At The Hop

At The Hop

"YoungJae"! YoungJae waved at his friend who was running over to meet him. "Hi JunHong. What's up"? "A lot. I was wondering when you'd get here". YoungJae roll his eyes at his overdramatic friend. "JunHong, I get to school at the same time everyday. What's got you so excited"? The tall boy was practically bouncing in joy. "They put up posters this morning. There's going to be a school dance and it's "Sock Hop" themed. I wonder if SunHwa Noona will go with me. I think I'm gonna ask her". 

Oh great. A dance, just what I need, an event that requires dancing and a date. "YoungJae, are you ok? You don't look so good. I hope you're not catching a cold before the dance". 

 

§§§§§§

All day long YoungJae had this dredfull feeling in the pit of his stomach while JunHong happily spouted about. "Should I dress like a "Greaser" or a "Soc"? It's so hard to choose"! The dance wasn't until' the end of next week and YoungJae knew, for this week and the next, that his life was ging to be burdensome.

 

§§§§§§

On Wesnesday of the first week, JunHong had asked SunHwa to the dance. The next day YoungJae wanted to slap his friend for spazzing so much because SunHwa had agreed to go with him and JunHong had said her name about fifty times by the end of the school day.

 

§§§§§§

"YoungJae". YoungJae pulled himself out of his mopy stupor at the realization that he had been called upon. "YoungJae, what's wrong? You haven't eaten anything, you just keep pushing it around". "Meh, I'm fine. I guess I'm just not really hungry". "Come on. You know you can tell me anything. What's been bothering you lately"? YoungJae glances toward the boy and lets out a sigh. "I'm just not into this whole dance thing that everyone has been buzzing about. I can barely walk let alone dance. As for a date, I don't even know any girls well enough to ask them to go with me. I know you're excited and all about it, but I'll probablly end up just staying home". 

"What? Come on Jae, you can't do that. It will be fun. Who cares if you can't dance and so what if you don't bring a date. I know several people that are going by themselves. Please come to the dance". "I don't know. I still have two days, so I'll think about it".

 

§§§§§§

"So We'll meet you outside of the gym, ok". "Yes JunHong, I'll see you then". YoungJae hung up his phone and set it on his desk. He had agreed to meet JunHong at the dance. He still didn't feel up to going but when his mother had found out about it, she kept pestering him about going. The dance started at seven, so if he wanted to make it on time, he needs to start getting ready. 

YoungJae decided to dress semi formal. He put on a pair of khaki slacks and a checkered, button up shirt. He then added a tie and a button up cardigan. One he was dressed his mother helped him style his hair how his father used to wear it. She then couldn't stop gushing about how handsome he looked and why this style wasn't in anymore. She only let him leave the house after she took about a dozen pictures.

 

§§§§§§

"Uwah. You clean up nicely YoungJae". YoungJae smiled politely at his friend. "Thank you. You look nice yourself".  JunHong had the standard "Greaser" look; white t-shirt, cuffed blue jeans and Converse shoes. He then directed his attention to SunHwa. "Noona, you also look very pretty". She had on a black and red polka dot, swing dress with red Cha Cha heels and a flower in her hair. She thanked him and then the three of them entered the gym.

The gym was decorated with lots of balloons and streamers. They had the basketball hoops pushed back, but they left a section of the bleachers down for students to have a place to rest. The small table that had the computer and sound equipment was decoreated to look like a jukebox and YoungJae thought that was a nice touch.

Rock Around The Clock was was the first song to play. JunHong and SunHwa went out on the floor while YoungJae found himself a seat on the bottom row of the bleachers. It was funny to see all the teenagers trying to dance like their parents did. Some of the teachers that were chaperoning even joined in. YoungJae smiled at he watched JunHong dance along like the little pro he his.

The next song played was Great Balls Of Fire. That song kind of fired the teenagers up even more. YoungJae laughed as JunHong whirled SunHwa around the gym. If he wasn't careful he was gonna make her sick.

 After sitting there through two more songs, YoungJae was starting to get bored. He just sat there and tapped his foot along to the beat of the music, trying not to look sad. YoungJae sighed as he looked down toward his feet. "Care to join me"? YoungJae whips his head up and is met with a handsome face. YoungJae, confused, turns his head left then right. He looks back in front of him when he doesn't see any girls around him.

"Are you talking to me"? YoungJae recieves a blinding smile in return. "Yes, I am. Would you care to dance with me"? YoungJae looks at the boy in disbelief before his face turns into a scowl. "I'm not a girl".  The handsome boys' eyes crinkle as he laughs. "I never said you were". He takes a seat beside YoungJae and extends his hand. "I'm DaeHyun by the way". YoungJae reluctantly shakes the hand. "I'm YoungJae". "Yeah, I know. I've seen you around school. You're treasurer of the book club, right"? YoungJae nods his head as he wonders how this DaeHyun knew that since he wasn't a member of the club.

 "So? Whadaya say? Let's dance"? YoungJae bites his lip while weighing his options. I do want to dance, it's just that I don't know how. I also don't have a date, but DaeHyun is asking me. He's a male though, won't it be weird? Won't people stare? YoungJae looks at the puppydog face DaeHyun is curently making while outstreaching his hand. "Come on, please"?

YoungJae notices a few couples that had stoped to rest were curiously looking at the two of them. In his haste to avoid the looks, he quickly takes the offered hand. "Fine". "Assa! I knew you wouldn't leave me hanging".


 

I got a little busy (and lazy) while writing this. Here's the first half since you guys have been patienly waiting. I'll have the other half up within the next few days. Feel free to let me know what you think.