Chapter Three: Lee Dae Han

The Three Song
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Three: Lee Dae Han

I quietly pulled out a chair across Father and sat down. His eyes was fixed on his tablet, reading news articles. Mother appeared next to me with rice bowls, placing them in front of Father and me. I observed Father as he picked up his chopsticks and began eating. His focus was still on the tablet. 

"Aigoo, our son is finally starting his high school." Mother sighed as she sat down across me, next to Father. She smiled at me and told me to eat. I picked up mine chopsticks and began eating. We ate breakfast quietly. I noticed Mother looking disapprovingly at her husband. It has always been that way. For as long as I could remember, Father always eat breakfast while reading the newspaper or reading it on the tablet. Finishing up my rice, I set down my chopsticks on the table. 

"You better do well." He voiced sternly the moment I stood up. I responded quietly without looking at him. I went to the refrigerator. I felt a hand on my upper back, Mother smilled at me weakly. I knew she was upset with Father. I could not care less. He was never loving towards me. However, Mother said otherwise. She told me she married my father because he was a loving person, she too could not understand why he is cold towards me. I doubt so. She told me to get ready for school as she went back to her seat. 

...

“Aigoo... " Her eyes began to water as her eyes laid on me. I felt the warmth of Mother’s hands on my cheeks. Being one head shorter than me, she had to look up. "My one and only son is already starting his high school.” She pulled me into a hug. She tried to lower me as she placed her chin on my right shoulder. I smiled to myself. I had to bend down a little to make it comfortable for her. Her hands rubbed comfortably on my back. Warmth crept up from my neck to my face. I felt embarrassed as the school entrance was b with high school students. I began pulling away until she finally released me from her warm embrace. She had her hands on my shoulders again as she reluctantly look at me affectionately. “You know that your father and I love you right?” 

“Yes I love you too Mother." I persuaded her. "You should go or you'll be late for work.” She pats my cheek as she nodded in agreement. She went back in the black car as I turned to walk to the school building. Turning back after a few paces, Mother was still there. Her  eyes were on me. I smiled and waved before turning back and continue walking. I heaved a sigh of relief. If we had stood there any longer, Mother would have probably started crying tears of mixed emotions. 

I remembered her crying when I started elementary school which led me crying too. Middle school was most embarrassing. She could not stop going on and on about how much I had grown and made such a scene at the school entrance on the first day of middle school. I was teased for being a mother's boy but in the end I figured there are some who were jealous of the love I was rec

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter