Day 1

When The Waves Call

My fingers automatically tuned themselves in one of my favorite playlists on my phone that reads "Classic FM" but I knew that it wouldnt last long after the foots steps behind me gradually creeping up.

"Yah Minzy-ah, lets go to the basketball court downtown." A friend of mine, Soojin, grabs tightly on my arm as if she was a clingy pet who refuses to leave her companion.

"I think I'm just going to call it a day." I fix my earphones as it slid down once she clung onto me.

"Its the end of the school year! We have to celebrate." Her eyes fixed onto mine extensively with her hands parallel to eachother that climbed up to the side of my shoulders as her nails dug through my uniform. "Please." Now her eyes adapt to a lost pup in need of a companion - in other words, I know the reason why she badly wants to go there, only to gaze her eyes on this one particular guy in her english lit class and he only needs me there so she wouldn't look like some stray pup who isnt following them or creeping up on them like a sasaeng.

Eventually, I gave in as I have nothing else better to do at home and now I have plans to help my best friend stare at boys who tire themselves out due to some sport. "Fine but only for today."

"Thank you! Thank you!" The corners of shot up like fireworks, she grants me a hug, one that absorbs all of my energy as she lifts me up, leading me to exhuastion.

We made it to the bench stalls that gave a clear vision of the basketball court, the two of us made ourselves comfortable considering the amount of time we'll be spending here tonight.

"Don't you think Seunghwan is so dreamy?" She questions me without the ability to move her eyes away from Seunghwan.

"The best." I flipped on my earphones and rolled my eyes as I give her a sarcastic tone just to keep her occupied.

There's nothing much to it, watching boys doused in their own sweat because they're working their butts off to win a game under the scorching game, to me, I just saw no point in it. Eventually, I began to loose interest in the game like I always do, its like a cycle that happens everytime I enter the court, sometimes, I wish something extraordinary happens but it never does.

"I'm going to get some fresh air."

"But we're already outside." Soojin gapes up at me, her eyes had that innocent aspect that draws me to her.

Without the means of appearing to be ungracious or sarcastic, I tell her in the kindest way I could think of, in a way that would make her feel comfortable to be alone. "I meant outside the court, I need to stretch."

"Okay, sure."

It was an unexpected answer as she is usually clingy which I don't mind but it sometimes gets out of hand.

It felt right to be out of the court, I mean- its my first night of summer, shouldnt I be at home? Resting or perhaps binge watching plenty dramas that I've missed out, dont get me wrong - I have a trait of loving the outdoors but I'd rather not be spending that time watching boys bounce a basketball around, I love nature, I love travelling, I like going out. Automatically, I breathe in the fresh air that hasnt been invaded by the boys' moisture. Looking around fixedly, the sun is already halfway gone to the other side of the world, it seems as if the sky has been painted beautifully with a mix of fiery colours that clash together so pleasantly.

"Hi."

My body jerks to the side, almost off the pavement as a car drives past. Almost, I repeat multiple times in my head. I don't know how to approach this person after scaring me, almost ending my life or saving it instantaneously. "I almost had a heart attack."

"Sorry, I didnt mean to." His chuckle was light and laced with a hum at amusement at the matter. "I just thought that someone like you shouldn't be out here alone."

I take one cautious check on his features, his skin - its beige, an attractive beige, its one of a kind, I rarely see this around my area, everyone is fixed on not getting a tan or fixed on wanting lighter skin. His hair is a radiant burnt sienna that flows perfectly to the side and his face shape is structured in a unique way that shows off his sharp noe and jawline. My face is perfectly lined to his chest, he's a tall one, I thought and also thin looking but the clothes that covered him made his physique appear extra built. How am I so magnetised just by looking at one person?

"Do I know you?" I ask out of the blue which is unusual because Its almost as if I already know him or is familliar with him.

"Unfortunatley not but would you like to get to know me?" He sends me a flirtatious wink, I felt as if my cheeks transformed into a rosey colour but I tried my best not to look easy, from what I gathered, he seems like a flirt, do I play hard to get? no, already, this 'bond' or whatever I feel with him has lost points for me now.

"I'd rather not, but thanks for keeping me company." I squint my eyes slightly, performing an eyesmile that came along with an assuring smile, saying 'I hope I dont run into you ever again.'

"Wait." his hand grasps onto my wrist, usually, if a stranger does that to me, I'd flick my hand off but my conscience tells me not to. "I'm sorry, I, er, I messed up."

"Yeah, no kidding." I scoff - in a amusing way.

"I guess, I just wanted to get to know you."

"Well...there are other ways of doing that. You gave me the impression of being a creep." Together, we absorbed into a small laugh.

"I thought so."

I furrow my eyebrows, if he thought so, then why did he do it? Was he testing me? "So...what are you doing here? Are you a friend of Seunghwans or something?" I assume, he does seem the type to be in to basketball and he is a pretty boy that I'm sure every girl in school would fall for.

"Who's that? Is that your boyfriend?"

"What? - no." To me, he sounds so posessive, maybe thats his nature? "He's a friend of a friend."

"Ahhh...."

Suddenly, the players come out of the court cooled down, followed them were other girls from our school and the last of them followed Soojin that struggled to hold my stuff, instantly, I went in before she could drop them, she is quite fragile. "What took you so long to take a breath of 'fresh air'?", suddenly, her eyes were glued onto the man behind me. "Oh, I get what you meant by 'fresh air'. It definatly is fresher out here." She gives me one of thos 'not bad' signs with her lips, I nudge her light-heartedly in a angle where this guy behind me couldnt see. "Well, I'm going to go home, see you around, Minzy-ah!" 

Her small legs pattered away into the distance - great, I thought, we always walk eachother home, now I have to walk home alone.

"Was that Kang Soojin?" 

I am stunned at how he knows her name, is he a relative? a long lost friend? My body turns around 180 degrees with eyes that fixed onto his mysteriously. "Yes, do you know her?"

"Yes."

"How?"

"I'm from the future."

"You are not from the future." I doubt promptly.

"On the contrary, I am."

"Is this some lame way to get a girls attention?"

"You mean flirting?"

What man says such things? But after scoffing it out, I finally realised whats going on here, its all Soojins doings, she's always up to meddling with my life, I remember last time she tried to secretly fix me with someone from her family. "Did Soojin put you up to this?" I cross my arms.

"No, I rarely speak to her nowadays."

"'Nowadays'?" Am I speaking to a lunatic? "Whats your relationship with her?"

"Shes a friend of a special friend." His eyes laid down to my body as if he was examining me. "Do you need help with your bags?"

"I got it."

"I should walk you home."

"I'm alright."

"Minzy-ah, its getting late, I should take you home."

"How do you know my name?"

"I told you, I'm from the future."

For some reason, I feel like he's a stalker, probably someone my father paid, I dont know - maybe I'm just being paranoid or delusional but dad has been asking me about my personal life lately. "Right...okay." I respond without ease.

"Don't worry, I'm not a or a stalker if thats what your thinking." Without asking, he takes a hold of my bag but I lightly tug on it. "I'm not going to steal your bag either."

"Can you read minds?"

"Why would you ask such a thing?" He smiles, taking my bag into his posession as we start the walk.

"I'm curious, its like you can look inside my brain."

"Maybe its because I feel like I already know you."

Within 15 minutes of walking and talking, I, too, feel like I already know him as if we've been friends since day 1. Okay, maybe he's not a stalker or a kidnapper or a mind reader or hired by my father or a relative of Soojin but he's definatly not a time traveller.

"Thanks for the walk home...erm..."

"It was an honour to walk you home." He bows and I for some reason, I felt this tingly feeling in my stomach. It wasnt like any normal bow but the kind a gentleman would or a a personal driver would as he opens the car door for you.

"Wait!" I call him from his behind before leaving. "I never got your name."

"Jongin. Kim Jongin."

In a non-noticable way, I bit on my lip. "See you around sometime, Kim Jongin."

 

****

 

The heavy raindrops managed to get in my head, awakening me from my slumber. I lift my head from my pillow, as usual, my hair band got lost as I am a restless sleeper and my hair tumbles down my back. In front, is my usual view of my balcony, I expected a gorgoues view of my first day of summer where the sun would peek into my bedroom window, lightening my hair like a fiery halo but no, I get the exact opposite, but its okay, I don't mind the rain, the sound - it calms be down but what I do mind is being awoken from my sleep, nevertheless, its noones fault but Mother Natures.

My usual routine is waking up and taking a quick shower, thats what I did as soon as I was awake, I walk back into my room with the towel that wrapped around my body, clinging onto my moist skin and my hair that falls back naturally like a waterfall as water droplets fell on the ground.

I unlatch the knob from my wardrobe, as I take out a dress, a strange knock came from my door except my ears told me it came from the east where my balcony door is locataed, I turn my head only to find Jongin. My first thoughts were to get changed but the rain showered over him forcefully, just by looking at him, anyone could tell that no part of his figure is arid, I would have taken him in in a heart beat but I'm , then I realise, the longer I keep having deep thoughts about this, the more drenched he'll get and more of a possibility that he'll get sick.

