Room for Adjustment

Conflicted

Taehyung was comfortably lounging on his couch with his laptop in his hands, online shopping for clothes and furniture for his new housemate. He was just about to click the ‘order’ button for really nice lamp when someone began furiously ringing his doorbell. He confusedly got up from his shopping and went to answer it. I wonder who it—

“Yah! Kim Taehyung, get your over here now!” Wuh-oh. That was none other than the voice of a very irritated Jeon Jungkook. He’d forgotten the man had his address. Slowly, he stood behind one of the large doors and inched it open. A breeze of black hair and cologne zipped past the threshold and glared at Taehyung in the face. Again, Taehyung thought the look was too attractive to find it scary.

“Hey, Jungkook—”

“Do you realize what time it is?! You never showed up for work, you should have been there three hours ago!” He threw up his arms to emphasize his exasperation and only then did Taehyung grasp the gravity of the situation, “Why did I get stuck with such a knucklehead boss that can’t even keep up with his own schedule, I’d be a better manager!” Ouch, that stung a bit, but Taehyung knew he didn’t actually mean that and was just venting out his frustration. Quite loudly, though.

“Jungkook-ah,” he spoke in a whisper and the other looked at him incredulously, “Please don’t yell, I was taking care of a friend!”

“Oh and now you have the audacity to lie to me?! What will I do with you, I should report you to the CEO!” Geez, this was totally opposite of the Jeon Jungkook that had skipped out of his office the first day he met him. This Jungkook looked like he was ready to bite his head off.

“Don’t yell, you’ll wake him up!” He was talking in a raised whisper, several decibels softer that his PA.

“Well show me this friend then, and why taking care of them would be more important than coming to work! You know we have that big meeting with the Lee Corporation at six!” Just then, Taehyung’s bedroom door slammed open, studding both of the men in the living room into silence as they stared in that direction. A fatigued Jimin stumbled agitatedly out of the room and, squinting from the bright light still managed to glare at the intruder.

“See! Look, I told you you’d wake him!” Now Taehyung was a bit heated.

“Well it’s not my fault! I didn’t know you weren’t lying!”

“I told you before that I wasn’t!”

“Well maybe if you had called in—”

“Would you both. Please. Stop it already?!” the short man yelled louder than the two of them and they faced him once again. Taehyung want to his side and placed a hand on his shoulder.

“Jimin-ah, I’m sorry. This is Jungkook, my PA,” he politely introduced the impolite man who greeted Jimin with nothing more than a raise of his hand. Jimin spoke to him.

“Well then, nice to meet you Jungkook-ssi, now could you please shut up so I can get back to sleep?” Taehyung’s eyes widened. He’s never heard Jimin so… feisty. Jungkook seemed flabbergasted.

“How dare he talk to me like that and we just met! Taehyung control your pet!”

“Hey! He’s not a pet! And in his defense, you did wake him up with your yelling…” Taehyung threw a protective arm around Jimin and the latter rested is head on his shoulder and closed his eyes, already falling right back to sleep standing right there in the living room.

“Whatever. Just make sure you’re at work before six for that conference!” Jungkook spat and with one final slam of the front door he was gone. Taehyung looked down at the person falling asleep on him and shook him slightly. The other groaned and furrowed his eyebrows, disliking his sleep being disrupted again.

“Hehe, I guess you get pretty cranky when woken up, huh?” Jimin barely nodded in response, and his next move surprised Taehyung greatly. Jimin wrapped his arms around the executive’s torso and buried his face into his chest, sighing in contentment with his new position. It wasn’t his fault, Jimin was always a naturally affectionate person, even more so when he’s tired. Taehyung cleared his throat in unease but the other didn’t budge. He mumbled into the taller man’s shirt.

“Sorry I was mean to your friend, but… he ,” Taehyung chuckled. Even if he was insulting his crush, he couldn’t deny that he sounded absolutely sweet whilst doing it. Jimin’s soft voice was even more prevalent when he spoke sleepily. But alas, sweet voice or not, Jimin and Jungkook clashed. If only Jimin knew how wonderful Jungkook really was when he wasn’t angry. Oh well, he thought he’d save that explanation for another day.

“That’s okay… but hey, you should get back to bed now though, alright? You’re still sleepy,” Obviously. Taehyung didn’t get any response to that, so he looked down and saw Jimin’s eyes still closed. Had he really fallen asleep aga—

Jimin’s sudden snoring answered that question. With a soft smile, Taehyung easily hauled Jimin up in his arms and walked him back to the bedroom. Stumbling a bit over all his clutter, he finally deposited the small man back onto his bed where he then unconsciously snuggled deep into the sheets and clutched his pillow tightly. Taehyung doubted even Jungkook could look so adorable.

Wait, what? Taehyung shook his head quickly to clear that last thought and padded back into the living room to continue ordering clothes for the totally not all that adorable man he was now living with. Jimin had to be dressed nicely to come to work with him at six, didn’t he? He made a mental note to place Jimin in a department as far away from his PA as possible. It was only ten in the morning; he had tons of time to think about where that would be.

o-o-o-o-o-o-o

Sometime later, Taehyung had just ordered the last item for Jimin and paid the extra fee for speedy delivery. A truckload of furniture and another of clothes would be here in two days for his new friend. He dusted his hands in accomplishment and checked the time. Wow, how had three hours passed? He realized that he hadn’t eaten since breakfast and placed a hand on his gurgling stomach. And then another though came to mind.

Jimin was sat the park since ten last night, had he even eaten breakfast? Oh , probably not, he thought. He hurriedly skidded to his room and cracked the door. Jimin was still asleep, maybe he could prepare them something before he woke up?

He got off the couch and stretched, scratching his lower back as he meandered into his kitchen. He should have been less shocked to see the state it was in: bowls of what probably used to be soup set atop counters with stuff that was probably not soup anymore in them, noodles still stuck to the wall from that time he tried to make spaghetti two weeks ago, spilled glasses of juices and milk left to make the floor sticky and gather bacteria. He only just became conscious of the messy state of his entire house when Jimin suddenly became a part of it, and to think he invited him to wallow in this filth with him? Geez, Taehyung just hoped Jimin didn’t have to use the bathroom any time soon…

Ignoring the worst parts of the mess and cleaning up a few of the little things, Taehyung started trying to improvise some kind of meal. He checked is fridge and his pantry and saw he actually still had large quantities of food he never touched. He’d usually just ordered takeout.

Ah geez, what to do? He didn’t want Jimin to have to eat some cheap takeout food on his first day here, he was determined to cook him something himself, something actually good. But that’s when Taehyung realized the very reason he always ordered take out: He couldn’t cook for .

“Ah dammit!” he outwardly cursed himself for his incompetence. He lived on his own and he was now a big-shot business executive, and he couldn’t even cook a simple meal? Maybe he could order from some really fancy place and tell Jimin he made it—

“Taehyung?” suddenly that sweet voice called his name and the man abruptly turned around, bracing his hands on the counter behind him with wide eyes, as if he’d just been caught doing something wrong. Jimin giggled at the odd sight and (thankfully) ignoring the whirlwind kitchen mess, made his way over to his housemate, “Thanks for letting me nap for a bit,” Taehyung nodded in response and Jimin stood on his tiptoes to peer over the other’s shoulders, “Watcha doin’?” Man, did he want Taehyung to melt? He should stop saying such cute things with that voice of his.

“Uhmm, I was actually trying to find food for us…” he dropped his arms to his sides and looked to the floor, disappointed in himself for his lack of cooking skills.

“Well you seem to have a lot to me, what would you be trying to find?” Jimin blinked up at him innocently, still standing a bit too close to Taehyung for comfort.

“Hey, Jimin, how about you go watch TV or something while I cook something, eh?” Jimin hadn’t known Taehyung for long, but anyone could tell from the other’s shifting eyes and tapping of his fingers that Taehyung was hiding something. It also didn’t take a genius to figure out what that something was.

“You don’t know how to cook, do you?” He put it out there with a knowing smirk and the other man’s orange bangs flopped over his eyes when he hung his head in guilt.

“No, I don’t… but would you be able to by any chance?” He looked up again in slight hope only to see the tiny male shrug his shoulders and pout.

“Nope, but how about we try together?” Now there’s an idea. Two people who don’t know how to cook trying to make a meal… well, two negatives make a positive in multiplication, right?

“Sure, why not?”

And that’s when chaos ensued.

After an hour of coating the kitchen in a healthy layer of sauce and rice, Taehyung ended up ordering food for them anyway. Jimin was still trying to salvage what little amount of anything edible there was left in the pot while Taehyung had given up practically ages ago; he’d gone to sit on the couch and watch TV, and Jimin had never even noticed he left. His tongue was still pinched between his lips and his brows still pressed together in concentration. Taehyung thought all the other needed was a frilly pink apron to complete the look.

The doorbell rang and Taehyung thanked the delivery man, tipping him a little bit extra and walking the food into the living room. He unpacked the different containers and set out the different meals respectively before calling Jimin from the kitchen.

“But I think I got something!” the short man argued. Taehyung rolled his eyes and went and retrieved him from the kitchen himself, and quite literally, too. He had picked Jimin up and tossed him over his shoulder, fireman style and laughed while the other squealed in displeasure. “Yah, put me down, Taehyung-ah!” And he did just that, dropping him down head first onto the cushy sofa. Jimin sat up and scowled, “You’re not funny, you messed up my hair!”

His house mate chuckled and even though Jimin still had bedhead and his hair was already ruined, he reached over and ran a few fingers through it anyway, smoothing it down, “I got us food, I hope you like what I picked.”

Surveying the different dishes placed out in front of him, Jimin concluded that yes, he did in fact like these things. He didn’t vocally respond, but Taehyung supposed it was a yes anyway when the other quickly began scarfing down everything in front of him. Man, did this guy have an appetite…

After eating and Jimin demanding Taehyung help him clean up the mess, it was almost five and time to get ready for work. The clothes Taehyung had ordered for Jimin wouldn’t come for another two days, so he instructed the shorter to go take a shower while he tried to find some of his clothes that might fit him. Finally, after much sorting and giving a certain call to the office, the two were sat in Taehyung’s car on their way to work, Jimin clad rather nicely in a white dress shirt and slightly too long slacks.


A/N: Heyy, guess who's not dead? Hehe, so I am back on my old computer, it's not in peachy perfect contidion, but it'll do until I can get a new one. You guys deserve a gold medal for subscribing to this and being so patient, thanks so much! Now, back to the regular weekly updates for this, and I'll also stop being a lazy- and actually resume updating my other fics, too. 

As usual, please comment, upvote, subcribe, sing a song, fly a plane, whatever ya wanna do :)

Later my darlings~~