002. Leaving

Mute Characters

002.

Taehyung took a deep breath and entered the shop, seeing Jungkook sitting on the back counter, laughing with a very tall and broad and handsome looks male. The male picked up a cup and brought it to Jungkook’s lips, tipping it so he could take a sip and Taehyung feels a heavy feeling in his gut. He stands there, stock still as he watched the scene play out. There was whipped cream on the top of Jungkook’s lip and Taehyung wishes he was the one to cheesily run his thumb over it to wipe it off, but instead it was the guy that stood in between Jungkook’s legs.

Jungkook rolled his eyes and picks up his notebook, writing something down on it. He gives it to the man to read and the man looks back up at Jungkook and kisses his nose. Taehyung bites his lip and lets the door close behind him, the bell finally making its noise, telling the occupants of the store to look over at him suddenly.

“Ah, hello!!” the man greets. Taehyung nods and bows, walking toward the counter. Jungkook jumps up, his face flustered red, and motions for Taehyung to come to the back table. Taehyung’s gaze lingers on the man as he cleans up the mess that was made. Jungkook’s stuff is sitting in the chair across from Taehyung and he moves it, sitting down. He grabs his notebook and opens it, writing something down and giving it to Taehyung.

‘Okay, I already did the homework for tonight so you can copy it if you’d like since it’s the same thing I tutored you on on Monday.’ Taehyung skeptically looks at Jungkook because he never tells Taehyung he can just copy his homework. In the three months he’s tutored Taehyung, he has never once told him that he can just copy the work because he already went over it. He’s always making Taehyung do it anyways even if it’s just simple math problems like 2+2 or 16-17, but Taehyung didn’t put up a fight, not wanting to be around the older guy any longer than needed, so he nods and Jungkook gives him his paper and Taehyung spends the next half hour copying the problems.

He didn’t realize that that was the first time that Jungkook forgot to give him a drawing.

--

Since then, every time Taehyung came to get tutored, the man is there and Jungkook lets him copy his work. Luckily, Jimin helps him with the stuff he doesn’t understand after that, Jungkook having gotten lazy with helping him. Jimin tells him to just stop meeting with Jungkook and start getting tutored by him, but Taehyung still wants to see and hang out with Jungkook and if watching him smile and “laugh” with the annoyingly handsome and tall man behind the counter is as close as seeing and “hanging out” with him as he’s gonna get, he’ll take it.

Soon Taehyung only comes by to copy the work and go home to get properly tutored by Jimin. He sighs every time he sees the note from Jungkook, telling him to just copy the work.

--

He finally notices that Jungkook has stopped giving him the drawings of the Chinese characters and that’s when he draws the line. He shakily takes out his phone and types out his message.

--

From: Tae :]

You seem to have stopped wanting to tutor me, so I’m going to politely stop showing up. Thank you for your help thus far, but now I’m going to be tutored by my best friend. He seems to actually want to tutor me and I understand that you don’t want to anymore. You’ve helped me a lot and I and so thankful.

P.S. You look really cute with that guy from the café^^

Jungkook stands still from his pacing in the café. Taehyung is never late so when he didn’t show by 3:20 like usual, he got worried and paced around. He feels a heavy and unwanted feeling his gut as he reads the message. He types out a quick reply and packs his things, bidding a goodbye to Seokjin, the man that he’s been hanging out with, and rushes home.

He doesn’t know why he’s heart broken, but he is and he spends the rest of the night in his room drawing.

--

Taehyung is caught off guard when a bunch of folded notes fall to his feet out of his locker on a faithful December 16th. He bends and picks them up, unfolding them carefully and looking over them. There are seven of them and they are all Chinese characters.

悲傷

有罪

擔心

混淆

不用說

自慚形穢

Taehyung stared dumbly at them and then folded them, needing to get to class. He stuffed them in his bag quickly, careful to not crush them as he put his books in the bag.

--

Jungkook wasn’t in chemistry, which is odd due to the fact that he never misses his classes (having won perfect attendance every year since his 6th grade year). Taehyung sat impatiently in his seat and stared at the door, wanting desperately to see Jungkook with a note saying that he was allowed to be late and have him sit next to him, but it never happened.

--

When Taehyung got home, he pulled out the drawings that he’s gotten from Jungkook over the course of four months which comes to a total of 38 notes. They were all dated. Every single one of them had a date in the bottom left corner and then Jungkook’s signature in the bottom right corner. The odd thing, he notices, was the ones he had gotten that day all had different dates, so he pulled up his calendar and found that they were the ones of the days that he and Jungkook had tutoring days, but Jungkook was too busy with Mr. Handsome-Face to properly tutor him. He then decided to check the dates of the other ones he got and, as suspected, they were the dates that they met up to tutor, August 10th, a week after the first day.

--

Ever since then, he doesn’t get any drawings anymore and Jungkook isn’t seen at school anymore. Soon the teachers announce that he had moved to a special school in Busan, exactly 325 km away from Seoul. Away from Taehyung. He sighs deeply and gives up on his hopes for seeing him again because what’s the chance that Jungkook will suddenly pop back in Seoul just to see him.

A/N: Two more pages and another stopping point. Also and update in the same day because I’m doing the laundry so I have like twenty minute intervals to write and I’m a some-what fast typer. Anywho, here. Sorry it’s so short, but I didn’t want to switch P.O.V. to Jungkook in the same chapter (though technically I did that when he got the text but whatevers).