reunion

restless
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

heo youngji + wang jackson 

the steam from her favourite cup of tea twirled in the air. the brown haired girl shifted her gaze towards the nearby window. how long has it been since she was in seoul? three years? or maybe four? she wasn’t so sure. but there’s one thing she can guarantee. seoul has changed like she did.

just recently, she and her past friends in college got in contact with each other. all of them were wanting a reunion. but of course, most of them had their respective jobs to deal with so it’s been delayed for a few months. and then when lee mijoo finally took the initiative to ask for each one’s schedule, everything was finalized.

she continues watching people pass by the window – the café’s outside view was completely breath-taking. well, at least for her.

the streets were filled with aspiring musicians, and each and every one of them had ‘that’ special glint in their eyes. the ‘glint’ she knew because of him.

the café door opens slowly yet the brown haired girl’s still clueless.

mijoo approaches the girl slowly and quietly.

ever since her friends can remember, she always had the knack on surprising people. she finds joy on their surprised faces. her friends aren’t even surprised when she just bursts into laughter by herself. that probably means she’s remembering someone’s hysterical face.

“yah lee mijoo” the brown haired girl finally says.

mijoo’s eyes widened, “what happened these past four years?” she said in a mocking tone before sitting right across her, “my disguise…how did you…ya, heo youngji”

youngji lets out a soft chuckle. it makes her feel at ease to see that the lee mijoo she knew looked the same as she was four years ago. she suddenly remembers how much the other cried on their graduation day. it’s as if she cried all the water in her body.

youngji points towards the mirrors in the café which allowed youngji to see mijoo’s mischiefs, “you’re wearing pink – which i hate – maybe that’s why i saw you in an instant with the help of those”

mijoo pulls off a funny face and shrugs, “maybe that’s why i despise mirrors so much”

“you still hate mirrors?”

“of course she does noona” a man with blonde hair and pale skin appeared out of nowhere making the two girls surprised. he was accompanied by three of their friends, han sanghyuk, cha hakyeon and kwon mina. yook sungjae sits beside youngji as he sported his famous smile which killed a lot of girls back in highschool. not literally killed them though. meanwhile hakyeon, sanghyuk and mina occupied the other free seats beside mijoo.

she isn’t sure whether she’s the only one but she felt nostalgic. it’s as if it was just yesterday when they first sat together on their usual table on the school’s canteen. the seven of them were usually so noisy that a lot of people complained about them.

right. they were seven.

hakyeon dragged sanghyuk away for a moment to accompany him in ordering. hakyeon doesn’t like being alone. it’s nice to know the little things haven’t changed even if years had passed.

mijoo snatches youngji’s tea which she usually does back then , “where’s jackson?” his name caught her attention and even if her eyes were shifted outside, her ears were listening closely.

mina knew. maybe because her observational skills are extraordinary or maybe because youngji was so obvious. but she knew. mina was the one who youngji approached when she encountered problems with him.

mina smiles warmly, “he’s on the way apparently – all of us know now that he became a singer right? he’s gotten really popular– even my niece, seriously. i told her the bad stuffs wangkong did and she cried” the latter bursted into laughter, except for youngji who didn’t know what was happening.

“wait– he did?” she says

at that time, hakyeon and sanghyuk had come back with the food and they are now settling themselves back on their respective seats. “you mean wang jackson is now a singer?”

“i’m disappointed you didn’t know– what have you been doing and not watching tv to see my handsome face?”

she knew that voice. the voice that made her heart flutter even if it’s just “hi” and the voice she had always longed for.

sungjae beamed with happiness as he stood up and hugged jackson. youngji quietly observes him, acting as if she doesn’t care but eventually fails. she notices how thin he has become and his beautiful blonde hair.

jackson sat right across youngji and that made her heart flutter even more. it’s been four years but her heart’s still doing acrobatics at the sight of him. it made her wonder if she ever stopped loving him.

mijoo places her hand on jackson’s head as she patted him, “god nice hair” she envies how their friends could do that. she’s afraid that a mere handshake will turn him into a tint of red.

“i’m still disappointed over the fact heo youngji doesn’t know about her friend who became a singer” jackson rolled his eyes and pouted.

youngji thought he was cute but she’ll keep that to herself, “i work as a teacher at cheongyang-gun and we don’t have tv nor internet, i wouldn’t be here if mijoo and mina didn’t went to cheongyang-gun to pick me up” and for that she was thankful – thankful that she has met friends who’ll go as far as cheongyang-gun just to pick her up for their reunion.

jackson knew it was the girl’s dream to be a teacher, she knew how to handle kids well which was opposite him, he felt happy that she achieved her dream but sad because it seems like she isn’t interested in knowing about him, “so you’ve never gone back to your apartment?”

youngji furrowed her brows, “obviously not, stupid”

sanghyuk, hakyeon and sungjae widened their eyes and then the same facial expression came out of their face, “it has started” the three said in unison.

‘it’ probably refers to youngji and jackson’s endless bickering – it’s as if they are oil and water – they fight on every little thing and they don’t know why.

they never stopped them though – apparently because they were cute and they always end up making up at the end of the day.

jackson shifted his attention to sanghyuk’s chocolate cake, avoiding youngji’s eyes, “so that’s why…”

mijoo stood up and clapped her hands, “so guys attention! let’s have a confession game. things we know but the others know. it can be anything as long as it makes sense. let’s start with yookduk”

sungjae places his coffee back on the table and thinks for a moment, his mouth formed an ‘o’ shape, giggling. “i knew someone who’s so handsome lee mijoo and kwon mina fell for him”

the latter stared at sungjae with utmost attention

“and that handsome boy is me, myself and i”

youngji who was sitting beside sungjae gave him a playful hit, as expected of yook sungjae, the kid who looks normal but is completely far from that. the kid who’s there whenever you’re sad.

mijoo rolled her eyes and sighed, “it’s my turn – i knew that sanghyuk always went clubbing and acted as an innocent baby in the morning”

all of them la

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter