Chapter Two

Pills
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He stares at the pills in his hands for awhile. In most cases, all prescribed medicines should have a name on it, but the one Hyunseung is holding does not say anything at all. He straightens his back and looks ahead, but he can only see unfamiliar faces around him. He considers to look for her, hoping she did not get too far or leave the campus yet, but once his phone goes off, Hyunseung changes his mind.

 

“Junhyung?” He says the name pensively.

 

“Hey, are you out of school yet?” Junhyung sounds rather calm on the other side.

 

“Mhm, I was just starting to head to the shuttle bus.” Hyunseung stares at the container tightly gripped in his hand. “I still have that one thing to talk to you about from yesterday.”

 

“It will be a waste of time to call you if you did not say anything."

 

Throughout the rest of the day, Hyunseung eagerly tells Junhyung about his encounter with his uncanny classmate. He expressed how curious he was about her, but also expressed how uncomfortable it was to see the quietness she uncovers.

 

"That is quite a vague way to put it. People have their personal reasons to cut ties with those around them is what I mean."

 

Hyunseung sighs upon hearing what Junhyung had said. "I did not mean to say it as if it was bad to be an introvert. It just seems off compared to the other quiet people in my class."

 

Hyunseung lays on his bed restlessly and the image of her hiding her face came into his mind. "She dropped a container of pills when I accidentally bumped into her after class had ended."

 

"You should have told me her name then. There should be a name on the case, right?"

 

"That is what throws me off. When I came over to pick it up there was no label placed." Hyunseung covers his eyes with his arm to block the sunlight from shining so brightly through the windows. "It has only been the second day and I still have yet to know her name. No one in class calls out for her so it seems she is not close with anyone in there."

 

"Since you have one of her belongings then it will give you a chance to speak to her."

 

"You are right, but that is if I see her tomorrow."

 

"You really are the most positive person I have met." Junhyung finally breaks the serious conversation by laughing.

 

"I hate you." Hyunseung fails to hold in his soft laughter and cracks a smile on his face beneath the blinding lights.

The two end their call earlier than yesterday because Junhyung could not hold in his yawns. He seemed pretty tired according to Hyunseung and the way he was speaking sounded very much weary. On the other hand, Hyunseung still has time to spare since it is still early in the afternoon. He does not know how he will spend the rest of his day though since the professor did not assign any homework, but that should be a good thing.

 

His backpack was sitting beside his bed and Hyunseung remembers receiving information about a student gathering. It happened during the middle of the first short movie the teacher played for the class. Someone who sat behind him, if Hyunseung recalls his name, asked if he was interested to come and wrote down the time and location as to where it will take place. A flyer would have been easier, but it seemed like he forgot them back at his dorm.

 

Hyunseung finds the paper crumpled at the very bottom of his backpack. As he pulls it out, he tries to unwrinkle it until the handwritten words were readable again.

 

“Hiraeth Café from 5PM to 7PM

You may come earlier to help set up for the event.”

 

Hyunseung stares at the piece of paper in his hands and wonders if it is worth the time to attend. The little bistro is only half a mile away from the school, but the thought of having to converse with people makes him quite anxious. Even when he was the one to receive the information from his classmate, Hyunseung had his clammy hands clutched together. He exhales loudly and falls onto his back until the surrounding soft cushion touches every edge of his body.

 

“This is your chance to make friends.” Hyunseung whispers to himself and the thought of the girl comes across his mind yet another time. He might have just found something they have in common—having trouble making friends.

 

There are some people who are carrying in snacks inside the vacant café. Clueless, Hyunseung stands still at the front and peers into the mirrored windows from afar. It is not long until he hears someone calling his name from the distance.

 

“Hyunseung!” It is the same person that gave him the information about the gathering. Hyunseung furrows his eyes unintentionally while trying to remember what his name was. “Are you okay? You look angry at me.”

 

“Sorry! I am not angry at you at all.” Hyunseung scratches his neck while realizing that his facial expression gave the wrong idea. “I was trying to remember what your name was.”

 

His stupid confession brings his classmate to a loud laughter. “The name is Yoseob.”

 

“I did not offer any help for you now that I see you are trying to carry so many things at once. That was very rude of me.” Hyunseung reaches out his arms and brings in the two large boxes that were sitting on the dark saturated ground. He follows Yoseob inside and becomes instantly amazed of how simple and elegant the interior was. The tables are made of nice crystal glass and there are some cushion chairs that are connected with each other, resembling a black linen sofa.

 

“I am so happy you are able to come to the gathering.”

 

The random statement makes Hyunseung fluster his words with a tint of pink shading both sides of his cheeks. “Thank you for inviting me yourself. Is this gathering for everyone at the school?”

 

“It is mostly those who are majoring in music, but anyone can come join too.” Yoseob opens a box that has a sticker saying “FRAGILE” written boldly on the top along with the address of the café.

 

“You are majoring in music as well?” Hyunseung gives a helping hand and carefully places the ceramic bowls and cups onto the table.

 

Yoseob hums in response and continues on with the topic. “I find it really entertaining to sing with tracks that other people have made. How about you?”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter