[Im]mature

Mature
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Donghae was roused from his sleep by the sound of a phone going off. His eyes opened, still in his sleep-hazed mind, and reached languidly for the phone on the bedside table. His movements were a little restricted because of Hyukjae’s arms around him but he didn’t want to pull away so he stretched his arm to grasp the device. As he turned back, he took a few seconds to adore his boyfriend’s peaceful sleeping face, his breath hitting Donghae’s neck. Donghae leaned in and kissed those red lips with a happy smile. Then, he remembered what he was supposed to be doing, so he looked at the phone and pressed a button to awaken it. When the screen lighted up, he realised it was Hyukjae’s phone, not his, and there was a new text message.

From Jieun.

Who was Jieun?

Ignoring the voice in his head saying he shouldn’t invade Hyukjae’s privacy (he was his boyfriend, there is no such thing as secrets between them), he opened their conversation and read through their texts, eyes glancing at his cutely sleeping boyfriend occasionally to make sure he wasn’t caught. At first they were just texts asking about study notes and lesson information, calming Donghae’s quickly jealous heart, but he perked up when he saw the recent ones.

Jieun: Hi! ~ are you coming on Friday?

Hyukjae: Oh hey, I’m so sorry, I have other plans.

(Yeah damn right you do)

Jieun: But you promised me weeks ago you’ll attend if I held a party. It’ll be my first college party. Please?

(The only promises that matter are the ones he makes to me. Just FYI. And who cares if it’s your first college party? This is our eighteenth date!)

Hyukjae: I don’t know…This is kind of important.

(I am the most important thing in his life.)

Jieun: Please? You promised!

Donghae scowled. This girl was annoying and whiny. He told himself that he, on the other hand, was allowed to be because this was his boyfriend. Hands off.

Hyukjae: Okay.

(You weakling.)

Jieun: THANK YOU OPPA I LOVE YOU.

WHAT!? He had to read that text like five times. Donghae scowled harder. How dare she call Hyukjae her ‘oppa’. Even if he wasn’t a girl, the only person allowed to call him that was him (he did occasionally call Hyukjae oppa anyway, and Hyukjae loved it – he doesn’t admit it but Donghae knew he did). He wanted to choke this girl through the phone. I will hunt you down you man-stealer. You’ll never see me coming.

Jieun: Hey, where are you? Did you already leave?

This text was from late last night/extremely early this morning. Donghae figured it must have been her Hyukjae was speaking on the phone to after Donghae came out of the shower…

The next one was also from Jieun and had been the text that had woken Donghae up.

Jieun: Morning! I’m outside your apartment. I figured you were tired so I brought you some coffee and breakfast!

How nice.

She brought Hyukjae breakfast.

Wait, what?

Just as Donghae finished reading the text and the words fully registered in his mind, he heard someone knocking on the door and a female voice calling out, “Hello? Oppa? You up?”

Donghae glanced at Hyukjae who was still asleep and he felt determination run through him. This was it. He had to send this gold-digger away from his Hyuk once and for all. He sat up and tossed the phone onto the bed randomly before picking up one of Hyukjae’s tops and pulling it on. He put some sweatpants on too and was already glaring and grumbling at the fact a girl was here about to offer his boyfriend breakfast. Only he was allowed to do that, God why didn’t anyone get it?!

People nowadays. No respect. (Tsk, tsk).

He walked up to the door and opened it just enough to show his face, meeting an awfully pretty girl (but not as cute as he was, thank you very much) who smiled when the door opened at first, but was now looking very puzzled when she saw it wasn’t who she expected. She was holding a bag in one hand and her phone in the other.

She beamed, although it looked a little forced. “Oh hello! I’m Jieun, I was wondering if –”

“Hyukkie doesn’t want your breakfast,” Donghae crossed his arms, not trying to hide his dislike, which he wasn’t doing a very good job at. A new thought came to mind: this girl knew where Hyukjae lived! Did this mean she had been here before? Had she brought breakfast for him before? “And he doesn’t drink coffee.”

Take that.

I destroyed you.

Jieun’s eyebrows furrowed and her eyes trailed down to his shirt, which Donghae realised was actually a hoodie and had the college name and emblem on it. Her eyes widened when she must have recognised it as Hyukjae’s.

“Sorry, who are you?” she asked with an awkward chuckle, smile fading a little.

