Mr. Kwon and Dr. Park

To Love and Be Loved Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Anything related to medical terms should not be taken seriuosly (as what the original author said & ofcourse me). This just a pure fanfiction. Thank you for reading and supporting the story. Fighting!

 

 

Chapter VI: Mr. Kwon and Dr. Park

 

Dara's POV:

Seoul never really went to sleep. It was one of those cities where there's always some kind of activity going on. Therefore, it was only appropriate that South Korea is one of the first countries on the planet to see the sun after its rotation on the earth. Waste no time and live life. That's not how a certain pink haired doctor felt right about now. Yet again, she forgot to close the curtains, which would have blocked her view from the accursed rays of the sun. That's just the price you pay for getting used to sleeping on the side of the bed that faces the window. You get a not so pleasant wake up call.

"This has got to stop." She mumbled as she shifted her weight on the bed. She turned to the alarm clock and forced herself to get up. Today was Dara's first day at work, not to mention another first day for Hanbin. Since she wouldn't be able to pick him up from school from now on, she decided that he should participate in an after school activity. Hanbin had decided that he would take the karate class. Dara assumed he would want to take art, but he claimed that he didn't need classes because he was already good at it. The club lasted an extra two hours after school which gave her enough time to finish work and pick him up.

Yawning, she stretched a bit before starting her morning routine of getting ready. After she showered, she picked out a pair of new scrubs that she got from the hospital. She had a few color choices that included blue, pink, and green. She decided to go with the pink scrubs today. She would also have to keep a pair of each color in her office. You never know when you need a new pair of scrubs. Dara got dressed quickly and went to awaken Hanbin.

She walked into his room and woke him up. After informing him of the time, Hanbin bolted out of bed and headed straight towards the bathroom, but not before Dara heard him slip on the rug again. After a quick inspection for cuts or bruises, Hanbin was in the bathroom freshening up while Dara headed downstairs to make breakfast.

After breakfast, they got in the car and left for school. When they arrived Hanbin could see Taehyun and Seohyun walking towards the school together. He got out of the car and said goodbye to his mother.

"Bye sweetheart." She said before she drove off. Hanbin ran to catch up with the twins. They both turned around at the sound of their names being called.

"Hey Hanbin." Taehyun shouted as he and Seohyun stopped walking to wait for him.

"Hi guys," Hanbin greeted. "Where's Hayi?" He asked as he scanned the area for her.

"Over there." Seohyun pointed out.

Hanbin turned around to see Hayi on a motorcycle with a man that kind of looked like her.

‘Is that her dad? He looks cool.’ Hanbin thought as he watched the man pluck Hayi off his bike and give her a kiss on the forehead. The man got back on the motorcycle and watched her make her way toward her friends. He locked eyes with Hanbin for a moment before leaving. Hayi was running toward them with her book bag swinging in one arm and another bag in the other arm.

"Hi everybody." She greeted breathlessly due to the running. Everyone said hello in return before Hanbin asked if the man on the motorcycle was her father.

Hayi giggled before saying "Nope! That was my Jaejoong-samchon. He drops me off at school now because my halmeoni isn't home right now and my appa can't do it. He's so cool because he drives a motorcycle and then I get to ride in the back and it's really fun!"

"Oh…cool. I want a motorcycle when I grow up." Hanbin declared with an awed expression on his face.

"I want to ride one too." Seohyun said with the same dreamy expression.

"I want to take a nap." Taehyun said sleepily. The others laughed and followed him into the school before the bell rang.

 

Dara's POV:

Dara walked into the lobby of Seoul Medical Center. First she had to locate Chaerin at the nursing department and get her list of patients. Armed with the coffee from the cart that was recommended to her yesterday, she felt ready to conquer her first day.

She walked to the elevator and pushed the button for the second floor. Every floor had a nursing department but the main one was on the second floor. Dara was nervous yet excited at the same time. Seoul Medical was the best of the best. It was the largest hospital in the country and had the most advanced technologies at its disposal, but what really intrigued Dara was the patient care. In a recent study, SMC was rated number one in the country in patient care and had the highest success rates in recovery and treatment.

Dara exited the elevator on the second floor, which contained the Intensive Care units. She made her way thought the halls and spotted the nursing station just beyond it. As she walked closer, she saw Chaerin putting some charts on their proper racks.

"Good morning Chaerin." She greeted as she approached the nursing station. Chaerin turned to her and smiled.

"Good Morning Dara. Are you ready for today? It does get pretty hectic." She warned.

Dara sighed.

‘What's with everyone trying to prepare me for rush hour? I guess I just have to prove myself.’ She thought before saying, "Yeah, I'm ready for anything. So how many patients do I have to see today?"

"These patients are scheduled for today." Chaerin said as she handed over the list.

"You have three OB patients that need a general screening and one pediatric case on the 10th floor. Not much for today as far as appointments and rounds but the ER is another case altogether. You'll be on call for that if any children or expectant mothers rush through the door as well as general cases if they come up. Here's your pager," said Chaerin as she handed Dara a small black pager with her name on it.

"The patients are all downstairs in the clinic." She added as she struggled to hand the huge pile of files to Dara. For only four patients, those were pretty big files.

"Thanks Chaerin. I can't wait to see who my first patient will be." She said as she easily held on to all the files in one hand.

‘I don't see what Seungri's complaining about.’ She thought.

Chaerin told Dara to call her for lunch so they could get to know each other better. Dara agreed to do so before heading downstairs. When the elevator doors opened, she was a bit surprised to see Jiyong sitting in the lobby. It was then that she remembered that he was going to be with her all day to see how she copes. It was a weird condition, but she just figured the hospital was very invested in their doctors. She walked up to him and he stood up as soon as she approached him.

"Hello Jiyong," she said while shifting the files to her other arm. "Are you ready to see what I can do?" She saw him smirk.

"From what you have on your resume, I expect to be amazed. So the question is: are you ready to impress me?" He asked trying to read her expression. He smirked again when he saw her raise her eyebrow.

"I'm ready to help my patients and save some lives…but impressing you is the least of my concerns. If it happens, then that's just a bonus." She replied before walking towards the clinic.

Jiyong wasn't expecting that answer but non-the-less, he was already a little impressed with her. Most employees were rather intimidated by him because of his status in the hospital not to mention his overall presence. His distant demeanor and dark appearance from his hair and eyes to his height of  1.77 meter made him very intimidating to approach.

With the exception of his friends and family, no one really spoke to him with confidence; especially women. Women were the absolute worst when they were around him. Either they were too nervous to say anything straight, or they were just too damn flirtatious. It was rare that he would meet a woman around his age that was neither nervous nor flirtatious. But then again, wasn't she married? If she were, then of course she wouldn't flirt with another man.

Dara stopped walking when she realized he wasn't following her. "Are you coming Jiyong?" she asked. Jiyong snapped out of his thoughts and walked towards her. Together they made their way towards the clinic. On the way, Jiyong would tell her of certain hospital rules and regulations that were basic but important to know for the entire staff. Dara listened to him and absorbed all the info such as the emergency drills they have randomly about twice a year and the outside services she could contact if they were ever shorthanded with personnel. She also got the layout of all the floors.

They walked into the clinic and Dara got to work. She gave the nurses the patient charts while she was prepping for the exams. For privacy and confidentiality, Jiyong was going to have to wait outside the patient's room.

’What was the point of him following me now? He can't even "observe" me.’ She thought.

"Dr. Park, the patient is in the room waiting for you," one of the nurses said. "Also, Mr. Kwon insisted that I’ll be there with you and relay the exam to him as part of your evaluation."

"That's fine. Let's get started shall we?" She said as she and the nurse went into the exam room. The first thing that Dara noticed when she walked into the room was that the girl looked pissed. She had long brown hair that was tied up and black eyes. Her legs were propped up on the stir-ups with a sheet over them. She seemed young and really annoyed. Her breathing was a little irregular.

‘Oh boy…first day, first patient and already I can tell she's going to be a handful.’ She thought before approaching her and saying "Hello there…Meiko," she said while looking over her chart again. "I'm Dr. Park. What seems to be the problem with you today?"

"First of all, I think you already know why I'm here because it says so on the damn chart." Meiko snapped. "My legs are propped up and an ultrasound machine is right next to me. I had a positive pregnancy test and my stomach hurts. I want to know if I'm pregnant, that's my damn problem!" She shouted.

Dara wasn't affected by her attitude. She's handled tougher patients that this before. One time a patient tried to slice her hand off with a blade that they kept hidden in their shirt. Dara noticed that Meiko was getting paler by the second and her breathing became increasingly irregular slowly but surely.

"What's her blood pressure?" She asked to her assistant. The nurse flipped through the chart and looked.

"It's 140 over 90 Dr. Park" she replied. That was pretty high for someone so young.

"Let's do the ultrasound." Dara suggested as she placed a glove on her hand and took the probe off the machine.

She lifted the sheet and stuck the probe into Meiko, who squirmed a bit. Then Dara turned her attention to the screen and didn't like what she saw. The uterus was empty, but the pregnancy test came out positive. Judging by Meiko's blood pressure, abdominal pain, and ragged breathing, Dara rotated the probe a bit and found the problem.

‘Omo.’ She thought depressingly.

"Hmmm… I found the problem. You have what we call an ectopic pregnancy, which means you are indeed pregnant, but the baby is growing in your fallopian tubes, instead of the uterus. This is a very dangerous condition and you're going to need surgery. But I'm sorry to tell you that the baby won't make it." She said as she removed the probe.

Meiko's expression was hard to read. Her face was contorted but that could have been from the pain or maybe it was the emotional blow of knowing that she's going lose the baby. She was breathing hard by now and she was a pale as ghost. Dara turned to the nurse that was with her.

"Prep an OR (Operating Room) stat! Her left tube looks ready to burst any second and we don't want that happening. She won't survive the blood loss."

The nurse nodded and called for transportation.

While all this was happening, Jiyong was waiting out in the hallway of the clinic.

‘I should have come with her when she was doing rounds.’ He thought. There was no point in him being here if he wasn't allowed to observe her during GYN exams.

It had been a little over twenty minutes when the door leading into the rooms was burst open and Dara rushed out with a patient on the bed. There were two other nurses surrounding the patient attaching IV tubes and checking for blood pressure. The patient on the other hand was hyperventilating and thrashing around making it harder for the nurses to contain her. Dara conversely remained calm but acted with urgency.

"Dr. Park!" he shouted. "What's going on here? Why's a clinic patient being prepped?" He asked while speed walking in step with Dara.

"The patient needs immediate surgery. We don't have time to wait around. She has to be admitted." She said without even glancing at him.

"I assume you'll be doing the surgery."

"Of course I will. She's my first patient here and I'll see to it that she's taken care of…" She trailed of. She didn't have time to talk right now. She spent the rest of the time going to the basement level where the OR was located. She vaguely recalled Jiyong saying that he would be watching her from the observation deck.

After Meiko was transported to the OR, Dara went and got prepped. She tied her hair back in a ponytail and placed a cap over her head. Then she scrubbed her hands and had a nurse put her scrub coat on. After she was gloved and got her goggles, she went into the room where Meiko was laying down, barely conscious. The anesthesia was starting to kick in.

Dara walked over to Meiko and stood next to her. Meiko turned her head to look up at Dara. She never really mentioned how she felt about finding out that she was pregnant. From her first impression, Dara thought that Meiko was upset at having a baby and maybe would have wanted an abortion had the case been different. But as Dara looked into Meiko's eyes she saw there was something else there; a small emotion that could only be described as regret.

"It'll be okay Meiko, don't worry about it." She said.

Soon after, Meiko's eyes closed completely and one of the nurses stated that she was sedated and ready to go.

From up above in the observation deck, Jiyong could get a clear view of the scene going on. He saw Dara stand next to the patient and talk to her before she went under. He looked around the room that was slowly starting to fill up with various people, mostly interns, who were informed of the surgery and were eager to watch the apprentice of the renowned Dr. Goo Hyesun at work.

Jiyong was also surprised to see IU walk into the room. She spotted him and walked right over.

"Hey Jiyong! What are you doing here? Watching our little flower up close?" She asked with mock playfulness. Jiyong looked up at the ceiling and sighed.

"I'm here to observe her methods. I want to know exactly who I invested our time and money into." He answered as he watched the surgery about take place.

"By the way, what's the case?" He asked.

"Twenty-year-old female with an extra uterine pregnancy," she answered. "They're going in for a removal of the embryo and partial or complete removal of the tube itself…" She sighed.

"That's got to be the worst though, losing a baby when you find out your having one. I think I would freak if that happened to me."

"It's not like you're pregnant," he muttered. He looked over at her when she didn't say anything. She was looking at Dara who was busy navigating her way through the patient's abdomen.

Jiyong watched her and waited a beat before saying "You're pregnant aren't you?"

IU looked up at him with an apprehensive expression was on her face. She had wanted to keep that a secret for a while, at least until she told Youngbae, but damn, Jiyong had to ask.

"… Well…yeah but you can't tell anyone, at least not yet." She said. Jiyong shrugged.

"Hnn." He responded. His face soon grew into a smirk.

"Dong doesn't know does he?" He asked mischievously. IU refused to meet his eyes.

"I haven't told him but somehow I think that he already knows. Damn him and his superior observation skills! I swear it's like he can see through everything. There are no secrets from Yioungbae. He's mocking me I tell you." She huffed before slumping down on one of the chairs.

"It's like he's just waiting for me to spill the beans. Just once, I'd like to surprise him, but nooooo, he just has to know everything before everyone. Isn't it a rite of passage that a woman gets to tell her husband that she's carrying his child?"

She looked up at Jiyong who stared back with an uninterested face.

"…You don't care do you?" She asked. Jiyong tilted his head up and looked over at the surgery.

"No…" he deadpanned. "But if you want to vent so badly then talk to Chaerin or even Dara. You two are friends aren't you?"

"Obviously Dara's a little busy now and well, Chaerin already knows. I swear it's like the observation thing runs in their family or something."

"Tsk." He said, his tone clearly showing that he's reached his limit with the topic.

"Just talk to Dara. I assume you don't have a scheduled surgery today."

She shook her head. "No but I'm on call for the ER. I guess I will talk to her at lunch. Besides, she and I have a year's worth of catching up to do. As a dedicated godmother, I have to be updated on my godchild's life.”

At the mention of Dara's child, Jiyong was reminded of Hayi's earlier inquiry about the relationship to the boy. He figured now was as good a time as any to get to the bottom of that.

"Did you know that Hayi and Dara's son go to the same school? They're even in the same class." He said.

"Really? I knew that he went to same school but I didn't know he was in Hayi's class. Did Hayi and Hanbin become friends?" She asked.

"I guess their friends. They discovered that they both have you and Youngbae in common." He replied.

"That's right. How did I miss that? Oh well. That's just a unique twist of fate as Youngbae would so eloquently say it. Does Dara know about this?"

Jiyong stared down at the operation and watched Dara give orders to the surrounding nurses. "I'm not sure. She didn't mention anything about it so I can't really say, but I'll be sure to find out when she's done." He answered.

Dara was nearly done with the procedure. Meiko's vitals were all good and the procedure was going well. Dara carefully cut away at the fallopian tube until she could see exactly where the obstruction was. When she found it, she clamped each side with scissor like instruments and carefully cut it away. Then she removed the rest of the tube.

Dara felt very heavy after she placed the tube containing the baby in the pan. There was nothing anyone could do about an ectopic pregnancy; it was virtually guaranteed that the baby would not survive the experience. But still, it was a life gone to waste before it even had the chance to live and to Dara, that was a devastating thing.

After she removed the tube, she stepped back and allowed the rest of the surgical team to close Meiko up and place the stitches on her. Dara still had patients to see today and could not spend all her time in the OR. She would check up on Meiko before she left today. She went back in the prep room and discarded her scrub uniform and washed up. She went out into the hall where she was greeted by IU and Jiyong. Dara had completely forgotten that he was watching the whole time; she was too absorbed in the procedure.

"Nice one Dara! You were done in thirty minutes flat. As expected from the prodigy of Hyesun." IU praised as she slung her arm around Dara's shoulders.

"So Jiyong, what do you think of her now? A wise investment right?"

Dara couldn't resist laughing a little. IU was one of the best friends a girl could ask for. She was always sticking up for her and supporting her. Dara noticed that there was something different about IU today though…and she had a feeling that she knew what it was.

"Nice work." He commented. "How many cases like that have you experienced before?" He asked. Dara merely shrugged.

"A few," she answered. "This was a fairly simple case compared to the others. We found the problem before the tube burst so…YOUNGBAE?" She shouted.

The others turned around and saw Dong Youngbae walk out of the OR room next door. He looked surprised to see everyone standing there.

"Hello Dara."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter