Final

Of circles and smiles

It started as a high school hobby for Song Minho. He, Zico and P.O were in the school’s music club and would meet regularly to jam together in the music rooms and it was through those sessions they got to meet Seungyoon and Jinwoo who were awesome singers with each having their own distinctive styles. From there, they were largely inseparable moving from one gig to another hoping someday someone relevant will get to know and see the potential of their music.

Things were not going well for Mino. In fact, nothing seemed to going well in the recent months. The band members have been performing in various pubs hoping for a chance to get their name out there but it was to no avail. He wondered if or when they will ever be able to make it. It seems that all they have been doing were to audiences who would not even give two hoots as to what they were singing. Apart from live gigs, they have also tried sending countless of tapes to agency but so far they have not gotten any responses from any of them.

Talk about things looking bleak…  

Music was always what Mino wanted to do despite his parents remarks that the path he chose for his career was a passing phase that he should be helping out with their family business instead. If there was one thing Mino hated, it was being told what he should be doing instead of following his passions. So here he was living on money earned from their gigs and on bare essentials so that they can stretch their dollars for longer periods of time.

However for that particular night, they all felt like it was just not going well for them. They just received word from their landlord that they need to produce rent in 2 weeks or they will be kicked out and to add to their troubles, the night’s gig was at some bar where middle aged sleazy looking men came to pick up sweet young things and hoping to score.

They could not be happier when the break for their first set ended, Mino tiredly set down his guitar before going off stage for a much needed drink.  He prayed that their band would be able to get a break. They were close to losing hope for a brighter future.

At the other side of the club, a guy called Nam Taehyun watched as the band filed off the stage after their first set ended. In all honesty, they were a really good band. The singers got skills and as well the others who were on keyboard, guitar and drums. It was hard to come by bands that actually could play their own instruments instead of being manufactured in the large sea of idol groups.

However, there was one guitarist caught his interest. The guy had a nice tanned skin and really dark eyes that was framed with equally thick and dark eyebrows. He could not help but to notice how the light played off on his skin, facial features and emphasizing on his toned physique.

The band in general looked down, he could tell, there were something off in each of their eyes. They were struggling and he could understand that feeling all too well since he was struggling as well. Taehyun always wanted to pursue photography much to the dismay of his mother. He had been secretly signing up for photography classes in the evenings after school ended for the day. On days where he does not have classes, he worked as a beer promoter and would go around taking photos of various patrons and selling the company’s beer. It was rather ty work with the occasional unwanted attention and solicitations from customers but he was not complaining since it pays well enough to cover his living expenses and support his photography classes.

Seeing the band was like watching a reflection of him, with the daily struggles they had to go through to pursue their dreams. For better or for worse, they chose to follow their dream so it was part and parcel of chasing down the path they took. After all, that was what life was about.

Wanting to cheer them up especially the guitarist, Taehyun took a picture of the guitar with his Polaroid camera and wrote an encouraging message before he set it on the seat where the electric bass guitar stood. Taehyun then quickly went back down from the stage and continued his rounds for the night.

Mino came back to only to find that someone left a picture on his seat. He took a look at the picture. It was a really well taken shot of his guitar with the way the person captured the object with the lighting. It reminded him of the time when he first fell head on in love with the instrument. The Polaroid picture came with a caption that read:

It may look really dark and bleak right now but remember it will get brighter for you because you can only go up from here. Fighting!

He quickly scanned the crowd to see who could be the one to leave the photo on the stage. He knew that it had to be one of the promoters that night because they were going around taking Polaroid pictures of the customers. However with a number of them serving the floor coupled with extremely bad lighting, he could not determine which one of the promoters was one that took the picture.

Somehow the picture did help him with his mood because they did much better for they did much second set of songs, earning a satisfied smile from Taehyun was watching the performance from the bar while serving a customer.

It turned out really well because they managed to catch the attention of a scout for one of the big label, YG, and were invited to a private audition which they managed to pass and join as trainees to debut.

The picture would then become the one constant that Mino make sure to take along to motivate himself when training days were exceptionally hard and days seem uncertain.

~~~~~~~~~~

After graduating from university, Taehyun decided to share an apartment with 2 other good friends of his, Seunghoon and Jiyong, while at the same time continuing to take advance photography classes. They were still in the midst of moving their stuff in when Jiyong invited them for a night out to celebrate the end of graduation and a new beginning.

They met up with Jiyong’s boyfriend, Seunghyun, who brought them to a club which had a good live band playing that particular night and one of the members was Seunghyun’s brother which Taehyun would only come to learn of his name later, much later.

Taehyun was really surprised to see that it was same band he saw at the bar a long time when he was still doing part-time work as a beer promoter. The guitarist had a different look to him. He looked happier, more good looking and slightly more toned. Taehyun blushed at his observations but thanked god for the dim lighting that kept his facial features hidden at that moment.

The band was really high that night. They were given a chance to perform at the club where their company CEO goes occasionally to spin. The crowd were especially enjoyable and were dancing and cheering when they played. He could spot his brother with his group of friends but one particular guy with a middle parted hair caught his attention.

The said guy was dancing in the middle of the dance floor as though he owned the space without the care in the world. Mino was happy that he was enjoying their set list and was excited that people liked their music. They ended up adding a few more songs to their predetermined list since the results were so good. In Mino’s mind, he could not forget that particular guy with the middle parted hair. He reminded himself to ask his brother who that guy was.

~~~~~~~~~~

It was a week before Mino was due to leave for Japan. Their company CEO decided as part of their learning process, they would be going to Japan for 3 months to learn and experience the indie band scene. Since he was going to be away for a while, he decided to stay with his brother instead of putting up at the dorm. After all, his hyung was the only family he had in Seoul.

Mino was lazing under the tree doing nothing but daydreaming and random composing when he heard a an audible laugh from a distance that was not too far away from his spot. He turned to the direction of the laughter and was mildly surprised to find that it was the same guy from the club. He knew instantly since the trademark middle parting was something that was impossible to miss and forget.

The guy in question was holding on to a tiny white kitten with markings that mimicked the owner’s droopy eyebrows. Mino had to hold himself back from laughing out loud so as not to startle the guy and ruin the moment. Instead, Mino took out his mobile phone to capture a shot of the guy.

It was later in Japan that Mino decided to set the picture as the wallpaper of his mobile phone. It was because seeing the carefree smile of the mystery guy was enough a motivation to endure the 3 long months in Japan.

Mino deeply regretted not finding out the mystery guy’s name before he left.

~~~~~~~~~~    

Song Minho…

Taehyun thought sadly and regretfully to himself. He seriously wanted to give himself a kick in his own for not asking Seunghyun hyung earlier who was his brother instead of dragging it until it was close to a month later. It was then that he knew the name of the guitarist was called Song Minho and now the band was over in Japan for another 2 months before they would return to Korea and prepare for their official debut.

By now, his good friends slash roommates slash busybody hyungs already knew that Taehyun had a little obsession and crush on that handsome guitarist and have been teasing him to get to know him once the band was back since they were indirectly connected through Jiyong’s boyfriend.

Taehyun figured that things happen when they were bound to happen so there was no use in rushing head first into unknowns. It was same to him with regards to his personal relationships. Therefore, he did not pay much attention too much and just focused on his classes but that did not stop him from following the band during their activities in japan. It seems that they were starting to be gaining interest in the Japanese music scene and Taehyun could not be happier for them to see that things are finally looking up for them.

It was another one of those days that Taehyun had to rush off for his classes. He was making his way to the bus stop when he saw a familiar figure leaning against the tree. Taehyun was surprised then he remembered Jiyong hyung mentioned in teasing that the band, well more like specifically, Song Minho, was back in Korea already but Taehyun did not expect that he would run into him so soon.

Taehyun could not help but to reach into his backpack to take out his trusty camera and took a picture of the guy that was dozing off against the tree.  As soon as he was done, Taehyun had to run off because he spotted the bus he needed to take approaching the bus stop.

Mino opened his eyes to scan the area. It was strange but he found no one in sight because he honestly swore he heard a sound of a soft click. Shrugging it off, he turned and continued his afternoon nap.

~~~~~~~~~~

One might call it fate but Taehyun likened it to coincidence because he kept running into Mino in the neighborhood park and his photography instincts could not be contained so Taehyun would take random photos of Mino whenever he was not noticing. In less than a few weeks, he had accumulated a number of pretty good shots.

“Are you stalking him or something?” Seunghoon teased once when he saw the amount of pictures Taehyun had.

“Well, if I died and am going to be remembered. You can call this my Song Minho period. I was not stalking him. He was like just there. Besides, I need to prepare for my exhibition. I could use some of these photos.”

Taehyun was extremely proud since receiving the news that his work was chosen by his instructor to do an exhibition. He figured he could feature some on Minho since the topic was “a few of my favorite things…” Technically, Song Minho fell into that category, Taehyun thought to himself.  

He wished that he had courage to approach the guy whenever he sees him in the park. It would be nice to be able to invite Mino to the showing. However, Taehyun knew himself best, he was just too shy to do so.

“Oh well…” Taehyun mumbled wistfully to himself.

~~~~~~~~~~

It was another one of those days that Mino decided to go to the park at his brother’s house again. Somehow, it was the only place he could fully relax and not think about the stress about their debut that was drawing closer and closer as the days go by. It was a way for him to escape from the recording sessions, photo shoots and filming for their music video. It felt nice to be just a normal Song Minho for a couple of hours.

Mino was tinkering with his guitar when he heard rushed footsteps from some where that was not too far from the usual spot that he always sat. As he looked up, he thought he saw a familiar figure passed him by and was heading towards the direction of the bus stop but he could be too sure. However, a slip of paper fell out from the guy’s bag. With curiosity getting the better of him, Mino went over to pick up the fallen piece of paper, it was a flyer for a photography exhibition.

It was time to feed the curiosity that was slowly building up.

To say he was surprised was mildly putting it as he looked at the exhibits that were on display, he could not tell those were the works of students. He was glad that he decided to feed his curiosity and came to the showing. However when he turned the corner for the next student’s exhibit, Mino could not help to but stop dead in his tracks and just stared of the pictures that were on display in front of him.

The pictures were good no doubt about it that the photographer had talent but when he saw his own face in the pictures staring back him, he was stunned speechless especially when one of the photos was a shot of his guitar from the night at the pub. There were other shots of him smiling, deep in concentration or staring into space among a few others. He wondered who was the person? Did he have some stalker that he never knew about?

However, at least Mino finally knew who took the shot he came to treasure very much.

Nam Taehyun, 22.

Was that his stalker’s name?

“Sorry, coming through.”

A guy stepped in front to take a picture if his from the exhibit and was about to leave the area when Mino called out to him. It was a familiar back view that he saw earlier that day.

“Hey, I think I need to charge you a fee for letting you use my face as part of your photography subject.” Mino asked out loud.

As he waited for the guy’s reaction, his heart was suddenly beating fast as though telling him that he would be in for a surprise.

When the guy turned around to face him, Mino was stunned for the second time that day…

~~~~~~~~~~

Taehyun mentally cursed at himself for being so forgetful when he stepped into the exhibition hall. He had already left the place to go meet up with Seunghoon and Jiyong hyung but he was already at the subway station when he realized that he had forgotten to retrieve one of the photos from his collection. It was his favorite shot of Mino when he composing during once of those many instances where Taehyun ran into him at the neighborhood park.

Taehyun then immediately moved towards where the photo was placed. Well, he jolly well knew that the place will be locked up at the end of the day but his over-thinking mind was worried that the picture might get damaged or worse, lost forever.

Taehyun mumbled a quick “Sorry, coming through.” And immediately went for the particular photo. He then turned and was about to leave when he heard someone calling him.

“Hey, I think I need to charge you a fee for letting you use my face as part of your subject.” A voiced said to him.