Donghae scoffed (he knew he was being a jerk but he couldn’t help it (hey, anyone else would do the same)). “I’m surprised you don’t know seeing as he’s your ‘oppa’ and all. I happen to be -”

“Hey, babe, who is it?” Two warm hands wrapped around Donghae’s waist and Hyukjae’s face nuzzled into the crook of his neck. It was the side of the neck that Jieun couldn’t see because of the door, so she was curiously trying to peak through into the room. “It’s too early…” he added sleepily, and Donghae would have melted by his voice that was extra raspy (in a y kind of way), if it wasn’t for this intruder.

Thank God Hyukjae had put on sweatpants and a wife beater (that damn wife beater – it was too revealing!) and to think if he hadn’t been here she would have seen Hyukjae in this adorable, sleepy state. But, considering Hyukjae was peppering him in kisses, he decided she couldn’t miss this. Donghae opened the door wider so Jieun could see Hyukjae sweetly kissing his neck. He couldn’t stop the smug smile.

Victory is mine.

“Hyukjae?” she asked, face shocked.

Hyukjae glanced up and Donghae waited for his reaction. Had he even told people he had a boyfriend? That he was gay (well, biual actually)? Would he pull away and start blubbering excuses? If he did that would really hurt.

Much to his relief, Hyukjae just rested his chin on Donghae’s shoulder, still hugging his body to his. “Oh hey Jieun. How was the rest of the party?”

“G-Good…”

Hyukjae gave a lazy smile. Donghae wished he didn’t look so beautiful when he smiled like that – that smile was for his eyes only. “Sorry again about leaving early. What are you doing here?”

“I… I was going to… I thought maybe from the party…” she stammered for the right words, looking panicked as she darted her gaze between a threatening Donghae and a grinning Hyukjae.

Hyukjae looked to Donghae who was staring at her like he was trying to blow her up with his mind. “Haha, this is Donghae by the way.”

“Oh,” Jieun said and then she genuinely smiled though she looked a bit disappointed. “Nice to meet you. Oppa talks about you all the time.”

Stop. Calling. Him. Oppa.

“He better,” Donghae mumbled.

“I was surprised. I thought Donghae was just a friend because you make him sound so childish. I assumed he was like, still in middle school,” she said with a giggle and Hyukjae chuckled behind him.

Just… a friend?

Donghae has never been more insulted in his life. We have gone past the limits of friendship lady. Don’t you dare put me in the same category as you. We are on a completely different level.

Donghae’s grip on the door knob tightened.

“He never told me you were his boyfriend…” Jieun continued and seemed quite downcast that her crush was taken. (“But I did…” Hyukjae started).

Okay, now Donghae felt even more insulted.

He took a deep breath. “Well I am. I’m his precious boyfriend and I’m telling you to go away, stay away and don’t call him oppa. We don’t have time for gold-digging, man-stealing people like you so go find someone else to leech off. He’s mine.”

K.O. es.

Jieun blinked, taken aback by his unfriendly tone and Hyukjae loosened his arms in shock. She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear nervously. “Ohhhhkay… I should probably… go now.”

“You probably should.”

Hyukjae kissed Donghae’s shoulder, in an effort to calm him. “Baby, stop it.”

“What? She’s the one bringing you breakfast at freaking seven in the morning! And,” he twisted out of his hold and gave Hyukjae a firm push to the chest. “Don’t call me baby!” He stormed away from the door.

He was not sulking. He was just in silent resentment. They are completely different things.

He heard Hyukjae laugh embarrassedly, say goodbye to Jieun and apologize for Donghae’s behaviour (how rude, I’m not sorry at all, Donghae thought bitterly), and close the door with an amused but slightly annoyed smile.

“That wasn’t very nice, Hae.”

Donghae crossed his arms and ignored him. Still not sulking.

“Someone’s not in a good mood this morning.”

“That’s because she ruined it!” Donghae said angrily, already breaking his silence. The silent treatment was so much easier when they were apart and their only form of communication was via phone. “Who is she? And how does she know you live here?” he asked as he paced around the kitchen.

“We’re college friends. She came over once or twice when we had projects together,” Hyukjae answered and laughed when Donghae’s eyes darkened. “College related projects. You know, she’s actually really nice and smart and funny…”

Donghae was seething and boy did he show it. Do you want to experience death, Lee Hyukjae? Because I will bring you her corpse and we’ll see how nice and smart and funny she is then.

“You’re making a very scary face right now,” Hyukjae chuckled, wrinkles under his eyes becoming evident as he grinned. Donghae’s pulse speeded up because omo! He was so cute!

To hide his inner squealing, Donghae gritted his teeth.

“Your face right now, it’s kind of ugly," Hyukjae teased.

