Chapter One

Pills
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The seats crowd the diminutive room, barely leaving any space for those to walk through. Everything is so compact, but there is always one section of the room that seems isolated. Scanning the area, the right corner gave a more dismal atmosphere. Oddly enough, that is where she sits. She rarely looks up and does not talk to anybody around her. It is like the desk she is sitting at is far more interesting than anything else which adds to the elusive curiosity.

 

“Hyunseung?” A young professor tilts her head to the side and gestures one of her hands towards the undergraduates. Waiting with slight astonishment, they stare at the fetching figure who was standing by the door.

 

“Oh.” Hyunseung walks to the center of the room and politely bows to the professor and to the undergraduates before introducing himself briefly. “Jang Hyunseung. I am a new transfer student that will be majoring in applied music. I am quite familiar with this school so please treat me like any other.” He bows once more before redirecting his hazel eyes back to where the professor is standing.

 

“It is very nice to have you here, Jang Hyunseung.” She gives him a small smile and walks back to her desk, grabbing a solid black binder with notes about poems. “You can have a seat now.”

 

Hyunseung glances at each row of seats and finds about two or three empty desks. There is not much to choose from considering it is a small lecture room, but he takes his time, finally deciding to sit near the girl he was staring at. Settling into his now recalled seat, Hyunseung takes another glance at her with amazement. She is fiddling with both of her hands nervously, but Hyunseung does not react to it. After a few seconds, he refocuses his attention back to the professor and rests his head on his hand.

 

“We shall start with something easy and that will be learning about the world of poems. If we have time left before class ends, we can go ahead and talk about the different types of poets that have influenced the structure of poems today too.” The professor smiles widely at the topic as if she favored it. She turns on the projector to screen a power point and begins reading a general introduction about poems from the binder. There are times when she would get off topic and read some quotes from her favorite poems to the whole entire class, but it is worth it because it takes time away from the actual lesson.

 

The bell goes off right after the professor finishes rambling about the five different poets which include the most famous ones including Edgar Allan Poe and William Shakespeare. Hyunseung yawns along with the other seniors and noticed the girl that was unusually odd, rushing out of the room while checking her backpack. She really is strange.

 

As Hyunseung is sitting at his desk, he realizes that he had finished one day of school and there are three more days left to finish the week. He sighs heavily while stretching his arms. He continues to sit at his desk until checking the time on his phone. With shock, Hyunseung hastily walks to a shuttle bus to return to his dorm. Upon arrival, he reaches for his earphones from his backpack and quickly plugs it into his phone, checks his contacts and then calls.

 

“Are you asleep?” Hyunseung starts the conversation first.

 

“Do you think I can sleep by now after you left to Korea?” The other side replies to his question and chuckles softly.

 

“Sorry.” Hyunseung relaxes on his bed and blankly stares at the ceiling. The voice that is speaking to him is calming to listen to which brings a smile on his face.

 

“How was your first day?”

 

“It was very nerve-racking. In my introduction, I told the class that I am familiar with the school so they should treat me like any other person they know. That was such a stupid mistake. I do not even have a clue as to where the bathroom is and if someone approaches me tomorrow I have no idea what I am going to do!” Hyunseung grabs a pillow beside him and covers his entire face, feeling absolutely embarrassed from explaining the situation. He can hear laughter through his earphones which cause his ears to turn pink. “It is not funny, Junhyung!”

 

“I know, but I really cannot help it.” His friend, Junhyung, laughs some more before calming down. He is pretty sure Hyunseung is slightly laughing along with him. “Did the professor assign you anything for tonight?”

 

Hyunseung stops laughing and starts to groan at the question. “The professor wants us to write an essay about two poets who we admire and we have to explain why. Quite boring, really. The entire time I was in class, she was just rambling about how much poets influence today.”

 

“Uhh, sounds fun to me.” Junhyung states sarcastically.

 

“You are so funny.” Hyunseung replies back with sarcasm too. “It is getting pretty late over there. You should probably head off to bed now.”

 

“Nine is not that late. I do not mind staying up for another hour or two.”

 

Hyunseung shifts his position to the side and opens his mouth, hesitating to ask Junhyung a question that has popped into his mind. “You should have come with me back to Korea. How come you stayed?”

 

“I like it here in America, Hyunseung. It is not like I dislike Korea or anything, that is not it at all.”

 

Hyunseung then asks Junhyung another straightforward question, but soon regrets it. “Do you not feel homesick?”

 

“I do feel homesick, Hyunseung. I am here and you are across the other border. It sounds really corny, but to bluntly say it, you are my home, Hyunseung.”

 

Hyunseung frowns upon hearing those words and cuddles himself. He knows that Junhyung does not mean that to an intimate extent and only sees him as a friend. “I will come visit you often so no need to worry about that.”

 

“I would say that too, but things are getting hectic over here so I might have to plan a visit for another month or s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter