the masquerade

The Masquerade

Tonight is the night. The night I've been getting ready for: the masquerade ball. This is the only chance I have to make up for what I left behind.

I put on my mask with the color of blue and silver before scanning myself in the mirror to see if there's still something missing. Well, there's none. My outfit is fully complete.

I took the rose that was lying on my bed along with my keys and my phone before walking out of the room to see my parents down the staircase holding a camera aimed at me.

I went down the staircase but when the camera started clicking, I had no choice but to stop and smile. A photograph is a lifelong memory, and I don't want anyone seeing a picture of me looking weird as I go down the stairs.

"Mom, you're taking too many photos. It's not like this is my first prom ever you know." I said as I kissed her cheek.

"Well, it is your last. I just want to have pictures of my handsome baby" she said as she hugged me tightly. I flushed in embarrassment. Fortunately, my friends aren't here right now or else I'll be the laughingstock in our group.

"I'm not a baby anymore mom."

"You are in our eyes son, you are in our eyes" dad said as we engaged in a man hug. "Well then, you better get going now" dad said as he patted my shoulder.

"Okay dad, mom. I'll get going now" I said and went out.

I went in my car but before I start the engine, I glanced at our house where my parents are at the doorway waving at me. I took a deep breath and started the engine and made my way to school.

The ball's venue is at the school gym that's transformed into a fancy room just like those in fairytales. The gym is already filled with students because it's almost time for the ball to start. Every student wearing their best suits and dresses matched with their own personal masks.

I went to the other side of the room where the buffet table is. I'm pretty sure that my friends are there. Probably chowing down on every food their eyes may lay upon.

On my way, my eyes caught a glanced on a girl wearing a floor length red velvet dress that fits her body well, matching with her red and silver mask. Her naturally curly hair falling down her back just makes her outfit look perfect. Indeed, she is beautiful.

I was about to approach her when a guy wearing a black tux matched with his red and gold mask. I'll know the identity of that person even just by seeing his silhouette. That's surely Zeke.

I looked at the two. Alice and Zeke. They look good together. I can see her smile when she's with him. a genuine smile that only a few can witness. And luckily, I was one of them.

I looked at the rose in my hand. Is it even worth it?

I felt a hand on my shoulder and when I looked, it was Geo. He gave me a sympathetic smile. He probably recognized them too.

"Come dude, let's just eat it all off" he said. I smacked him on the back of his head.

"You never stop eating." I said as we made our way to the table where they've been hanging out: the table nearest to the buffet table.

"Eating is a part of life, if you don't eat, you die" he said with a smirk on his face.

I shook my head. Sometimes I wonder how I became friends with these guys.

When we got to our table, I saw the others munching on their food while watching the other students dance. I sat between Clark and James. While Geo sat beside Kevin. I just watched them eat when Clark spoke out of the blue.

"Are you really going to do this?" he asked with a serious face.

I looked down at my hands. Can I?

He let out a sigh and put down his piece of chicken leg. "Is it going to be worth it?"

The others stopped eating too and eyed us.

"I ... I just want to take it out of my system" I answered.

"Please tell me you're not having any expectations" Kevin asked while pouting.

"I know it's wrong, but I just can't help it. I have a few expectations even if I stop myself"

I felt James' hand on my shoulder so I faced him. He smiled. "Whatever may happen tonight, just know that we're here for you and we support you"

I smiled back and nodded. I glanced at the others; they gave me a thumbs up and cheeky smiles. I'm really thankful that I have them.

--

Time flies so quickly; it's almost time for the night to end. And what's pathetic is that I haven't even made my move.

I looked over at the people dancing in the middle, searching for a specific person. I quickly found them. They're dancing in the middle of the room dancing happily.

I'm too late. I'm too late, scared and stupid. I almost had her, but this stupidity of mine led me to introduce Zeke to her. Now look what I've gotten into, them being happy together while I watch them from a far.

But at least she's happy. I can see clearly even from where I'm standing. It's so obvious. Alice really likes Zeke, even from the start.

I smiled to myself. Ridiculous.

I look and sound ridiculous right now. With my glasses off and my hair pushed back, I thought I would gain at least a little bit of confidence. But no, with this stupid tie, mask and suit on, I feel like a clown.

They stopped dancing.

Great. That means it's my turn.

I walked up to her, tapped her shoulder and smiled. But the way she looked right now, so beautiful it almost made me forget what to say. But as I said, almost. "Miss, can I have this dance?" I asked her once and held out my hand for her to take.

She gave Zeke a nod and with a small smile, her hand was on mine. I lead her throughout the dance. But while turning her, a thought came into mind. I should do it now.

"Alice" I said while trying to change my voice so she won't recognize.

"Hmm?" she hummed.

"Alice, I ... I like you. No, love you. Even way back then, I was just a coward to tell you. But I guess nothing will happen even if you hear my confession. I knew you like Zeke the moment you met him. I know because of the way you looked at him."

We stopped dancing. She stared at me with a puzzled look. I gave her a smile. "I hope you be happy with him"

We were staring at each other when I felt her hand on my cheek, slowly moving up to my mask. No. I stepped back. She can't find out that I'm Bryan, the nerdy Bryan that everyone hates.

 

I tapped the guy beside me. I stole his mask and gave him mine. I pulled him so that he was standing at my spot. "Stay." I told him and I ran away.

----------

so, hey. this is the one-shot version of this story. i have another version of this which will lead to a short story. i don´t know if i´ll continue it though.