XIV

Karnival
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Would you stay with me? Even when
Juvenile dreams are nothing but fantasies.


Suho folded his newspapers and removed his spectacles trying to see clearer. A white car had pulled up on the porch and Jiyoon got out, slamming the door shut and lugged her suitcase out of the boot with a thud on the cobbled ground. He was about to approach her when another male got down the car and took the luggage in his hands instead, leaving her with a tiny boston bag.


"So what's the story now? You two are back together or something?" Suho folded his arms in great contemplation, eyeing up and down at the duo who returned hand in hand, slightly resembling the teenagers back in that winter who stuck together like glue. A shy smile lingered on Jiyoon's lips as she retracted her hand from Sehun's to give Suho a warm hug.


"I reckon so."


"Sit down, I need to hear all about it." Suho gestured to the couch and she promptly sat next to him with Sehun sitting opposite, his eyes never leaving Jiyoon.


"Uhm... he came looking for me in London and explained a lot of misunderstandings we had." she her dry lips, avoiding getting into the issues with her father. She really didn't want to talk about it. "And, I forgave him for what he had done back then."


"That fast... don't you think it's too easy for him?" Suho asked with a chuckle, "I thought he'd had to leap through hurdles, fire rings and maybe walk on needles before you actually do."


"You make me sound so mean!" Jiyoon whined but loosened up with his joke. It seemed like he accepted Sehun too and that would mean he stands a chance with the other boys.
 

"Dinner?"


"No, we had it on the flight back. They are coming home soon right?"


"Xiumin and Baekhyun is. The rest are upstairs." Suho realised that Jiyoon was fidgeting around more than usual, constantly avoiding his eyes and basically... off. "Is there something else that I need to know?" he asked eyeing Jiyoon, then Sehun who reacted in the same manner.


"No, nothing." she smiled, rubbing her palms on her jeans. She glanced around, spotting the maids preparing dinner at the table and pointed at them. "I'll go help."


"I've read about the charity events you've helped funded and attend overseas. It's amazing how a busy person like you can clear out an entire day of schedules in the name of charity. People are talking a lot about you, mostly good stuff." Sehun started, rubbing his calloused palms together. "But I've heard of rivals trying to defame you, hyung. They... say awful and baseless things. Do you need me to do something about it?"


"I've always assumed being a busybody isn't in your nature." Suho raised an eyebrow in curiosity before bursting out in hearty laughter that resonated the room. He leaned forward, closer to Sehun. "The problem you see, that I learnt at 18 was that people speak more than they listen and more than they ever think. So the words they spew are thoughtless, loveless and feeble minded. It is a flaw in the society we built upon intelligence, forsaking our morals and principals our ancestors valued."


"People are selfish creatures, a natural animal instinct that is the least wrong but we, are not animals. We are humans gifted with thought and a heart to feel empathy for our same kind. Empathy." he repeated. "It was a difficult English word to learn when I was 12 but more so to think, speak and act with empathy when I became the school president, then a law student and now a lawyer. There are lawyers all around the word but not all are good, a good one who practice morality is extremely rare. The world goes by us in blurred colors as we spin on the roller coaster called life but we should always get a grip of ourselves and be kind. Always."


"You are being kind to yourself by being kind to your enemies. Revenge isn't all that, an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth." Suho shook his head in pity. "It only makes this world a sadder place to live." he brought the coffee mug to his lips with a deep smile. "If only Kyungsoo had learnt."


"Are you going to stay in Korea for good?"


"Perhaps so..." Sehun's words drifted as his gaze landed on Jiyoon waving her hands wildly as she talked about the adventures she experienced in London while the maids listened attentively. Suho cleared his throat and it brought him back from his thoughts. "I'm sorry."


"Nah it's fine. It's the honeymoon period after all. We'll get used to it."


"Look what I bought! The auntie down the corner gave it to me at half price!" a sharp cry interrupted their conversation and they spun around towards the male dressed in black suit with a red helmet over his head. His eyes widened at Sehun seated at the sofa and almost dropped the fried chicken he bought after work. "What in the world..." his voice came out muffled as he approached them in disbelief.


"Baekhyun, do you mind?" Suho frowned.


The male immediately removed his helmet, tossing it on the sofa. "When did he come back? Wait. That's not the main point. Where is Jiyoon? Did you bring her back with you?"


"I didn't know you were that worried over me." a female voice shouted from the kitchen and Jiyoon reappeared with a plate of vegetables.


Baekhyun stuck his tongue out playfully. "We were going to have a feast without you."


"Thanks a lot." she rolled her eyes, ignoring his childish statement. "The food is ready, I'll give the boys a surprise and get the boys down." Jiyoon said excitedly, climbing up the stairs. She headed to the top floor here a mini studio was located, she could hear the faint piano and singing through the soundproof walls and she smiled innerly. Swinging the doorknob open, she peered into the room.


"Dinner's ready~"


"You're back!" the enchanting music stop and two heads spun around to look at her. 


"Yeap." she nodded eagerly. "Where's Yeollie?"


"He's sleeping. He had a high fever for the past few days, his condition was bad." Chen shook his head. "You should go see him."


As soon as she shut the door, she went running down the stairs to his room. She hesitated at the last door at the end of the corridor and was about to knock when the door swing backwards abruptly. Chanyeol looked tired, skinnier maybe. He rarely fell sick and if he does, it was always pretty serious. She was worried.


"Princess?!" Chanyeol's voice was gruff and his droopy eyelids sprang to life. "When did you come back?"


"London was so much fun! I wish you were there. We went to the London Eye it was humongous and the view up there was fabulous. The Buckingham Palace, British Museum and the Big Ben..." she listed one by one with enthusiasm, talking about her picnic adventures and the foreign land she grew to love.


"We?" he asked. Jiyoon finally looked up at the boy who was staring down at her with an affectionate smile. One that was so fond and loving, one that she had always taken for granted. Though they were far from being blood siblings, Chanyeol was the one who connected with her the most throughout her teenage years and they've bonded very well; more like siblings who knew each other inside out, who do the most damage to one another.


She grinned sheepishly, looking down in embarrassment. "Yeah, we."


"Growing up fast, aren't we?" he grinned, ruffling her hair. She was bothered by his palm on her scalp which was frightfully warm and she reached for his cheeks that was flushed a deep red.


"Come on, let's get you to bed big boy. You're still down with a fever." she joked, pulling him back into the room. "I'll ask someone to make you porridge later and remember to eat your medicine. Baekhyun wouldn't be able to handle the company alone." she chided, settling him into bed just like he always did for her.


"Yeollie."


"Mhm?" he hummed sluggishly as Jiyoon pat him gently on his thighs.


"I wanted to tell you first." she continued her sentence tentatively. She knew Chanyeol was not in good terms with Sehun and she was afraid how he would take the news.


"Yup..."


"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter