yoonji made a face, "My team leader was so nervous that he left the office stating that he had a meeting with an important partner, so I had to lead the tour for the boss. It was so ing annoying, he always does that." I chuckled, Yoonji always had a problem with her team leader. Even though he had worked for the company for ten years he always seemed to lose his head when there was a visitation from the boss or any higher position manager. 

"Well at least the boss knows who you are and can see how hard you work maybe he'll give you a promotion." 

Yoonji made a face, "I have been only working at the company for three years you need at least five years of experience to be able to get to a higher position. Besides I rather not piss off the seniors who are in the positon to get a promotion but have been passed because of me." 

Yoonji was always thoughtful of others. She was one of the most hardworking person I know, her persistence and detail to her work led to many promotions offers, but she always passed it off to her seniors. If I think about it now, from elementary to present, Yoonji was always considerate of other people. Many people loved her, especially her seniors. She was a hardworker that boosted her team morales as well as performance, not to mention she was easygoing and helpful whenever anyone needed her. Yoonji is a good friend and often times I wished she could see how hard she worked and how much she deserved the promotion offers, she was overly qualified for them.

We headed to the nearest cafe and ordered lunch, "There has been rumors in the company that the boss' son is going to be working as a regular employee in the company," Yoonji gossiped. 

I sipped my coffee and listened nodding my head. 

"Apparently, he had just finished his business degree in Harvard and is heading back to gain experience from the company. He's the second son of the boss so he won't be heir to the fortune and company. But at the same time it's crazy to know and think that he will be working at a low level position."

"What position is he taking?" 

"The marketing team for one of the new restaurants thats going to be built by the new resort-- it's a really small project. So I'm pretty shocked, I mean CEO Lee allowed his older son to take the director's position when he first entered the company, it's a shame that he doesn't treat his second son the same." Yoonji paused and took a sip of her iced latte, "Rumor has it, that the second son isn't really his son but his younger brother's son. CEO Lee took the boy in when his father died in a car crash and his mother ran away with some other rich businessman after his death-- this was when the company wasn't as big as it is now. CEO Lee denied the rumors before when the press asked him about it but from what I heard his second son does not look like his cousin or the boss at all. According to the Director Lee's secretary, who has seen the second son, he's far more handsome than the Director and CEO. He's also different compared to the two, he's more stoic and less friendly than the CEO and the director."

"What's his name?"

"Soohyuk. Lee. Thirty years old and SINGLE! Can you believe that a wealthy, good looking man, is SINGLE. People might say something's wrong with him for him to be single." 

I laughed, "Everyone says something's wrong with a perfectly normal person because they don't fit into the norm or others expectations. I'm sure he's a normal man he might just be too busy with his career and education to have one."

"That's true."

"Besides, I woudn't judge a person without getting to know them." 

"Jihyo, Jihyo look at you so mature," Yoonji giggled, "You're always so non-judgemental."

"You know I know that that's a lie. Everyone is judgemental."

"I know, I know." 

Lunch arrived and the two of us began to eat not knowing that the person who sat two tables away from us heard everything we gossiped about and was extremely amused. A person that would enter my life like a hurricane causing destruction and pain.  Pain that I wish I never needed to experience again.