Jin

The Outcasts


It was a hot day. Luckily for the students the classrooms had air conditioning, except for one class.

Classroom 13A's air conditioner just happened to be broken during this hot day. The students squirmed uncomfortably in their seats. It was way too hot to focus on the lesson. A few students got up from their seats to stand in front of the open windows. Others sat there, fanning themselves with their notebooks.  

The teacher of classroom 13A was pacing back and forth at the front of the class. He was a short man with a bald head. Sweat was dripping off his forehead but he paid no attention to it. He was so immersed in his speech that he didn’t seem to notice the fact that none of his students were actually listening to him.

Jin closed his notebook and plugged in his earphones. He was taking notes on the boring lesson of Korean grammar until the teacher began to ramble about the importance of learning the basics of Korean language in order to be able to communicate well with others in life. Jin laid his head down on the desk and closed his eyes. He knew the teacher wouldn't be stopping his speech any time soon.  

 

 

 

When Jin opened his eyes, students were already packing up their stuff and preparing to go to lunch. The students were relieved that the class finally ended. They were chattering about going to the convenience store quickly so that they could buy some ice cream before it sold out. Jin straightened up and packed up his things. With his earphones still plugged in, he slung his backpack over his shoulders and walked out the door. 

 

It was lunch time and the place most students gathered to was the cafeteria. However the cafeteria was way too chaotic and loud for Jin. He preferred a more quiet and calm place to rest at, and Jin had found just that kind of place. It was at the bleachers located in the school field. Even though there were many people who played sports at the field, the place was so huge that the screams and shouts of the players were barely audible. He had found this place a year ago and everyday during lunch he would come to rest. Even this year, Jin found that the place was still as nice and quiet as it had been last year so he decided to stay.

Jin walked up the bleachers and found a nice spot that was shaded by a big tree. He set his backpack on the floor and laid down. After finding a comfortable position, he closed his eyes.

 

 

 

“Alright, time to put away the equipment!” The coach shouted.

Jin opened his eyes and sat up. Everyday the coach would remind the players a few minutes before lunch ended to put away all the equipment. It was convenient for Jin too because it was the exact amount of time Jin needed to get back to class.

After hearing the coach, Jin grabbed his backpack and began to walk down the bleachers, off the field, and to his next class.