Gardenia flower

Despite the Odds

“Ahh Hello” Jongin bowed deeply accidentally backing into the closing door. He turned back worriedly to check it hadn’t been a senior before turning around once more remembering he was with his sunbae; his movements where shy and all over the place. Seeing this awkward display Taemin had to suppress a little laugh, he wondered how it were possible that this same boy had only a few hours earlier sent shivers down his spine with a few simple hip movements. He cleared his throat.

“You’re leaving early. I remember when I was a trainee we would have to work late into the night if we wanted to get anywhere.” Jongin laughed shyly.

“Actually hyung, I am returning later. I’m just going out to buy our teacher a gift. He is leaving soon you see.”

“Ahh I see, that’s regretful.” The boys both nodded. At that point the entrance was once again in use as a young woman tried to squeeze past the boys. Jongin apologized and taking Taemin firmly by the arm moved himself and the idol away from the door. Taemin looked down at his arm.

He could feel the boy’s warm hands on his bare skin. It felt, Strong, soft, confident as if they’d touched a thousand times before this. Yet the novelty and excitement was unprecedented. He could feel it so clearly. It almost burned. Electricity ran through his entire body, flowing out from the point of contact like sharp bursts of adrenaline. He found it difficult to focus. Slowly, he looked up at the boy’s face. It was only inches away. He could feel the heat from his breath, from his neck, even his chest radiated passion. Taemin’s eyes stopped on his lips, slightly parted. Like dewy cherries, they looked smooth to the touch. He glanced up. Their eyes locked. Taemin felt his heart beat accelerate as the grip on his arm tightened a little. He tore himself away before the urge to lean in overtook him completely. Jongin removed his hand and put it to the back of his neck. An awkward pause ensued.

“Aigoo, it’s hot today.”

“Yes.” Neither of the two boys looked at each other. They stood by the flower beads that sat along the walls, behind them a sea of colour. A light breeze settled in gently swaying the petals. Jongin looked up and faced the boy in front of him, a loose strand of hair had fallen into his eyes.

“Hyung,” he said. “You really are very talented.” Taemin looked at him and smiled embarrassed. “No really you were absolutely incredible earlier. Of course I saw you’re debut video, but in reality you are even more impressive.”

“Thank you,” Taemin muttered, his cheeks ever rising.

“I hope you will come back to the training rooms again soon, it would be an honour to practise with you.”

“I’d love to..” Jongin looked up excitedly, “But I have a busy schedule these days.” Jongin slowly nodded as he looked to the floor.

“Sorry, of course you do. I didn’t think,” Jongin muttered apologetically. Taemin shook his head and hands at fear of having been misunderstood.

“No really I do have a busy schedule. But I’m sure I can find some time to come back here. Although it will be very difficult, from what I hear this company hates training and hard work.” They smiled at each other.

“Yes, I’ve also heard this company chooses people based solely on talent, and not at all on looks.” The two boys laughed gradually lowering their voices as their jokes became more and more condescending towards the company. By the time Jonghyun walked out of the building the two dancers were leaning on each other in stiches, gasping for breath.

“What’s all this about?” Jonghyun asked wrapping a friendly arm around the maknae. Taemin tried to get his breath back.

“Hyung, this is Kim Jongin. He is a trainee,” Taemin managed to get out. He exhaled unsteadily desperately suppressing another fit of giggles. Jongin on the other hand became far more serious at the rival of his sunbaenim and gave him a formal greeting, which Jonghyun returned before saying,

“Taemin-ah we should go soon, we have a schedule.” He turned to the trainee, “It was nice to meet you.” He then walked off towards the van, Taemin watched after him. Turning back he found pretty boy was leaning over the fence gently tugging at one of the shrubs. It was covered in pretty white flowers all of which were just blossoming.

“What are you doing?”

“Hang on,” Jongin answered as he began plucking off one of the flowers.

“You can’t do that,” Taemin whispered hurriedly. “If we get caught you could be kicked out of the company for damaging property.” Jongin shrugged it off and smiled, then he stood back with the most beautiful of all held in his cupped hands.

“It is a Gardenia,” he spoke in a soft tone. They looked into each other’s eyes before Jongin delicately took the idols hand, turned it over, and placed the flower at its centre. With his other hand he then lightly folded Taemin’s hand and pushed it back towards the idol.

“Hyung, Today was the most fun I’ve had in a while,” he said, his black hair warm against the sun.

“You can call me Taemin, it’s okay.” Jongin blushed.

“Yes, … Taemin” Taemin smiled at him and turned to walk away.

“Oh, I almost forgot.” He whipped a pen out from his back pocket and pulled in Jongin’s hand. With a quick swish of the pen all of his phone number digits were layed down. Taemin watched  Jongin looke down at his hand then back at the idol, before once again bowing, this time gratefully. The van honked loudly behind Taemin and Jonghyun stuck his head out of one of the windows.

“Taemin-ah! Let’s go!” Taemin nodded and adjusted his backpack, once more nodding at his new friend, before strutting over to the van as it gently started to pull out. He waved one final time at Jongin before leaning over and stepping into the car.

As he settled into his seat, and the usual ensuing chatter took hold around him, he looked down into his cupped hands and smiled at the flower that had with it brought love.