Stupid and Blind

A little too late

She was sobbing so hard. It hurts so bad that she began to punch her chest, thinking that physical pain is much better than emotional. She wanted to die, to vanish into thin air but she couldn’t take her life. She was feeling so alone, until someone came and tends her aching heart.

Hey miss, what happened? Why are you in this state in the middle of the night…. Alone?” The young man asks her. She couldn’t utter a word.

“Hey… are you… abuse? Please talk to me” The young man pleaded. But as soon as she tried to speak her vision got blurred and everything went blank.

When Areum woke up the first thing she saw is the plain white ceiling and when she roam her eyes she all she saw is a typical bedroom with a study table, TV, cabinets and so on. However, she can tell that this is a guy’s room for it’s simplicity and the ironman figures standing beside the book rack. She had random thoughts, “Why is she here?” Whose room is this?” And her thoughts had been stopped when a young man came in.

“Oh.. You’re awake. Thank the heavens.” Then the latter flash his comforting smile to Areum.

“Can you tell me what happened to you? Why were you alone on the streets and sobbing so hard? Please… Let me help you.” He continued. Now Areum remembered what happened. Her bestfriend who happens to be her one and only love got his love back and she is left alone… Broken.

“Ahhm… I… Who are you?” Areum failed to tell the man what happened and just return a question.

“Hahahaha! Right, my name is Kim Junmyeon but you can call me Suho. And you passed out and I don’t know your address so I take you here at my home instead. Sorry. And you are?” The man amusedly explained.

“Oww, no need to be sorry. I am the one who should be sorry for troubling you and thanks for helping me. My name is Lee Areum.” Areum replied.

“So… Can you tell me? I promise I’m a good person and you can trust me. Your parents probably taught you not to talk to strangers but you know my name and I can give you my home address, number, identification numbers and everything you need.” Suho said trying to persuade Areum to open up.

“Hahaha, Why are so persistent on hearing my story? or perhaps, helping ,me?” For the first time after her troubles with Jongin she laugh truthfully.

“Wow, smile more you’re much more prettier when you do. And I don’t know too, as soon as I saw you on the streets on that state I want to help you… I want to protect you? Creepy, right?” Suho explained shyly and Areum flushed red.

“A bit.. but I guess I can tell you? Here it goes… as corny as it seems I have a bestfriend for 8 years and I… fall inlove with him. I did everything to make him happy, I support him in every way I could even in courting. I am the perfect bestfriend according to him… and sad to say, that’s all I could be to him.” Areum explained sadly. And for a moment Suho regrets asking her to tell him because hurt is inevitably written on her pretty face.

“Then… have you told him?” Suho ask anyway.

“I was about to, because recently his girlfriend broke up with him and he ask me to help him forget and I did. But last night… they got back together and I knew I didn’t stand a chance. Right?” Areum  smiled but sadness is all over her.

“Hmm.. Don’t be sad anymore. Let me help you, okay?” Suho tried to cheer her up.

“How?” Areum ask.

“Well, avoid him for now and have fun with somebody else. I bet you spend almost 8 years of your life revolving around him so get a life and give yourself a chance to be happy.” Suho explained.

“And who am hanging out with? Jongin is my only close friend.” Areum ask sadly.

That’s what I’m here for, Areum.” Suho said with his charming smile.

“Okay?” Areum hesitantly approved.

 

Two weeks had passed, Areum and Suho bond almost every day, even if Areum is too lazy to come out and have fun Suho would popped in her apartment door with pizza and movie to spend time with her. Areum once again smiled and she successfully ignore the fact that she paid less attention to Jongin, when the latter called her she would say she’s too busy and she gotta go. Areum is happy right now and it’s all thanks to Suho.

“Hey, beautiful. Let’s go to the amusement park!” Suho amusedly greeted Areum once Areum opened her door.

Hey, creep! You have the habit of popping into my front door, don’t you?” Areum replied amusedly.

“Yaah! Who’s the creep? And yes I do, because if I don’t you’ll stay here and watch dramas all day, considering you’re a lazy person.” Suho .

“Why are you so mean? No! I won’t go with you. Bye.” Areum played along and  tried to close the door.

“Wait! I’m sorry, okay? Please go out with me.” And Suho used his cute puppy face.

“Oh please stop it! Alright, be ready in 5 minutes.” Areum surrendered.

“Yaaaas!” Suho jumped in triumph.

 

When they are at the amusement park, Suho can’t help but to look at Areum once and a while, she’s wearing her floral dress and sneakers with her long hair tied into a messy bun. She’s so beautiful and Suho loved everything about her.

“Hey Mr, why do you keep on looking? Do I look ugly?” Areum wondered.

“No! you’re so beautifu I can’t keep my eyes off of you.” Suho slipped and he is embarrassed.

“Oh… really? Thanks.” Areum thank him with her scarlet cheeks.

“Hey… Areum, listen. I want to tell you something.” Suho seriously stated.

“Yeah?” Areum replied.

“I know it’s too soon but the moment I saw you on the streets approximately 3 weeks ago…. I know I like you and as the days passed by my feelings grew. I love how you love selflessly, your smiles, laughter, how you tied your hair in a messy bun, how you always like weariing sneakers even with a dress, how you cried with a sad movie ending, how you enjoy sipping your coffee… I love everything about you and I may not be like your bestfriend but can you please let me in your heart and I’ll try my best for you to love me?” Suho nerviously asks in the middle of the amusement park. And Areum ‘s mouth is hanging open, surprised with Suho’s confession.

“Well…Say something?” Suho pleaded.

“Junmyeon I… I am so thankful to you, if it weren’t for you I would probably still in a bad state. I must admit that in almost 3 weeks you made my wounds heal bit by bit and I finally smile and laugh truthfully. You bring the best out of me… and I don’t know if I can love you the way you love me but… I am sure of one thing. I like you, Junmyeon. And yes, you can come into my heart.” Areum answered and Suho’s smile never falter. Suho is so happy you can see some sparkling tears from his eyes.

“Hey!! Don’t cry! I didn’t reject you, why are you crying?” Areum ask in panic.

“Its tears of joy, thank you! Thank you! I love you! I’ll be the best boyfriend ever!” Junmyeon carried Areum and go round in circles like a mad man.

“Hey put me down! It’s embarrassing!” Areum drowned in shame.

“I don’t care! I’m so lucky to have you! EVERYONE SHE SAID YES! SHE’S MINE NOW! YIPEEE!” Suho shout in joy.

Hey quit it! Everybody’s looking.” Areum pleaded and Junmyeon put her down and peck her lips. Areum is left dumbfounded.

“Hy..Yaah! What did you do?” Areum ask.

“I kissed my girlfriend, why?” Suho ask in amusement.

“You stole my first kiss! You ert!” And Areum punch Suho in the shoulder.

Wooooah! I am my girlfriend’s first kiss. Don’t worry I’ll also be your last.” Suho said and then wink.

 

And they spent the entire day having fun. While Areum is enjoying happiness, another soul is having a hard time. It’s none other than, Kai. Since he got back with his girlfriend everything s such a mess, they always fight and make up. It’s an unending process and he’s so tired of it. He needs his bestfriend but she is so busy right now. He missed her, her comforting words, being around her. Everything. He realized that her bestfriend is everything he ask for a girl friend, she is perfect. He liked her… but he is scared to lose the friendship they had. But is it too late now? He wants to break up with his girlfriend and be with his perfect girl once again. He must tell her what he feels but first off all, he must break up with his girlfriend and so he called her.

“Hi babe! Why did you ask me to come here? Why in a coffee shop? You can just drop by at my pad.” His girlfriend greeted him.

“I have to tell you something.” He told her.

“Hey.. Why so serious, okay what is it?” She asks.

“Let’s…. Break up.” Kai confessed.

“What?” She is bewildered.

“I said, let’s break up. Everything’s a mess between us and we can’t fix it anymore. It’s been a cycle. We’re not healthy for each other.” Kai explained.

His girlfriend stands and pours her glass of water to Kai and then she said, “Farewell.” Although, there parting is not good, Jongin felt so much better and she is now ready to go and bring back his happiness, Areum.

“Hey Jongin, it’s been awhile huh?” Areum said to Jongin on the phone.

Yeah, you are too busy, by the way can we meet? I miss you” Jongin happily ask.

“Today?” Areum ask.

”Yeah, or if you want I could just go to your home.” Jongin offered.

“Ahh, let’s just meet somewhere.” Areum says.

Okay? Oh right! There’s a restobar that my friend has, it’s the opening day! Let’s meet their, I’ll text you the address?” Jongin wondered why Areum refuse to let him go to her home but he shrugged the thought.

“Alright, see you Jonginnie!” Areum says and hang up.

6:00 PM

Jongin is very excited, finally.. After 1 full month he could see his lovely bestfriend. He sat ad waited for Areum. Tonight, he’ll tell her that he ended his foolish relationship and that he loves her. His thoughts were disturb when he sees Areum coming over to him.

“Hey” Kai greeted.

“Yo, am I late? Sorry.” Areum apologised.

“No, you are just in time.” Kai smiled.

“So… your friend owned this?” Areum ask.

“Yeah, his name is..” Kai’s got cut when somebody came to them.

“Hey, Areum?” Suho ask.

“Hi” Areum greeted him and he sat next to her.

“Hey, you didn’t tell me you’ll come” Suho says with his dashing smile.

“You know each other?” Kai ask them.

Ohh, Kai! Hey man, thanks for coming!” Suho is surprised to see one of his close friends.

“Yeah, so you know Areum?” Kai ask again.

“Ah, yes ofcourse. You know her too?” Suho ask.

Yes, she’s my bestfriend.” Kai stated and Suho can’t believed it, Areum’s beloved bestfriend is one of his best pal. The one who broke his girlfriend’s heart is Kai. Areum just remained silent.

“Ah, I see.” Suho replied shortly then smile. He looked at Areum and under the table, he hold her hand tightly signalling that everything would be okay, then Areum look at him and smiled.

How did you meet her?” Kai ask out of confusion.

“Well, you see. I was strolling the streets one fine night when I saw her there, alone and sad. I instantly thought of helping her, but she collapsed and there our story begins. We became close and remember last week when I told you guys that I finally found my destiny?” Suho explained and ask Jongin.

So.. she…is the one you’ve been talking about?” Kai can’t believe it and it ripped his heart.

“Yes.” Suho proudly confirmed and he looked at Areum sweetly.

Jongin looked down and smile bitterly. The pain he felt is beyond his control but he can’t let it show, how could he go between his bestfriend and his best pal’s relationship? Then Areum spoke.

“Jonginnie…why do you want to see me? Is there something wrong? Do you have any problems with her again?” Areum carefully ask.

No, there is none. We’re okay. I just missed my bestfriend so much. Why. Can’t I see you now that you have a boyfriend?” Kai lied.

Ow, I didn’t mean that, I’m just worried.” Areum says.

“I know, and I thank you for that.” Kai says with his pretentious smile.

Hey, man. Why don’t you sing a song? Our entertainer is running late. Please bring some spirit to my place.” Suho pleaded.

“Well, I don’t know.” Kai hesitates.

Yeah, go Jongin.” Areum cheered on.

Well, how could I say no to my princess?” Kai says with a bitter smile.

 

And he stood up and went to the stage and began to sing.

Eyes looking at each other
Eyes looking at each other
One pair of remaining eyes

Oh you really look happy, you look happy
When I see you, so beautiful that it’s sad
I don’t hate him, I don’t hate him
Because he makes you smile like an angel

(Oh oh yeah) Words that became a secret before I said them
(Oh oh yeah) That’s why I wasn’t for you

The two eyes looking at each other
The one remaining pair of eyes, the lost eyes
The two eyes, tightly shut
The eyes that are too late, the eyes that lost you
I’m becoming more and more sorry, looking at you with these kinds of feelings
Eyes looking at each other
One pair of remaining eyes, eyes that have lost its way

I made a big mistake, I made a mistake
The dream that grew inside of me
Was that time would bring you to me like the wind

(Oh oh yeah) White words that filled up a white canvas
(Oh oh yeah) I guess I saved it up too much

Now I need to keep you inside my drawer forever
But can I take you out sometimes?
Even if my heart that longs for you becomes a small star
At least from far away, at least in my heart
I will warmly shine on you

The two eyes looking at each other
The one remaining pair of eyes, the lost eyes
The two eyes, tightly shut (two eyes tightly shut)
The eyes that are too late, the eyes that lost you
I’m becoming more and more sorry, looking at you with these kinds of feelings (my heart looking at you)
Eyes looking at each other (Girl I’m missing you)
One pair of remaining eyes, eyes that have lost its way

What if it was me
The eyes that are looking at you inside your eyes (looking at you)
What if it was me
The eyes that are looking at you inside your eyes"


 

All throughout the song Jongin is looking at Areum and he realized how stupid he is not to recognized his own heart earlier, how could he let his cowardness be inline. Now, he can’t do anything for she belongs to someone else already. How he wish he is the center of her attention again. Those eyes that were once looking at him and only him.

When the song ended, he decided to go for he can no longer see her happy… But not with him. He then bid farewell to his princess. When he is outside, Suho called out to him.

Kai, wait!” Suho called out.

Yeah?” Kai ask.

“I would just like to say, thank you.” Suho says.

For what?” Kai ask confusedly.

“For breaking Areum’s heart.” Suho stated, seriously.

“What?” Kai is so puzzled.

She was once yours, Kai. She became the perfect girl for you, but you are too blind to see that. And you broke her heart, and that’s when I came into her life and mend her wounds. Thanks and sorry, bro. I know you love her too, I heard from Sehun that you broke up with your girl and I also know that the song you just sang is for her. But I can’t let her go now.” Suho says.

Just… take good care of her. Give her the love that I fail to give.” Then Kai starts walking away. His tears involuntarily fall from his face.

“I am the biggest and stupidest person in the entire world. How could I not see it? How could I be so naïve? I could’ve have her but I neglect that fact. She was once mine but I took it for granted. I used to be her everything but I made her feel like nothing. I don’t deserve her. I’d hurt her. I hate myself. Please be happy, my princess.”

END

“ Don’t wait until it’s too late” 6 simple words but so meaningful. In life, we must be mindful of the people that is truly worth it, because you might be the sun to other’s life, you just didn’t know. Don’t be stupid and blind to see what really matters.