Uncertainty

When The Waves Call

"And the prodigal daughter returns." I find Minsu roaming around the corridor near our front door. "Salon? With mom?" He scoffs.

"Hey..." I raise my hands for a split second in my defense. "You believed it."

"Of course I would, I checked your bank account...you spent $250."

"And yet here you are, doubting me."

"Well, I dont know if it was mom who had no knowledge of your whereabouts or the fact that you've arrived at 3am in the morning."

"Don't over-exaggerate Mins-" I said even though it clearly said 3am on my watch.

"What did you two do in the last 12 or so hours that cost so much?" He blocks my way as I tried to escape and glares at me assuming this is a sort of interrogation.

"Its not what you're thinking."

He smirks and continues to glare at me. "Isnt it obvious?"

"Wow, do you really think of me that low?"

Minsu saved time by shrugging his shoulders confidently. "Possibly."

"Well, just to get things over with - we didnt do anything stupid, happy?"

"You're so lucky I covered for you." 

"And what exactly did you say to our parents?" In comfort, I took off the jumper i had worn for the day.

"Hold on....that isnt the jumper you took from me earlier."

Caught in the act, I decided to play along so I analysed the jumper briefly. "Yes it is." this one i'm holding right now is a merlot red and the other I had burrowed was a navy blue, I didnt think he would notice, now he's not as dumb as I had thought.

"I think I would know what my jumper looks like - especially if it were my favorite and if it were taken from me." he emphasises on the words that mattered.

"If it's special as you say it is, why did you let me take it?"

"Because I know you'd be the one wearing it and eventually you would give it back."

Folding the jumper into a ball, I forced it onto his chest. "Well now you've got another one - free of charge of course." I smiled ever so slyly.

It took me to surprise that he didnt grab me from the back or stop me but I was only 2 steps away from escaping the room until he mummbled something that required my presance. "Brooklyn-hale University...This is a college in America."

I roll my eyes and twist my upper body around to see his existence. "Yeah? So?"

"I think you've forgotten that Brooklyn university is-"

I had one of those self-assured feelings inside me that interuppted Minsu "One of the most prestigious schools in America? How could i not?"

"No - stupid. Its abandoned."

"What? Since when?"

"Since 1972."

"Maybe this jumper isnt legit."

"No, look here..." He openly shows me the label on the back that reads "Made in America - saved for Brooklyn-Hale students." 

"Impossible...it looks incredibly new aswell."

"Tell me about it." Minsu continues to eye the jumper.

"Did Jongin manage to tell you where he's from?"

"Calabases."

"So he lived in Calabases but went to a University on the other side of the country?" He gaped at me with uncertainty, he was puzzled, and demanded an explanation as a dozen of theories wondered in his brain about this one person.

"Why not? You applied to Harvard yet you live in Seoul with is a far much more vast distance than California and New York."

"Its j-just..." He stutters and restarts his sentance with a small breath of air. "I'm telling you, there is something suspicious about him and you're risking your life just by thinking about him."

"But if you get to know him, you would know he's not a bad person." I quickly come in to defend this person, I frowned and my lips pursed together with my eyes remaining unblinked.

"Its been 2 or 3 days, do you really think you know him as much as you think you do?" There was no response coming from my mouth. "Do you even know how old he is?" Again, I had no words to say.

"He looks about 19, if not-20."

"Looks can be decieving, I'm telling you - he's dangerous, I want you to stay away from him."

I begin to raise my voice. "You've spoken about 7-8 words to him and all of a sudden hes a criminal to you?" My hands closed into fists, daring Minsu to continue to go against me.

"What is happening in here?" Mother demanded an explanation as she appeared into the scene behind me in her robe, she repeatedly blinked to gain a better sight into the situation knowing she just woke up.

"Nothing, we were just talking."

"Talking? Its 3am in the morning, what are you two even doing up?"

"Like I said-nothing."

 

***

Its been another 3 hours, and in these past 3 hours, I've been restless and wide awake, I've been investigating with my only source - the internet. I searched thoroughly through this case of Brooklyn-Hale university

According to the articles - in simplicity, a large fire was the cause and it remained abandoned ever since 1972, nothing was built over it and it still has remains of the abandoned building. But why do I remember it as a well known prestigious school in America and have never heard of this?

Slowly, the sun rose and it slips through my window curtains, the rays lands on the surface of my skin, touching it lightly. I was roughly about to let my body fall into place until a rushed knock took place on my window, I wasnt even surprised to see Jongin, in a way, I was expecting him to come again even though it was only less than 4 hours ago I was by his side.

"You're eyebags are showing again." That was the first thing he breathed once he stepped into my room.

"'Again'? Since when did I have eyebags infront of you?"

He chuckles so soon that his teeth was slowly revealed as it reached his eyes. "I think you know the answer."

"You're not from the future." I cut the nonsense away.

"I just know you hate it when your eyebags are visible."

Its true...I do but how does he know? I stood there dumbfounded as he freely lead his way to my bed.

"Don't strain yourself darling, everyone hates it when their eyebags show." Him relaxing on my bed usher'd his way to the view of my laptop. "You were searching the fire in Brooklyn Hale University?" Without jumping to conclusions, I silently reply with a nod. "You're probably wondering about the jumper, right?"

"Right."

"That...Its just a jumper my nan made, as far as I know, the men in my family went there."

"Right..."

"You dont believe me do you?"

"No-no, I do." At least I think I do...that answer doesnt answer the fact that the label states its made in America. "So when do I get to meet your nan?"

"Excuse me?" He laughs nervously but at the same time it seemed casual and natural in every way.

"How old are you again?"

"I'm afraid I can't tell you that."

"Of course you can! You can trust me." I display a forced expression in a way to encourage him to believe me.

"I spend one night with you and suddenly I can trust you?"

"Why not?" I shrug my shoulders. "I trust you."

"And what exactly do you mean by that?"

"To tell you the truth, my brother thinks you're dangerous."

A moment of peacefulness came by, the hushing sound of trees swaying its branches filled my ears aswell as the morning birds from outside tweeting a melody.

"Do you think I'm dangerous or harmful?" He fixes his head 90 degrees anticlockwise to match his face with mine.

"In my eyes, I see you as a compassionate person, someone considerate and selfless, someone who puts others' needs first, a honest and positive-thinking person and and on top of all that, I seek for your presance." I babbled on and on but I don't deny that its true, I got lost and dissolved into his eyes as if he forced it out of me. I also felt relaxed and comofortable at the same time as if something is taking over me.

"Is this a confession?"

"Perhaps it is." I felt the slits of my eye-lids closing in, am I talking nonsense?

"I wish you a pleasant sleep, Gong Minzy."

 

***

I regained consciousness before I knew it, the firs thing that came to mind was the smell of a savoury dish, I followed the smell in a blind sight where my eyes were still closed, the dish was served beside me on the bedside, I wake up to an unknown place, it ididnt intimidate me or scare me in any way, it was a place that I would call home if it were mine, it was the definiton of cosy.

"You're finally awake." I see Jongin sat on a chair opposite the bed with a book in his hands, his choice of clothing was a huge change, it contracts to the style I saw him earlier on, at least I think I saw, it most likely was a dream. It was something classy, his shirt was tucked in and he wore pants that looked dry-cleaned and ironed with pointed shoes, last of all, this top 2 buttons was unbottoned revealing his chest hair and his long sleeves were rolled up, he looked perfect.

"What happened? Where am I? What am I doing here? What time is it?"

"One question at a time Minzy." He smiles as he puts the book away. "Do you remember confessing to me?"

"C-confessing?" Suddenly I remember as a flashback comes to mind. "So...that that wasnt a-"

"A dream?" We spoke in sync.

"Nope, it was reality." He grins.

"You're really loving this, arent you?"

"You can tell?" 

I nod my head. "So where am I?"

"My nans house."

"Why?"

"What do you mean 'why'? I recall that you wanted to meet her."

"I wasnt in my right mind at the time!"

"Ahhh forgive me but when are you ever in your right mind?"

"Yahh!" Willingly, I grab the nearest pillow to target him. "Idiot." I name him once he was hit. "...I didnt really mean it."

"Then why would you insist such a thing?"

"Because...."

"Because you thought I was lying about my life?" He takes over.

I had no reason to correct him as I was leaning onto that theory. "Well...you did insist that you were from the future, you knew my brothers and best friends name before I could introduce you to eachother...should I continue?"

"I don't blame you for thinking I'm a stalker but I assure you that I'm not."

"Riiigght. And I'm supposed to believe you?"

"You did admit trusting me or have you forgotten that too?"

"Whatever..." I roll my eyes and ate the dish that was given to me. "What time is it?"

"5:30pm."

"I have to get home soon, its getting late."

"Why?"

"I have a curfew." I state.

He hums and presses onto his lips whilst he folds the blanket I used as I got up from the bed. "That didnt seem to stop you from staying with me in the lighthouse last night."

Crap i thought.

"Besides," he continues. "You're staying for dinner and an hour ago, my nan left to buy half of the groceries and ordered me to get the other half but I dont know my way around Seoul yet."

I laugh in disbelief. "If you could find your way to my house, you could find your way to a nearby grocery store."

"Wouldnt it be better if I had guidance? I could get lost."

"That is why theere is loads of people around, you could ask around."

"I dont like strangers." He expresses.

"Hmm...Didnt stop you from talking to me out of the blue, doesnt it?" I slyly used his words against him, grinning at him - that made me feel better.

"Thats different."

"Different? Different, how?"

"Because I feel like I already know you."

It wasnt awkward but it was one of those moments where I caught myself trap in his eyes again.

"So...errr..." thats when it got awkward - when he broke the peace. "You probably want to get out of those clothes."

I looked down on my attire, I was still wearing my pajamas, did he carry me to his house in this clothing? I dont remember him mentioning he has a car, if he did carry me, what were people thinking? Didnt anyone have the slightest curiosity with what hes doing with a unconscious female body? How did he get out of my house? "Yeah..."

"My best friend has some clothes has some clothes that should fit you over there in those drawers." He pointed at the engaging drawings near the door. "They may be a little loose on you but it should be fine."

I walk over to it and theres a framed picture of a woman, it was the same as the picture in his pocket but enlargened, it came to mind that he mentioned her as his 'best friend'. "Is she someone special?"

"Why? Are you jealous?"

I didnt breathe a word, instead I looked through the folded piece of clothing and picked out the ones I liked.

"You don't need to be jealous. Yes, she is special, you could say I spent all my life with her."

"Thats nice." I comment, it did seem heartless or sarcastic but I really did mean it.

Once I found something that attracted me, I walked out to find the bathroom to change into it, it was a dress you'd call vintage, from what I could tell, it seemed to have rich emroidery, furthermore, it appears to have been taken care of delicatley, this girl must've meant alot to Jongin. 

"She has great taste." I remarked once I appeared infront of Jongin.

"I agree, it looks great on you."

 

***

We walked out of the house together, all I saw were pictures hanged up everywhere of Jongin, his best friend and the two children he claimed to be him and his sister when they were younger, I didnt speak throughtout the whole journey to the grocery store, I just simply lead him there as I was too busy adding the pieces together. I didnt speak until I was certain we had a moment alone together.

"Jongin?"

"Yes?"

"Are you married?"

"What makes you say that?"

I completely ignored that question and pushed a new question towards him. "Those kids...its not you and your sister, isnt it? Its youre children....right?"

 

 


 

[A/N]:// Hellooo! I'm so sorry for the short update after a long time of not updating (2-3months?), I've been really busy with school and everything, I just wanted to say I'm sorry and I'll try to update more :)))