prologue- escapade of brilliance.

The Red Lion

 

prologue: escapade of brilliance

June 17th, 1925
New York City, U.S.A.
The Son Apartment


 

A little more, Naeun thought, a little more and it'll be wide enough for me to fit through-

She flinched at the sound of steady movements up the marble staircase. No, no, no. Not now, not now. Please.

 

Oh, for Pete's sake. Naeun groaned inwardly as she heard the familiar sound of heels clicking against the spotless, snow white floor. She backed out of the room and closed the door  with extreme caution. Then she scurried towards the hallway mirror and pretended to be interested in smoothing out her blue dress. A few seconds later, a middle-aged woman with an extremely make-up caked face- Naeun's mother- appeared. She walked towards her daughter with her usual air of confidence and superiority, but also an expression of agitation.

 

"Oh, there you are, Naeun," she said, sounding vexed. "I've been looking everywhere for you. Why didn't you tell me you were up here?"

The girl merely shrugged, not sure what answer would please her mother. "Sorry, Mom. I've been fixing up my appearance. Don't want to look like a ragamuffin."

"Your hat is crooked." the older woman said disdainfully.

"Right," Naeun muttered sarcastically under her breath. She adjusted the tip of her hat. "Of course people care about my crooked hat." She was referring to the masses of people on the ground floor who were currently enjoying the party her parents were throwing.

Her mother raised her eyebrows, but said nothing more on the topic. It was clear that she couldn't care any less. Instead, she spoke, "We have very, very important guests here now. The Kims are here."
 

Naeun's face remained indifferent, although internally she was anything but. The Kims were a family that had supposedly become a sudden nationwide success in regards of their business. Her parents were talking about them all the time recently(though their contempt for the family's boastfulness was often commented on, Naeun found this quite ironic), and were figuring out plans to take over their success for their own. And she, too, was an important part of it, apparently. 


"They're waiting downstairs at the dining room," the older woman continued. "Now, they're palookas from the South but we still need to treat them as if they're our equal. I want you to be on your best behavior possible. Be ladylike and docile. Act the way I insist you do."


Obeying silently, Naeun followed her down the elegant staircase carefully, in fear of slipping and falling in her heels. Her feet were heading downstairs, but her mind still lurked around the upper suite- and the escape plan that had been just ruined, thanks to her mother.

It had been perfect. She couldn't see why anyone would have thought otherwise. The plan was to unlock the door to her parents' room(they kept it locked at all times, but Naeun had managed to reach the key earlier), and pry open the heat vent, which was big enough for a small human to crawl through. She knew exactly where one of its paths ended up to- the back alley outside. And she had told her parents she felt sick and drowsy earlier. They wouldn't have even come to look for her, considering that it would be a social and personal humiliation if Naeun had thrown up in the middle of the floor, but that theory was now down the drain, for the Kims were here. 

"Mom, I'm really sick though." Naeun said weakly.

'Try to stand it then.' was her mother's short response. The girl sighed. Of course.

 

The sound of constant, idle chatter filled Naeun's ears, and it made her slightly nauseous for real. As for her mother, she was responding to various people that attempted to make conversation to her in the way.

"All dolled up and spiffy, I see, Nara?"

"Oh yes, thank you, had quite a fuss over the glad rags-"

"Care for a ciggy?"

"Glad, but later, really-"

"The moonshine's splendid!"

"Why, it's a pleasure-"

 

The short exchanges of dialogue came to an end as they finally reached the elegant dining room. Naeun's eyes landed on three people who she presumed to be the Kims- a middle aged man with sharp features, a plump woman of the similar age, and a young man who seemed to be around her age. Her father was making small talk with them from what she saw. She felt nauseous once again thinking of having to stay in the awkward and boring atmosphere that awaited her. 

"That's their son," her mother whispered to her rather audibly. "He's nineteen, your age." Naeun just nodded, unsure of how to respond to the comment. Did her mother expect her to strike up a conversation with him? She guessed yes. 
 

"We're here!" Naeun's mother cried cheerily, with overexaggeration. Luckily, their important guests didn't seem to notice- or maybe, they were pretending not to know. 

"Finally." Her father nodded slightly, looking indifferent. He always did. Naeun knew that he was never one to show much emotion, and for all she knew, all he cared about was his reputation and business. Just like everyone else in this dig, the girl thought bitterly.


"Awfully sorry for the teensy hold-up, had to get Naeun down here. Naeun, this is Mr. and Mrs. Kim. And their son, whose name is...?"

"Myungsoo," the son spoke up quietly.
 

It was then when Naeun saw the boy close up for the first time. She had to admit he had a certain advantage in the looks department. His hair looked windblown- despite the fact there was no wind coming from anywhere inside the house- and he was wearing a dark suit that seemed to match with his father's. His expression was blank; it was hard for her to sense what he was thinking. 

"Oh, you've missed out on our fabulous trip to Europe," Mrs. Kim said gleefully. Naeun's parents had been right; this family did seem to be a little fond of boasting. "We were talking about the Seine River in France before you came..."


Naeun's mind drifted off from the boring and repetitive discussion. All her parents and Mr. and Mrs. Kim were talking about were their milestones and achievements in life. She somehow found herself wanting about something interesting enough with someone.

Her eyes scanned the room and landed on Myungsoo. He was wearing a blasé expression that seemed to mirror exactly what she was feeling at the moment, and she could feel that they shared much in common already. His seat was a bit further away from the parents, so she scooted a bit towards him.

 

"You look terribly bored." she spoke in a low voice so the parents could not hear her, but loud enough for him to understand. 

Myungsoo raised an eyebrow. "Don't know what else could describe what I'm feeling at the moment. Seems as if the same goes for you too."

"Absolutely," Naeun grimaced a bit. "This is one of the many times they've forced me to sit down and listen to the conceit and bragging. It's a tiring routine."

"Happened to me every day this week," the boy said, sighing. "I hate this all."

"It'll take a minimum of an hour for them to finish some of their talking."

The two of them had quite a lengthy conversation- their topic of discussion constantly shifting from one to another. The topics were diverse- they ranged from their daily life to some quite embarrassing experiences that they somehow managed to share with each other. Naeun was pleasantly surprised with how much she and Myungsoo had in common. For the first time, she felt like she could actually have a connection with someone else- a real friend.


"It'll take a minimum of an hour for them to finish some of their talking." Naeun informed him, rolling her eyes irritatedly. "If long, maybe all night. I hope that won't happen though, they've ruined things for me already..."

 

"What things? It would be nice if you elaborate, if you don't mind."

 

Naeun hesitated for a short moment. Could she trust him, a stranger she had just met? But they had so many things in common, possessed similar ideals and most important of all- were trapped in the same situation. The small voice inside her encouraged her to go on and spill it. He's trustworthy enough, it said.

 

"It's just that- I was planning to pull a disappearance," she mumbled, her voice barely audible. "I had a good plan, but it practically went down the gutter."
 

Myungsoo looked rather interested than shocked. "That's going to take some guts. You must really hate your parents," he replied in a low voice. "Though it isn't any different here."

 

"They're only focused on my role as the heiress and my public appearance, not my identity as their daughter," Naeun said dryly. "Not surprised at how things turned out, though. It was bound to happen."

 

"You know, I could help."

 

Naeun looked right up, bewildered. "What? Why?" She then realized her voice was a little loud (though the parents took no notice) and lowered it to a near whisper. "I mean, you have no reason- or obligation to."

 

"True, in a sense," Myungsoo admitted. "But I'm happy to aid someone who's in the same shoes. Besides, nothing to lose, right? But think logically first. Where would you run off to though?"

 

"I honestly don't have a set place in mind," Naeun responded honestly. "I'm definitely avoiding anywhere my relatives may reach though, which includes New York and the East in general. And-" she hesitated, "- I was thinking about going west."

 

"The west?" Myungsoo frowned. "Naeun, do you know anything about the West?"

 

"For one thing, I know the business speculation is as nearly as intense as New York's," she responded. "It shouldn't be too hard to find a job. In fact, it's warmer there, with a lot of immigrants and Korean descendants from what I know-"

 

"Well, seems like you do recognize the whole environment, but are you sure-?"

 

Myungsoo stopped mid-question, realizing that they were being overheard. It came off as strange to Naeun how the both of them hadn’t realized that the parents had ceased conversation sometime along the way. She was worried about how long they had been listening to them.

 

"Oh, look at them conversing already," Mrs. Kim cooed. "Aren't they dears?" Her eyes flashed momentarily at Myungsoo, who stiffened at the action.

"Yes, very..." Naeun's mother replied with moderate politeness, which soon faded as she stared at her daughter with a calculating look. "They look lovely together, yes?" There was an unusual edge to her sweet-sounding tone, as if she was enforcing something.

"Very," Mrs. Kim agreed enthusiastically.

"You know," her mother spoke slowly, as if gauging Mrs. Kim's reaction- "It'll be splendid if we could have them, you know, middle aisle it..."

 

Naeun and Myungsoo looked up in utter dismay. Surely she was joking. Of all the commentary she could have made, it was this? The very idea of walking down the aisle at the sheer age of nineteen was extremely unsettling for Naeun.

 

Mrs. Kim and her mother seemed unperturbed by their facial expressions, and continued speaking as if neither of the two were there(or maybe, they had been too engrossed in their own fantasies that they hadn't noticed at all). Her father and Mr. Kim also seemed vaguely curious about the idea. But it seemed to Naeun that they were really considering it- and it was obvious that the reason was simply not that she and Myungsoo looked good together. Naeun didn't dislike Myungsoo. But being his fiancée was far over the line.

 

The girl attempted to take a sip of the gin placed in front of her, then choked as she thought of the idea of being married again. A marriage? An arranged one? What was this, the eighteenth century? The business exploitations that people were attempting to make in this very atmosphere were sickening. She had a hard time concealing a look of disgust that was directed towards her parents, but more towards her mother. Not that her father was any different. They were all the same. Everyone in this atmosphere, socializing and drinking. Manipulative, materialistic, and image/money obsessed people with low or barely no morale.

 

When it seemed like the parents were back in their own world, Naeun looked back at Myungsoo, whose expression could only be described as despise. He narrowed his eyes, and they exchanged a look. And they understood.

 

"There's definitely a reason to help you now," he said, his lips barely moving.




 

9JBOPAP.png



 

The grandfather clock in the large living room struck eleven. The hundreds of people who had been in the house were now reduced to about fifty. And Naeun knew- there was little or no time left. Now was the time.

 

Myungsoo seemed to have the same idea. He raised an eyebrow at her, and she nodded.

 

"Mother?"

 

Mrs. Kim shifted her gaze towards her son. "Yes, son?"

"I was wondering if I could leave the table for a moment. Naeun offered to show me around the house."

 

Naeun maintained her calm demeanor as her own mother stared at her with an expression that couldn't really be deciphered.

Was it suspicion? Possibly, since it wasn't often Naeun took an interest in any of the males when around her parents. To make it more believeable, she smiled, her lips curving up and her expression slightly dreamy- a false lovestruck image of herself. She was sure she would be able to fool most of them: maybe not her mother fully, but most anyhow since she'd been a star student in theatre in high school.

 

"Why not!" Mrs. Kim tittered. "Go ahead, you two, have the time of your lives."

"Try to stay away from the bedrooms, we wouldn't like people walking all over our sleeping quarters." Naeun's mother said absentmindedly.

 

Naeun forced a smile, and stood up slowly from the leather oak chair she was sitting on. Myungsoo mirrored the action, and as he offered his arm with an discreet roll of the eye, she smiled, suppressing a snort, and took it. They ignored the chatter that ensued behind them, and strolled towards the staircase that lead to the upper level.

 

"So, what was your plan again?" the young man whispered, in case there were inquisitive bystanders beside them.

 

"Unlock my parents' bedroom, and escape through the heat vent."

 

Myungsoo's expression was doubtful. "Can the heat vent even fit you? And why not just walk out from the backyard or the front door?"

 

"Yeah, I've seen where it leads out to- the back alley. I found out a day ago when I was taking a walk around the house. And I can't go out that way, the front door attracts too much attention and everyone outside can see us. The backyard is visible from the dining room table, so no. On top of that, we need to watch the maids and butlers. They're practically everywhere."

 

He made a face. "Seems complicated. How many of them walk around the second floor?"

 

"Usually a lot, but only a few during parties. The parties keep them busy inside the kitchen and in the entire first floor. That's why I chose today. I wouldn't be able to do anything during a normal day since eyes are everywhere. And my mother doesn't trust me, she knows I'm not fond of this place." She took in a deep breath as they reached the second floor. The loud chatter and noises were slowly fading away as she and Myungsoo ambled deeper into the corridors of the level. The halls were silent, and there wasn't a single maid to be seen for now.

 

"Where's your room?" her companion asked, peering down the dimly lit corridor.

 

"Down left. Not too far, but not too close either."

 

The Son residence was like a maze in the fact that its halls were woven like a web. Naeun had been lost so many times during her childhood, but now she was used to its winding pathways. It was a disadvantage usually, but a great advantage for her at this time.

 

They approached a single hall that stretched to the left far down- it lead to an elegantly designed door: the door to Naeun's bedroom.

 

The girl turned the knob and scurried inside. "Can you wait a bit outside? I need to change."

"Alright." was the response she heard after closing her door.

 

Naeun opened her closet, pulling out the outfit she had chosen before. It was possibly the simplest outfit she owned- she didn't want to attract attention. She slid out of her blue dress and pulled up the caramel colored shirt dress. She also erased a bit of her makeup- her face was way too pale for her liking.

 

Grabbing the medium-sized suitcase she had put her belongings in, she opened the door. The suitcase mostly consisted of clothes and objects worth of money. She grimaced as she held it- although not weak, she wasn't the strongest.

 

"I'll help," Myungsoo offered. He took the suitcase and held it with incredible ease. She nodded gratefully at the action. Now, it was time for the actual step.

 

There were no maids in sight. She sighed in relief, and moved on towards her parents' bedroom, which was down right back into the main hall. She held the key she had been concealing all day, and fit the lock into the hollow mold in the door. The door popped open with a soft click. Naeun quietly tiptoed inside, so no one below could possibly hear a thing.

 

The heating vent was in the left corner of the vast room. Indeed, it was large enough to fit a small human being. Naeun unclipped a hairpin tucked in her hair and slid it through the screws that kept the metal board from falling off. As the screws loosened, she removed the board. Finally, it was time.

 

Myungsoo seemed rather amused by the entire affair. “So, this is it, huh?”

“Yeah, it is,” she responded, a content grin on her face. “It feels amazing, I can’t believe it. Thanks, by the way,” she added genuinely. “It’s all because of your help eventually. But… aren’t you coming?”

 

He shook his head. “Wish I could, but I have unfinished business.”

 

“Oh. Well, I hope to see you, when the time is right,” Naeun couldn’t help feeling a bit disappointed. “You know what to do next though, right?”

“Of course I do, no worries," he assured her with a devious curve of his lips. "Bye, have a safe trip.” The boy started to shuffle backwards towards the oak wood door, though still maintaining eye contact.

 

"See you again someday." Naeun replied blissfully.

 

As the door shut quietly, she took her suitcase and started moving down the hollow vent. She coughed as dust particles danced around her; the vents really did need some cleaning. But it was alright, she just hoped that she wouldn't have an unpleasant rendezvous with cobwebs or rodents. Each was as horrible as the other to think of, and disgusting.

 

There were a few moments of struggle, and Naeun saw light shining at the end of one side of the passageways. It was not the fluorescent glow of a lamp or a chandelier, but the luminous shine of none other than the moon. Her heart beat rapidly at the sight, and she felt her breath being caught up in . What if she got caught by a maid, or that nosy old woman who lived next door? Nevertheless, she urged herself to move on forward, her impending freedom being the only thought screaming in her head.

 

Tugging the suitcase along with her, the girl crawled to the end of the tunnel, and peeked outside to see whether anyone was wandering around the area. Seeing no trace of anyone or anything present, she tossed her suitcase to the grass, then proceeded to slide out of the dark vent.

 

She was welcomed by the smell of fresh grass as she fell on the lawn of her backyard. Ah, liberty.

 

No more family soirees, no manipulative parents...

 

Naeun grinned, and a silent cry of joy escaped her lips. She sighed in content, thinking of why she hadn't thought of pulling the act sooner. A coward she was, for being too afraid of the consequences, for being too stubborn to admit that she could never be happy in the presence of her parents.

 

 

Her lips curled as she chortled lightly. She didn't need to worry about such things anymore. Swiftly but quietly, Naeun slid through the crack of the fence door, heading for the closest trolley stop that could drop her off at the Grand Central Station.

 

 

Life was too short to look back anyway.

 

 

 

 

 

 

9JBOPAP.png

 

 

 

 

KWiUg7C.png

 

=> I'VE FINALLY UPDATED but this is so bad forgive me

this is like pre- red lion when naeun managed to escape her parents. the rest of the cast will be introduced in the first chapter, probably- so, keep your heads up. 

hope you learned some 1920s slang in here too, though it wasn't too much, since this is only the prologue. < 3