Childish Promise

Childish Promise

His parents have decided that they were going to move to Korea. It was all so sudden for Yuto. There was nothing that he could do. They've already booked three tickets for tomorrow.

His parents agreed on letting him attend school for half a day, so he can say goodbye to his friends and teachers.

--
Yuto's mother stopped by a nearby convenience store to buy motion sickness medicine.

"Yuto, let's go" his mother said to him.

He noticed the toy vending machines. He took out two coins and bought two toys. He stuck the toys in his coat pocket.

--
Later on that day. . . - School Playground

"Yuto, what's wrong? You don't look so happy" Mariya sat on the swing next to his.

"Mariya, I'm leaving" he told her.

"Huh? Why?" she asked him.

"I don't know. My mom just told me last night that we're going to go to Korea" he explained to her.

"I don't want you to go" she said quietly.

"I don't want to either" he told her.

Yuto took out the two rings that he had kept in his right coat pocket. (Couple rings?)

He handed her one of the rings and wore the other one on his ring finger. "I promise you that one day I will return and continue on being your boyfriend" he told her.

She was shocked. She just nodded.

His parents were coming soon to pick him up. 

"Mariya, when I'm gone, remember to find a buddy to walk home with, ok? Remember to-" he tried to say.

His mother hurried towards him.

"Yuto, let's go, daddy's waiting for us" his mother yelled. She waited for him to meet her halfway.

He pulled her in for a hug. "Mariya, don't forget me, because I won't forget you. Just remember that I will come back soon. I promise you"

He let go of her.

"Pinky promise?" she asked him.

"Uh. Pinky promise" the two pinky promised. Pinky promises makes things official.

Mariya's thoughts- Yuto, without you here, it'll be so empty. You were the one who I walked home with everyday before and after school. You were the one who I've spent almost every single minute with. What do I do without you here? I won't be able to hear your laughter or see your smile anymore. Yuto, what do I do?

Present day-

"I heard that Ryosuke asked you out" her friend, Aimi said.

"Uh. What about it?" Mariya asked Aimi.

"What did you say?" her friend asked her.

"No" she simply said.

Aimi noticed the necklace that Mariya had been wearing ever since she could remember. The two have became friends the same year Yuto left for Korea.

"It's time for you to move on Mariya. You actually believe a promise that he'd made back then?" Aimi asked her.

"I really did like him and I still do" she told her friend.

She looked at the ring.

"I don't care that it doesn't fit me anymore. This is the only way I can have it by my side. I won't ever take it off" she explained.

"It's not like he will come back. You're so naive for believing him. Seriously, you guys were only 9 years old! It's not like he will remember!"

"Lalalala, can't hear you" she said as she headed towards Starbucks, her part-time job.
--
Airport

Flight 2d has just landed. . .

Yuto finally got off of his flight.

He looked around the airport.

"Wow, things look so different" he commented.

He hailed for a cab as soon as he exited the airport.

"I've finally returned. I wonder if she still remembers" he thought to himself.

He touched the ring that was hanging from his necklace.

The first place that he went to was Mariya's house. Other than his family's house, he could only remember her place.

For some reason, he was nervous. All kinds of thoughts went through his head. How would she react when she sees him? Will she even remember him at all? It's been so long, he wouldn't blame her if she had forgotten. -

Knock. Knock. Knock.

A little boy opened the door.

"Hi, is Mariya home?" he asked.

The little boy looked at him. "Mom!! Someone's looking for Mariya!" he yelled.

A woman in her late 40s left the kitchen and headed towards the front door.

"May I ask who you are?" Mariya's mother asked Yuto.

"I'm Nakajima Yuto. Mariya and I were childhood.. .friends" he said.

"Oh! Nakajima Yuto! Is that really you? You've grown up so well! How are you and your parents?" she asked.

"Thank you. They're doing fine" he replied. "Umm, can you tell me where Mariya is?"

"Oh, she's at work right now. Where are your parents? Did you come alone? Do you have a place to stay?" she asked him.

"I've just returned alone, my parents are still in Korea. I haven't found a place to stay yet. I've came here from the airport" he told her.

"You're staying here then" she ordered. "I'll go tidy up the guest room for you"

"Thank you so much" he thanked her. "Can you tell me where she's working at right now?" he asked her.

"She works at Starbucks. It's actually not that far from here. About 5 minutes away" Mariya's mother said.

As soon as her mother said that, Taemin quickly excused himself and left.

--
Starbucks

It was crowded, as Mariya and her other friend worked as cashiers. She quickly changed jobs with one of the workers who was working on the drinks.

Yuto entered the shop. He took a deep breath.

"It'd be embarrassing if she doesn't even remember me" he thought to himself.

He soon shook that thought off as he waited in line.

6 minutes later-

It was finally his turn to order.

Mariya's friend handed one of the customers his cappuccino.

She turned back to Yuto and asked him what he wanted to order. He ordered an Iced Caffè Mocha.

"Excuse me, is Mariya here?" he asked.

"Yeah, hold on" she said. She yelled for Mariya.

"Hold on hold on!" she yelled back.

She looked at Yuto and recognized him almost immediately.

She asked the manager if she could take a short break.-She signalled Yuto to meet her outside.

She walked towards him. She noticed him wearing a necklace similar to hers.

"I can't believe it. He really did come back" Mariya thought to herself.

"She didn't forget me, maybe she didn't forget about the promise that I've made to her back then" Yuto thought to himself.

As soon as she got closer to him, she hugged him.

"Nakajima Yuto, you still remembered that childish promise that you've made back then" she said.

"I promised you that I will return one day and continue on being your boyfriend. I'm keeping that promise" he repeated the promise that he had made nine years ago.

"Yuto, I love you. I love that you've remembered and kept that childish promise that you've made back then" she told him.

The two finally let go.

"I love you too, Mariya. It wasn't a childish promise though, because I've actually meant it, those words that I've said, I've meant it.

"Let's go Yuto" she said to him.

"Mariya, where are you going? We need your help!" her friend yelled after her.

Mariya took off the apron and threw it to her friend.

"Tell him I'm taking the day off today" she said as she left with Yuto.

She asked him if he was staying or leaving again. He told her that he's staying here for good. He didn't want to leave her for the second time.

The two decided to go to the movies and dinner afterwards.

Mariya's thoughts- I'm glad that you've kept that promise of yours. I'm glad that I have waited for you. Even though my friends tell me that I'm naive for doing so.. . But, at the end everything's the way I've imagined. At the end, there's a happy ending for you and me.

After the movies. . .

"Yuto" she looked at him.

"Uh" he said.

"I'm just throwing out a suggestion here. Maybe we should have an upgrade on the couple rings" she pointed at the ring that he had given her.

Yuto smiled, "Let's do that then"

END-