Secret Work

Lending Affairs - Jay

Time quickly ticked by as the door handle jiggled a little before your head lifted to see Jay shuffle through the door.

“Hey Sweetheart” He shot a knee buckling smile your way.

“Hey cutie, did you have a good day today?” You questioned, sitting more upright on the couch so he could have a place to sit.

“It wasn’t too bad, we just recorded some songs for the new album is all” He says sitting down next to you, lifting your legs over his lap, he smiled and rested his hand on your legs, allowing his fingers to slowly move over your smooth skin. “Did you have a good day today? Do anything fun?”

Hearing his question, you slightly froze, thinking back to your father’s visit then his stance on you working, you gently shook your head as you couldn’t bring yourself to open your mouth.

“Did you want to do anything fun tonight?” He asked changing the subject since you fell silent.

“Like?” You probed lifting your head as you saw that all-so-familiar twinkling in his eye. 

“I don’t know, maybe we could play your favorite game or I could beat you in video game or two, since I won last time” Jay smiled as he tapped his fingers across your shin.

“Yah!” You pushed his shoulder as hard as you could, “You didn’t win! I won fair and square two out of three times!”

“Well then, maybe I won’t go easy this time on you” Jay bet with a smile while his brown eyes gazed over at you.

“You better not” You leaned over and pulled out two controllers from the drawers of the coffee table. 

Handing him a controller, he the game from afar as you leaned your head on his shoulder, his arm wrapped around you as the two of you played a few rounds of your favorite games.

“Let me just update my guy” Jay clicked on a few buttons as he went to upgrade his character.

“Why? Do you really think that will help you beat me?” You questioned with a yawn spilling from your lips, “I already won all of the games that you have thrown at me.” You reasoned while your eyes started to droop with sleep.

“Then you should have nothing to worry about it” He smiles and pressed a soft kiss on your temple.

While he was upgrading his character, you soon found yourself asleep in his arms, your head lulled onto his chest as he looked down to find you fast asleep.

“I guess we will have to wait on the rematch” He whispered softly, turning off the game console, he carefully slipped the controller from your hand and slipped them back in their drawer before lifting you up into his arms and carrying you off to bed.

The bright sunlight hit your eyes the next morning, slowly waking you as the bed gently shifted to Jay slipping off the mattress to head off to do his morning routine. Fluttering your eyes closed once more, you fell back to sleep as his warm lips gently pressed against your forehead then your cheek and the last one was carefully place on the corner of your lips.

“I love you sweetie, have a good day today I will be home later” He whispered in his crackly morning voice that was slightly deeper than his voice once it was warmed up.

“I love you” You mumbled half asleep, hearing him chuckle gently, he brushes some hair behind your ear and pressed another kiss against your skin.

“I love you too, my love”

With that you heard him shuffle across the floor, open the door and slowly close it behind him so you could sleep longer. The song of the front door chimed once he left the apartment, sleeping for a little longer, you eventually sat up and checked on the local online job board.

Clicking on a local store in need of temporary help, you worked quickly, calling the owner and asked if you could come in and help, holding an over the phone interview, they invited you to the store for the rest of the day. Jumping out of bed, you quickly showered and changed into black jeans and a pastel polo that was classy yet casual. Pulling your hair up into a cute high pony tail, you tied it off and headed out the door with your phone in your back pocket and your keys jingling in your hand.

In minutes you were standing in front of the mom and pop store, pushing open the glass door a bell hit the glass and alerted the workers that there was a costumer. An elderly man smiled and trotted over to you, welcoming you with a smile.

“Are you Miss _____?” He asked with hope glimmering in his tired, blood shot eyes.

“I am” You nodded and bowed to him with respect as he called out his wife, meeting her, the three of you walked around the store and got you used to the surroundings. 

Once you got the full tour and accepted the job, you filled out a few forms before they handed you a white apron and had you working on stocking shelves. Matching the products to the ones on the shelves, you pulled the older products forward and stashed the newer ones behind and moved to the next product.

The hours ticked on, once you were finished stocking you were cleaning floors and windows making the place all clean and beautiful. At the end of your shift the elderly couple walked up to you and handed you your daily salary and thanked you for all of your help. Promising that you will come back tomorrow, you bowed to them and thanked them before walking out of their store and heading back home.

Checking your phone, you smiled seeing that you got out of work a little earlier than Jay you sighed out of relief that you could actually get away with holding a job against Jay’s wishes.

A short walk later, you pulled out your key and slipped it into your apartment and stepped inside, slipping off your shoes, the cool air in your apartment hit your warm complexion as you relaxed almost instantly. Closing the door behind you, your tired feet shuffled across the floor as you sat on the couch, playing with your phone a moment or two, you laid down and closed your eyes allowing your body to relax and eventually fall asleep.

The moon hung high in the sky when Jay finally pulled into the parking spaces in front of the apartment complex. Grabbing his things, he glanced at the digital numbers on the dash of his car, hissing under his breath at the late hour, he got out of his car and headed inside to you.

Twisting the handle open, he pushed the front door just enough so he could slip inside. Placing his dancing clothes on the floor, he kicked off his shoes and hung his jacket up. His eyes looked around the apartment and saw the lights beside the couch.

“Jagiya?” He called out to you seeing if you were awake, once he rounded the couch, his eyes fell on your sleeping figure, your head gently resting on a pillow as your hand loosely held your phone that blinked with all of the messages from Jay informing you that he would be late.

“Did you stay up for me, love?” Jay whispered kneeling down next to you, the tips of his fingers pushed some stray hands behind your ear. A soft hum spilled from your lips, leaning in and kissing your cheek, he carefully slipped his arms under you and lifted you up against his chest.

Carrying you with care to the bedroom, he made sure you were comfortable before he changed then slipped into next to you. Hugging you tightly against his chest, he placed a few kisses on your head before he too joined you in sleep.

The next few days were all the same, wake up, eat, work, fall asleep to find yourself cuddling your husband the next morning in your bed. You weren’t complaining at your new schedule, just with each passing day you felt yourself becoming weaker, the side effects from your condition were starting to take their toll on you.

You had thought about quitting your job but with your father hanging over your head and the consequences that he could potentially have on your husband’s career, you couldn’t take the chance. 

At work Jay couldn’t keep his mind off of you, finding it a little odd that he has found you asleep on the couch every single night he came home. After a while he came to the conclusion that you were just having a lot of symptoms from your condition lately. Pulling out his phone, he messaged you to see what you were doing and if you were feeling okay. 

Looking over his sheet music, his eyes followed the notes for a bit before his mind turned back to you. Standing up, he set the sheet music on the coffee table before he moseyed over to the window and looking up at the sky wondering what you were doing.

“Jay?” His manager knocked on the door once he opened the door, Jay turned around and faced his manager. “I have a message for you”

Jay watched his manager approach him with a note between his fingers as he held it out for Jay to take.

“What is this about?” Jay questioned, taking the note from his manager’s hand. His manager stayed silent while Jay looked over the message that he had just received.

“You can take the rest of the day off, just make sure to text me how she is doing” The manager stepped aside as Jay could hardly believe his eyes.

“What h-hospital is s-she in?” Jay looked up as he folded the note carefully and slipped it into his pocket.

“The one closest to your home” The manager informed him

“I’ll message you later then, thank you manager-nim” Jay bowed to him respectfully before he rushed out of the room, grabbing his jacket on the way out.

Running out of the building, he unlocked his car and slipped behind the wheel, turning on the car and revving the engine he raced off to the hospital wishing and praying that you are okay. Pulling into an empty spot in the hospital’s parking lot, he jumped out of his car and ran through the automatic doors.

“Could you help me find my wife, Park _______?” Jay trotted up to the nurses station while the heavy beating of his heart thumped in his ears.

“She is in room C245″ The nurse replied after some typing on her computer.

“Thank you” He bowed to the nurses before trotting to a map to see what floor you are on. Dragging his finger along the map, he found your room and quickly made his way to an elevator. Pressing on the button of the floor you were on, he bounced on his toes as worry grew within.

The ding of the elevator alerted him of the arrival of his floor, stepping out onto the floor, he looked up and down the long hallways as he decided to turn and head right. Watching the numbers on the doors pass him, he took a deep breath as he got closer to your door number.

240… 241… 242… 243… 244…

Standing in front of your door, he dropped his head letting his hand grasp the stainless steel door handle. Time seemed to stop as he tried to brace himself for the worse, knowing what your condition could have in store for you, he blinked away tears and slowly turned the handle.

Sun rays spilled into your room through the slats of the blinds, casting the light on your bed, he slowly entered and quietly turned the handle letting the door close quietly. Beeps filled the silent still air in the room, his eyes slowly took in the simple room that you were staying in, monitors buzzed and beeped around your body laying motionless on the bed.

 

Padding across the tile floor, he moseyed over to the edge of your bed, taking in the condition of your body, he leaned down and carefully pulled the blanket up on you a little more. Not being able to find the words to greet you, he eased himself down in the chair next to your bed.

“______?” He whispered your name sweetly wondering if you were awake or asleep, with no answer from you, he figured you were sleeping.

Leaning up, he pressed his lips against your cheek as he carefully looked over your face, brushing the backs of his fingers across your cheek, a small sad smile pulled on his lips. 

“I’ll stay here until you wake up, take your time and heal” He whispers before pulling away, carefully slipping his hand into yours, he pet your hair for a little bit before he sat back in his chair.

The hours ticked away as he began to fall asleep in the chair, the machines lulling him to sleep before the door opened and shoes squeaked against the clean tile below. Jay’s eyes opened slowly to a man standing over you with his white lab coat and a nurse at his side.

“H-How is she?” Jay sat on the edge of his chair, his thumb brushing over your fingers slowly.

“Mr. Park, she is doing much better than earlier but we would like to keep her here for a little longer if we could.” The doctor stepped over towards him as Jay stood up, carefully placing your hand back by your side while the nurse wrote down your vitals.

“Do you know what caused this?” He probed while worry filled his eyes.

“We read about her condition and she seemed to have overexerted herself over a long period of time so her body shut down” The doctor explained as Jay nodded knowing that this could happen one day.

“Is there anything I can do to help her?” Jay asked his final question as the doctor patted his shoulder.

“There’s nothing at the moment but I am sure when she wakes up she would love to see you” The doctor smiles before turning back and heading towards the door.

Jay watched as they exited the room before he sat back in his seat and took your hand back into his. A little while later, he felt your hand gently wrap around his, he lifted his eyes to your face watching you closely as your eyes fluttered open.

Your husband welcomed you back with a smile as your eyes slowly looked around his face and squeezed his hand a little tighter.

“I’m not going anywhere” He whispered gently to you as his other hand cupped your cheek gently, nodding subtly you let your eyes close before letting some tears roll down your cheek.

Jay’s soft touch brushed them away as he brought you some water, helping you drink it, he placed the empty cup aside.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to” You whimpered letting a few more tears roll down your cheeks.

“It’s okay love, we just have to be more careful” Jay gave you a little smile reassuring you that he would help you.

“Y-You don’t understand” You quietly confessed, drawing your eyes upwards your eyes met with his. “My father came by earlier this week…”

“What did he want?” Jay took in a breath as you watched his muscles tense under his shirt.

“He wanted money, like usual” You sunk deeper into your bed, your teeth found your bottom lip and bit on it slightly out of worry.

“How much this time?” Jay watched you as your eyes dropped to your other hand playing with the blanket laying over you.

“A thousand dollars” You whispered, “I have almost three quarters of it though”

Hearing the last part, his heart dropped letting his head fall slightly forward. Thinking over the situation, he carefully phrased what he wanted to say next, eying him you tried to read his mind as to what he was thinking.

“You thought that you would just get this money on your own?” His question was simple and his tone was calm which pushed you off guard.

“I-I did… you work so hard for your money, I couldn’t ask you to pay for my father” You close your eyes letting a few more tears fall from your eyes.

“Can you not come and talk to me with those things?” Jay’s voice was so soft and sweet.

“I couldn’t let you know because I know you would tell me not to pay him, but I had to pay him. He was going to ruin your career forever and put you behind bars with a scandal” You spilled everything while your hand reached out and rested your hand on his arm. “I couldn’t let him do that to you.”

“I have the money you know, I will give you all the money you need, just ask. I would do anything for you.” His hand held yours, pleasantly surprised at how well he was handling this. “I think your father has done this long enough though, he can’t keep abusing you like this.”

“W-What are you thinking?” You questioned unsure of where he was going with this.

“I was going to turn him into the authorities so he doesn’t come to you anymore, putting you in pressured situations and endangering your health” Jay laid his plan out as your eyes adverted from him. “Is that okay with you? I know he is your father and all.”

“I know, let me think on it, but we will give him the money that I earned” You carefully pushed yourself up and grabbed the small sack of money as you placed it on Jay’s lap.

“I’ll give him the money, but this money you earned. You keep it, I will give him some of mine instead. Don’t you worry I will take care of it, you just need to rest and get better.” Jay pressed a soft, love filled kiss onto your lips as you kissed him back with the little strength you had.

“Thank you Jay, I promise I won’t go for another job” You whispered against his lips.

“Why don’t we find you a job you can do at home, something that you can do and something you enjoy, then we both can be happy” Jay pressed a kiss on the tip of your nose as you brighten and smile widely.

“Really?!” You hold his hand tightly in excitement

“Really~” He smiled and nodded his head, feeling happiness grow inside of him seeing you happy too.

“Thank you, thank you so much” You wrapped your arms around him and brought him closer to you, his arms wrapped around you as he kissed your cheek and your neck gently before he nuzzled his head into your neck.

“I’m sorry I protected you too much, I just didn’t want you t-” Jay started as you hugged him tighter.

“I know sweetie” You whispered not wanting him to say the five letter word that started with a d.

Holding each other for a while, Jay made a call or two before he had the money delivered to your father. A day or so later, you were back home safe and sound, the two of you looked through jobs that you could do while Jay took some time off to help you recover making compromises so the both of you could be happy.