1

Five Years Later

The date was the twenty second. It was a sunny Tuesday afternoon in June. Hyuna had decided to go to a café after a morning in the gym. She'd asked some of her friends if they wanted to come, but they were busy, and some weren't even in the country. But Hyuna was used to being alone. Kyungri had told her that she was worried about her and told her to go out more often instead of sitting inside watching documentaries by herself.

The café was rather quiet. There were a few couples sat together and one person sat alone in the corner. Hyuna ordered a coffee and sat down at one of the tables, enjoying the enviroment. Hyuna found herself watching the woman sat alone in the corner. She seemed familiar, but Hyuna couldn't quite see her face because the woman was looking down at a notepad. Hyuna sipped her coffee, staring intently at the woman, trying to figure out who she was. Suddenly, the woman looked up from her notes and Hyuna realised who she was. She felt a painful stab in her chest. It was Sera. Sera, her old best friend. Sera, her former group member. Sera, her former leader. Sera, her former love. Hyuna looked down and took out her phone, opening a group chat with the members of Nine Muses. She sent a picture of maple syrup. This was a secret code for a sighting of Sera. Instantly, all the members replied.

"?? WHERE." - Minha

"RUN FOR THE HILLS MOON" - Hyemi

"I don't understand why you all do this whenever someone sees her" - Keumjo

"don't talk to her." - Euaerin

"you just woke me up what's happening" - Sungah

"Pretend you can't see her" - Kyungri

"Crawl away, unnie" - Sojin

Hyuna looked up. She noticed Sera was looking at her.

"I've been spotted." - Hyuna

Her phone buzzed several times, but she couldn't reply because the tiny Canadian was approaching her.

"Hyuna, is that you?"

"Yep. It's me." Hyuna said, not daring to look up.

"Do you mind if I sit here?" Sera asked.

"I don't mind at all." Hyuna said, glancing up as Sera sat down opposite her.

"It's been a while, hasn't it? How have you been?" Sera asked with a friendly smile.

"I've been good." Hyuna replied. "Busy, but good. You?"

"I've been okay. Things have been difficult, but I think I'm finally fitting in with my new agency." Sera said. "How are the girls doing?"

"They're doing great." Hyuna said. "I've not seen some of them in a while since we're not promoting right now."

Hyuna's phone began to ring. She looked to see who it was. It was a group call from the members.

"You can answer it, I don't mind. I'll wait." Sera said. "I'll just look at my notes for a song I'm trying to write."

Hyuna sighed reluctantly and accepted the call.

"HYUNA WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU IDIOT WHY ARE YOU NOT REPLY TO US----"

Hyuna hung up before she went fully deaf.

"What was that?" Sera asked, frowning.

"The members are being stupid." Hyuna said.

"Was that them? I thought I recognised Euaerin's voice." Sera said. "She sounded angry."

"I don't know what she was angry about." Hyuna quickly muted her phone when she felt it buzz against her leg.

"...Could you call them back and let me talk to them?" Sera asked quietly.

"Well, if that's what you want, then okay." Hyuna said, then she sent a quick message to the members.

"Sera wants to talk to you all." - Hyuna.

Hyuna pressed call and handed the phone to Sera quickly. Sera's face lit up when she heard the members' voices and she gestured for Hyuna to sit next to her so she could talk too. Hyuna got up slowly and went to sit next to Sera. Instantly, she felt that same comforting warmth from all those years ago. Sera pulled Hyuna closer and put the phone on speaker.

They spoke to the members for almost an hour before Hyuna's phone died.

"Hyuna, can we meet up again tomorrow?" Sera asked as they both finished their drinks. "I really missed talking to you."

"Sure, where do you want to meet up?" Hyuna asked, smiling.

"Hm... You could come to my house. We can watch movies and talk." Sera suggested.

"Okay, sounds good. Just text me your address tomorrow and what time you want me to come over." Hyuna said.

They both got up, left the café, said goodbye and went in opposite directions.

 

The date was the twenty third. It was a dull evening when Hyuna recieved a text from Sera telling her to come over. Hyuna got in her car and arrived at Sera's house ten minutes later. She hadn't told the members she was meeting up with Sera. She knocked on the door and Sera answered, letting her in.

"Hi Hyuna. I'm sorry about the mess. I have a few movies, you can pick which one you want to watch." Sera said, pointing to some DVDs on the table. "I'll just finish preparing the food."

Hyuna looked over the DVDs. She saw one with cats on it and put it in the DVD player. Sera returned a few minutes later with some snacks and they sat together on the couch, watching the movie. They sat in silence all through the movie, eating the snacks Sera had prepared.

"So, what should we talk about?" Hyuna asked once it had ended.

"Hm... Let's talk about you." Sera said, smiling.

Hyuna ended up telling Sera a lot of things. And eventually when Sera brought some alcohol for them, Hyuna became a lot more open.

"And.. I.. I like girls." Hyuna said suddenly after a long paragraph.

"You like girls? Do you have a crush on someone?" Sera asked, looking up at the older girl with a tipsy smile.

"Yeah.. Yeah I do.. She's pretty and.. Small." Hyuna grinned, then suddenly leaned closer to Sera and kissed her.

"Hyuna..." Sera gasped, then she smiled and hugged the older girl tightly, kissing her lips several times.

They ended up going to bed together that night because Hyuna was very drunk and Sera didn't want her to go.

"Do you know Hyuna, it's been five years since we were this close." Sera whispered. "It's been five years since I last saw you."

Hyuna suddenly realised the date. The twenty third of June was when Sera left Nine Muses.

 

Hyuna woke up the next morning to the sound of her phone buzzing against her head. She picked it up.

"WHAT THE HELL IS THIS PICTURE HYUNA" - Euaerin

Hyuna opened her twitter account up quickly and almost had a heart attack. In her drunk state, she had posted a picture of her and Sera in bed together. She knew she was going to be in a lot of trouble when she left Sera's house.