Chapter 1

The Masquerade

so this is the Short story version.

Chapter one

 

(I’ll jump to the part where Bryan arrives at the ball, because I know you’ll get bored if I repeat the part with his parents)

 

The venue is at our school gym that’s transformed into a room full of black, white and sparkles.

I made my way to the spot near the buffet table. I’m sure that my friends would be there, because wherever there is food, you’ll find them immediately.

I passed through the dance floor where students are already dancing to the music played by the school’s DJ. I stopped when someone caught my eye. She was wearing a floor length red velvet dress which fits her body perfectly. Her naturally curly hair falling down her back and a mask of red and silver made her outfit complete. Even with her mask on, I can recognize those beautiful eyes of hers from where I am standing right now.

I was about to approach her when I noticed that she was talking to someone. Not just someone, but Zeke. He’s wearing a black and white tux matched with his red and gold mask. They look like a couple.

Pathetic. I should be the one with her instead of him. If only I wasn’t this much of a scaredy-cat to confess my feelings, would she be mine?

I felt a hand on my shoulder and when I looked, it was Geo. He smiled at me so I smiled back, he probably recognized them too.

“It’s alright dude, there’s plenty of food at the buffet table” I smacked him on the shoulder.

“Is eating the only solution you can think of?” we started walking to our table but I glanced at the two one last time.

“Of course, food is the only companion I have” I was about to say something when he cut me off “because if I’m with you guys, you would take food from me instead of me just eating solo” he smirked. I shook my head. Sometimes I wonder how I became friends with these guys.

When we got to our table, I saw the others munching on their food while watching the other students dance. I sat between Clark and James. While Geo sat beside Kevin. I just watched them eat when Clark spoke out of the blue.

“So, you’re really going to do this?” he asked.

I looked at the rose I’m holding. Should I?

He let out a sigh and put down his piece of chicken leg. “Is it going to be worth it?”

 The others stopped eating too and eyed us.

“I … I just want closure I guess. If I can tell her how I feel, maybe it will put me at peace”

“Will it put you at peace or will it give you expectations?” Kevin asked with his mouth full.

“You know I can’t help it”

I felt James’ hand on my shoulder so I faced him. “No matter what happens tonight, we’ll be here at the buffet table supporting you from afar”

I smiled at them. Somehow, I’m thankful that I have them as friends. They’re weird, but awesome.

--

Time flies so quickly, it’s almost midnight and the song playing is a mellow song, perfect for a romantic dance.

I glanced at the dance floor searching for one particular person. I saw still with him. Of course they’re always together.

I glanced at my friends one last time. They nodded at me and gave me a thumbs up.

“Good luck dude!” Kevin said.

I took a deep breath. This is it.

My eyes are glued to them as I approach. My steps are becoming heavier as I watch them. They look good together. Should I continue this?

Just do it! It’ll lessen your burden. A small voice shouted in my head.

I let out a sigh and continued approaching them.  This is it.

I tapped Zeke on the shoulder causing them to stop dancing and facing me. I held my hand out for Alice. He looked at me for a good moment before stepping aside and handing Alice’s hand into mine. He smiled at us before walking away and asking some other girl to dance with him.

I faced Alice with her hand in mine and the other on my shoulder, I put my other on her waist as we start to sway back and forth to dance. I turned her around and caught her. She smiled widely at me. She really loves dancing.

We danced for a good while before the song changed and someone caught my eye. It’s Geo, he was pointing to his watch so I looked at the clock and it’s almost midnight.  I have to do it now.

I looked at her straight in the eyes and smiled. She smiled back at me full of joy. I don’t know if she recognized me, but I don’t care. I swallowed the lump on my throat before speaking.

“Alice …” I said as I tried my best to change my voice so she won’t recognize me.

“hmm?” she hummed in reply.

“Alice I … I like you. No, I love you. Even way back, I already had feelings for you. It’s just that I’m too much of a coward to tell you how I feel. And now … now I’m too late” I felt tears starting to build up in my eyes but I ignored it. “I can see how you looked at him and it hurts me so. I know nothing will change after this confession, but always remember that I’m always here watching you from afar”

We stopped dancing. She looked at me with shock in her expression. “I-I …” she tried to speak but nothing would come out. “W-who are you?” she asked and tried to touch my mask but I stepped back. She can’t know who I am.

She can’t know that I’m Bryan, the Bryan that everybody looks down on.

I shook my head. “I hope you’ll be happy with Zeke” I said before tapping the guy nearest to me. I stole his mask and gave him mine. I pulled him to my spot. “Stay”. I told him then I ran away.

I’m sorry, but I can’t face you after what I’ve done.

 

~ 2 days later ~

Third person POV

Monday came in a blur where the halls were filled with conversations about their experience at the ball. Some talk about how their boyfriends danced with them and some were about their mysterious admirers.

But along those chitchats, there was one student who’s spacing out in the corner of their homeroom thinking about what happened at the night before. One guy who just entered the room noticed her though.

He approached her and flicked her forehead bringing her back to reality. “Ouch. What was that for?” she asked as she rubbed her sore forehead.

He sat beside her. “You’re spacing out. Did something happen?” he asked his friend.

She faced the window and let out a sigh. “I don’t know whether it really happened or if it’s just a dream”.

His brows furrowed at her statement. “What?”

She faced her friend and showed a confused expression. “Remember the dude I danced with before midnight? He … he confessed his feelings for me.”

Her friend smiled inwardly so the she wouldn’t see that he’s happy for her. “and?”

She let out another sigh. “I felt my heart tingle with shock and joy. It felt like I knew him for a long time. But when I was about to remove his mask, he grabbed someone and exchanged his mask before running away. I was left dumbstruck and just stared at the path he took and it took a while before it sunk in that he’s actually gone”

Zeke smiled at what he was hearing. He’s really happy for her friend. He knew something that one of his friends didn’t … or haven’t realized yet.

“Some kind of Cinderella huh?” he joked. She just smiled and played with her hands

“Kind of, but he didn’t leave a shoe, instead, he left me his mysterious identity and it’s driving me insane to find out who he was”

Zeke laughed inwardly, he doesn’t want to offend his friend or give a clue. He knew everything from the start: Bryan’s plan, and his identity. That’s why he never left Alice’s side so he can be sure that it was Bryan who she was going to dance with.

“And you know what? Before he left, he told me ‘I hope you be happy with him’. Like, who is he talking about?”

--

Zeke’s POV

“And you know what? Before he left, he told me ‘I hope you be happy with him’. Like, who is he talking about?”

I choked on my own saliva at her statement. I felt her hand on my back, rubbing it for me to feel better.

Seriously?! What the heck was Bryan thinking?! Alice doesn’t have a boyfriend and she has feelings for him! Err … though she hasn’t realized it yet.

“Are you okay? Do you want some water or something?” she asked me worriedly. I just gestured her a no.

I took a deep breath and looked at her. Do you notice something familiar from him?” I asked her.

“Not much. The height, his figure and his scent, I guess?” she looked at me confused

“Do you plan of looking for him?” she looked at me with determined eyes. And with that, I already got my answer. “What’s your plan?”

She clapped her hands together before pulling out a notebook and a pen from her bag and started scribbling. A few moments later, she showed it to me. I gave her a confused look. I surely do not understand what she wrote. Not that her penmanship is bad, it’s just that it’s not in order.

“Okay, this is my plan.” She pointed at the circle in the middle of the page. “Since the masked guy is from our school, and the ball is exclusive only for juniors and seniors I’ll just search within this preference.” Then she drew an ‘x’ on the juniors. “And based on what he said, he liked me from way back so that leaves me with the seniors” I nodded my head. I must admit, that was a good deduction. But can she find him?

“Okay, so you do have a plan right?” I asked her

“Of course I do” she replied.

I nodded slowly then smiled at her. “Well, you can do it on your own then.” I told her with a thumbs-up.

Her face looked epic! She had a surprised look with open. I almost laughed but I held it in.

“W-wait, you’re not going to help me?” she asked when she recovered.

I tilted my head “Why would I? You have your plan set, there’s nothing more I have to do” I answered

“C’mon, give me a hand here. I can’t find him on my own you know!” she said and clung on my arm

“Nah, I’m a busy person you know”

“Oh shut up. I know you just play games at home. So pleeeaaaseee help me!” she swung my arm as she pleaded.

“That’s what makes me busy!”

“You’re really not going to help me?” she asked then pouted

I looked at her straight “No” then laughed

“Wah! You’re so mean!” she said as she hit my arm that she’s still clinging on.

I just laughed at her and she just hits every time. It’s my arm becomes sore tomorrow, I’m blaming her.

We stopped fooling around when someone faked a cough. And when we looked, it was Bryan looking at us seriously. Alice let go of me and sat straight on her seat while I stood up giving way for Bryan to sit on his chair. He sat down without a word before placing his earphones in and ignoring our presence.

 Just gave a look at Alice and gave her a thumbs-up before making my way to my assigned seat.

I wish the best or those two.

--

Alice’s POV

Ugh! I can’t believe he won’t help me! I should’ve expected that. He’s too lazy to do anything other than playing games. I guess I have to do things on my own.

I played with my hands. I don’t know why, but I’m feeling awkward with Bryan beside me. I sneaked a look at him and found myself staring. He changed … in a way.

His aura changed that it would catch your attention specially that he’s wearing a serious look. His hair was dyed brown but arranged perfectly on his head.

I felt my heart beat fast when his eyes caught mine and I immediately looked away. Somehow, I’m feeling guilty. I like him … I really do. But the guy at the ball, he also made my heart flutter like this.

Is this even possible? I mean, have two persons make me feel this way … or maybe they’re just one?

I looked at him once more, he’s now facing our teacher. I didn’t even notice her entering our room.

He has the height, the body structure, but I don’t think the voice matches his even if it was lowered.

I sighed, I want to believe that it’s him, but I don’t want to get my hopes up. He doesn’t even like me.

I sighed once more. I’ll just go with my plan and just like him from afar.

--

i hope you like it