Hot and Cold

Hot and Cold

 

Kai was anxiously waiting at the Gimpo Airport. His friend should be there in a few minutes. He glanced at his watch. "Her plane has already landed."
He ran to the terminal where the passangers from Australia were arriving. From afar he could see his friend's petite figure dragging her overweighted bag. He ran to her.

 

"Jung Dayoung!" He yelled. His friend smiled widely.

"Kai!I told you not to wait for me. You have a lot of work."

Kai hugged her."Work won't run away. Are you tired?"

Dayoung shook her head."I'm OK. It's really nice to be home after a year spent in Australia."

"I'll drop you to your place." Kai said and picked  up her bag."I'll carry this."

Dayoung and Kai were friends since their elementary school. Even though they belonged to different social classes, they were really close, like siblings. Kai's parents were well-off, as they owned one of the biggest pharmaceuthical companies in Korea. On the other side, Dayoung's parents worked in a shoe factory. Her family often struggled to assure Dayoung a normal life. No one knows how Dayoung and Kai became friends. They just clicked. They were both the only children in their families, maybe that was the reason.
Their friendship was always suspicious to everyone. There were rumours that they were dating but they always denied such a thing. Feelings they had for each other were never romantic. Kai had always admired Dayoung because she was an intelligent girl, capable for almost everything. He was fascinated how she worked hard to achieve her dreams. 
To Dayoung, Kai was someone who made her life brighter and happier. He was the one who made her cry from laughter, the one who was with her when she had the hardest moments in her life. How much she was grateful to him, she was afraid she could never repay him.
Jung Dayoung was a hardworking, modest girl. Thanks to her hard work and desire to become successful, she obtained a phD in biochemistry and had worked in a research lab in Australia for a year. Kai's father had promised to give her a job in one of their labs as soon as she came back from Australia. He had an immense respect for her and her parents.

 

"Dayoung-ah, come tomorrow  to sign the contract. I'm so happy that you'll work in our company." Kai said as he was carrying her bag in her bedroom.

"I have to thank  your father once again for the opportunity he gave me. I am really touched."

"Why is this bag so heavy?" Kai sighed. "Don't tell me you brought a kangaroo?" he added jokingly. Dayoung laughed out loud.
Kai looked at his watch. "Look at the time! I have to go! See you tomorrow, Dayoung-ah. And don't forget about the lunch at 2 o' clock!" He rushed out of her apartment.
Dayoung threw herself on the bed. It was nice to be home after a long time. She was happy to see Kai again and she couldn't wait to start working.

 

 

"Sehun-ah, Dayoung arrived!" Kai screamed as soon as he saw his friend at the restaurant.
Sehun glared at him."Kai, there are people everywhere! Don't scream!"

Kai just grinned while other people  stared at him. "And where is Ms Dayoung?"Sehun asked. Kai told him a lot about Dayoung in the past, but the two have never met. Sehun and Kai knew each other for five years. Sehun knew everything about Kai, but he had never met his best female friend, Jung Dayoung. Sometimes Kai talked so much about her that he became annoyed.

"I took her home. She needs to get some rest. You will meet her tomorrow. I reserved us a table here for two o'clock."

Sehun nodded. "I guess I'll finally meet her. Is she going to work in your company?"

"Yes! You'll see her. She is such a nice girl, hard-working and kind."
 Oh no, not again. Kai started to praise his friend again. Sehun heaved a sigh. How Kai described Dayoung, he expected her to be the most beutiful creature in the whole world. He didn't believe in friendship between men and women and he thought that Kai was head over heels in love with Dayoung. But at the same time, he knew Kai very well. He knew that he wouldn't hide his feelings towards her. If Kai liked a girl, he would confess her. That was the thing that puzzled Sehun the most. If he liked Dayoung, why didn't he confess? And besides, Kai showed interest in other women and dated normally.

 

Oh Sehun was a story for himself. He was dubbed as one of the biggest charmers and playboys among the rich kids, an irresponsible spoiled guy. Total opposite of Kai. They became friends through their companies mutual projects, as they were in charge of the meetings. Sehun was often late, so Kai covered him up. Although they were completely different, they got along really well. They liked to hang out after work, spending most of their time talking, sometimes drinking. Sehun learned a lot about business from Kai. He refused to work with anyone else but Kai. He didn't want to be in the business, though.
Sehun only wanted to throw parties and have fun. That was what he did most of his life,until one day his father decided to stop him. He gave him a job at their company and obliged him to be there from Monday to Friday. That gave Sehun little time for clubbing and women. He was only left with Friday and Saturday, when he could loose himself and do whatever he wanted. Did Sehun have a girlfriend? Yes, every month another one. He would tell those girls that he had no intention to stay with them for more than a month, but they still sticked to him like he was made of glue. Did he love those girls? No. He never felt such a thing for them. He was unfamiliar with the feeling of falling in love. Sometimes he would wonder if that was normal, because he saw all the people around him falling in love and getting married, but he was different. Kai often told him that one day he would fall in love with someone, but as time went by, he wasn't really sure about that. He decided that the best thing for him would be to continue with his current lifestyle. Who cares about love anyway?

 

 

After signing the contract and thanking Kai's father, Dayoung went to Kai's office. They were both smiling brightly. "Congrats, my friend!" Kai exclaimed. "You are now my employee. Are you scared?" he smirked.

She frowned. "Me, scared? Of you? Not gonna happen." Kai glared at her. "So, are we going to the lunch or not? It's almost two."
Kai smacked himself on the forehead. "I almost forgot. Let's go. You have to meet my best friend."

Dayoung sighed. "I hope you are not trying to set me up with someone." He was  pleading her to get a boyfriend, but she always opposed. "It's been a while since you last dated someone", he used to say.

Kai shook his head. "This time I'm not doing that. Sehun is a good friend of mine and I just want you to know him and him to know you, because both of you are important to me."

She nodded and they headed  to the restaurant. Sehun was surprisingly on time, probably for the first time in his life. He looked to the door and saw Kai and Dayoung entering. They approached the table.

Kai's smile was wide as he pointed at his friend. "This is Jung Dayoung. Dayoung-ah, this is Oh Sehun."
Dayoung bowed slightly. "Nice to  meet you."

Sehun blinked a few times. For a moment it seemed like he forgot to speak."Nice to meet you, Dayoung-sshi", he replied. They sat and ordered their food.
Sehun observed Dayoung from head to toes, like he did to every woman. He was completely shocked by her appearance. She had no make-up, wore jeans and a simple black shirt. Deffinitely different from the girls he was used to. If he had seen her in the street, he wouldn't give her  a second glance. Now he had to spend at least an hour with her. He couldn't hide his disappointment because he didn't expect her to look like this. From what Kai told him, she was supposed to be like an angel fallen from the skies, but in his eyes, she was the opposite. She wasn't ugly, but she was just too plain to him. 
OK, I'll do this for Kai, he thought.

"Dayoung-shhi, I heard from Kai that you worked in Australia." He started the  conversation.

"Yes, I just got back yesterday. I worked there for a year", she replied. 

"How was it to work there?"

"It was great. I've learned a lot and I got the chance to improve my English."

"Nice."

They both noticed that Kai was more quiet than usual. Dayoung nudged him. "What's wrong with you, Kai?

He pouted. "I'm so hungry that I can't talk." Sehun chuckled.

The waiter brought their meals. Kai immediately started eating.

"It looks like you haven't eaten for three days", Dayoung joked. Kai just nodded, choking with food.

After they had lunch, they sat in the restaurant's garden and talked. Sehun realised that Dayoung was as smart as Kai described her. She was educated and well-mannered. In Dayoung's eyes, Sehun was handsome, really  handsome, but she couldn't see nothing else in him but that. She couldn't read him. He wasn't a bad person, she was sure about that, but he seemed to be really different from Kai. 
Dayoung glanced at her phone. "I'm afraid I have to go."

Kai sulked. "Why?"

"I am going to see Joonmyun. He called me this morning", she said without looking him in the eyes.

Kai frowned. "OK. I'll see you tomorrow", he said soullessly. Sehun noticed that something was wrong, but he didn't want to interfere. He didn't care. Dayoung said goodbyes and left the restaurant.
Kai and Sehun soon left the restaurant, too. Sehun asked Kai to drop him home.

"And, what do you think about Dayoung?" Kai asked. He was curious about Sehun's opinion. 

"I don't know. She is unusual." Sehun replied, avoiding to tell him his real opinion.

"She is special, isn't she?"

"I saw nothing special in her, that's my opinion", Sehun blurted.

Kai didn't seem to be bothered by that. "I know, you are not used to that kind of women. I don't blame you, Sehun-ah. You only have eyes for girls with tones of make-up on their faces and skimpy clothes."

"She doesn't wear make-up at all?"Sehun asked.

"Yes. I've never seen her wearing make-up. I respect her even more because of that. Back at high school a lot of girls about that, but she didn't care." After a few moments of silence Kai spoke again. "I see that she came as a shock to you", he chuckled. 
Sehun smiled. "I have to admit that."

"I hope you two will get along well", Kai said. Sehun sighed.

 

 

It was Friday night, Sehun's time for fun. He was sitting in a club, his new "girlfriend" resting on his lap. Her arms were wrapped around his neck, her fingers playing with his collar. His hands carressed her tighs and a smirk appeared  on his face. The girl winced from his touch.
"Your hands are so cold", she whined. Even though the club was packed with people and it was as hot as hell in there, Sehun's hands were freezingly cold. It had always been like that. His hands couldn't be warm no matter what he had tried.

"But the rest of my body isn't", he whispered seductively in her ear. The girl smiled playfully.

"I want to check that", she said and tucked one of her hands under his shirt.

"Let's go upstairs!" he said. He was a frequent guest at that club and he had reserved one of the rooms for himself and his girls. As soon as they entered the room, the girl started stripping her clothes. Seeing her lying on the bed, Sehun forgot about all the stress and the things that bothered him. He forgot about everything. It was time for him to enjoy.

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Months passed after Dayoung came back from Australia and started working at Kai's company. She enjoyed her job. She was working on a new medicine alongside  the company's best experts. Kai introduced her to a lot of people and helped her to get used to her new working environment. She didn't get to see him often, because he was in the Managment Sector, but they sometimes hung out after work or met during the break.She would sometimes run into Sehun, he came to the company often because of the preparations for the unification of his and Kai's company. They would simply greet each other and go  their separate ways. 

"Sehun-ah, hurry up! The presentation will start in ten minutes!" Kai urged him over the phone.

"I'll be there in a minute." Sehun replied. Two minutes later he was sitting in the chair next to Kai's. 

"What is the presentation about?" he asked.

Kai glared at him. "It's about our newest discovery and a new medicine that our scientists have been developing during the past months. Dayoung will hold the presentation." Sehun looked around the conference room and spotted Dayoung who was just two meters away from him. She was standing in front of the white board. One of the staff turned the projector on and the image flashed on the board. Everyone got silent. She smiled, greeted everyone and started with the presentation. 
 

The passion that exploded out of her while she was disclosing the results of the reseach fascinated Sehun. Even though he didn't understand a word she said, science wasn't his field at all, with her every word he grew more curious about her. He observed her face, analysed its every feature. The way her lips formed when she spoke, the way her eyes moved from the board to the rest of the room, made him feel warm inside. His eyes opened widely so he could absorb more of her. His heart started beating faster. What was going on, he didn't know, but he didn't want to look away from her. She attracted him. Dayoung smiled once again and everyone gave her a round of applause. Sehun joined the applause, too, although his hands could barely move. Kai smiled proudly at her and gave her thumbs up. After everyone congratulated her for the great presentaton, she approached Kai and Sehun.
 

"Was it that good?" she said.

"You were awesome, Dayoung-ah!" Kai exclaimed. "Wasn't she?" he turned to Sehun, who didn't hear him because he was staring at her. Kai nudged him.
"Oh yes, you were great indeed, Dayoung-sshi", he said after Kai woke him up. Dayoung brought her face closer to Sehun.

"Are you alright, Sehun-sshi? You look pale", she said, a hint of worry in her voice.

His heart was now beating even faster as her face was so close. He gulped. "I-I am alright", he stuttered. Kai eyed him. "Are you sure?" 

"Yes, I'm fine", he said, not looking away from Dayoung.

"I have to go back to work", she said. Sehun suddenly saddened. "I'll see you later." She went to the lab. Sehun felt the urge to run after her.
"Kai, I have to go," he said and moved to the direction of the lab.

"Sehun-ah, exit isn't that way!" he shouted after him, but he didn't listen. Sehun knew very well where the exit was, but he didn't want to leave now. He had to talk to Dayoung. He found her at the lab's entrance.

"Dayoung-shhi!" She turned around. Surprized to see him, she muttered his name.

"I have something to ask you", he said. "Sure", she said.

"Could we meet at the cafe across the road, tomorrow, after work ?" He couldn't believe that he had asked her that.

"Why?" she asked. At first he was surprized by her answer, but then he remembered that she was not like other women who couldn't wait to get an opportunity to spend time with him. And she didn't know him well.

"I would...would like to talk to you more about today's presentation." God, he never sounded less confident in his life. What is she doing to me?

Dayoung smiled. "I see. But we can talk about it here."

OK, I am stupid, he cursed mentally at himself. "Yes, but we wouldn't talk only about work. We never hang out after work and I was wondering..."

"Alright. I'll see you tomorrow after work", she said. Sehun was so happy that he could jump. He smiled brightly and Dayoung entered the lab, leaving him jumping from happiness. He rushed home. Through the entire day the only thing he could think of was Dayoung. If only he could speed up time to meet her as soon as possible.

 

 

"Kai, Kai, Kai!" Sehun run into Kai's office. Kai freaked out. He thought someone died or something like that. Sehun smiled. "It's nice to see you, my friend. I just came to tell you that I'm in a good mood."

Kai thought he could kill him. "Why were you yelling like that? I thought something bad happened. You always make me worry." He sighed. Sehun sat and twirled in his chair.

"Kai, I have to ask you something about Dayoung."

"Dayoung?" he frowned.

"Yes. Did she ever date anyone?"

Kai looked at him in disbelief. "Why do you ask that? Of course she dated, not everyone see her the way you do," he blurted out. Sehun ignored his last remark. "When was that?"

Kai sighed. "Last time she dated was four years ago." Sehun's mouth were now wide opened. "He was her first boyfriend. They dated for a year and broke up four years ago."

"Why did they break up?" Sehun asked. It must have been something really bad, because she hadn't dated after that.

"I don't know, but I'm sure that it was his fault. All these years I was begging her to get a boyfriend, but she always rejected to do so. I'm afraid that she hasn't got over him yet." A deep sigh left his mouth. Sehun couldn't believe his friend's words. Was she that hurt?

 He left Kai's office and went to the cafe to wait  for her. She came a little after him. He was happy to see her. His heart started thumping faster.

"I ordered us two coffees", he said, "if you don't mind."

"It's OK", she said. "So, how was your day at work?"

Sehun flinched. He blabbered something and asked her how was her day. 

After the small talk, Dayoung asked him :"Are we going to talk about work?"

Sehun smiled. "Let's leave work for later. I want to get to know you better, Dayoung-sshi. I wasn't really friendly when we first met. I mean, I was a bit shocked when I saw you."

"Shocked?!" she said half loudly. He shrugged. "Yes. You weren't wearing any make-up and it really surprized me. I've never seen a woman without make-up before." Dayoung's eyes went to her hands. "But you look good without it," he added, afraid that she might be offended for what he had said.


 She smiled. "Thank you." The waiter brought the coffees and Sehun took out his wallet to pay. He handed the waiter his credit card. Dayoung took out her wallet to pay for her coffee, but Sehun shook his head.

"I'll pay for today", he said. "Then I am in debt to you", she said. "You can buy  me coffee next time", he said. She nodded and took a sip of her coffee. 
Sehun's eyes switched from her eyes to her lips. They weren't too plump and to him they looked really soft.

"Sehun-sshi, your coffee is going to cool down," she chuckled. He took his cup of coffee and hugged it with his hands.

"It's still warm." He kept his hands on the mug. "My hands are cold, I'll  warm them up a bit." Dayoung hesitated for a second, but then stretched her hand and took Sehun's hand. Suddenly, Sehun felt a warm wave going through his entire body. Her touch was so soft and her hands were so warm. He wanted her hand to stay there forever.
 

"Your hands are really cold. It's probably because of a slow blood circulation. You should try working out or doing sports", Dayoung said and quickly removed her hand from his. Sehun stared at her. His hand was still warm from her touch. 

"Dayoung-sshi", he managed to speak after a few minutes. She left him completely speechless, which no woman had ever done. "Do you have time for a dinner?" She was a bit surprized by his sudden invitation.

"I-I don't know, I'm busy lately", she said quietly. Sehun felt disappointed. Maybe she doesn't want to spend time with me alone.

"Kai can join us, too", he said. He was so desperate to spend more time with her. She shrugged."If I have time, I'll let you know".

He sighed. At least he tried. Dayoung looked at the front door and a big smile appeared on her face. Sehun turned around in his chair and saw a guy coming towards them. Who the hell is he?!; that was the only thing he could think. The guy quickly appeared at their table. Sehun immediately scowled.

"Hi, Dayoung-ah!" the guy said. She smiled brightly. She looked at Sehun, who looked puzzled and quite unsatisfied. 

"Hi, Joonmyun oppa", she said.

Sehun frowned. Oppa?! She's calling him oppa? He couldn't help but to feel jealous at the guy. Dayoung turned to him.

"Sehun-sshi, this is my friend Kim Joonmyun." The guy nodded. "And this is my co-worker Oh Sehun." Sehun forced a smile. I'm just a co-worker.  

"I have to talk to you, Dayoung-ah", Joonmyun said. Sehun rolled his eyes. Don't you see that she is with me now, you idiot!"

"Can we go somewhere else?" Joonmyun said, looking at Dayoung. "Do you have something important to tell me?" Joonmyun nodded.
Dayoung gave Sehun an apologetic look. He knew that she was asking him to go, but he didn't want to go and leave her with that guy. And who was he anyway?! He sighed. "Alright, Dayoung-sshi. If you have to talk to your friend, go and talk."

She smiled. "Thank you, Sehun-sshi. I'm really sorry."
She got up and left together with Joonmyun. Sehun slammed the table with his fist. He never felt more furious in his life. He felt like a little child whose toy had been taken away. He wasn't used to losing anything to someone else. And that guy just took her away in front of him. What did that guy had to tell her, who was he? A lot of things were going through his mind. The only thing he could do was to go and see Kai. 
 
"Who is Kim Joonmyun?" Those were Sehun's first words as he stepped into Kai's apartment.

"Hello to you too! I'm fine, thank you", Kai said ironically. Sehun just waved his hand in annoyance. "Who is Kim Joonmyun?" he repeated firmly this time.

Kai leaned forward to get a closer look of Sehun's face. And he saw that he was angry, really angry. He sighed. "Kim Joonmyun is Dayoung's ex boyfriend." Sehun stared at him in disbelief.

"He is her WHAT?!" he shouted.

Kai shrugged. "Yeah, the only boyfriend she has ever had. But why are you angry? How do you know about him? And why does he concern you?"

Sehun inhaled deeply. "I was at the coffee shop with Dayoung." Kai's eyes opened widely.

"You were with Dayoung?!" Sehun ignored him. "We were sitting together and than that Joonmyun guy came and told her that he had something important to tell her AND SHE LEFT WITH HIM!!!" His voice got louder wih every single word.

"That wasn't very nice of them", Kai said, "but the question is what were you doing with Dayoung and why does she concern you?" He looked at Sehun, expecting him to answer.

"I don't know,Kai! I don't know why I worry about her!" He ruffled his hair in frustration. "I just want to spend more time with her, to get to know her better, to be the only man she has eyes for."

Kai jumped up excitedly. "I can't believe! Let me write down today's date! Oh Sehun! You're in love!" He smirked. "And I remeber you saying how she was nothing special."

Sehun glared at him. "Don't laugh! For the first time in my life I really like a girl and she has an ex boyfriend whom she probably still  loves and who is messing around her again! It would have been better if I hadn't fallen for her."

Kai shook his head. "Don't give up at the very beginning! Where is the self confident Sehun I know? She is not with Joonmyun, so you still have a chance."

Sehun looked to the floor. "The self confident Sehun turns into a clumsy boy in front of Dayoung. And you said that she isn't over him yet. Where are my chances? Besides, she left me alone in the cafe and went with him."

Kai rolled his eyes. "Look at him! Already in a depression! And you've been in love for like....Since when did it start?"

"Yesterday at the presentation."

"Since yesterday?! Well, that escalated quickly. Now, tell me how you feel." 
 

The guys talked for a long time before Sehun went home. Kai gave him some encouraging words. He was happy that Sehun had fallen for Dayoung, but at the same time he was afraid that she might not accept his feelings. He promised Sehun to help him about Dayoung, but inside he was sceptical. Knowing Dayoung very well, he knew that Sehun's chances were little, and besides, Joonmyun was there. 

___________________________________________________________________________

"Kai, hurry up! We have a dinner with Dayoung, we can't be late!" Sehun was yelling at Kai for not getting ready on time. Kai got out of his room, putting on his jacket.

"Now you know how it's like to wait for someone."He sticked out his tounge to him. They rushed out of the apartment and hurried to the restaurant.
 

It had been two months since Sehun had fallen for Dayoung. They became friends and often met at or after work. Most of the times Kai was with them, they were rarely alone. Sehun noticed that she was more comfortable when Kai was around. He was a bit frustrated because of that, but he was happy that he could spend time with her, with or without Kai. 
For those two months Sehun stopped hanging out late in the night, drinking and bringing different girls to his house. No one could believe that he could transform like that. But he did. And he didn't miss his old life. He realised that one day he would have to make that change. Dayoung was now the center of his world. Whenever she needed him, he was there. Even when she didn't need him, he would appear. He would sometimes stalk her, no, he would "accidentaly" show up at the same shop she was or he would "run into" her while she was buying groceries, and ask her to help him choose which kind of olive oil to buy. Like he ever cooked. 

"Hi, guys!" Dayoung waved to them. "What took you so long?"
Sehun gave Kai a glare. "Because Mr Kim didn't get up in time." Kai pouted. She smiled at the two. She was happy with them. They had the power to make her forget about everything that troubled her. She liked Sehun as a friend, but based on his behaviour she began to suspect that he could have fallen for her, which she didn't want to happen. Something was different in his eyes when they looked at her.

"Did you order for us?" Kai asked. Dayoung nodded. Sehun was sitting next to her, of course.

"Dayoung-ah, are you going to the party for the company's anniversary?" he asked, praying that she would say yes.

"Yes, I'll go", she sighed, "even though I hate parties."

"Why?" he asked. "Because she has to wear a dress", Kai jumped in, "and she hates them." She nodded. 

"I didn't know that you hated dresses." Sehun sighed. No matter how much he liked her and how much he knew about her, he could never know more about her than Kai. He became jealuos of his best friend.

"Nevermind, I'm so glad that you're going", he grinned and ruffled her hair. 

They stayed at the dinner longer than usual. They had a day off and decided to enjoy a bit. Sehun drank a bit more and smiled non stop. He swung his arm around Dayoung's shoulders. She was a bit surprized by his move, but she thought that was because he was a bit tipsy. He tightened his grip on her shoulder.

"Do you know, Dayoung-ah, how much I respect you and admire you?" he said. She awkwardly nodded her head.

Kai got up. "Sehun-ah, you drank a lot. Let her go." He was afraid that Sehun would tell her everything he felt for her and he had to stop him. 

Sehun ignored him and hugged her. "Dayoung-ah, you are really special. Kai, let me go!" he said as Kai tried to separate him from her. "Kai, let me go!" he whined like a child. He didn't want to stop hugging her. He needed the warmth she radiated. Kai luckily managed to separate him, even though he strongly resisted.

"Dayoung-ah, I'll take him home", Kai said as he was putting Sehun on his back. 

Dayoung opened the door of his car and Kai put him on the back seat. 
 

"Kai, where is Dayoung?! Where is she?!" he shouted. "Shut up, I'm driving!" Kai shouted back. Sehun curled up on the back seat and started crying. "She doesn't love me, she will never love me", he sobbed. "She only loves that guy." He cried like a little baby. They quickly arrived to Sehun's place. Kai brought him into the apartment and helped him to get to the bed. 
"I really can't believe that this is the Oh Sehun I know", Kai sighed. He was sad for his best friend, but on the other hand he was glad that Sehun learned something about life, which is that you can't always have everything you want.


 

A huge buquet of flowers was waiting for Dayoung on her desk. Who sent this?, she wondered. Who ever sent it knew which were her favourite flowers, because the flowers were white roses. 

"I brought those", she heard Sehun. He was standing at the door. "I got drunk last night and...Kai told me that I bothered you so I apologize."

She gave him a smile. "You didn't have to apologize. You were drunk, but you didn't do anything wrong." She took his hand. And again, her warmth warmed his entire body. He didn't hear  words who were coming from , he only saw them opening and closing. He barely managed to resist the urge to kiss her. She let go of his hand.
 

"Thank you, Sehun-ah. You are a real friend", she said softly. He smiled, but he wanted to cry and shout to her how much he loved her. He left soon, leaving Dayoung alone with her thoughts. She was now sure that he was in love with her. She was sure of that the other evening he got drunk and almost told her everything. Kai knew about that, too, she was sure. Sometimes she tried to imagine herself with Sehun, but her feelings for Joonmyun were preventing from doing that. It was like they were tying her.

_______________________________________________________________________________

 

The party prepared in the honour of the company's anniversary was more than grandious. The representatives of the other companies were there and many other important people. Kai and Sehun were standing at the table with a lots of food on it. Sehun would peek at the entrance once in a while to see if Dayoung was there. 
 

"Hey, try this wine, it's  great", Kai nudged him. Sehun didn'trespond. His eyes were on Dayoung. She shyly approached them. 

"You look....stunning", Kai said. That was the first time for him to see Dayoung in a short dress, really short dress. Sehun was watching her without blinking. "You even wear make-up." He patted Sehun's shouder and he shook his head.

"Dayoung-ah, you are gorgeous", he spoke, his eyes never leaving her. 

Soon Kai's father held a speech and after that the band started to play. Sehun decided to ask Dayoung for a dance and he flashed his best smile.

"Would you like to dance with me?" he asked. Dayoung nodded and they stepped to the dance floor.

Her hand slipped into his. He gently put his arm around her waist and they started dancing.

"You are a great dancer", she said. Sehun smiled proudly. He felt like he could fly. Dayoung was in his arms, dancing with him, her face close to him. She had light make-up on her face and a bit of red lipstick on her lips. He accidentally looked to the door and saw Joonmyun coming in. He frowned for a second, but then he smirked and pulled Dayoung closer, making her flustered. Joonmyun glanced at them and he didn't seem to like what he had seen. Sehun didn't care. He was now fighting the urge to kiss her, he had no time to think about Joonmyun. Suddenly, Dayoung stiffened.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"Joonmyun came", she replied shyly and wiggled out of his hands. She turned around and left. He knew that he lost her. That moment she let go of his hand, he knew that she would never be his. Her warmth  was still lingering on his hand. Anger and jealousy filled him up. He felt like he could explode. 
Dayoung went to greet Joonmyun. They talked and laughed.

Clenching his fists, Sehun left the party without anyone knowing. He was driving down the road, completely lost, not knowing where he was heading. After a while he found himself parked in front of the restaurant where he had first met Dayoung. He remembered that day. He was frustrated because of work and Kai told him that he wanted him to meet his best friend. He wasn't really overwhelmed with that, but he couldn't say no to him. He remembered how Dayoung wasn't anything special to him when they first met. It took him months to see how good she was, how simple she was. He cursed loudly at himself. He  started the car and headed to the hotel where the party was held. He couldn't stand it anymore.


 

The party was almost over. Some guests were leaving and Kai had to greet them all. Sehun rushed to Dayoung, who was standing alone in the hall, obviously waiting for someone. She saw him running to her.
"Sehun-ah, where have you-", before she could complete her sentence, he grabbed her wrist and started dragging her. "Sehun-ah, what are you doing? It hurts me!"
He didn't respond. He dragged her to the hotel's emergency exit and they went out. His car was parked right there. He pushed her into the car and slammed the door shut. Dayoung trembled. This was the first time she saw him act like this and she was afraid. He entered the car.

"What's wrong, Sehun-ah? Why are you like this?" she asked, trying not to sound scared.

He turned his face to her and the look in his eyes horrified her. She could see nothing but darkness in them.

"Who are you?" she whispered.

 "I don't know."

In about twenty minutes they were in front of his apartment's door. Dayoung's breathing became faster. She assumed what could be his next step, but she didn't want to think about it. He opened the door and shoved her inside. The next thing she felt were his arms who wrapped around her in a tight embrace. Too tight for her to break it. 
 

"I love you", he whispered and smashed his lips on hers. She shut her lips tightly, but fighting Sehun at that point was useless. He kissed her roughly, passionately, biting her lips. Dayoung felt tears running down her cheeks. 

"Don't cry", he said, finally breaking the kiss. He picked her up and took her to his bedroom.

"What are you doing?" Her body trembled. He put her down on the bed and hovered above her. She tried to wiggle out, but he grabbed her wrists and pinned her down.

"I love you, Dayoung-ah. I won't hurt you." His voice was firm, it scared her.

Tears formed in her eyes. "Please, Sehun-ah, let me go."

His eyes pierced right into hers. "You don't understand. I have never lost anything in my life. I've always had everything I wanted. But you...With you it was different. When I fell for you, I couldn't have you. And it drove me crazy." He sighed in frustration. "I loved you and you loved Joonmyun. I was patient until today. When you left me alone at the dance floor and went to him, I was ruined. I can't stand being without you anymore, Dayoung-ah."   He burried his face in her neck, kissing it. 

"Sehun-ah, don't...Please," she pleaded.

"Don't say my name like that!" he hissed. "It makes me want you even more." He looked her in the eyes and saw tears and fear. "You can't love me, can you?" She cried even harder. He closed his eyes an took a deep breath. Seeing her like that made him come to his senses. "You are choosing him, right?" She faintly nodded. A painful grimace appeared on his face. "Can I ask you one more thing?" She nodded again. "Sleep in my arms tonight. I won't do anything to you, I promise."

"I-I will stay with you tonight."

He let go of her wrists and got off of her. Then he lay next to her and back hugged her. "Dayoung-ah, you are so warm. You know, you are the only one who can warm me up. You have the warmth I need." He gulped. "At least tonight you will be with me." She couldn't see his face, but by the sound of his voice she could see that he was trying hard not to cry. She felt sorry for him. 
 

"Can we stay friends after this?"she asked. She didn't want to lose him as a friend, but that seemed impossible after what had happened.

"I can't stand seeing you with another man, Dayoung-ah. I can't be close to you knowing that you are someone else's." His voice trembled. "When you leave this place tomorrow, you will never see me again. Now, let's sleep."

Dayoung stayed awake for awhile, while Sehun fell asleep soon. 

 

The night passed in a blink of an eye. Dayoung woke up before Sehun. She wanted to get up, but his hands were tightly wrapped around her, preventing her to move. How come that he had was so strong even in his sleep. She turned her head to him and saw him sleeping. He was so senere, she could say even cute. Letting out a deep sigh, she closed her eyes.

"You are already awake?" he said. His voice flustered her.

"Yes. I woke up few minutes ago", she replied quietly.

"I kept my promise, didn't I? I didn't do anything to you."

"Can I get up now?" she asked. He wrapped his arms even tighter around her.

"Dayoung-ah, if you ever feel alone or sad, feel free to come to me. And...I want you to know that my feelings for you will never change."

Tears formed in her eyes. "Thank you, and I'm sorry." Sehun was reluctant to let her go. The night she had spent in his arms made him even harder to let her leave. But he knew that it would be stupid and useless to hold her against her will. His arms slowly set her free. She quickly got up and put on her shoes. Without a word she left the apartment, leaving him curled up in the bed, crying and shouting.

 

A year later
 

"Sehun-ah, I haven't seen you for ages!" Kai exclaimed as he hugged his best friend. Sehun chuckled.

"What ages? It's only been two months." Kai shook his head. "It's too long."

Since that night and everything that happened with Dayoung, Sehun had been living in Busan. He decided to quit the job his father had given him and start his own. He bought an old motel and reconstructed it. Since Busan was a popular touristic destination, the motel was constantly full. Kai would come to Busan sometimes with his girlfriend, whom he had met ten months ago. Her name was Yeonhee.
 

Sehun pretty much enjoyed his life in Busan. The weather was warm most of the time, the sun and the see made his days much better. He still liked Dayoung, but he never asked Kai about her. He just didn't have the courage for that. She was probably happy, he thought, she was with the man she loved.

"So, how's the bussiness going?" Kai asked to break the silence while they were driving to Sehun's apartment.

"It's going pretty good. We have tourists from around the world arriving here and staying there. I might even turn it into a hotel."

Kai nodded. "You have changed. You've gotten more serious. I guess being away from Seoul was a good thing after all." He remebered how much he didn't want Sehun to leave Seoul. But now that turned out to be good.

"You didn't bring Yeonhee this time. And I thought you two couldn't live without each other." Sehun .

Kai glared. "She had some work so she had to stay. And we can live without each other."

"Come on, I saw you texting her hearts like, every  minute", he smirked. 

"When did I do that?!" Kai sulked. Sehun teasingly smiled. "I'm just kidding, Kai. Relax."

Kai wanted to tell him something, but he bit his lip. He didn't know how would he react. 

"Tell me what is it", Sehun spoke. "There is something you want to tell me, Kai. Tell me." Kai sighed. "Don't you want to know how is she doing?" By she he meant Dayoung.

Sehun gulped. "Of course I want to know." In the corner of his eye he could see Kai smiling.

"You know, she got promoted into the chief scientist at our company. She got a few offers from Japan, but she rejected them all." 
A big smile appeared on Sehun's face. He was glad that she was doing great at work.

 

"And she broke up with Joonmyun."

"What?!" Sehun blurted and stopped the car in the middle of the road. "She broke up with him?! When, why, how did that happen?!" he shouted. He was happy and worried at the same time. He was happy because she was single, but worried because she was probably hurt. "Kai, tell me what happened!"

Kai crossed his arms. "I will tell you everything but first start the car. We are standing in the middle of the road!" Sehun mentally slapped himself. He peeked through the window just to see a whole bunch of angry drivers who were blowing their horns and cursing at him for slowing them down.


"They broke up a month ago?! But why didn't you tell me earlier?!" 

Kai was laying on the couch, calmly observing Sehun who was obviously too irritated by him. "I didn't tell you because you never asked me about her."

"How did they break up? Did that bastard hurt her?" he fumed.

Kai sat up."She told me that they broke up because he got a new job in the US and they couldn't be in such a long-distance relationship. But I think that she didn't tell me everything. Judging by her behaviour it seems that's not the reason."

Sehun sighed deeply. "Do you think that I have a chance with her now?" He looked hopefully at Kai.

Kai shrugged. "You should try. But you're in Busan, not in Seoul. I think that's not in your favour." They both looked to the ground.
"I KNOW!" Kai shouted all of a sudden, which scared Sehun. "I can invite her to come here on a holiday with me and Yeonhee. We can stay at your motel. What do you say?"

Sehun's face lit up. "I agree! Call her right now!" Kai rolled his eyes. "You're so impatient! I can't call her right now. You'll have to wait for two weeks. That's when we'll be able to get some days off."

"Two weeks?! No way!" he whined. Kai smiled at his friends childness. "You have enough time to plan what to do. Sehun-ah, don't embarrass me!"

________________________________________________________________________________
 

Dayoung shook her head at Kai's sudden proposal to go with him and Yeonhee in Busan. She didn't want to be a third wheel, besides, she wasn't in the mood for the sea, sun and couples. Kai kept persisting, not giving up for a single second. After two days of his constant nagging and convincing, she finally gave in.

"OK, I'll go. But really, Kai, why do you insist so much? I am sure that you would like to spend the vacation with your girlfriend alone."

Kai smiled. "I want you to have some rest. Busan is a great town. I'm sure you'll meet a lot of people and have fun." He took out his phone out of his pocket an texted Sehun that she had accepted to come.

 

Back in Busan, Sehun was anxoiusly waiting for Kai's message. For the past two days he was constantly worrying and praying that Dayoung would agree to come to Busan. When Kai texted him that she would be arriving, he jumped off of his chair. He was excited, every muscle of his body was tense. I am going to see her again.


"Yeonhee-ya, Dayoung-ah, we arrived!" Kai shouted, waking up the girls who were sleeping soundly on the back seat. They slowly got up and stretched. Kai was already outside the car, opening the trunk and getting their stuff.

Dayoung breathed in the fresh air. "Wow, the air is so fresh! I have no regrets for coming here with you two." 

Yeonhee smiled gently. "We'll have fun here, I'm sure." 

They went into the motel and took the keys of their bedrooms. Dayoung's room was on the first floor, while Yeonhee's and Kai's was on the second. Dayoung pushed her suitcase into her bedroom and quickly went to shower. After changing into a long white skirt, she decided to get out. She opened the door, but only to see Yeonhee's face seriously judging her.
 

"You're not going out in that awfully long skirt, aren't you? I knew that was going to happen. It's a good thing that I decided to come here." She liked Dayoung, but she really couldn't with her fashion sense. She stormed into the bedroom and turned upside down Dayoung's small suitcase. After a while she found that short red dress she had bought for her. "It's a good thing that you brought this dress with you."

Dayoung shook her head. "I brought it because you would kill me if I did otherwise. But, I'm not wearing it." 

Yeonhee rolled her eyes. "Oh, yes you'll wear it. Otherwise, I won't talk to you. And you know that I keep my promises", she threatened, and Dayoung sighed, giving in. She grabbed the dress and quickly changed. They both went out, waiting for Kai at the reception.

"How can I help you?" they heard a voice speaking behind them. Dayoung suddenly trembled, remembering who was the owner of the voice. It was Sehun. He was standing behind them. They both turned to him.

Yeonhee smiled. "Sehun-ah, it's nice to see you." He smiled, but not looking at her. His eyes were only on Dayoung. Seeing her for the first time after a year made his heart flutter. He realised that his feelings for her were now even stronger. He clenched his fist, fighting the desire to hug her and never let her go. On the other hand, Dayoung was startled. She didn't expect to see him there. She knew that he was living in Busan, Kai told her, but what was he doing in this motel, she didn't know.
 

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

He smiled thriumphally. "Well, this motel is mine. You are my guest, I mean guests, Yeonhee and Kai, too."

Shocked expression was on Dayoung's face. "Really? That's good." Inside, she was feeling more than uncomfortable knowing that she was staying in Sehun's motel. So, this was all Kai's plan, she thought. That brat!

"Dayoung-ah, why don't we two go for  a walk?" Sehun suggested. "I'm sure Yeonhee and Kai wouldn't mind." She accepted his offer, to her own surprise.

They walked out of the motel and strode down to the deck. The sea breeze brushed over them. They were both quiet. It seemed like they didn't want to ruin the perfection of the sea and the shore. Sehun glanced upon her. She was even more beautiful than before. The breeze played with her hair and her eyes were roaming over the sea. She was there, in front of him, and all he wanted was to tell her how much he missed her and how much he loved her.
 

"It's nice here, isn't it?" he broke the silence. She nodded.

"I really like this place. I became attached to it", he said.

"Do you miss Seoul?" she asked.

He smiled faintly. "No, I don't. I missed someone from Seoul, but now that person is here and nothing else is important."

"Sehun-ah, do you still like me?"

"I don't like you, Dayoung-ah. I love you. That hasn't changed even though I haven't seen you for a year." He turned to her and saw her crying. Without thinking any further, he hugged her tightly. The warmth he had missed so much was there again, he felt it again. 

"Don't cry, please. What's wrong?" 

She burried her head in his chest. "Everything is wrong! How could I be so stupid and trust him again? And I made you suffer because of that." He gently rubbed her back. "Will you ever forgive me, Sehun-ah?"She sobbed, tugging his shirt in her hands.

"I have nothing to forgive you, Dayoung-ah. Now tell me what happened." He took her to sit on the nearest bench. She kept holding his hand.

"He fooled me again. He got a new job in the US and left me. But he didn't leave alone. His lover was with him. I saw them leaving at the airport together, hand in hand." She couldn't stop the tears from flowing. Sehun was speechless. He hugged her tightly. "I was such a fool."

"Dayoung-ah, don't cry. You didn't do anything wrong, he did. Please, calm down," he pleaded. It hurt him to see her like that, hurt and desperate. "Let me help you."

She raised her head and looked at him. "Thank you so much. You already helped me. I had to tell someone what troubled me. I wanted to tell Kai, but for some reason I couldn't. I poured my heart to you, Sehun-ah." 

He smiled. "You can always come to me and tell me everything you want. I love you." 

"Why do you love me?"

He blinked a few times. "To be honest, I don't know. I just love you. For the first time in my life I love a woman and that woman happens to be you, Jung Dayoung."

She shyly looked at his eyes. The only thing she could see was pure love in them. She couldn't help but to feel guilty for rejecting him back then. A strange feeling possessed her all of a sudden. She wanted to stay close to Sehun. Her heart wanted that.  "If you love me so much...than, will you accept me? I mean, to be with you." She turned her head away, avoiding to look at him.

Sehun stared at her, completely bewildered. It felt like his heart was about to leave his chest. "Did you just ask me to be your boyfriend? You want to be my girlfriend? I'm not dreaming, right?" he slapped himself, but then winced from pain. She giggled at him. "I accept to be your boyfriend", he said firmly, "but there is only one condition." 

"What is it?"

He motioned at her dress. "You must not wear short dresses in public. While we were walking a few guys stared at you. I don't like that at all", he frowned. "And who gave you that dress anyway? I know that you don't like those kind of dresses."

Dayoung giggled at his cute jealousy. "Yeonhee bought the dress for me. I had to wear it. Don't worry, I'll change when we get to the motel." He smiled. "I promise you that you don't have to worry about short dresses any longer."
He took her hand and they started walking to the motel.

"How about bikinis? Am I allowed to wear them in public?" she asked jokingly, only to receive a glare from her new boyfriend.

"Don't even think about them", he said. "Oh, I forgot! I have another condition. You have to stop hugging Kai so much. The way you hugged him has always bugged me. You have to look, hug and love only me", he pointed at himself.

"OK, my overly jealous boyfriend. And please, no more conditions. I will leave if you suggest one more."

He pecked her lips. "You are not going anywhere, Dayoung-ah. I'm not letting you go anymore."