Chapter 1

Broken Cupid

For the first time in forever, Kyungsoo is seen at the Cupid’s Off Station. Now he finally feels ashamed of his terribly small wings. He thought that’s what made all the other cupid stare at him, but actually.... well, yeah, yes it is. But the main reason they’re staring at this young cupid is because they know that’s the loser among cupids and it’s weird that he’s at the Cupid’s Off Station. Kyungsoo is still confused of what to do now he’s in the building. He sees Cupids with their arrows and bow in hand and gigantic wings take some sort of badge from this humongous locker, standing hundreds feet tall that it reached the  3rd layer of the sky. It also has millions of lockers, each with a name on it. Kyungsoo could just marvel at the height of this locker, now he feels bad that he lived up here all his live and he doesn’t even know things like this exist. That’s just enough proof of how useless of a cupid he is. For now he decides to just walk and see if he can find his locker, which ofcourse will never work. He’s still walking around with no real purpose, Out of the blue, while the blank cupid strolls around, his ankle is grabbed from below the pink cloud. Before Kyungsoo could even do anything the next thing he knows is he’s dragged down all the way to the first layer of the sky.

“Ahhh!!! I’m falling help!!! Someone!!!”

“Oppa cupids can fly!!!”

The woman who’s holding Kyungsoo like a kitty shouts back. She jeered when she saw her oppa’s wings.

“...On second thought.... don’t worry i got you oppa”

Kyungsoo gritted his teeth when he saw that teasing smile of her. It’s Eunji, Kyungsoo’s lilttle sister, who’s also from what he heard is now the cupid who got most happily ever after couples together. Very opposite to her sibling. Even if Kyungsoo is facing Eunji  he still could see her wings fluttering behind her.

“...Cool wings...”

“...heh, you got cute wings oppa. By the way what are you doing here?”

“Can’t we go back up first? I’m not comfortable floating while getting man handled by my own sister”

“Well since you can’t possibly fly with those wings means you have to take the handing for a bit, and if we go back up i’d be too embarrassed to talk to you”

“You’re embarrassed of me?”

“Ofcourse! I mean look at your bow!”

“Shut up! I just need to get one couple and i’ll be on my way okay?! I’m not even interested in things like this Geez!”

Honestly Eunji understands what’s going on until her brother decides to go to work. She sighs, then she flies them back up into the Cupid world which is in the 2nd sky. Eunji just throws her brother onto the soft cloud before she flies higher to who knows where. Completely ignoring her oppa, like she said she’s embarrassed of him.

“Y-Yah! Help me find my name! Yah!!! Eunji-ah!!!”

“Do not shout here”

Another woman interrupted Kyungsoo. He turns to her, and suddenly his heart drops. Kyungsoo doesn’t involved himself in a lot off Cupid issues but whoever doesn’t know this cupid better just pack their bags and move to hell. It’s the legendary Jessica Jung, the youngest Serenity in Cupid’s history. She looks strict, like she’s supposed to. Automatically Kyungsoo gave her a perfect bow.

“I-I’m so sorry, i don’t know much”

“Do Kyungsoo, Age something, second time coming here first time was when you’re 5. Ofcourse you’d know nothing boy”

Kyungsoo didn’t know what to respond with, so he just quietly fiddled with his fingers, lips sealed shut. Just getting stared down by the honoured Serenity. She saw Kyungsoo’s wings, silently nodding as if she understands.  

“...First time?”

“Y-yes...”

“You’ll create too many heartbreaks. Fine then, today i’ll coach you how to be a good cupid”

“....B-But Serenity-nim, I-I just need--”

“One couple, i know. So you think uniting one couple is easy? What does someone like you know about this duty? Now come!”

She leads Kyungsoo to the large lockers. But as Kyungsoo follows her, he’s mumbling comments.

“I know humans don’t deserve it though...”

Jessica heard that, and she wont let that slide easily. She took a look to the newbie behind her, eyes really saying ‘imma kill you’.

“...What do you know about this duty?”

She simply replied , scaring poor Kyungsoo to the end. But then she returns to that teaching mood. Needless to say others are staring at the odd pair, the elite and the rookie. Jessica calmly leads Kyungsoo to one row of hundreds of lockers. Her head pointing up, looking at the peak of the locker that is lost within skies.

“...Do Kyungsoo... Locker number VVII up there.”

“Um.... I’m a bad flier”

“...*Sigh*”

 

 

Now Kyungsoo feel a little fitting in with all the other cupids. He has the same badge as all of them are wearing, Still he doesn’t know what it means though. But now Jessica is leading him once again to somewhere that looks like the edge of their cupid world. Kyungsoo couldn’t move an inch when what he sees is the cloud pouring down to nowhere like waterfall. The edge spans from the edge of right to the edge of left. He can see Cupids come back onto the cloud from below and dives back down from here. Speechless, he’s astounded.

“Wow right? That’s what i thought too when i first see this”

The newbie just nods, eyes still stuck on the edge of their world. Until he didn’t saw the heavy white bow come crashing on him. Naturally, Kyungsoo fell, in fact he almost fall from the cloud because of the bow’s weight only.

“Uggh! What is this? Geeeetttt it off me!”

“That’s my bow i’ll lend it to you until you get your first couple united”

She helps the dying boy by lifting her own bow from him. After panting and making sure all his body parts are still attached, Kyungsoo tries to stand up again. He’s a bit limping since most of the bow landed on his legs, but other than that he’ll be fine.

“So all i need to do it shoot my arrows to two humans right?”

Jessica now is looking at the taller one, face screaming ‘ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!’. Somehow Kyungsoo knows he did something wrong, slowly he bows his head. Jessica sighs again, at this rate she might start to get wrinkles.

“Lets go”

Jessica pulls the confused and terrified newbie to the edge.

“Go? Go where?”

He tries to stop the dragging with his feet, if Jessica wants Kyungsoo to dive that high he’d rather lose his wings.

“Come on”

She tries another way by going behind the man and push him closer to the brink.

“B-But i don’t know how to”

“It’s fine i’ll teach you! Now go!”

One last hard push was enough. Unlike all the other Cupids that are in a ready position, Kyungsoo just falls with his limbs all over the place. He can’t see anything properly, all he can see is some grey, green and blue down there. He even passed a weird white big bird that has some scribbles on it’s body and other real birds along the way. There’s so many things Kyungsoo haven’t seen ever already and he’s just starting his duty. And ofcourse he doesn’t fall so quietly.

“yaaaaahhhhhh!!!!”

“Yah! Pabo!”

Jessica is soon next to Kyungsoo, falling down herself.

“Use your wings!”

“B-but my wings are--”

“USE YOUR WINGS!”

She emphasizes once more. Kyungsoo still has that unsure expression painted onhim. The senior rolls her eyes, In the end she decides to just demonstrate. Jessica opens her wings, immediately catching all the other mythical creatures’ attention. Her wings spans 6 feet long each. Easily she resembles an angel. She can navigate her way through the earth’s sky finally, no longer controlled by gravity. She does a few tricks, before she heads towards the newbie.

“See?”

“Oh my god! You’re beautiful!”

“Thanks, now use your wings! No matter what they’re still wings!”

Kyungsoo becomes encouraged, wanting to be as beautiful too. He flutters his wings, but its not helping. Soon they’ll hit the ground. Kyungsoo tries again.  He keeps on falling and falling t a point where Jessica can’t fly beside him anymore. Right before he hits the ground, his wings start working. But it may be too late. Kyungsoo closed his eyes, ready to feel that crash, his heart is beating so fast. When Kyungsoo opens his eyes, his nose tip is already touching the hard cement floor. Despite that, he didn’t crash. Jessica who’s already standing like a normal human being pulled Kyungsoo up on his feet. 

“Good job! Now, Welcome to Seoul city, Korea”

“....wow....”

Kyungso once again is amazed. Building tall, impressive and beautiful are making the city into a concrete jungle. But they landed in a park so there’s more flora and fauna here than most of Seoul. Kyungsoo could see so many beings that he recognize as humans. He never knew how humans act, dress, talk or behave. He knows now, and he doesn’t like it. He also noticed how humans have a heart on their chest, just like the badge Kyungsoo is wearing. The hearts on every human is different coloured. Even the sizes of every heart is different.

“Look, at that”

Jeesica points to another cupid in duty. The cupids is flying a few feet above the couple that’s standing shyly opposite of each other. By how the atmosphere there felt, Its a humanly love confession. The unknown cupid shoots an arrow to the woman who has a big red heart, after that he shoots her man with the exact same heart. In a minute the two start to act lovey dovey. The newbie nods, starting to understand. Suddenly his hands are holding the same bow that almost killed him.

“Hearts can change in colour and size. A human’s heart will change size when they face different people, if they talk or meet eye with someone they like the heart’s size will be bigger. Kind of like that”

She points to the same new couple they saw a few minutes ago. The girl has to say goodbye to her new boyfriend, and so she returns to her group of friend that were waiting on a nearby bench. Her heart has shrink a little bit.

“See? That means those girls with her right now is just her friends”

“ooohhh~... So how about those? That one and that?”

Kyungsoo points to two big hearts of the different colour, one is pink and one is yellow. Jessica shooks her head.

“No, the exact same heart Kyungsoo. Not a cm under or over and not a glint of difference, exact copy of hearts”

“...okay...”

“That’s the basics, i’m sure you’ll learn the others on your own. Since you’re using my bow looks like today’s a holiday for me yay, bye”

“W-Wait!”

Jessica winks before she flies back up to the cupid’s world. With wings like that ofcourse she’s fast. Alone in a world full of humans. This is the last thing Kyungsoo wants. But if he wants to live, he needs to protect his wings. All other cupids are fluttering everywhere, doing an excellent job. But Kyungsoo will just walk around the park like an invisible human.  And hopes to meet a couple.

 

 

<><><><><> 

 

 

“THIS IS STUPID! ARGH!!!”

Finally he realized. After rounding the park for 7 a time, in hopes of running into a couple this newbie ends up lying on the top of a bush, out of all decent places to rest. He’s too frustrated and tired to even care about those thorns that’s poking his toga. He watches as the cupids fly above him getting at least one couple each. Some noticed him failing under them, they giggled. Just to sprinkle cute oil dusts to Kyungsoo’s burning stress.

“If its like this then i don’t care if i die!”

He shouts before he decides to just sleep at this odd world. He closes his eyes, arms crossed. He was just about to drift into dream world when a foot went massaging his handsome face.

“What do you expect to get with that poor performance hm?!”

“Stop it”

“Look! Your badge is not even coloured yet!”

She stomps her oppa’s face, hard. Rising the rookie back on his feet again.

“Yah!!! That’s just rude! And for godsakes why do cupids need accessories?!”

“Accessories?! No wonder you’re a failure! Have you not notice how yours is transparent and mine is blue?!”

“You painted your badge, congratulations!”

Kyungsoo just earns himself a straight gut punch. While the man is wailing in pain, rolling all over the walkway, Eunji’s badge starts to glow. Even her oppa noticed that. She just stick out her tongue and seems to be done with her oppa.

“Wait!”

Kyungsoo stops her before she flies away again. Eunji isn’t in a good mood and her duty is calling. Still she doesn’t want to have a dead oppa back home so its probably best to guide him anywhere she can.

“...S-so what is that?”

“Glad you asked! You see just walking around and hoping to see a couple won’t get you anywhere, You have to choose one human to follow around and they will surely find someone they love later. Though sometimes it takes years”

“What?!?”

“Sometimes it takes minutes. The heart colour and size of that human you follow will be copied by this badge”

“Gosh, why do we even bother?”

“Because there’s 7 billion human in this earth oppa and rumours has it that each of them has 7 twins. So it’ll be helpful if you please don’t shoot the wrong heart!!!”

She pushed Kyungsoo’s badge with one finger. Tapping it telling him to do something with his colourless heart. After the small lesson, she left to see her calling human. And again Kyungsoo is left back on square one. He fills his cheeks with oxygen first, then huffs it out. He takes a look at the big picture of the park, looking at every human that can’t see his existence.

“So... follow a human hm?”

Kyungsoo observes more,  starting to get confused. So before he forgets what to do he decides to just go with any random human. A particularly isolated boy caught his eyes. He’s sleeping under a tree in the park, with a book covering his face. He has a guitar with him, that’s charming the cupid thought.  Kyungsoo slowly creeps towards the teenager, as if he can see the newbie cupid. After reaching the tree this human rests upon on, instead of just hang around the human like what any other cupid would do, Kyungsoo’s curiosity suddenly sparks. The human’s whole face is covered by his book, but his lips. His lips look pretty tempting for some reason. He starts to wonder how the human looks like. His tongue slightly sticks out as Kyungsoo gently puts his fingers on the top of the book, careful not to wake the human up. He slowly pushes the book down, revealing that face it hides. The book suddenly slips down the teens face completely. Long lashes, sharp nose and smooth skin. The boy Kyungsoo picked is beautiful. So beautiful the cupid couldn’t move, he just stayed that close to the human boy’s face. And suddenly something unexpected happen. The boy opened his eyes. With the sunlight pouring down on him, making his hazel eyes look at it’s finest, Kyungsoo feels like he’s staring straight into paradise. They stare into each other’s soul for a long time. Until Kyungsoo got startled and hides behind the tree.  

“God no! He can see me?”

Kyungsoo’s getting anxious. A human will surely cause a commotion if they believe they just saw a mythical creature.  But it’s so calm on the other side of the tree bark. Kyungsoo took a deep breath, then slowly he jeers his head a bit to take a look what’s happening there. What he sees is the boy’s back, he’s quietly arranging his books back into his bag. After hanging the bag on his left shoulder, he stood up with his guitar in his other free hand. Now Kyungsoo can finally let out a relieved sigh.

“...Ofcourse he can’t see me, stupid”

He smiles with all his pearly whites showed, he made a move himself. Normally, unlike all the floating cupids, he walks behind the beautiful man. He made a decision, this is his first human.

 

<><><><><> 

 

He’s currently in a cafe, it smells weird for him but the boy has been counting money and wear some sort of uniform along with it. He has been waiting for a long time but the boy’s heart still is as normal as it can be. And its almost time for him to go back up.. 7 p.m. in the human’s world is already too late for a cute cupid to roam around earth. Cupids starts to head back up as the buildings in Korea starts to glitter with lights. Even Kyungsoo who has been following around the nameless boy should be heading back up now.

“You know you should at least tell me your name”

Kyungsoo asked his human as he sits on the same counter he is facing. Yes he didn’t answer, but since the park Kyungsoo has been pretending as if he can see and hear him. The human he picked is much more cold than he thought, no wonder the women are getting scared of him.

“Kai! Can you send this to table 6 please?”

Someone from inside asks the free casher. Kai didn’t reply verbally, instead he nods and just simply move to the back and do as he’s asked. Completely cannot see the chuckling cupid.

“Ah~ so your name is Kai? Woah, even a cupid like me is just named Kyungsoo”

He teased before he hoped down the counter and exits the cafe. He’s satisfied now he knows his human’s name, so it’s time to go back home.

 

 

Cupids generally take somewhere around an hour until they arrive at the gate. But Kyungsoo took nearly twice as long since his wings isn’t as powered. Still after all that he barely arrives at the place where Jessica recklessly pushed him down. Something still haven’t changed though. Kyungsoo thought that after he goes to ‘work’ like all the cupids they might not waste their time and stare at him like that. In fact the whole journey back to Cupid’s World he got stared at by anyone within his radius. And if he’s not mistaken, the stares might’ve got worse. Even as he walks back cupid’s eyes never left him, and they’re even started to whisper with each other. It’s making the rookie uncomfortable. He still walks until he could see the back of his mentor, looks like she’s been waiting for him to come back. And to be honest, he’s glad he saw her.

“Serenity-nim!”

Kyungsoo’s steps gets quicker, like he’s trying to get to a ‘safe’ place. Jessica turns around to see who it is. She knows that face, and first she looked quiet composed. Until she saw ‘that’ on Kyungsoo. Even she looked surprised. Seeing that expression on the calm Serenity Jessica, now Kyungsoo’s sure something isn’t right.