Final.

Homeless

New York, November 1945.

 

Hyosung looked at her pocket mirror, inclining it. Two men at ten feet behind her. She sighed, and put back the mirror in her purse. She wished she had at least a day off, but they would always find her somehow. Man, since this Second World War began, every secret agency would be tracked down and erased. Same with members within those agencies.

While she asked herself how the hell they managed to find her, she sped up and suddenly turned into a dark backstreet.

She leaned on the wall, catching her breath. She stood still, in the darkness. One, two, three.

Two shadows showed up at the corner. Sure, they were here for her.

Well, come on boys. Let the show begins.

One of the two suddenly took something out of his jacket, then with a snap, the weapon outstretched. Expandable baton.

Nice try, handsome, but she had got a gun. The M1911 pistol. She was confident today. She declared they didn’t stand a chance against her. She peeled herself off the wall and stood in front of the two.

“Okay, mates, show me what you got.” she said.

The one with the baton flew at her. She dodged easily, and shot once. She reached his side. He collapsed. Her hair fell on her eyes, and all around her face. God, she spent time to do her hair.

She turned to the last one, a little more pissed. This one didn’t even get the chance to attack her. She shot him right in the head. His body was thrown backwards.

There. She swept the dust on her skirt and blew on her bangs. She put back her gun and get out of the street.

She headed to a building.

 

---

 

“Boys, I need your help.”

She threw her bag on a table. The tall and slender boy who was working on it jumped, and raised his head looking furious.

“Hyosung, I already told you to not do that. My working table is not a ing rest area. It is a working table.”

The girl sat down and fluttered her lashes at him. “What is this? I see you talking like the last time, but I can’t hear a damn thing. This is getting really weird. Though you look cute when you are angry.”

He glared at her, which was legit. “ you Hyosung. You can always dream about this help you need.”

“Ow, come on Zelo.” she whined. “You know that you are the best, and this is why I always keep asking you for help.”

The surnamed Zelo scoffed at the attempt. “Your praises may work on Himchan, but you know how well-immunized I am against your compliments. Go annoy someone else, would you?”

Hyosung raised herself from the chair, and shook her head.

“You are really no fun.” she commented. She headed to the door which led to the main room. “I don’t even know why I like you. You are just a pretty face and an empty shell.”

Zelo returned his nose back down his papers and muttered: “Blah, blah, blah.”

And Hyosung actually did smile.

 

---

 

“Himchan, lovely, I need your help. Oh, and I know you’ve missed me by the way.”

A dark-haired man turned to face her, a newspaper in hands. He looked at her over the weekly, with a smirk.

“The hell I did.”

“Zelo did not.” she pouted. “Anyways, I want information. Can I still find the Red Crocodile at The Secret? Last time I checked, he was doing his business there, but I’ve been gone for weeks and I can’t tell anymore.”

Himchan put the newspaper on the table and took a serious expression. “You are after him? Again? I thought it was a concluded case. This man is the worst I’ve ever seen. You should be careful. You don’t know what you are going into. Please, Hyosung, drop this. You don’t have to.”

“Oh god, Himchan. If I didn’t know you better, I would have kissed you already. You are really sweet, you know. But this is what I’m doing best. Chasing bad guys and make them pay for all the evil they did.”

Himchan sighed. “I know how stubborn you are, so I will stop dissuade you. The Red Crocodile may still be found there. You better be careful though, for he is always escorted by his dogs. There are ten of them, as far as I know. Actually… you should take someone with you.”

His eyes suddenly got that mischievous glint. Hyosung frowned.

“No way… you are not thinking about Zelo, aren’t you?”

As if on cue, the tall boy entered brusquely the room. He had a tiny screwdriver between his teeth, as if he was certainly fixing some electronic device as usual. He looked scandalized at the moment.

“I’m sorry, did I hear right? I thought you were pronouncing my name. I also thought you were proposing I’d go with Hyosung on her suicide mission.”

Hyosung turned to Himchan. “For once, I agree with the kid. It is too dangerous, and he is tall. They could recognize him later.”

“Zelo rarely goes out. And I’m pretty sure he will accept to come with you once I tell him that his gorgeous lady-singer works on Mondays and Thursdays.”

Something on Zelo’s face lit up. He let the screwdriver drop in his hand and cleared his throat. “Well in that case… I am quite sure I can make this effort.”

Himchan scoffed.

Zelo went back to his work. Hyosung looked at Himchan. Who casually smiled. Almost sadly. “I would have loved to be your , Madame, unfortunately I cannot. This freaking wooden leg is not useful for dancing.”

Hyosung had suddenly this dull desperate feeling stinging her heart. She knew Himchan since ages, and they were close. So when Himchan lost his leg in the war, she made him a promise. That she would always hunt the people who wanted to bring war back in their country.

The Red Crocodile was one of them.

 

---

 

She threw a glance at Zelo, who was arranging his hair. She fought back a laugh before saying: “Thank you so much for coming with me tonight.”

The boy glared at her. “I am not doing this for you, don’t get so full of yourself. I’m doing this for Ginger.”

“So her name is Ginger… There is at least one woman in this world who can melt that cold heart of yours, you arrogant and ungrateful giant!”

Zelo gave her a scary smirk. “Like I have told you several times before, so much that I can’t count anymore, Hyosung, you are not my mother.”

He passed before her angrily and entered the bar.

The place was gigantic. There were no windows, though it was not dark with the artificial light due to a great number of lamps. Facing them was a large wooden floor, on which people could dance. All around were tables. The first floor was darker, and gloomier. Silhouettes were hard to discern. It was certainly where the shady business was made. And at the back of the bar was a large scene. A woman was singing, seemingly oblivious at all the stares on her. Including Zelo’s. So she was the Ginger. Her voice was husky, sensual.

Hyosung scanned the place, searching for the only reason she came at that bar. But she couldn’t find anything. Or anyone that interested her. A few minutes later, Zelo and her were sitting at the counter, drinking. Ginger had just stopped singing and was moving through the tables.

Suddenly, as she came close to the counter, a man approached her. He had that dirty smile which Hyosung hated the most. He leaned on the counter, face close to Ginger’s. She seemed very uncomfortable.

Zelo threw a knowing glance at Hyosung. They both knew how it was going to end if they didn’t interfere. The two of them rose up and each of them sat next to the two others. Zelo sat next to Ginger, softly taking her hand so she would step back from the man. Hyosung, on the other hand, put her chin in her palm. The man didn’t except company. He looked furious to have lost his prey. “The lady and I want to be left alone. So get the hell out of here.”

Zelo didn’t even looked at him. “Does this man bother you, Miss?”

Actually, the Ginger seemed relieved. She smiled lightly though. “It’s alright. I can handle this.”

Hyosung glanced at Ginger. “Sweetheart, I’d rather not take that risk. So the gentleman is going to find another lady to bother. Or annoy, your choice.”

The man hissed. Then Hyosung leaned closer to him and pressed on his thigh. The man opened the mouth, only to let out a weak whimper. His whole face screamed pain, but the pressure was too strong. He couldn’t even scream. Hyosung smirked, arranged her hair with one hand. “I think you didn’t hear right. I said, you find yourself another table. And you won’t go near the lady again. Is that clear?”

The man glared at her. Hyosung pressed harder. He couldn’t resist it. He nodded hastily. She released him and he ran away.

Ginger let out a sigh of relief. “Thank you so much. I said I could handle this but… what can I do as thanks?”

“Tell me where I can find the Red Crocodile.”

A glint of worry flicked in Ginger’s eyes. She subtly pointed at the first floor, not saying a word. Hyosung smiled at her. She appreciated the discretion, and the singer’s comprehension.

“Zelo, watch her. Once you get my signal, you will both of you get out of this damned place. Do you understand me?”

“What- No Hyosung you-“

“No buts, Junhong. It is an order.”

Zelo didn’t add anything. He knew she was serious. Hyosung climbed the stairs. She spotted the Red Crocodile. There were three men with him at a table, playing poker. She inhaled. Time for show.

She came closer to her prey, hips moving. The Red Crocodile saw her. They locked eyes and Hyosung smirked. The man leaned back on his chair, put a hand on the top of the chair. Vain bastard. Once she reached him, she puckered:

“Oh, I’m sorry to bother you. It’s just… it’s been a while since I saw a real man in this city.”

No need to say how flattered the man seemed. He looked over his cards for a moment and asked. “And what can I do for you, fine lady?”

Hyosung giggled. “Actually I thought we could talk, to know each other. But I’m sorry, you are busy and I shouldn’t have—“

The man cut her off. “I’m never busy for beautiful ladies.” He threw his cards on the table and when his companions protested, he pointed his finger at them, half rose. “Sorry guys. Funnier business calls. Next drink is on me, ‘kay?”

He smirked and gestured to Hyosung to follow him.

Isolate the prey, done.

They walked across the first floor, to a small balcony outside. Before they went out, she saw Zelo staring at her, and she passed her finger under her eye, and on her temple. That was the signal.

The loud music, the smoke, and the artificial lights got replaced by cars’ horns and the dim lights of the city. And it was cold too. Hyosung couldn’t help herself from shivering.

She was about to ask the man, but adrenaline ran through her veins when two hands tightened around . She tried in a reflex to defend herself, but the man grabbed her hand and twisted it. She wanted to scream but not a sound came out.

“Now, sweetheart. You are gonna tell me what the you are doing at my bar and what you want from me.”

She gasped. The grasp on her neck was cutting all oxygen needed. “I-I don’t know what you are talking abou—“

“Don’t give me that ! I know people like you. I can see the hate in your eyes, despite your acting. Why do you think they call me Red Crocodile?”

Hyosung scoffed and ended up coughing a bit. “Because you make lovely red handbags?”

The man whistled and the grip got unconsciously loosened.

“Look at this… Beautiful and witty, huh? I’m still hesitating though. Police or secret agency?”

Hyosung kept that mocking stare, even if she was slowly losing her thinking capacity due to the lack of oxygen. “Try to guess, love.” she said. “Since you are sooo smart, you should have figured this out.”

The Red Crocodile glared at her. He decided to attack. He released her hand so he could take something in his pocket. Big mistake.

She put both hands on the hand around . She was ready.

Here’s the mistake: in order to take his gun, he had to shift his weight. Therefore the strength on his hand was not that strong anymore and she could handle him easily.

That was exactly what happened. In three seconds, she swept away the gun he was holding and she had tackled him against the wall. She put the gun on his cheek. All playfulness had disappeared from her face.

“I am beautiful, witty, and going to kill you. You are a cockroach, Red Crocodile. For all your dirty work and ideas, you deserved to be crushed. You are destroying this city and I guess you don’t even care.”

The man furrowed his eyebrows. “You are aware that you are no better than me if you kill me?”

Hyosung gave him a wicked little laugh. “I am not pretending to be. I don’t believe in this city’s justice. Heck, I don’t even believe in justice. I’m just doing what is right for me and my friends. I don’t like what you are doing, I’m killing you.”

She sent him a sick smile. The thought of Himchan and his leg crossed her mind and she pulled the trigger.

The Red Crocodile didn’t even scream.

She watched the body slumped down the cement. She put the pistol in her large pocket so it would not fall while she began to escalate the exterior façade. The meeting point was three yards right below her. Carefully, her hands found every hollow.

She landed in a small street, away from too curious passengers. And when she looked up, she met with a pair of familiar brown eyes.

Zelo didn’t say anything. He held out his hand to help her, which she gladly accepted. She noticed the presence of the blonde girl who was standing silently near them.

So he did bring Ginger with him. If he brought her, he knew his job, he knew what he was doing, he knew the responsibilities. If he brought her that would mean he trusted her enough.

Hyosung and Zelo faced each other for a few seconds. No need of words. Slowly, the boy took a handkerchief and gently cleaned her face. She closed her eyes.

She did it. She killed a man. Again.

She titled her face to follow the hand movement. The familiar warmth reassured her a little.

Zelo finally backed up, and weakly scoffed. “Look at this, my handkerchief is stained.”

Hyosung gave him a light smile. “I see now why the name Red Crocodile. The blood is really red, indeed.”

“I hate you.”

Their eyes met again, and this time it was a mix of sadness, regret and relief somehow.

“I did it.” she whispered.

“I know.”

Zelo put a hand on her now cleaned cheek, it lightly with his thumb. “I know.” he repeated.

 

---

 

She was slumped in an armchair, both legs on the armrest. She threw an amused glance at Ginger next to her, then came back to the funnier scene.

“We can’t keep her, she could compromise every mission, she could ruin everything!”

Hyosung sighed. “Himchan, honey, you do know she is right next to you and that she can hear well?”

Himchan took his hat in his hands, to run one through his hair. “I am sorry, Ginger. I didn’t mean it. It’s just we are not supposed to let someone know about our cases.”

The woman gave him a comforting smile. “Don’t worry, I know nothing about it. I didn’t ask Zelo anything about what just happened. All I know is I don’t have a job anymore.”

Zelo threw a panicked stare at Hyosung, who decided to help the poor boy. “Well… I think I will need an assistant after all this incident. Someone who will help me with news of the city and undercover missions. Ginger will be my assistant.”

Himchan raised both hands to replace his hat, which fell on his dark eyes. “You know I can’t refuse you anything, Hyosung. And you do know what you are doing. Both of you.” he added pointing sternly at Zelo.

“Welcome in the team, sweetie.” Hyosung said tenderly to Ginger. She liked the woman, especially if she was capable of melting Zelo’s heart.

“And if that can help” suddenly said the boy. “I fixed the radio.”

Hyosung raised a mischievous eyebrow at Himchan. “New adventures call!”