Here in the Dark

Open Arms
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lying beside you

Here in the dark

Feeling your heartbeat with mine

Softly you whisper

You’re so sincere

How could our love be so blind

 

            They thought they were prepared for the two years they’d spend apart.  For the whole of their relationship, they’d known this day was coming eventually.  After being in a relationship for nearly the whole time that Kyuhyun had been a part of Super Junior, they felt as if their relationship was solid enough to handle the long absence.  They knew it was.  After so many years and all the hardships they’d been through—hiding their relationship from the public, the stress of working in three different musical groups, living with a group of men, juggling side jobs, and working with your significant other—they’d conquered nearly every problem a couple at their age could expect to face and they were still going strong.  They could survive their absence from each other too. 

            But neither of them wanted to.  They weren’t looking forward to such a long time away from one another.  The longest they’d been away from each other was maybe a week.  Certainly not two.  Two years, even if they managed to see each other during their breaks, was going to be a very long time.

            In the weeks before their enlistment, they began to go out less and less.  Ryeowook had already given up Sukira and Kyuhyun was no longer filming any Radio Star broadcasts.  Since they had more free time, they spent a majority of it together.  The realization that they were about to spend so much time apart was starting to hit home.

            One night, only a week before the dreadful due date, they were lying in bed together in the dark.  Neither of them were speaking for a long stretch.  Instead, they were bundled in the blankets, cuddled up together.  Ryeowook was drawing invisible shapes on Kyuhyun’s chest—maybe hearts—with his finger and Kyuhyun was lying on his back, staring up at the ceiling.  His hand was idly playing with Ryeowook’s soft locks.  Finally, he sighed heavily and turned his head to kiss Ryeowook’s forehead. 

            “Remember when I told you it didn’t matter if you wrote me in basic or not?” he asked.

            Ryeowook hummed his response.

            “I changed my mind.”

            Ryeowook smiled and nuzzled Kyuhyun’s chest.  “Have you?  Why?”

            “I’ll want to know how you are,” he said.  “And I’m going to miss hearing from you.  I think I’ll go crazy if I don’t know what’s going on, even if you have to watch what you say.  An edited version of your usual rambling is better than nothing.”

            “I was going to write you anyway,” Ryeowook informed him.  “I knew you’d regret it once you got there.  Will you write me?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter