1. A Study in Pink (Case part 1)

Cops and Detectives

A/N: So I kinda based this off on A Study in Pink/Scarlet of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (bec I love all of the books and the TV series (BBC) <3 <3). Anyway, all of the names in this are purely fictional, they only exist inside my head (wait that sounded so wrong, anw). BEWARE FOR MY (SLIGHTLY FAILED) ATTEMPT AT CRIME INVESTIGATION.


Seoul Times | July 29, 2015

Chain of Suicides Plague Seoul by Park Min Chan


Another reported case of alleged suicide had occurred in the streets of Seoul near Deongdaemun last evening. The victim, named Im Wooyoung, was found dead at a park bench. The police identified the body as Mr. Im's and had been estimated to be dead for almost 5 hours before discovery. The cause of death is reported to be ingestion of cyanide, a chemical known for its capability to quickly kill a person only minutes after its ingestion. According to autopsy reports there had been no traces of struggle found in the body and no other traces of poison in the victim’s body.
The victim's family said that Mr. Im had no reason whatsoever to commit a suicide. The police believe that this case is linked to different cases of suicide occurring in Seoul this past month. There had already been 4 reported suicides with the same cause of death and are often found in unsuspecting areas. So far, there had been no evidence linking all the victims except the cause of death.
"We believe that these cases are somehow connected one way or another." Head superintendent Jeon Jungkook stated earlier in a press statement by Seoul police. The police also advise everyone to go out only when necessary. However, one question still remains can we truly save ourselves from a chain of suicide, where our main enemy is most probably ourselves?


Jungkook rubbed his eyes tiredly, shifting his gaze away from the bright screen of his laptop. He took a sip of his now cold coffee and winced, sighing heavily as he closed his eyes to rest. The headquarters had been nothing but a loud bustle of officers going from cubicle to cubicle, all are overwhelmed by this mysterious case. Almost every officer had been put into the current case of chain of suicide, including himself, and no one had any lead at all. Jimin practically forced him into a break because he looked like he was ready to plummet to the ground (Jimin's words not his).

So here he is, in a relatively empty cafe with his laptop in front of him, analyzing all the data of the recent suicide case. Even thinking about it makes his head throb due to over exhaustion. ‘Chain of ing suicides, suicides’, he thought dryly.

He was ready to get some well-deserved nap when he heard a loud scrape of the chair in front of him. He opened his eyes tiredly to see who it was only to be greeted by that annoying smile he did not want to see right now (or maybe even ever).
"What the do you want?" he muttered lowly as he straightened himself to glare at the man in front of him.

“Hey I just saw you all alone, looking tired out of your wits. Can’t I greet a friend now?” Taehyung said charmingly (not that Jungkook was charmed whatsoever) and smiled his signature box smile.

“We’re not friends Taehyung, and I don’t want to talk to you right now. Go away.” He muttered lowly as he pinched the bridge of his nose to remove the annoying traces of migraine. His head was throbbing so hard he thinks it going to break any minute now, and the man in front of him is not helping a single bit.

It seemed that the other man was unfazed and sat even more comfortably. “So, a chain of suicides really?” he said conversationally, as if they were talking about something as trivial as the weather.

“Yes, and I believe it has been all around the news and the papers, why the hell are you even asking me?” he muttered, you may call him rude but Jungkook only wanted to rest even for just a few more minutes.

“Well, they’re not really fully reliable, are they? They don’t really get the full information. And, well, who else should I ask questions about this cool case than Officer Jeon?” the other male said cheekily, flashing another annoyingly (charming) smiles. His eyes twinkling with the buzz Jungkook knew all too well.

This made his head thrum even more and his forehead crinkled in pain. “This doesn’t involve you Taehyung-ssi. The police can handle it just right.”

“Is that so? I wanted to talk more about my hypothesis regarding this case. But I have an urgent meeting today, so I guess we’ll have to postpone that for later. See you later Kook-ah.” Jungkook noticed the man glancing at his phone then at his watch. He glared at the obnoxious man waving at him cheerfully. Taehyung made his way out of the café but not without a wink and the same obnoxious smile that did nothing but increase his headache (and maybe even fasten his heartbeat [ to which he would later blame his already cold coffee])

 

 

“I specifically told you to get some rest.” Jimin chastised Jungkook as he settled on his table with nothing but eyebags and brain-splitting migraine. The younger only shook his head and proceeded to turn on his desktop, straight to work. He needed to connect all the murders, then maybe they’ll be able to find the truth.

Seeing as the black-haired male pointedly ignored him, the red-head officer huffed and proceeded to hit Jungkook with a rolled-up newspaper. “Namjoon-hyung is not going to be happy if he hears this.” He said to the younger who massaged the spot where the older hit him.

“Well, Namjoon-hyung won’t need to know about it.” He said as he rolled his eyes at the older. Jimin visibly sighed and was about to chastise Jungkook more when he was cut off by the door opening, showing said hyung who was narrowing his eyes at the both of them.

“What is it that I don’t need to know about?” Namjoon said as walked in and , as per usual, left the door open. He settled on the seat in front of Jungkook’s table and tilted his head at the both of them.

“Nothing Namjoon-hyung.” Jungkook said as he uncharacteristically organized his table. He straightened his posture and cleared his throat looking directly at the head officer, who is also their good friend, Kim Namjoon.

Jimin seemed like he wanted to say something more but opted not to. The oldest of the three narrowed his eyes at the two officers, before shrugging nonchalantly. “Huh. Fine, don’t tell your head officer. I would assume that this is personal and not something vital to the case, or else you’ll both be getting something from me.”

Both officers visible winced at the forced nonchalant tone of the head officer but continued the relative silence.

Namjoon sighed but left that topic. “Anyway, I was going to tell you something about the case we are currently handling. The higher ups had confirmed that we will employ help to solve this. Someone will be working with us to form a special division for cases like these and I need both of you in it.”

Jimin and Jungkook visibly straightened, “You mean we’ll be a separate team from Division 1?” Jimin asked.

The eldest officer nodded, “They told me to lead a special division for unusual cases like this, they have already recommended someone to join us and I would handle the rest of the members.”

“So, who are the others?” Jungkook asked, fully interested with the turn of events. The higher ups may have been overwhelmed by the recent development of the case, so as to suddenly form a special division within the police force.

“Me, Yoongi hyung, some forensics” he cleared his throat as he saw those knowing smiles sent by the younger officers . “Anyway, we need the best people out there and all the other senior officers had already informed me about their recommended person, and he’ll be working with us now. So please don’t freak out okay?”

Jungkook did not like this feeling at all and his gut feeling was proven right as he saw that bright, annoying smile yet again at the door of his office, waving at all of them enthusiastically.

“Kim Taehyung will be our consulting detective, and he’ll be with us in this division.” Namjoon said hesitantly as he saw Jungkook tensed up and practically darken at the mention of the name.

This not going to be good.

 

 

As much as Jungkook wants to protest, he cannot really decline Namjoon’s offer of being in this special division. It is a rare opportunity to be in this and it would be a waste to decline such an amazing opportunity. They will all be given special access to the whole database of the department and given priority to all special cases of murder and homicide. Who knows, he might be able to dig up something about his older brother and to finally be able to solve that case once and for all.

But he would have to leave that for later, right now he needs to come into terms with the fact that he had to work with Kim-ing-Taehyung. Don’t get him wrong, they might be exes but he had moved on from that obnoxious male (or so he’d like to convince himself) and there had been nothing left but pure annoyance and irritation with the said male. And he doesn’t really think he could last being in the same room as Taehyung even for a few minutes without biting his head off.

So he had begrudgingly agreed to join the division, but not without saying that he should never be left alone with Taehyung. For the sake of their sanity.

And so here they are in their first meeting as a team. It is composed of him, Jimin, Namjoon, Yoongi-hyung, another senior officer like Namjoon (who Jimin may or may not be crushing on), Hoseok-hyung and Seokjin-hyung from the forensics (Seokjin-hyung is Namjoon’s boyfriend but shh don’t tell that to anyone else) and of course Taehyung.

“He’s not even from the police.” Jungkook mumbled quietly as he watched the other male snuggle between Seokjin and Hoseok.

And did he forget to mention that the seven of them had studied in the same college, and had known each other even before than this (Though he had only heard about Yoongi-hyung and Seokjin hyung since they were much older than Jungkook). The youngest officer did not really think this was a coincidence, after all Namjoon-hyung personally picked all the other officers except Taehyung. He just hopes that the senior officer knows what he is doing.

“Okay, so I think everyone here knows about those recent suicide cases in Seoul. There had already been five people who had been killed, so far the only connection these victims have are the causes of death. And we need to find out all information that will be vital to the connection of these victims. We will all start with all the victim’s profiles and their last reported sightings.” Namjoon started as he stood in front with an LCD presentation.

“First victim; Lee Chaewon, born on August 23, 1979, 35 years old, she has a family with 2 children, one 12 year old and an 8 year old, and a husband who is a businessman. She was a housewife and had not been employed since she got married. She has a younger sister who had just graduated in college named Lee Chaeha. Their parents are both university professors.  All the other information are in the sheet I gave you. The victim was found in an alley near Gangnam. She was said to be last sighted in a mall near her apartment in Chungjeong. ”

“The next victim is named; Park Myungho, he was born on September 15, 1974, 41 years old. He has a wife and a daughter, the wife’s name is Choi Minhee and their daughter’s name is Park Inha, 7 years old. He was the head accountant from a business firm. He was the only son, his father was a lawyer and his mother a housewife. You may look at the sheet for more information. Mr. Park was found in an abandoned building near Myeongdong. He was last seen leaving his office in Dongdaemun”

“The third victim was Oh Junhyuk, he was born on February 9, 1980, 35 years old, he has a wife and two children, a 9 year old and a 5 year old. He was a security personnel in an established hotel. He was orphaned since birth with no siblings reported. He was found on an abandoned court in Apgujeong and was last seen outside the hotel he is working at.”

The fourth victim was Shin Oh Hwi, born on April 16, 1976, 31 years old, she just got married a year ago. She was a hairdresser before she got married but has resigned after she got hitched. Her mother was also a hairstylist while he father died early. She has an older sister named Shin Min Hwa, who was a fashion designer based on Europe. She was found in a park near Seongsu and was last reported to leave her apartment in Namyeong.”

“The fifth victim is Im Wooyoung, born on October 12, 1973, 41 years old. He has a wife and 3 children, 13 years old, 12 years old and 10 years old. He was a small-time businessman selling different kinds of meats. His parents are dead and his sister is in Mokpo. He was found in a park in Dongdaemun and was last seen in his meat shop.”

Namjoon took a deep breath as he finished the victim’s profiles. He looked expectantly at the others who are carefully reading the sheet of information of the victims.

“Are those drugs found in the body exactly the same drug for each victim?” Yoongi asked as he flipped by the pages one by one.

Seokjin nodded. “We tested all the bodies and it was the same, cyanide. I’m sure everyone had heard of this chemical and how it instantly kills anyone who had ingested it.  We have not seen any marks on all the victims which indicate that there had been no struggle. There are also no traces of any drugs on all the victims bloodstream. “ Hoseok nodded in agreement.

Another heavy silence enveloped the room.

Jimin pursed his lips, “So the only thing we have now is the cause of their death, and information on their seemingly normal life?”

“Well, if this is really a murder concealed as suicide, the killer has an inexplicable knowledge of all the streets in Seoul. He managed to take them relatively away from where they were last seen without even causing a fuss.” Jungkook mused.

Namjoon nodded. “We should check for any common denominator between these victims. Anything at all, or else it could be a goddamn random suicide spree, and so help me I would ing quit on the spot if it is.”

No one commented on that (mainly because they all knew Namjoon wouldn’t, there is a reason why he became a head officer at such a young age)

“Taehyung. Have you figured out anything yet?” Hoseok nudged the silent detective beside him who was busy flipping the pages of the information sheet.

Taehyung looked up and smiled slightly, his shoulders shrugging. “If you ask me, the only thing I have noticed is that all of the victims are married.”

A loud hip-hop beat blasted throughout the conference room and Namjoon took out his phone and answered it tentatively. They all watched his expression harden and his eyes closed in exasperation.

The call ended and everyone had a clue on what has happened.

“There had been another murder.”


A/N: OMG WHAT HAVE I DONE? orz