Donghae’s mouth twitched.

You dare call this face ugly? This face is your life! And you’re just going to have to get used to it because it is the only face you’ll be waking up to in the mornings.

“You didn’t tell her you have a boyfriend?” Donghae said softly, eyes downcast.

“I did tell her,” Hyukjae said and his voice was steady and sounded truthful. He went to Donghae and placed a finger under the brunet's chin, lifting it up to meet his warm, sincere gaze. “But maybe she misunderstood or forgot. I did tell her, but it was a while ago.”

Donghae chewed on his lip.

“I know she flirts with me but I don’t like her as more than a friend,” Hyukjae reassured in his soft, gentle voice that showed how much he cherished Donghae. “I don’t like her as much as I love you.”

Don’t fall for it yet. You. Are. Strong.

“Don’t talk about me to her,” Donghae said and it was a struggle to get the words out without balling his hands into fists and demanding he cut all contact with her and move colleges also because he can’t be in more than a mile radius of her (could he be more dramatic, really? (Um actually, yes he could)).

“I’m sorry, I like talking about you. I thought you’d be flattered,” Hyukjae laughed as he walked to the kitchen counter turned the kettle on and pulled out a mug and teabag because he knew Donghae liked to have tea in the morning.

“How can I be flattered if you make me sound like a child? She thought I was just a friend and in middle school!”

“Aw, relax. It’s because I make you sound so cute.”

“I am cute!” Donghae corrected. Going off topic now, do not let Hyukjae off this easily! He has made you feel jealous and insecure and now you must punish him (and he likes hearing Hyukjae’s sweet words of reassurance). “She’s trying to take you from me!”

“Hae, nothing’s going on,” Hyukjae said, still patient, and poured the boiled water into the mug.

“Yeah, well, she wants something to happen! She’ll probably break into here later and spritz her perfume around to mark her territory,” Donghae said and Hyukjae burst out laughing, almost spilling hot water on himself. Donghae panicked in those few seconds and he took a couple unsteady steps in case he faltered. Luckily, Hyukjae had enough control of his hand to keep the kettle steady.

“Where did you get that idea?” he guffawed as he put the kettle down. “If you’re really worried, why don’t you spritz your cologne around first?”

Donghae sat down at the counter and pouted, then said in the most miserable, quivering, distraught voice he could muster, “I didn’t bring it.”

“Oh well. Too bad,” Hyukjae said, pretending to sympathise. “Guess she’ll just claim me first and, well, I’m a loyal guy so –”

“No Hyukkie!” Donghae jumped up from his seat and wrapped his arms and legs around him like a koala, forcing Hyukjae to hold him up. “You’re mine! I already claimed you anyway!”

“Aish, you’re heavy,” Hyukjae said and tried to pry Donghae off of him but was still careful not to drop him too abruptly. “You gained weight. You should really stop eating so much junk food.”

Excuse me? This that you love so much is half made of junk food!

Donghae glared. “You picked Sungmin up, but you won’t pick me up?”

Hyukjae lifted Donghae onto the counter and rolled his eyes. “You’re right Hae, you’re not childish at all.”

Donghae’s brown eyes shone like had received the best compliment ever. “Really?”

“You’re a total baby.”

“Yah!”

“Where are you go – why are you taking my wallet?”

“You hurt my feelings! You have to buy me chocolate now!”

“Hae… seriously?”

“…”

“Really?”

“…”

“Don’t look at me with those eyes – oh, fine.”

 

 

 

 

Hyukjae had one hand on the steering wheel, and the other propped up against the window by the elbow. The song was playing extremely loud inside the car and Donghae was swaying and jumping around in his seat as he sang the words to all the songs he knew. Even if he got the lyrics wrong, he continued belting the notes out very, very loudly. Seriously, the stereo system in this car was no joke. He could almost feel it vibrating in his seat. He always kept a bunch of his CDs in Hyukjae’s car, even if Hyukjae didn’t like the band or artist.

Donghae flashed a toothy grin to Hyukjae who had his dark sunglasses on and was concentrating on the road, occasionally glancing at the super excited Donghae.

“Why are you smiling so much?” Hyukjae asked as he gave the younger a side look.

“I’m happy!” Donghae giggled. “Because you’re here!”

Hyukjae chuckled lightly but didn’t really have a response prepared so he kept quiet. Donghae put his chocolate wrappers in a plastic bag and dumped it on the floor of the car, much to Hyukjae’s displeasure.

“Could you –”

“I’ll throw it aw

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter