Chapter 2

Winning a royal hand

It was an especially hot morning, and the pool looked inviting. Jaebum stretched on a poolside recliner , savoring the few days off that he had managed to scrape together in the middle of an incredibly eventful year. He had considered calling up one of his girls, but chose to forego it for a lazy day alone. He felt half-asleep, happily touched by sunlight that lit up his exhausted body. 

There was some kind of intermittent breeze, but it didn't bother him. Hell, it felt kinda good. 

"Hey, you."

He opened his eyes to see a woman wave at him. She lived in the same apartment complex, possibly some kind of heiress. They had hooked up a couple of times, and she was good at it. But he didn't see the point of an extended acquiatanceship. So he gave her a lukewarm nod and closed his eyes again. 

His repose, however, seemed destined for interruption, though this time he opened his eyes to a far more pleasant sight. She was an olive skinned woman, who walked along the edge of the pool, draped in a pale white dress that outlined none of her body. Her face was partially shielded by a mass of black hair which cascaded down to her waist. But the reason he had awakened to see her form was the light tinkle that was heard with every step she walked. He guessed that she wore some sort of anklet. 

It was only when she had passed him to reach a little bench by the pool that he noticed the bodyguards. Four men and women, heavily suited and quite obviously armed, flanked her as she sat and read. They effectively repelled anyone interested in contacting her, but she didn't seem perturbed by it. Her eyes were completely absorbed by the pages between her palms. 

Jae was aware that he was staring. In the seated position, she looked something like a Persian sculpture. The light infused the pale cotton of her dress and the deep honey of her skin. She had almond shaped eyes, and her lips were dry and a tad bloodless. The wealth of hair framed her face and shoulder in otherworldly contours. She was beautiful. 

Jae lowered his eyes, but took to musing about a new curiosity.

 

...

 

"Hey, Benson." He winked at the concierge who had been pattering around at his enormous desk in the chrome lobby. 

"Mr. Park!" The thirty-something man straightened and flashed an amiable smile. Park was one of the more affable residents of the building, and often tipped him generously. 

"How's it going, man?" Jae extended a hand, which Benson shook somewhat hesitantly. Camaraderie between resident and service-provider was not looked upon favorably. 

"Quite well, Sir. Is everything alright? May I help you with something?"

"Actually..." Jae leaned in. "There's a little something I'd appreciate information about."

"Information, Sir?"

"Yea. Who's the woman that walks around with four bodyguards? You know who I'm talking about. Brown and gorgeous."

Benson's face darkened. "I'm afraid I'm not allowed to divulge information about our residents, Sir."

"C'mon. I'm not gonna stalk her. I'm just curious here." He dug into his wallet to peel out a 100-dollar bill."How about I sweeten the deal?" 

"I'm very sorry, Sir. This is a rule I cannot breach." Benson looked a little ashamed. 

Jae sighed. "I get it, man. No worries." He put the money back in and was about to walk away when Benson cleared his throat suggestively. 

"Google the name 'Afana Nusrat Salima'."

Jae stared at him quizzically but didn't ask any questions. He merely nodded in gratitude, slipped him the money and walked off. 

"Afana Nusrat Salima". He struggled to roll the words off his tongue. Extraordinary name.