001

Eyes, Nose, Lips [hiatus]



"I don't actually know what you are planning Sunny but this isn't gonna work okay?" my grip on the phone tightened as our conversation kept going. First thing- I was grateful to Sunny, our head nurse, giving me a job as soon as I stepped a foot at the Lee Medical Hospital, her family actually owned it and their hospital was one of the bests in the country. 

I heard her sigh on the other line, which was a bit exaggerated. 

"Don't get me wrong Fany, but I thought you were looking for a job, weren't you?"

"Yes I am, but-" I caught a glance at the woman named Jessica, who was silently sitting two chairs away from me.  I stood up tearing my eyes away from the sight. "-not this job Sunny. I am a registered nurse and I don't think looking over a blind person is my forte."

"Fany look-"

"No Sunny, listen to me. I am not doing this, I'm better off helping injured people for free rather than be stucked in here doing nothing and I don't even think she needs a nurse like me." remembering the incident earlier, how she walked away on her own but was pulled back when a maid rushed into her, guiding her towards the house I saw, the Jung residence.

I averted my eyes back at the solemn face of my 'patient' and continued with an unwavering stare. "She looks normal to me." 
A bit normal actually

"Look, she's normal okay? Just that, she's blin-"

"Yeah yeah I know. She's blind, deaf and mute but those won't make me change my mind Sunny. Why not send a caregive-"

"Hwang..."

"What?" maybe I was practically shouting since the conversation was going at the same phase over and over and the hot weather wasn't really helping. I hissed as I irritatingly wiped every drop of sweat tracing on my forehead. I never knew how but my eyes landed again on the silent woman, her side view facing me and her eyebrows furrowed. She still looked normal to me. 
Not that I'm complaining... or maybe I was.

"If you haven't known yet, she isn't deaf."

"..."

"Jessica Jung can definitely hear you."

"W-what?"

 

***

 

Name is Jessica Jung
26 years old
Has an American citizenship
Blind and mute but is definitely not deaf

Those were the only things Tiffany had in mind. Well, she had to dig more since basically- she had to start her job today.


"It's been months since we started looking for some help and we are really glad when Director Lee has recommended you in this job." It was Mrs Jung who was practically smiling from ear to ear since she saw Tiffany. She knew there was a nurse coming on that day and she already had told herself that this was gonna be the last nurse whom Jessica will force out to leave. It had always been the main problem on why they kept changing nurses every month. Jessica's behavior was the main problem.

Tiffany nodded, forcing a small smile.

"So Tiffany, Director Lee may already have told you this but I would like to clarify things again." Mrs Jung genuinely smiled and Tiffany couldn't help but to smile back for real."You'll be working on a week basis, but of course you have your day off during Sundays. Uniform isn't really necessary since the main job we're all asking is for you to be on my daughter's side every single second."

Tiffany frowned at the statement but Mrs Jung continued nonetheless.

"We ask you to stay with her every single moment, because- Tiffany... it isn't going to be an easy job."

"What was that again Mrs Jung?" Tiffany was all dumfounded at the statement. Thinking, why was it going to be difficult when all she had to do was to look after a blind person? It wasn't like she would be able to do something a normal person could do.

"Jessica is somehow different Tiffany."

Different? 

"What do you mean by different, Mrs Jung?" Tiffany asked in a well mannered tone. Her eyes full of curiosity and Mrs Jung was totally aware of that. 

"Well since you'll start working for the sake of my daughter. I will tell you the truth Tiffany." The elder woman sighed and held Tiffany's hand. More like telling Tiffany to stay after hearing what she had to say. "Jessica doesn't want people near her. She tends to push them away. She even tried pushing us away..." Mrs Jung was near choking, holding herself from her burst of emotion. "You're the only person we can depend as of now Tiffany so please stay."

Tiffany didn't know what to say or how to react. It wasn't the typical hiring system she was expecting.
But the thing was, she already had made up her mind.

"I'm taking the job Mrs Jung. I will do my best to address your daughter's needs."

"Thank you Tiffany, that means a lot to us. But like I said earlier, I need to be more specific with your job."

Tiffany, again, was taken aback.

"When I said you'll have to stay with Jessica every time, I really mean it. But you have to take your distance."

"What d-distance Mrs Jung?"

 

***

 

Mrs Jung gave me the lists which are concerning Jessica. Her medicines, her allergies, her dislikes and even her hobbies and the times she usually does them. Just like this afternoon...

"She must be on the balcony." I put the paper list inside my pocket after I made sure that I already had organized my things in my assigned room. The room I am going to stay at actually belonged to the Jungs' other daughter. Well, this was the only room next to Jessica's so they said it was the best option.

I tiptoed as I went towards the glass door. The room I have had its own balcony and it was actually connected to where Jessica was. 
"Keep your distance at least 5-meter away" Mrs Jung's first rule rang inside my head. 

I sure looked like a creep right now. I shook my head from the idea but then, I kept myself unnoticeable for her as much as possible. I silently pulled the sliding door to the right and had myself out, making sure to have the door still open. I must keep this door open every afternoon! I noted to myself as I stepped my feet on the balcony. But I did not see any Jessica near the area.

Mrs Jung said she had to be here-

I heard light grunts on my left and that's when I saw a curved pathway and slowly took small steps towards it. The sounds went louder as I had myself nearer. I could totally assume that the sounds were coming from a rocking chair. Someone must be using one.

A smile crept on my face as I saw her sitting on the rocking chair made of fiber wood. Her right leg pushing against the balcony railing, making the chair swung back and forth. I had no idea what to do. I didn't know if I was allowed to have a small talk with her. Well, she didn't even know me-

"Jessica Jung can definitely hear you"

Or maybe she did.

 

It wasn't even a minute since I was standing here, keeping the 5 meters away of course, when I saw her stopped and had her facial expression blank from the almost sleepy one. It took another 30 seconds before she stood up from her seat and walked into her room, sliding the glass door shut and not forgetting to pull her plain white curtain across it, not allowing myself to see her inside from where I was.

"What the heck was that? Did she just know that I am here?"

Impossible

How can I do my job then?

 

It was already dark outside when I saw her door opened, revealing the blind woman on her simple white shirt and pyjama. 
I was staying inside my room earlier, thinking on what I should do when nothing really came up into my mind. So I decided to just simply wait for her outside since no one was around. And so here I am, my eyes discreetly following her down the stairs. 
As I made sure that she was already at the last step of the stairs, I made my first step on it and silently went my way down. I saw her making her way to the kitchen where a dim light was currently in used. 

Her back was all I could see as I kept following but suddenly, she just disappeared.

Crap! 

I took bigger steps so I could still follow. That's when I saw a glimpse of her hair turning left and so did I.
Turning left, I saw her simply sitting on one of the dining chairs and I also noticed the small box on her hands. It seemed like she was playing it with her expressionless facade. Thinking she couldn't notice that I was just near, I took another risky step.
 

"Ahhhh!" I screamed from the sudden pain, making myself sat on the floor. I cried in pain as I held my right foot, pulling out something which was attached in it. I got small tiny metals from my foot, almost all of them painted with blood. I hitched as I drew my hand on the floor, feeling the small bars of metals which were all smashed down. The pain was still there when I noticed Jessica standing in front of me, her eyes darted somewhere in front and I was just there, looking up at her while still coping myself with the searing pain. 
She simply let go of the small box and had it thrown on the floor beside me.

She walked out of the kitchen after that, her heavy steps echoing in the whole house.

"" I harshly swatted the box away, scattering its insides on the floor.

They were stapler bullets.

 

"This whole idea of ninja thing won't work. Ouch."

 

 


TBC...