Chapter 1

Winning a royal hand

Jaebeom Park woke to the strains of a heartbreaking song wafting through the windows of his Seattle apartment. He tried to blink away some of the sleep, rubbing his eyes to confirm that he was not dreaming, and that the cold winds were, indeed, suddenly moistened by the heavy, plump gobulets of sound clinging to them. He sat up, now realising that it was the call of strings, perhaps a violin or a cello. 

Risking the icy temperatures of late Seattle winter, he slid out of the sheets - careful to not wake his companion for the night - and walked to the balcony. He grabbed a heavy jacket on the way to confront the sudden blast of cold that assaulted his skin. 

The music was more audible now, rising and falling like a melodious plea that clung to the air with a certain measure of desperation. Though half-asleep, Jae felt the sheaths of sound begin to at his heart, threatening a sudden heaviness within him. Whoever played this was inexorably, irreversibly, almost religiously miserable. 

He squinted, having spotted something in the only other balcony that was in his eyeline.  The music emerged from a silhouette that crouched there, slightly rocking, deftly untouched by the light was invaded his space. 

The black figure played and played, releasing shivers of sadness into the night. Then it stopped, and he saw it recede into the walls. 

"Went inside, huh?" He murmured to himself. 

The goosebumps of his legs woke him tot he fact that he was freezing. He gasped slightly, having stood there for over an hour. 

"Who the heck was that ?" He wondered, scratching his head and heading inside.