INTERNAL CONFLICT

cynical romantic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 Dedicated to: inspirit7ifnt & kpopaddict_ for their swanking upvote

as well as my lovely readers~My love for every single one of you guys goes beyond the stars━━━★

Halloween update~ enjoy luvs

TWENTY-FOUR

I N T E R N A L C O N F L I C T:

mental struggle arising from opposing demands or impulses (see: the alliance)

I was a nervous wreck the rest of the day and the day after that. I had all of my fighters out on back to back patrols that around our territory that lasted all day, called on Kaiden to draw up defensive battle plans and ordered that all the sick, elderly or with child be accompanied by two able bodies at all times. If Cade had found Nicole and somehow known that she'd mated with Mark, it was only a matter of time before he found my pack.

Which is why the next day Jaron, Kaiden, Mark and Jason Black(one of my best fighters and an absolute that shared the title of praetor with Mark) and I sat at the same crappy folding table in my office we sat at whenever we discussed our plans of escape back in ia at ten o'clock at night, still arguing over what we wanted our next move to be. My head ached from my wolf's constant nagging. She knew something was happening, and her urge to protect was going haywire.

“We are in absolutely no position to participate in a war,” I repeat myself for the third time, knocking hair out of my face and glaring at Jason. “Declaring it out of the question.”

“But we can't just wait around for Cade to make a move,” he sighed loudly, “And what about that Nicole girl? She should be held responsible for leading Cade back to our pack.” Mark stiffened at Jason's words but said nothing.

“Nicole only came to us because she was dying. I don't make it a habit of refusing help to a dying shifter.” I say, trying to hold onto my last strands of patience, “And as I said before, she's offered a sort of alliance-”

“Which we should take advantage of immediately instead of pondering over her true intentions,” Jason cuts me off, “Who cares what she really wants? We need her fighters.”

“Alliances aren't just decisions I can make lightly,” I argue, “It affects the entire pack.”

“Well, there won't be a pack if we're all dead,” Jason growls.

I shut my eyes.

Jaron slams a fist on the table, “Jason, you are overstepping your boundaries. Stay in line. We're here to make decisions for the good of our pack-”

“Don't tell me what to do,” Jason hissed, “Everything I've ever done is for the good of this pack,” His Current flares up, anger bleeds into his voice, “Aaemi Kou may be our alpha, but she's only eighteen. How can she make decisions that take years of experience to even comprehend?”

My eyes snap open, “Age has no effect on the decisions I make. Let's keep in mind that I was the one that planned our escape-”

“We wouldn't have needed to escape if your father hadn't put us in that position,” Jason rose to his feet, glaring down at me, “You have no right to lead us. First your father kills Cade's son and tells us to carry the weight of his sins. Now you bring some random stray into our home and manage to lead Cade back to us!”

My wolf snarls at him as my eyes light up amber, “Jason, I am nothing like my father and I've given this pack every reason to believe so. You will not disrespect me like that-”

“Or what? You'll kill my daughter?” His eyes are wide with anger and hysteria as he laughs. I grit my teeth at my wolf tugs at my self-control. Mark stands up and places a hand on Jason's shoulder.

“Come on man, that wasn't called for.” His voice is low and deadly.

“It's true!” Jason's voice carries around the room, “Maybe killing runs in the family.”

My wolf wants me to stand up and slam my fist into his face. I want to crawl up into a ball and die of shame. Kaiden, who's stayed quiet this entire time crosses his arms over his chest and looks up Jason's heaving figure.

“Jason, I've known Alpha Aaemi since she was nothing but a pup,” Kaiden says, leaning forward in his chair, “Never has given me a reason to think that her father's legacy lives on in her. I get that you're scared; we all are. But do not allow fear to cloud your judgment. A daughter of a dead criminal does not live on to atone for her father's sins. Nor is she expected to take responsibility for them.”

Jason breathes out, grumbles something, then sits down. His submission does nothing for the high-energy tension in the air. I swallow and stiffly push hair behind my ears.

“Now, why don't we continue along the lines of that alliance with this 'Nicole' person.” Kaiden turns to me calmly, gently prompting the conversation to continue civilly, “What do you know about her?”

I pull up her profile on the international supernatural registration, something that supernaturals had to partake in order for our existence to be publicized two decades ago.

“Nicole Storm. Twenty-one. Alpha of pack M088. Beta: Blake Storm. Ranked second most influential pack... in the world.” I trailed off. I knew Nicole was powerful, but this was crazy.

Jaron whistled, “Impressive.” He turns to look at me, “It's strange, though, isn't it? Raven shifter alpha of a werewolf pack?” It was strange.

Jason ignores Jaron, seizing upon only the words he wants to hear, “Second most influential pack in the world? Do we even have a reason to reject her offer of help?” He throws me a patronizing gaze that makes me want to rip his tongue out and serve it with seasoning, “Alpha Aaemi, this could be the opportunity of a lifetime, if Nicole is as powerful as that says she is, we could end all ties with Cade. Period.”

“But her intentions,” Mark speaks up, “A busy, powerful woman like her flies all the way from England to offer some unknown pack an alliance?”

“I met her in Vegas actually,” I say, “She offered me help after reciting our pack's history with Cade. Her pack was also been feeding with Cade's indefinitely. Nicole definitely has intentions, but I don't think they're bad.”

Jaron nods, “And what about the whole fact that maybe be Jungkook's sister? And the fact that she is your mate? Maybe she wants to take responsibility.” Mark's jaw tightens.

“Wait. Who's Jungkook? And I thought you smelled different,” Jason says accusingly. After a moment, Kaiden raises his hand.

“I'd like to know as well.”

I sigh, “Jungkook- he's alpha of pack L1004. He's my mate.”

Jason explodes exactly how I expect him to, “Your mate?” His voice raises, “And when exactly are you plan on telling your pack?

Wincing, I shift my weight, my having fallen asleep in the first three hours of this meeting, “I didn't really have time for a mate, Jason. We'd just moved, and-” I trail off, not wanting to voice my fear of trusting someone.

The way I see it, trust anyone and everyone until they give you a reason not to. That way, it's their fault if you get hurt and you aren't left with any regrets.

Nicole's words ring through my thoughts suddenly. Her words were chosen and structured into a sentence that made so much sense that I felt quite stupid living any other way. Trusting someone, anyone, blindly and then getting hurt after seemed a lot less exhausting than keeping your walls up all the time.

“But if you'd like to meet him-,” I say, staring him straight on, “I can introduce him to the pack tomorrow at the pack meeting.” I smell Jaron's surprise and then Kaiden's, but I don't look away. Introducing Jungkook to the pack meant that I was practically sealing the deal and the fact I'd made the decision so rashly made me feel giddy.

“That sounds like a good idea,” Kaiden nods, “Why don't you introduce him and Nicole and then we can decide as a pack what we want to do from there?”

After voicing my agreement, I tuck my hands into the pockets of my jeans and stand up. Everyone follows. “Then why don't we end this meeting? My 's asleep.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter