Christmas Challenge: Prompt 2 (What can I do to get me to you?)

Winter Dreams

What can I do to get me to you? (Empty Promise)

Title: What can I do to get me to you? (Empty Promise)
Pairing: HyukFany (Lee Eunhyuk and Tiffany Hwang)
Rating: PG-13
Genre: Drama, Angst, and (a hint of) Spy
Summary: Tiffany and Eunhyuk are both spies on missions, but they’re also lovers—how do they cope with it?
GIF credit: lovepaints.tumblr.com
Author's Note: This is a drabble for the challenge contest (here). I've actually wanted to write this for quite a long time already :) Oh & by the way, this is unedited... but it will be. 

The cut ran deep across my calf, which I took care of with a ripped piece from my shirt. I broke into the hotel room from the side carefully, knowing that it would be empty at this time. Picking the lock, I pushed my sleeve up and checked the time.

03:45.

Fifteen minutes to spare. I opened the door, turning around to make sure no one was following me. The rest of my body (fortunately) wasn't hurt, but my mission wasn’t over yet. This was just a… break. I turned back.

The room wasn’t very small. It seemed like a suite, actually. And it was clean too, like someone just moved out. There was a small hint of a cigarette smell. The previous user was a smoker, I concluded as I wrinkled my nose. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the bathroom, which was clean too, but I refrained from using because it would be too dangerous, after all.

It would be lucky if both of use caught each other at the same time. Sometimes, because of missions, we might be delayed and not be able to make it in time. Spies weren’t supposed to date in the first place, anyway. It was just a straight rule that everyone was supposed to follow. We found our way around it though.

He and I would assign a time (or times if our missions would run longer than a day, and we’d check each other’s locations at that point and then call the number of that location. Like if it was a house (an empty one, of course), we’d find out the number of the house—we could find out that easily because out secret service’s database was large. Information could be accessible because we were both top spies.

The telephone was in the centre of the room, and there was a window behind it. I walked across the room silently, and drew the curtains close. Even though I knew no one would be around at this time, it didn’t hurt to be careful. I checked the time again.

03:59.

One minute left. This time I’d call, because if he called me first I would be discovered since the ring would probably be really loud. Checking the number again, I looked around carefully before dialing it. He picked up on the first ring. I smiled instantly.

His voice sounded raspy and pained, like he was hurt. “… Miyoung…” He said, careful not to use my spy name because, like I said, we couldn’t afford to be discovered. My heart ached for two reasons… one, because I had finally heard his voice after three days of unsuccessful callings; and two, because he sounded hurt.

“Hyukjae, are you okay? You sound hurt. My mission’s almost over, I just need to get back to the headquarters and hand them the information. I could ask for a break since I’ve been on this for a while.” I found myself rattling on, extremely concerned about his situation.

I’m… fine… I just—

“No Hyukjae, I know you’re not fine so tell me, because I want to know. You have to tell me things, Hyukjae, because I… need to know. Please, Hyukjae, do this for me…” I pleaded, tears about to fall from my eyes out of sheer despair.

… I-I got… stabbed… in my… stomach… But I’m okay now… At least… better than before… Don’t… worry about me… Miyoung… Get back to the HQ… quickly.” His words struck me hard, and I touched my hand over my stomach, as if I could feel his pain.

“Hyuk… What can I do to get me to you? I can’t leave you like that… Not when you’re stabbed. You ask me not to worry, how can I not?” I bit my lip, disallowing myself from saying anything more, for fear that my voice would break, giving it away that I was crying—I didn’t want him to worry.

I’ll… be back soon… I promise… I love you, Miyoung. Remember… that…

“I know. I know you do. I love you too… I love you so much, Hyukjae. Keep your promise. I want you to come back… alive.” I sniffed, not realizing that I had given away the fact that I was crying.

Miyoung-ah… Don’t cry” were the last words I heard before the line got cut off, and all I heard was a beeping sound. Lightning flashed. Thunder rumbled. Rain fell.

04:03.

And I was off.

****

When I arrived back at the headquarters to report to my boss, I was greeted with many sad faces. I looked at all of them, confused. Why were they so upset?

Yoona walked up to me and looked at me closely. “Agent H is dead, Tiffany.”

Dead.

Hyukjae made a promise to me that he couldn’t keep. He probably knew he was going to die and wouldn’t make it but he didn’t want to tell me. Maybe it wasn’t the rain that caused the phone call to get cut off. Maybe… just maybe, he hung up on me—for the first time ever.

I closed my eyes shut, and felt myself falling backwards into darkness. The last thing I thought before I lost consciousness was the words I had asked him.

What can I do to get me to you?