So I lightheartedly opened the door for him. "How long have you been out there?" I dash off to the bathroom to get a longer towel for him to dry off.

"Around 8am?"

First, I quickly run the towel through his hair to stop the droplets running down his back. "Its 11am, why didnt you knock earlier?"

"I just came to realise you werent in your bed."

"Well...you can make yourself comfortable, I have to get changed first." I got the feeling he knows I'm uncomfortable around him in this attire and I also got the feeling he was liking it, again, I tried my best not to blush.

2 minutes later, I walk into my room with a cerulean floral print dress and my hair still damp. "Havent you seen the weather today?" Jongin grins. "You look beautiful by the way."

Quickly, I turn away to hide my flushed cheeks. I had that tingly feeling in my stomach again. "You know, you should have told me you were coming again."

"I wanted it to be a surprise." He continues to dry his clothes by lightly damping the towel all over his body.

"Oh right!" I got alarmed. "I'll go check my brothers room to see if he has any spare clothes that'll fit you."

"Wouldnt he get annoyed?"

"Not unless I sneak in." I had that devilish grin appear.

My brothers room is opposite mine across the corridor so I couldnt really sneak in as there were not objects such as plants furnished in the corridor but it was worth a shot. Without taking a breath or a step inside his room, I already felt his presance in there, I got the hint that he isnt downstairs having breakfast at this hour, now I cant sneak in so its time for plan B, persuasion blended with some melo-dramatic acting.

"Who's there?" Crap, he probably heard my footsteps. "Minzy-ah?"

I clung my hand onto the knob, unfastening his door as it creaks. "Guilty." I laugh it off cutely to seem innocent, he ignores and fixes his eyes on his laptop. "Can I borrow some clothes?"

"Why?"

"Hasn't anyone told you yet that boys clothes are far more cosy than girls?"

"You have more clothes than me." Bluntly, he speaks.

"True, but all my cosy clothes are either in the laundry basket, in the washing or are in the process of being dried." He has his doubts, I can tell. "Come on, its raining, I cant wear this dress the whole day, I'm just planning to watch movies."

"Go on." He rolls his eyes, not giving a damn.

"Thanks." Brightly, I smile and rush to his drawers and wardrobe, first I came to his underwear drawer that wasnt organised, the briefs and boxers were blended together and I dont know what Jongin wears so I took a quick guess and took one, hopefully clean, boxer.

"Why are you going through my underwear drawer?"

"Because...all I've got are lace, I want to save that underwear for a special night." I wink humorously.

"I'm not even going to ask."

I giggle away, knowing he knows I'm kidding. Next I went to his shirt drawer, took one jumper and one shirt, one for me and one for Kai. I thought, if I go out of my room, I'd have to wear his clothing to make it believable, I did the same with the pants. "Kay, thanks, bye!" I run away, closing the door behind me before he could question me on why I got two pairs.

"Hey." I whisper as I close my door and walk towards him. "I got you optional clothing, take your pick."

"It's my lucky day." His smile is so stunning, I couldnt stop starring. "But wasnt Minsu annoyed?"

"How do you know my brothers name?"

"I'm from the-"

Faintly, I slap his chest, I didnt expect it to be so stiff. "Cut with the 'I'm from the future' crap." We both laughed.

"Okay, but next time you ask a question like that, you'll know what the answer is." His eyes gaped down to mine, for a minute there, I caught us two having a moment. "So, erm, I'll take the shirt." He holds onto the longsleeve unpigmented shirt. This leaves me with the grey jumper and he takes the denim jersey shorts.

"I'll change in the bathroom, you can change here, just hang your clothes by the window rack." I guided him to the east side of my room then I walk to my bathroom to change.

By the time I got changed, I heard Jongin mummbling, is he on the phone with someone? I peak through the slit and find Minsu sat on my bed. Swiftly, I open the door. "What are you doing here?!"

"I knew you had a boy around." He teases, scrunching his nose. "Wait till I tell dad about this!" 

"You wouldnt..."

"Why not? I've already met him." Jongin cuts into our usual sibling arguments.

Minsu snaps his head to the area Jongin stood. "You have?"

"Don't listen to him." I roll my eyes, knowing very well what Jongins answer would be.

"How do you know my father?"

Understanding Minsus stubborn behaviour, he will not stop asking until the answer comes from Jongins mouth, so I decided to let it slide this time. "He's the person who murdered my father."