He Keeps Me Warm

He Keeps Me Warm

A/N I was listening to same love by Macklemore and Mary lambert, it's optional but you can try listening to that while u read, I think it's a fitting background music :)


 

          And on June 26, 2015, America declares same marriage to be legal, giving equality and rights to every kind of couple.....

 
 
            Kris takes slow deep breathes as he walks through the school hallway. He feels like one of those slow moving montages in movies. His feet and steps feel slow, his guts will not stop churning, and his lungs can barely breathe. It's like a weight was tied around all his organs, squishing and pulling them down. He just can't stop the anxiety and nervousness. But among the gut wrenching anxiousness, he feels excitement. He feels hop and the urgent need to do something he's been refusing to do for years. It's like a wave being kept back by a breaking dam, he has to release it. 
 
           When he gets to room 3A, he stops short at the door as his breath hitches. He can see him now. And as per usual, he was eating snacks, chatting with the students with a smile on his face. Kris' eyes softens in fondness at the sight of the smile. He's had the pleasure of seeing that same smile for years now. And he swears by his life, he'll do everything in his power to keep that smile alive. 
 
           A step in the room and immediately all eyes are on Kris. 
 
"Kris!" 
 
         Kris smiles fondly as he hears the cry of his name. 
 
"Hey Tao." He replies. He looks across the room to see his best friend of 10 years bounding across the room to get to him. He almost can't stop the tears and the urge in his heart. 
 
      Tao smiles as he reaches and high fives Kris. "Whatcha doing in my home room?" 
 
"I have to tell you something" Kris answers. 
 
Tao slings his arm around Kris' neck as he starts to lead Kris out of the room. But Kris had another idea and stood firm at the front of the room. 
 
"I have to do this here" Kris says. He can't even hear his own words though, his heart is so loud. 
 
Tao's face scrunched up in confusion as he stares at his best friend, "do what?" 
 
 Kris takes a deep breath, and goes for it before his courage wanes out, he grabs Tao's hands and holds them firmly, "Today, I found the courage to accept myself. I found the courage to accept my feelings. And I found the courage to tell you my feelings. Huang Zitao, you and I have been the best of friends for a decade now. But you have also been my love for a decade now. I know we're both males, but what is the difference? My love for you is not any different just because we're not the "right" genders. I've been trying to hide it for years, but today, I found courage and realized, you can't hide love, because it shouldn't be hidden. Huang Zitao, when I fell in love with you, I saw my future and it was with you. So if you will, be my love for a decades and decades more? 
 
Tao has barely opened his mouth to respond when the whole room and the hallway outside came alive with murmurs and shocked whispers. The teachers was desperately trying to keep everyone quiet and organized and was yelling at Kris to be sent to the office. But Kris stood firm as he held Tao's hand waiting for Tao to reply. Kris knew people's response would be negative. Homouality wasn't something very accepted in society. But this wasn't about uality, this was about love. His love for Tao that he's been denying for years. And he can't deny it anymore. His love for Tao was not meant to be ignored, he shouldn't be afraid of it anymore. Because love was not something to be ashamed or afraid of. 
 
When Tao finally moves to respond, Kris heart falls down as he thought that Tao would be repulsed for sure. Kris might have feelings for Tao but that doesn't mean the feeling is mutual. But Tao surprises Kris by pulling Kris close and wrapping his arm around Kris' neck. Kris' body moves on instinct and he wraps his arms around Tao's waist and buries his face on Tao's neck. Their bodies fits perfectly. 
 
"I was afraid too." Tao whispers against Kris' ear. "I loved you for so long Kris, but I was afraid of what everyone would say. But you're right, there is no difference and we shouldn't be afraid." Tao turns to face Kris, he cups Kris face with his hands and brings their noses together while Kris moves to hold Tao's arms. "Kris, I love you too." 
 
Kris and Tao smiles at each other and stays in  each other's arms. The noise and the buzzing of the room fades around them as they ignore the shouts of indignation from everyone. Today they found the courage to be together. And that's all that matters because no matter what they will face from now on, Love wins.