Taehyun froze in his tracks because he knew who that voice belonged to pretty well. As he turned to face the person standing behind him, Taehyun’s brain was telling him that there was no way it was who Taehyun thought it was. It was just not possible. However, when he was fully turned around, he found himself standing in front of a particular Song Minho.

~~~~~~~~~~

Mino was stunned yet relieved. He could not quite believe that he was face to face with the guy that gave him so much motivation during his time in Japan, the guy whose picture was on the wall paper screen of his mobile phone and the same guy with the signature middle part and a pair of droopy eyebrows. They were all the same one person.

“I believe you owe me a fee for all the pictures of me you have here.” Mino said again and could almost swear the guy in front if him was starting to blush with embarrassment and was unable to meet his eyes.

“I could give them back to you.” Taehyun offered.

Mino was surprised with the way the guy sounded. He thought that with his slightly feminine features, this Nam Taehyun would have a higher tone to his voice but the words that came out were deep and manly.

“I have something better in mind for the method of payment. How about coffee?” Mino stated. He will honestly admit that he did not want to let the guy out of his sight, not when they have been running around in circles for so long.

 It was the longest 3 seconds that Mino ever waited for answer but when Taehyun finally answered, all he felt at that moment was relief.

“Sure, I would love to have coffee.”

~~~~~~~~~~

One could say that it was the start of a beautiful friendship. They actually went for dinner after the initial coffee invitation and Mino would always contact Taehyun whenever he was visiting his brother to hang out or invite Taehyun to come and watch their band practices.

From the short time that he had come to know Mino, Taehyun found that he was quite funny and was always joking around yet he was really serious and passionate when talking about music. He also shared with Taehyun his worries and concerns now that they were going to be debut. Another plus point with Mino was that Taehyun’s cat loves him which was good since his kitten does not warm up to strangers easily.

Taehyun hopes that there might be something more than friendship. However, with Mino debuting in a matter of days, he figured that it might be best that they remained things as they were. After all, he had read countless articles of the extent the crazy stalker fans would do to the idol’s partner or even worse, the idol himself.

However, it would not hurt for him to wish otherwise right?

Shrugging off the crazy thoughts that were running through his head, Taehyun knocked on the door of the band’s dorm bearing dinner that consisted of fried chicken and beer.

“Taehyun-ah! You are here and you have brought food!” Mino exclaimed when he opened the door looking really happy to see him.

“I figured you guys are too busy preparing for your showcase tomorrow to even remember to eat so I decided to bring dinner to you all instead.” Taehyun answered as he let Mino help him with the bags of food and beer.

“You are the best!” Mino happily cheered as he put the bags on the dining table, making Taehyun blush happily.

Like clockwork mice, the members each came out without warning and sat at the round table eating. Taehyun could tell they were nervous as each of the guy sported various degrees of shocked and nervousness.

Once the food had been devoured, each members retreated back to their own rooms leaving just Taehyun and Mino in the living room packing up the stuff. Mino was in the kitchen when his mobile phone rang.

“Taehyun-ah, could you help to pass my phone to me?” Mino yelled out.

“Sure, hang on.” Taehyun answered and he reached forward towards the ringing mobile phone.

As Taehyun picked up the phone, he could see a picture that Mino used for his wallpaper. However, all Taehyun could make out was the picture was about some guy and could not really notice the rest. By the time he handed the phone to Mino, his mind was already processing the little information he saw earlier.

Shoots… Mino has someone he liked.

 Why am I so stupid to have a thinking that Mino might like me?

It was probably really just a platonic friendship and I should not even harbor any thoughts whatsoever.

Suddenly, Taehyun did not want to be in the same place as Mino anymore. He felt as though the walls around him were closing in on him. Muttering a quickly reply about something came up with his roommates, Taehyun quickly made his escape and went home.

Taehyun never felt more stupid…

~~~~~~~~~~

It had been a week since Mino last saw Taehyun. The last time was when Taehyun visited them at their dorm with dinner. Mino was not stupid man. He knew that the guy had been avoiding him. At first, it still sounded reasonable but as it happened more often with excuses that did not seem to make sense, Mino could put the puzzle pieces together.

Seriously, how naïve could Taehyun get?

Mino could easily asked his brother since Seunghyun hyung was currently dating one of Taehyun’s roommates, Jiyong. He missed Taehyun’s company dearly. They would hang out a lot together sharing about anything and everything under the sun. He tried to recall what might have brought about the sudden change in the guy’s behavior.

Suddenly, it was a though a bulb had just lighted up in his brain.

“Nam Taehyun, you are so stupid.” Mino spoke out loud to no one in particular. He could not help but to laugh out loud.

Nam Taehyun was going to be the death of him.

~~~~~~~~~~

Taehyun knew it was a cowardly thing to do by using the avoiding method but he needed to get over his crush on Song Minho.  After all, all Taehyun hoped was to be able to draw a circle around them but if Mino was not willing then was no point in forcing the situation but he will be honest and admit that it stung a bit.

Oh well… life goes on…Eventually he will be able to get over it.

Taehyun sighed for the umpteenth as he looked at his watch. He was supposed to meet up with Seunghoon and Jiyong hyung for dinner. However, he has been waiting for close to half an hour and he could see not signs of them.

“Hello Taehyun-ah…” a familiar deep voice called out behind from where he was standing, making Taehyun almost cringing.

Forgetting Song Minho was so freaking hard…

“Oh hello, Mino.” Taehyun answered pretending to be polite but secretly wishing his friends would arrive soon.

“Are you meeting someone?” Mino asked continuing with the useless small talk, totally oblivious with the inner struggle Taehyun was facing at that moment.

“Yes, I am waiting for Seunghoon and Jiyong hyung. We are suppose to go out for dinner this evening.”

“I see. Let’s go out for dinner instead.” Mino suggested.

“Have you not heard a word I said. I am meeting Seunghoon and Jiyong hyung.”

“I doubt they are going to show up, Taehyun-ah”

It was then that Taehyun realized that Mino had planned this and actually went as far as to enlist the help of his roommates. Taehyun suddenly wanted to nag at his two dear friends so very badly.

“I want to tell you about this guy I met recently.”

Mino started and Taehyun wanted to groan out so badly, not only he was stuck with him but had to put up with Mino talking to him about the guy he was obsessing about. Taehyun wondered if it was God’s way of punishing him for his wrongdoings previously.

“He is a very funny person, really caring and sweet. Oh? Did I mention that he takes really good photographs?”

Great, so Mino has a thing for photographers. This is just so freaking great, Nam Taehyun.

“I have a picture of him right here on my phone.”

“I am seriously not interested in knowing how he looks like.” Taehyun could not help but to mutter unaware that Mino’s shoulders were shaking with barely controlled laughter.

“But I really want to show you.” Mino tried again holding out his phone out to Taehyun who covered in face. He seriously wanted to hit Mino. Can he stop trying to make him more embarrassed than he already was?

Mino could not control his laughter anymore when he saw how Taehyun reacted. He gently tugged Taehyun's hands down so that he could at least see his face and also see who was on the picture of his mobile phone.

Taehyun had no choice but to look at the screen that was held up to his eye level. The only picture that was staring back at him was a picture of himself with his cat.

“Oh?” That was the only reply as he stared rather dumbly at the photo.

“Yes apparently it is you that I could not get out of my mind.” Mino stated pointedly.

Taehyun was suddenly so happy that he impulsively stepped forward to hug Mino happily causing the other guy to laugh as they just held on to each other.

“If you are unsure about something, just ask me about it instead disappearing. I will worry. ” Mino mumbled against Taehyun’s neck as he breathed in the soft vanilla scent. He smiled when he felt Taehyun nodding against his shoulders.

“Okay, I am sorry.”

They broke apart to smile at each other with the both of them sporting similar love struck looks before Mino slowly leaned his head towards to Taehyun so that he could kiss him on the lips. The kiss, though tentative, felt infinitely gentle just like how all first kisses should be. Taehyun was soon lost on the sweetness of it.

As they broke apart to catch much needed air, their hands were naturally linked together and their hearts still giddy over the fact that their feelings have been reciprocated.

With renewed joy, the new couple slowly made their way back to Taehyun’s apartment.

Their paths finally came to a full circle as they chased towards their dreams…

~~~~~~~~~~

Hello, posting a one shot while i deal with a mini writer's block... Hope you will enjoy the one-shot... will update Seven Days soon! As usual, no silent readers please...