chapter one

Be Back
chapter one
❝ A horn grows on the buttocks of a mischievous calf.
 
Three Months Later
 
"I have to go, Umma." Ha Jaesook whined behind the doors of her parents' room. Her father, a bus driver, had left the house an hour ago while her mom is still asleep. Jaesook made her own breakfast— the leftover anchovy soup from last night, rice, and two pieces of rolls. Her mom is not a morning person, and lucky for her, her mother-in-law is staying at Mr. Ha's brother.
"Umma, I need money." Jaesook knocks one more time. Her mom told her not to walk in their room without permission. Who knew what she was doing in there?
"Aish." She heard her mom knocking over a table. "Wait."
"And, my siblings have school. They need to, uhh, eat?" She wanted to say but she's too excited about school.
"Hey. I'm already walking to the station," Nam Woohyun texted. This is what she's excited about. She still can't believe that she has something with Woohyun, her crush since last year.
One day during summer break, Woohyun randomly Talk-ed her, asking if she had any plans. Most of the time, she'd say no because her father is a bit too nosy and disapproves of dating. Jaesook is already failing and she needs to focus on her studies. However, she said that she don't have any plans and went out with him. Then, Woohyun confessed.
"I like you, you know that. But, Woohyun, I'm scared of my dad," Were her exact words.
"It's alright. I'm not in a hurry either. Let's take it slow." Woohyun nonchalantly smiled. "But, we're currently in the status of some, ara?"
"Aish." She giggled. "Let's just talk about something else"
She's been friends with Woohyun but she never expect him that he'll like her back.
"Here." Cho Malsook popped her head out of the room with a 1000-won in her right hand.
"Thank you." Jaesook sarcastically said and bowed. What the heck is this?
She abruptly left the house without washing the dishes, and slamming the door so hard that their family picture hanging by the doorway fell. Right now, Jaesook doesn't care. Her family can't give her money, but so what? She has Woohyun now.
"Hi." She breathed as she approached Woohyun, quietly waiting under the bus stop shed . Her heart flutters every time she sees him. It still feels like a dream to her, seeing that Woohyun is waiting for her.
"Hello." He grinned, putting his hands inside his pockets. "I wonder when you're going to allow me to go to your house."
"Someday." She tried to giggle cutely but it sounded like a witch's small laugh. Heol. Up to now, it still feels like a dream. Nam Woohyun likes me!
The bus came, and just as what as expected, Woohyun, known for his polite charms, he carried Jaesook's bag and let her get on first. As they arrived in the subway station, he always made sure that Jaesook is on his right so no one would bump against her.
While waiting for the train, Woohyun sat on a bench to arrange his things inside the bag. Jaesook preferred to stand up and wait, making Woohyun worry about her.. As the train arrives, Woohyun run behind Jaesook, who is patiently waiting for the people to get out.
"Mian." Apologized a familiar face with bunny-like features, when she bump against Jaesook's shoulder. She was wearing a dark pink hoodie and shorts in despite of the autumn air. Jaesook didn't see her eyes because she was wearing sunglasses but from , Jaesook knew that she's seen that girl before. Almost everyday.
"J-jung." She stammered, blood running out of her face. "S-s-soojin." She didn't see the face of the girl clearly, why make conclusions? And, she thought she was over stress about the suicide incident.
"What's that?" Woohyun pulled her in gently inside the train.
"Nothing." She answered quickly. Jung soojin is dead. It must be because of I ate. Jung Soojin. After that suicide, I almost can't sleep for a month. The therapy helps a lot.
The "some" couple arrived at school, their breathes oozing with awkwardness, and infatuation. The school is in the usual state. Some looked happy for having their summer breaks extended. The summer break usually ends on the last week of August but after the incident happened on a senior, the school decided not to pressure students anymore; and even offered therapies to avoid depression.
"Aigoo. Aigoo." Myungsoo cooed, leaning back on the lockers, as he see the two. Words spread fast when their circle of friends knew about their relationship. People also can't believe that one of the popular guys in school is dating a not-so-pretty and unpopular girl.
"Yah, Kim Myungsoo," Woohyun warned about his teasing.
At that moment, a text message came in Jaesook's phone.
"Ha, how are you keeping up?"
It said, from an unknown number. Ha. She was called by her family name in the classroom, just because.
"Woohyun-ah, do you know whose phone is this?" She asked while frowning at her phone.
"Let me see." Woohyun took out his phone a Jaesook gave hers to him. "010-091— Oh. The bell rang. Remind me later."
"Ara." She nodded, retrieving her phone. It's not even important so why bother?
With the bell continuing to deafen the ears of the students, Jaesook's phone vibrated again. Constantly looking on her way, she checked her phone to read the text message.
"Is this yours?"
It Came with an attachment— a picture of a familiar robin's egg blue Kate Spade-imitation wallet.
With her heart starting to pound inside her chest like a lion chasing her, she checked her bag to see if it was her wallet in the picture.
"Hey." Woohyun's hand went on her left shoulder. "Are you alright?"
Nodding quietly as a reply, she inconspicuously put her phone in the pocket of her skirt and began rummaging her bag for the wallet. None was found. Every pocket of the bag: none.
"Who are you?" She typed rapidly while Woohyun was walking ahead of her. Making him worry for her is the last thing she wants right now. She didn't want to be a burden for him, now that they are just starting to build a good relationship. "Did you accidentally pick it or did you take it?"
The next text came five minutes after she arrived in class.
"Accident or not, it doesn't matter. If you want it back (Although, there's nothing much in here), I want you to trash the new girl's locker like you did on Jung Soojin's."
She thought, New girl? Her heart stopped as she read Jung Soojin. She read the text all over again, feeling blood running out of her face, as she sees a dead girl's name.
The whole class became suddenly quiet, making Jaesook more nervous, her heart hammering. Have they seen the text? Do they know that she was the one who messed up with Soojin's locker last April?
"Omo," a girl whispered as she tilted her head upwards. They were all looking on her left— Woohyun. They were all staring at Woohyun, waiting for him to panic, the fact that he was sitting next to a dead girl's seat.
"Back to your seat," Min saem announced breaking the silence. "There is a new student joining us."
Tailing behind the teacher is probably the prettiest girl Jaesook have seen in this class, or maybe this morning. Her skin is glowing and her hair looks glossy-straight perfect. broke into a huge grin— like she knew something big and dirty. Catching Jaesook's eye, the girl blinked lazily as if she just saw something annoying. A pang of jealousy hit her like a train. Now, Jaesook doesn't even know if she can get her wallet back or not. But, because of her impression on the transfer student, she felt the desire to get her wallet back— and to trash her locker.