In the Middle of Night

Small Bump

That time was a few minutes past midnight. Chanyeol slept beside his beloved wife. He just got scloded for forgetting his lunch that day. He was so guilty that he couldn’t face Baekhee. How Chanyeol wouldn’t had been scolded, in the midst of taking care of Taeyang who was barely a month old, she still took time make lunch and he didn’t touch it at all. Instead of angry and upset, she was really worried. Chanyeol’s schedule was really full, he tended to forget everything when he was so into work and that worried Baekhee much –what if Chanyeol got sick. Chanyeol was really sorry.

 

Even in his dreams, Chanyeol could hear the sound of Baekhee scolded him. Frowned, he scratched his cheek. The sound changed, faint sound of crying baby. At first, it was really soft but it got louder and louder. Chanyeol, who was sensitive to sound even he was sleeping, opened his eyes and blinked in the dim light of their room. He forced himself to wake up and sit when he felt the bed moved. Chanyeol turned the small lamp on the nightsand on and saw his wife beside the baby’s crib, holding crying Taeyang.

 

“Ssshh, Momma’s here, baby boy” she patted the baby’s , trying to calm him down. “Why are you crying? Hungry? Or is it your diaper?” she asked in whispering voice while walking to the bed. She checked the baby’s diaper then patted his stubby leg to calm him down, but it didn’t work. Chanyeol sat up and yawned.

 

“Babe?” Chanyeol called softly. Baekhee shifted and looked at him. “What’s wrong?”

 

“Sorry” she said as she rocked the baby. “I don’t know. Taeyangie doesn’t want his milk and his diaper is still okay”

 

"Here, here, let me hold him” Baekhee transferred crying little Taeyang to her husband and watched him getting up. He walked around their room while patting the baby’s back but nothing happened. Taeyang still cried. “Aigo, did a scary monster chase you in your dream?” He asked in sing-a-song voice.

 

Baekhee couldn’t take her eyes off the men of her life. Chanyeol in sweatpants, topless, with Taeyang in his arms, hummed melodious tone and walked around their room. That was a view that limited people could see, and Baekhee was the only one could. The cry died down and Chanyeol walked back to the bed. “Babe? Baek?” he called his dazzed wife.

 

“Yes?” she responded with faint voice and dreaming face. Chanyeol chuckled softly, afraid to wake the now sleeping baby in his arms. “Thank you from calming him down,” she said, caressing Chanyeol’s arm. “and really sorry for scolding you earlier”

 

He just smiled, understanding the reason his wife was so angry, and walked to Taeyang’s crib beside their bed. After putting him down, he caressed the baby’s cheek, thanking God for much blessing he received in his life. The baby squirmed, clearly not liking his father putting him down, so Chanyeol took him again. “Okay, okay, let’s continue our sleep”

 

Chanyeol lied down with Taeyang on his torso and Baekhee fixed the blanket. She stared at his beloved husband in affection then peck his forehead. “I’m really lucky to have you, Papa Chan” she said. In the dimmed room, Chanyeol could hear faint ‘I love you’ whisper.

 

"Same here, Love” he replied. “Same here”