FOUR

JOY
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Well, Mr. Choi and Mr. Kwon, now that all the legal papers are finished, I think we’re good to go,” Mr. Johns, their consultant from the agency, stood up from his chair. “We’ll just need to run a few tests on Ms. Matthews here and we can start the insemination in a couple of weeks.”

The past few months have been a series of flights and international phone calls to and from the agency. At first, they were against the fact that they decided to use the surrogate’s eggs.

“It’s against the policy,” they said. “You need to find another egg donor.”

But Jiyong and Seunghyun insisted. They loved June, and after a few more phone calls and meetings, the agency finally backed down, but not before requesting a statement relieving them in case the surrogate mother decides to run away with the baby.

Now they were in the final stages of the process and they couldn’t be happier.

“Now,” Mr. Johns continued, rounding the desk and leaning on the edge. “Have you decided whose you’re going to use?”

Jiyong and Seunghyun looked at each other with huge smiles on their faces. They had discussed this months ago.

 

“Apparently, we have to choose who the donor will be,” Seunghyun said, squinting his eyes behind his glasses as he read the small font on the computer screen.

“I vote you,” Jiyong said immediately.

“Why me?”

“Because I want our kids to be as handsome as you,” Jiyong answered dreamily.

Seunghyun snorted. “But what if it’s a girl?”

“It would be perfect!” Jiyong gushed. “I’ve always wanted a baby girl.”

“I know that. That’s why I’m saying we should use yours,” Seunghyun shrugged. “Because I want her to be as pretty as her daddy,” he said, getting up and placing a wet kiss on Jiyong’s cheek. Jiyong shrieked and tried to get away but Seunghyun wrapped his arms tightly around his chest. “And I’m going to love her just as much as I love you.”

“Let me go, you giant cheeseball,” Jiyong said, cringing in his hyung’s grip. “Stop being so cheesy!”

“You know you like it,” Seunghyun teased.

“No comment,” Jiyong said as he gently removed himself from Seunghyun’s embrace. He looked at the computer screen to continue reading what Seunghyun had abandoned. “It says here that some couples choose to mix their and let it be a surprise who the father is.”

Seunghyun shook his head. “Nope. I’m not taking any chances.”

“Oh come on,” Jiyong pleaded. “It won’t be that bad.”

“Have you forgotten what I look like when I wear a wig? Or do I need to remind you?”

Jiyong bit his lip to hold in the giggle that was threatening to spill out from between his lips. “Please remind me.”

 

“We’re going to choose Jiyong’s,” Seunghyun said.

“Great,” Mr. Johns clapped his hands once. “We’re going to need a sample from you for some tests and in a couple of weeks we will need Mr. Kwon back here for the insemination. Can you make it?”

The couple nodded.

“Awesome. We will get back to you as soon as we get Ms. Matthews’s and Mr. Kwon’s test results.”

 

2016:

 

January:

“It’s finally happening!” Jiyong squealed as he gripped Seunghyun’s hand tightly in his own. “We’re finally going to have a baby!”

Seunghyun was thrilled at hearing Jiyong’s excited voice and seeing his eyes glimmer with happiness. He squeezed back and hugged Jiyong closer. They were at the clinic waiting room, where the doctor had told them to stay until they are done with the procedure. “It won’t take long,” the doctor had said. “Just for a few minutes.” The doctors had gathered a sample from Jiyong earlier that day and now it was June’s turn.

“I hope it’s a girl,” Jiyong whispered, leaning on his husband’s shoulder.

Seunghyun chuckled and looked at the top of Jiyong’s head, “I thought you said it didn’t matter.”

“It doesn’t,” Jiyong said, “but I still hope it’s a baby girl. She’s going to be our little princess. I could take her with me to fashion shows! I always meet women who bring their daughters with them and I’ve always been a bit jealous of them.”

“But then you and her will gang up on me,” Seunghyun whined. “In that case, I hope it’s a boy,” Seunghyun huffed, earning a slap on the chest from Jiyong.

“Admit it. You want a girl too,” Jiyong teased.

“But I already have a princess in my life,” Seunghyun protested.

“Hey! I thought I was a queen,” Jiyong exclaimed in mock offense, looking up and catching Seunghyun’s eye. They both laughed and held each other even tighter; their hands still intertwined in Jiyong’s lap. At that point, the doctor walked in to inform them that all had gone well and that they will find out whether or not June’s pregnant in a couple of weeks.

Now all they had to do was wait.

 

February:

 

“I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news,” Mr. Johns’s voice floated through the phone speaker, “but I’m afraid this attempt also failed.”

Seunghyun tried not to let his disappointment show as he thanked the man and hung up. Jiyong, who was sitting behind him on the couch, slumped, his head resting on the back of the cushion.

“This is the second time it failed hyung.” Jiyong’s sad voice made Seunghyun’s heart hurt. He tried to cheer him up.

“You know what they say. Third time’s the charm,” he said, trying to keep his voice cheerful. But this statement only caused Jiyong to sink further down into the cushion.

“What if it’s me hyung? What if the problem is with my ?”

“No it’s not,” Seunghyun reassured him. “If there was they would’ve told you from the beginning when they tested it.”

When Jiyong’s gloomy expression didn’t leave him, Seunghyun cupped his face between hands.

“Hey,” he whispered softly. “These things take time. Pregnancy doesn’t always happen on the first time or second time or even third time. You have to have faith, Jiyong.”

“But hyung—”

Seunghyun covered Jiyong’s lips with his fingers. “Nope. I’m not gonna hear it.”

Jiyong pouted against his fingers and Seunghyun couldn’t help but chuckle. He pulled Jiyong to his chest, wrapping firm arms around him. “I know it’s hard,” he said softly, carding his fingers through his husband’s hair, “but we have to keep trying, Jiyong. Just imagine how you would feel when you finally hold your baby—our baby—in your arms for the first time. How you would feed her and tuck her into bed. Read her a bedtime story. Play in the park with her.”

Jiyong sniffed in his arms. “I can imagine you feeding her ice cream behind my back.”

Seunghyun laughed. “That is possibl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter