Another Day

The Outcasts


From the outside, Seoul High looked like a pretty nice school. The buildings and gates looked brand new from the fresh layer of paint. The campus was neat and not to mention, big. Most of the students liked the school. There wasn't anything in particular to dislike about the above average school. Among the students were the usual.. the nerds, jocks, social butterflies, troublemakers, quiet ones, and clowns.

 

The cafeteria was buzzing with chatter, laughter, and gossip. The cafeteria was always rowdy. Left and right, students were bumping into each other. Students were chattering loudly nonstop.  

However, like every other school, there were also the ones that were considered the 'outcasts'.

One corner of the cafeteria was left unnoticed by the other students. 

 

Shin Haeun sat down at the small table in the corner. This was the only spot in the whole cafeteria that was quiet and empty. One would think that this corner stood out, but on the contrary it didn’t. Students passed by it everyday. However, no one seemed to take notice of it. It was as if that quiet corner didn't even exist.

Haeun ate by herself, just as she had been doing for the past week and a half. She scooped a spoonful of rice and put it in . She chewed quickly and scooped another spoonful. The only sound that accompanied her was the sound of her chewing and the sound of the spoon occasionally tapping against the bowl. While she ate her food, she sometimes found herself listening to the stories the other students told their friends. When she heard a funny story or joke, she would laugh quietly to herself. People would've thought she was weird for laughing by herself but no one would actually look her way to be able to notice.

Haeun finished her bowl of rice and soup. She picked up her tray and set it on top of the stack of other dirty trays in the back counter.

 

 

 

The classroom was dead silent. The only sound that could be heard was the sound of chalk being scribbled across the board. A short woman with thick glasses stood in front of the classroom. Her back was turned towards the class as she scribbled numbers quickly onto the chalkboard. She was a math teacher named Ms. Choi and she had been teaching for ten years.

A student sat up and silently yawned as he stretched out his arms. He slowly sank back down and laid his head on his desk, continuing his nap. This class was the perfect class to take a nap in. First of all, it was the last class of the day which meant that everyone was tired and sleepy. Second, it was a math class and the teacher was super boring.

Haeun always listened and took notes, but even she couldn't help but lose focus and doze off. The lesson was just extremely boring and Haeun was tired out from all the previous boring classes.

The teacher finally turned around, only to be greeted by a half asleep class. She grabbed her pointer stick and with one swift movement, she slammed it against the board. A few students jolted awake. 

"Alright, wake up. It is not nap time. If you want to sleep, you can do that all you want during detention."

At the word 'detention', students immediately straightened up and pretended to pay attention.  

 

 

 

Soon after the teacher passed out the homework, the clock hit three o'clock and the bell rang. 

“Don’t forget to write down the formulas ten times each and remember to show out all your work for each problem!” Ms. Choi reminded.

The students only groaned in response. Students filed out of the class and dispersed into the hallways. The hallways instantly became noisy as students complained about their homework for the night and the boring lessons they had to go through.

Haeun wearily walked through the hallways, holding two bulky textbooks. The only thing she looked forward to was going home to her warm bed.