By My Side

By My Side

“Sungmin”, you called out as you held out your hand to me.  “Kyuhyun”, I answered with a small smile playing on my lips, as I placed my hands into yours.  Our fingers tightened together, a slight squeeze sending waves of warmth and comfort to our hearts.  With smiles on our faces, we walked on, hand in hand, side by side.

We kept walking on, a small spring in our steps as we walked down the path.  But, when did we get to the point whereby you started walking in front.  When did it become such that you were pulling me with you?

I tried to release my grip, but you held on, compelling me to rush to match your steps.  I thought of pulling out again but at exactly that moment, you turned and smiled at me.  My fingers which were slack in yours, regained their vigour and wrapped with your again. 

We continued on, the sights of the streets being blinded as we rushed down.  I tried to slow down to take a look at the beautiful surrounding that were wheezing by but you kept pulling me along.

We kept walking on, getting pulled, till it got to a point whereby my fingers lost their strength once again and I let go of your hands, coming to a stop.  As I look up, I saw you walking away.

At that moment, I wondered… ‘When had your fingers released mine?  When had we come to a point whereby you had let me go and it was just me holding on to you?’  I wondered these whilst standing there, watching you walk away.  I prayed silently for you turn back but my prayers went unanswered.  You never turned back, you just continued walking on and soon, you disappeared away into the horizon.

I stood there, feeling lost.  After some time, I turned around and waked back on the path which we had travelled together.  This time, I walked on the same path alone, slowly, taking my time to look around and enjoy the beauty.  However, the beauty which called out my attention previously, brought no joy to me; it just left me feeling empty within.

I kept walking on, before turning into a corner, barely missing you who had zoomed straight down on the path.

I kept walking around aimlessly, like a lost child looking for his mother.  I felt lost, I was scared and I wanted to cry but I tried to hold it all in.  I kept walking on, not bothering about the path I was travelling on, not bothering about the sight I was missing on.  I kept walking, trying to stay strong.

Nonetheless, the dam was weak and it soon broke and the tears started flowing freely when I saw you in front of me, hunched with your hands on your knees, trying to catch your breath.  I stood there, crying silently.  I stood there, tears flowing freely whilst watching you stretch out your hands out to me once again.

Once again, I placed my hands into yours. 

“Let’s always stay side by side as we walk down the road of life together.”

 

-END-