The Next Day

New Home

Normally, Bom would be woken up by the alarm of her phone. But instead of an alarm, she could hear her bell house ringing for a few times. She snuggled onto her bed to ignore the bells, but it didn’t stop, so she raised from her bed and yawned. When she saw the clock, she was a bit shocked. She clearly forgotten to make an alarm on her phone yesterday, and she thanked god that she didn’t woke up late for her work. But she was confused of someone who woke her up, so she walked to the door, ‘Perhaps it’s Dara? But why did she woke me up early in the morning...’

“I’m coming!”

She opened the lock of her door house and peeked, opened them fully and looked at the guest.

He was tall, a bit taller than Seunghyun, and their hairstyle almost the same- but this guy wore a sunglasses. She looked confused, but then the guy took off her sunglasses and stared at her- smiled.

“Hello there, good morning. Are you the new resident?”

Bom nodded silently.

“I’m sorry for waking you up,” he looked at Bom who was still wearing her pajama, “But I guess you didn’t know the rules of the apartment. You see, new residents need to tell their arrival to me,” he scratched the back of his head, “It might be weird, but that’s the rules the landlord told us.”

She blinked as she understand her situation, “Oh, I’m sorry, I don’t know. So, this apartment building is using a dorm system?”

“More likely.”

Then silence.

“Ah, goodness. I’m such an idiot. I haven’t introduced myself, the doc would be mad at me,” he offered his hand, “My name is Choi Dongwook. Call me Dongwook.”

Bom shook his hand, “Ah, my name is Park Bom. Call me Bom,” she frowned, “The doc?”

Dongwook pointed at the house besides her, “You know, the doctor living besides you.”

“Aah,” she nodded again, “Yes, I know him. Are you two brothers?”

“Excuse me?”

“You two are Choi...”

He laughed, “Ah, no, not exactly. His mother is my aunt.”

She nodded again.

“Ah, well, it’s Monday, and I guess you need to go to work soon. So,” he pulled a name card from his pocket, “This is my number. Please text me and let me know that it’s you, so I’ll text you anything that I need to know. I’m a bit busy, so, I’ll be going first,” he gave his card and bowed, “Good morning, Bom-ssi.”

“Good morning, Dongwook-ssi,” she bowed too after she took his card. But then, Dongwook waved his hand and she chuckled before waved her hand to him.

‘So, I don’t know if I succesfully make him my friend,’ she sighed while rubbing her forehead, ‘But checked anyway.’

She checked the name car he gave and it was a bit interesting. He run some business relating to lands and shops. Perhaps she need to tell him her arrival or anything he need because he was like a manager of this apartment. Then, he said something about Seunghyun that would be mad at him. Is he that scary?

She shook her head, ‘Ah. Let’s think about that later. Now I need to clean myself, and get ready for work!’ she thought. She closed the door and quickly ran to the bathroom.

-/-

She wore her peach long sleeves shirt and a grey knee-length skirt, also grey flat shoes on her foot. Teaching elementary students is her favorite, and eventhough this is her first time in this international school, she didn’t felt nervous. Being in an international school doesn’t mean like there won’t be any naughty kids that would annoy her and tries to get her attention, but it doesn’t scare her. It would be a great challenge, and perhaps she could meet many foreign students. It would be such a thrilling experience!

She was in charge of class A. And as she guessed, most of the students are foreigners. She was scared that the students would dislike her, but thankfully, they really like her. They were fascinated at her red hair and some of the girls told her that she really looks like a doll (and she was so flustered about it).The naughty kids are naughty, but they still want to listen to her because she promised that she would give them candies if they want to be a good student. She was happy, but there’s one thing that attracted her in this class.

It was a young boy, sitting at the back of the class and near the window. He didn’t looked happy as the other kids, and he was spending his time in the class alone. Normally, kids on his age would join their friends when studying, but he wasn’t. He was quiet and focused on the lessons, but when lunch time came, he ate alone on his desk and mostly spent his time looking at the scenery from the window. Some of the naughty students would pick on him and sometimes mocked him, but he didn’t respond anything. He just sat, study, eat, study again, and then went home.

And his appearance. His face was asian, but his hair was white.

She wanted to speak to the young boy, but he went home quickly with someone in black on a motorcycle, ‘I’ll try to talk with the young boy later. I need to go home before it’s late.’

She walked to the front gate of the school, but sadly, she felt something hit her shoulders. She looked, and it made her clothes colored darker- it was rain drops.

“Oh, for god’s sake,” she checked her bag to find her umbrella, but she found nothing, “Why did I forgot to bring an umbrella?” she lightly ran back to the school building and took a shelter, ‘This is bad. The sky is clear, so the rain would take time much longer than usual,’ she bit her lip, ‘I’m okay with this, but I don’t know if there are any taxi at night here...’

“Is that you, Bom-ssi?”

She turned to see her neighbor stood just right beside her, holding an umbrella in his hand. She blinked for awhile, ‘Why does a doctor go to school?’

“Ah, yes. And you must be Seunghyun-ssi,” she said, “Um, what are you doing here at this school?”

Seunghyun scratched the back of his head, “Ah, I have some appointment here. I need to check a few things,” he stared at her, “And guessing by the clothes you’re wearing, you might be teaching here.”

She smiled, “Ah, I just started today. Since I moved from another area, I need to move from the school I used to teach...”

He nodded, and she nodded too.

‘This is awkward.’

He stared at the rain, “I guess it would stop later at night.”

“Yeah...”

“Do you ride a car, Bom-ssi?” he asked.

She shook her head, “No. I go here by bus.”

“Ah, then, do you want to go home with me?”

She looked at him, “Eh?”

“My car parked right there,” he pointed, “I have an umbrella so we won’t get soaked, and it best for us to go home early,” Seunghyun reasoned.

Bom stared at him, and he stared back. She flinched.

“Do you?”

She didn’t know what to say to him. But the rain became heavier, and she quickly nodded, “I do.”

Seunghyun smiled, “That’s good to hear.”

Both of them walked fast to the car, sheltered by his umbrella. He let Bom went in first as he sheltered her, and he went in quickly as he put the umbrella on the back seat.  Both of them were silent on their way home, and she had to admit that she stared at him for quite some times now, ‘He’s not that scary though,’ she thought. She was hesitated to ask him something, but she asked anyway, “Um, can I call you Seunghyun?”

He stared at her for awhile before answered, “Yes you can. But I don’t know what to call you...”

“Oh, you can call me by my name only... Hm, when you were born?”

“On 1987.”

“Ah! I was born on 1984,” she chuckled, “You can call me noona or something. It’s fine,” she smiled.

He chuckled, “Okay then, noona.”

Silence again.

“We’ve arrived already, noona,” he said while parking the car. The rain wasn’t as heavier as before, and she quickly got out from the car. Both of them quickly ran to the stairs and walked to their apartments. Bom turned to Seunghyun and bowed, “Thank you for the ride, Seunghyun...”

He smiled again and waved his hand, “Ah, it’s nothing. We’re neighbors, and we’re friends, right?”

She stared at him, then chuckled, “Yes, yes we are.”

“See you later, Bom-noona.”

And he went to his home.

She smiled, ‘Friends, huh? I guess that one checked as well.’